PGP-Dirty dancing into a new thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VP, how strong are the chances of the second thing in your spoiler happening? And how good will the location be? If the answer to one or both is not good, I'd go with number one.

That might be the most cryptic post I've ever written. :lol:

Welcome to this century, VP! :wink:

I'm so glad I was able to switch to an iPhone from a BB a few months ago. I hated my phone not long after I got it, and the difference in the two is amazing. I lurve my iPhone!! :lol:

I have to work for most of the weekend, and while the event that we're hosting is going to be hilarious and crazy fun, I'm bummed that I'm going to miss the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics. :sigh: I'm sure I'll be able to watch it online later on, but still. I hate missing out on all of that - the Olympics are one of my favourite things, and now that I'm working I'm going to be missing out on most of them this time around. And yes, my diamond shoes are way too damned tight. :wink:

Phew. I don't think I could handle having to type another sooper sekrit post. :wink:

Ha, sent.

Welcome to this century, VP! :wink:

I'm so glad I was able to switch to an iPhone from a BB a few months ago. I hated my phone not long after I got it, and the difference in the two is amazing. I lurve my iPhone!! :lol:

I have to work for most of the weekend, and while the event that we're hosting is going to be hilarious and crazy fun, I'm bummed that I'm going to miss the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics. :sigh: I'm sure I'll be able to watch it online later on, but still. I hate missing out on all of that - the Olympics are one of my favourite things, and now that I'm working I'm going to be missing out on most of them this time around. And yes, my diamond shoes are way too damned tight. :wink:

I'm guessing you don't have a dvr/pvr?

I don't generally pay that much attention to the summer olympics anyway. I watch the winter olympics far more. Not that I could watch either on tv, these days, no longer having cable. :lol:

A couple of years ago, I was totally convinced I wanted a BB. Then Sarah got her HTC, and it was android all the way. :love:

The reason mine is so cheap, compared to, say, the hot new android out there, the Samsung Galaxy III, is because the processor on mine is apparently a bit slower. I emailed Sarah an in-depth review that bitched about that very thing, and she was all "oh no, you may have to wait two seconds for an app to open?? How ever will you cope??!" So I decided that since I have no point of comparison speed-wise, this phone will do for at least a year, and if I find it too slow, I can buy it out for next to nothing (comparatively) and get something better in a year or so.

I'm guessing you don't have a dvr/pvr?

I don't generally pay that much attention to the summer olympics anyway. I watch the winter olympics far more. Not that I could watch either on tv, these days, no longer having cable. :lol:

A couple of years ago, I was totally convinced I wanted a BB. Then Sarah got her HTC, and it was android all the way. :love:

The reason mine is so cheap, compared to, say, the hot new android out there, the Samsung Galaxy III, is because the processor on mine is apparently a bit slower. I emailed Sarah an in-depth review that bitched about that very thing, and she was all "oh no, you may have to wait two seconds for an app to open?? However will you cope??!" So I decided that since I have no point of comparison speed-wise, this phone will do for at least a year, and if I find it too slow, I can buy it out for next to nothing (comparatively) and get something better in a year or so.

Nope, I've never bothered getting one. I was poor for so long, then I was BEYOND poor and unemployed, and other things have always taken priority when I did have any extra cash. It would be nice to be able to tape stuff like the Olympics, and shows that air when I'm at work or asleep. We'll see what happens once I start getting regular paychecks, and know what my finances will be like going forward. Friday will be my first full paycheck, so that will be NICE! :D

I definitely prefer the winter Olympics too, but there are several summer events that I really enjoy. What with the time difference between here and London, I'll probably just end up watching the highlight shows at night or whatever. :)

:lol: Yeah, if you have nothing to compare it to, you'll probably be fine with your phone.

Nope, I've never bothered getting one. I was poor for so long, then I was BEYOND poor and unemployed, and other things have always taken priority when I did have any extra cash. It would be nice to be able to tape stuff like the Olympics, and shows that air when I'm at work or asleep. We'll see what happens once I start getting regular paychecks, and know what my finances will be like going forward. Friday will be my first full paycheck, so that will be NICE! :D

I definitely prefer the winter Olympics too, but there are several summer events that I really enjoy. What with the time difference between here and London, I'll probably just end up watching the highlight shows at night or whatever. :)

:lol: Yeah, if you have nothing to compare it to, you'll probably be fine with your phone.

