PGP: Countdown to last show of 360....sniffle....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll say it again here, just in case anyone else had a :doh: moment the other day in planning.

USians going to Moncton. Bring your passport! :panic:

I have to play it by ear, not knowing how tired I'll be after my red eye. If I need to stop somewhere in Maine and call it a day, I will, and get up super early the next day to make sure I get there plenty early on Saturday.

My flight gets in really early, so worst case scenario, if I have to find somewhere to crash for a few hours to rest before even starting, I still have a lot of time to drive.

8780159.jpg

This took much longer than it should have at work.

Thanks so much for the posts about me being able to make it to the show after all, you girls rock. :hug:

As it turned out, what was going on with my car wasn't that big of a deal, and nothing I had to see to immediately...but I didn't know that at the time, the "symptoms" it was showing could have pointed to something very, very bad. And with the sort of luck I've been having lately, I didn't want to tempt fate and blow out the motor.

Boring car talk, skip if you're not interested:

I discovered two problems. One, when I was driving, the temperature was mostly fine, but when it was idling, like, at a long stop light, the temperature would go way up, but then after I started driving again, it would slowly drop back to normal. Also, when the temperature went up, warm air was blowing into the vents in the car, even though it was set to cool (not a/c, though). Then Saturday night when I got home from my errands, I noticed a big patch in my driveway where it looked like some sort of fluid had leaked. As I'm sure you all know, overheating a car is very, very bad, and all I could think of was driving in this heat on the 400 highways going 130 kmh/nearly 80 mph, and having the car overheat and the engine blow.

When checking this out with my ex Sunday, we also discovered that my transmission fluid was low. My car had also been showing some minor symptoms of transmission probs that scared the crap out of me, because fixing that can cost thousands.

Through trial and error and checking fluid levels and seeing if any more leaked out after they were filled and after the car was taken for a couple of good drives, my ex helped me determine that the transmission leak is a very slow one, and putting the fluid in made the transmission problems go away immediately. This is very good news, because that means the transmission itself is not damaged, I just need to check the levels from time to time, and put more in as needed.

As for the overheating, my ex noticed that the rad fans weren't coming on, and figured that was the problem, since there didn't seem to be a rad leak. Later Sunday I was looking up the problem online, and it said a way to test your fans is to see if they come on while you have the a/c on. I did that, and they did come on. For some reason, they're not coming on when the a/c isn't on, so that's not normal, but as long as I keep the a/c on, it's fine. That's not a permanent fix by any means, but at least I can drive it in the heat without worrying about overheating now. And when the air temp is cooler