I cancelled my cable a year and 4 months ago, and since then, there have been maybe 3 or 4 times when I've regretted it, and wished I could watch something as it aired. I think one of those was The Oscars, which I was totally able to catch up on all I was interested in online, later (Ricky Gervais :love: ) and the others were news/politics/current events-type things. During that time, I've saved $1200.

Yeah, you can definitely save a shit-load of money by not having cable. :up: In the summer I only watch one TV show, so the TV's barely ever on. It seems like such a waste to pay for TV for 3-4 months where I watch virtually nothing. :lol: Oh well.

Yeah, when Sarah went to school, I asked her if she wanted a tv, and she said no, all the kids these days just download what they want to watch. This was 5 years ago, so it was a fairly new concept. Since she and I watched most things together, I wouldn't watch live, I'd save them till she came home and we'd watch together. Eventually, I got so used to that that I realized in a six month period, I'd turned on my tv to watch somethng live like once or twice, and yet I was paying almost $70 per month. It took me a few months to get used to the idea of cutting the cord, and even then, when I did, my cable company offered me basic cable on a two year contract for $16 per month. As I mentioned earlier, I HATE those companies, and the concept of being locked in to a contract (offer me a good service at a decent price and I'll stay forever, I don't need a contract!)...I tried to get them to go to one year for that price and they refused, so I said goodbye, and I've coped just fine. :)

I totally am with you on the hatred of the big companies. I wish there were more (and decent) options out there, especially when it comes to cell phones. I just don't trust the smaller companies to have enough staying power to risk switching to one of them. Thankfully I don't pay too much ($60/month) compared to some people. My bill used to be around $80, but the deal I got when I switched to the iPhone saves me about $20 a month. It's crazy that it's cheaper for me to have an iPhone than a Blackberry. :lol:

VintagePunk said:
I cancelled my cable a year and 4 months ago, and since then, there have been maybe 3 or 4 times when I've regretted it, and wished I could watch something as it aired. I think one of those was The Oscars, which I was totally able to catch up on all I was interested in online, later (Ricky Gervais :love: ) and the others were news/politics/current events-type things. During that time, I've saved $1200.

Thora said:
Yeah, you can definitely save a shit-load of money by not having cable. :up: In the summer I only watch one TV show, so the TV's barely ever on. It seems like such a waste to pay for TV for 3-4 months where I watch virtually nothing. :lol: Oh well.

No cable here either! :hi5: I have the digital antenna thingy. I get networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, etc for free. I am glad I have Netflix so I can see the shows I'm missing out on by not having cable. Best $8 a month I've ever spent. :love:

I would happily switch to a small company (here, we have Wind Mobile and Mobilicity so far), if they had coverage in my area. But as far as the big guys go, I think I got a decent deal:

-200 local minutes, evenings and weekends free (not even an issue with me as I talk local on my phone so seldom)
-unlimited Canada-wide texting
-unlimited my-10 numbers (any 10 numbers for free, nation-wide...hell, I don't even know 10 people :wink: )
-6 gb of data per month

The lowest plan was $53 for the same, but 200 mb of data. The next one up was $63 for 1 gig of data. Mine is $60 for 6 gig.

Not like the recent Mobilicity deal of unlimited everything for like $30-something :sad: but not bad for one of the douchy ones.

No cable here either! :hi5: I have the digital antenna thingy. I get networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, etc for free. I am glad I have Netflix so I can see the shows I'm missing out on by not having cable. Best $8 a month I've ever spent. :love:

I haven't checked it out in a while, but I think Netflix is a bit more limited here than in the US. I get most of my shows via
illegal
downloading.

Although downloading on non-pay/premium cable shows is, I believe, technically classed as illegal downloading, I'm not sure how that would hold up in court, as it's really no different than video recording/dvring/pvring, which are all totally legal.

If full Netflix were fully available here, and I didn't have to buy special equipment to access it, I'd happily pay $8 per month.

Do any of the major cell carriers in Canada offer unlimited data? At all but one of the 4 major carriers here in the US, it's been phased out unless you were grandfathered in before it was done away with.

My plan is $79.99 a month plus taxes. Unlimited mobile to mobile minutes, 450 minutes to landlines(though I think they're free nights and weekends), unlimited texting, unlimited data, etc. I get a discount through work which covers most of the taxes too. :up:

VintagePunk said:
I haven't checked it out in a while, but I think Netflix is a bit more limited here than in the US. I get most of my shows via * SPOILER * downloading.

Although downloading on non-pay/premium cable shows is, I believe, technically classed as illegal downloading, I'm not sure how that would hold up in court, as it's really no different than video recording/dvring/pvring, which are all totally legal.

If full Netflix were fully available here, and I didn't have to buy special equipment to access it, I'd happily pay $8 per month.

I'm taking a screenshot and e-mailing it to Stephen Harper. :tsk:

Ah, that's too bad. And I don't think you need to buy special equipment. You can stream it online and Android makes an app for streaming on the phone.

Do any of the major cell carriers in Canada offer unlimited data? At all but one of the 4 major carriers here in the US, it's been phased out unless you were grandfathered in before it was done away with.

My plan is $79.99 a month plus taxes. Unlimited mobile to mobile minutes, 450 minutes to landlines(though I think they're free nights and weekends), unlimited texting, unlimited data, etc. I get a discount through work which covers most of the taxes too. :up:

No, none of the big ones offer that, only the small independent ones, which have no coverage here (none across Canada, except in capital cities, and if you go outside their coverage areas, they charge you by-minute rates, yikes).

But what I have for $60/month is plenty. I can't imagine going over 6 gigs of data per month, and I've never even come close to 200 talk minutes per month. The main ones I talk to are Sarah, my sister and my mom, and they're all covered under the My-10.

I'm not sure about unlimited data.

With my plan I get Conference Calling & Call Waiting. 200 anytime local minutes. Unlimited nights and weekends. Talk and text to 10 numbers free. Unlimited text/picture/video messaging. Mobile TV. 1GB internet (although if I'm on wifi, it's free). There are a few other things, but I can't remember.

Ah, that's too bad. And I don't think you need to buy special equipment. You can stream it online and Android makes an app for streaming on the phone.

I have Netflix, and I just watch on my computer. Pretty sweet deal. Canada's selection isn't as good as the US, but it seems to be getting better as the months go on.

VintagePunk said:
No, none of the big ones offer that, only the small independent ones, which have no coverage here (none across Canada, except in capital cities, and if you go outside their coverage areas, they charge you by-minute rates, yikes).

But what I have for $60/month is plenty. I can't imagine going over 6 gigs of data per month, and I've never even come close to 200 talk minutes per month. The main ones I talk to are Sarah, my sister and my mom, and they're all covered under the My-10.

That isn't a bad deal at all. :up: I was just curious if any of them did.

The top two companies only offer 2GB a month as their max data plan. Another says they're "unlimited", but slows down the data speeds after you've exceeded a certain number of GB. So 6 GB is a great deal. Just be careful if you stream audio or video, that eats up data like crazy.

I'm taking a screenshot and e-mailing it to Stephen Harper. :tsk:

He's a douche, too. Be sure and mention that in your message to him, 'kay? :kiss:

I don't think I'm enough of a hipster to be happy with watching tv on my phone, I'd prefer a larger screen. :lol:

Thora said:
I have Netflix, and I just watch on my computer. Pretty sweet deal. Canada's selection isn't as good as the US, but it seems to be getting better as the months go on.

:up: I am seriously in love with Netflix. :lol:

VintagePunk said:
He's a douche, too. Be sure and mention that in your message to him, 'kay? :kiss:

I don't think I'm enough of a hipster to be happy with watching tv on my phone, I'd prefer a larger screen. :lol:

What, you don't like having a crazy conservative in charge of your country? Can't imagine why not!

:lol: My favorite hipster joke:

Q: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: It's a pretty obscure number, you've probably never heard of it.

:lol:

That isn't a bad deal at all. :up: I was just curious if any of them did.

The top two companies only offer 2GB a month as their max data plan. Another says they're "unlimited", but slows down the data speeds after you've exceeded a certain number of GB. So 6 GB is a great deal. Just be careful if you stream audio or video, that eats up data like crazy.

Oh wow, I thought you guys had all kinds of unlimited plans to choose from??

There has been a major (or maybe it's just minor, but I've been paying attention, so it seems major) uproar about the fairness of our mobile rates as compared to the rest of the world. Maybe *gasp* it's catching on, and companies are paying attention and adjusting accordingly?

Sarah pays $55 per month, and only gets one gig of data, but she also gets voice mail included in that (i don't get voice mail or call display added, that would be extra). And she says she never gets even close to 1 gig of data. I can't imagine myself using more than her, but since it was $53 for 200 mb and the next price level (on special) was $60 for 6 gig, I took it.

VintagePunk said:
Oh wow, I thought you guys had all kinds of unlimited plans to choose from??

There has been a major (or maybe it's just minor, but I've been paying attention, so it seems major) uproar about the fairness of our mobile rates as compared to the rest of the world. Maybe *gasp* it's catching on, and companies are paying attention and adjusting accordingly?

Sarah pays $55 per month, and only gets one gig of data, but she also gets voice mail included in that (i don't get voice mail or call display added, that would be extra). And she says she never gets even close to 1 gig of data. I can't imagine myself using more than her, but since it was $53 for 200 mb and the next price level (on special) was $60 for 6 gig, I took it.

2 years ago, the only carrier that carried the iPhone at the time switched to the tiered data. I think it had to do with the iPhone slowing down their network? :shrug: And yay for fairer prices. :up:

DG, how are things going with your leg? I often think of Dazzled, as well. Seems she's been in recovery a long time, whereas Sarah's surgeon made it sound as if people who had surgery would have a much shorter recovery period. That could have been a vast generalization, of course.

Speaking of which, I lost some numbers/contact info in the (dreaded) phone changeover (of 2012). DG, as long as you still have the same number as you did in 2008, I still have yours. Thora, I`m not sure. I need Dazzled and Jem's and Wild's and whoever else wants me to have theirs. I can't even remember at this point who all I had.

VintagePunk said:
DG, how are things going with your leg? I often think of Dazzled, as well. Seems she's been in recovery a long time, whereas Sarah's surgeon made it sound as if people who had surgery would have a much shorter recovery period. That could have been a vast generalization, of course.

Speaking of which, I lost some numbers/contact info in the (dreaded) phone changeover (of 2012). DG, as long as you still have the same number as you did in 2008, I still have yours. Thora, I`m not sure. I need Dazzled and Jem's and Wild's and whoever else wants me to have theirs.

The leg has been achy the past few days. I stumbled a couple of times and accidentally bore my full weight on it by accident. :reject: But I find I'm walking with more ease and lately I've only had to take one dose of pain meds a day most days, and there were a couple days where I didn't need them. :up: I had an appointment to get X-rays done and a general check-up on it, but I slept in. :reject: Luckily, I was able to re-schedule for Thursday.

I don't know if you saw, but I posted about Dazz's progress recently a few pages back. With the help of her aide, she's been able to walk a few blocks at a time that have inclines and she's starting to go up and down the stairs again. :) I don't know if Dazz's was a clean break. I know the doctors and nurses said if I had shattered part of the bone or torn a ligament in addition to the break, recovery would have been much longer even with surgery.

I changed my number in 2010. :lol: I'll PM you.

Uh-oh. The alarm on my phone (which I set last night for this morning) just went off. I hope I won't have to spend the rest of the night hitting snooze. :lol:

eta: I don't remember how to get to My Settings to change it. :scream:

Anyway, this is my phone:

LG Mobile Phone | LG Optimus L7 Google Android OS Ice Cream Sandwich with 4.3" display | LG Canada

And holy shit, when I was shopping around, it seems the current trend is for phones to be bigger, these days. Mine is much bigger than Sarah's HTC Desire she got a year and a half ago, but mine was one of the smaller ones available now, with a 4.3" screen.

L7's 'Pretend That We're Dead' popped into my head.

I have the Droid X from 2010. I think it's the same size. I am up for a new phone a few months ago and I want an iPhone so bad.....but I'm waiting for iPhone 5. I could not wait for iPhone to come to Verizon and settled for Droid X. Few months later....it came to Verizon. So, I keep hearing that it's coming, I am going to wait.

Oh, hello everyone. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom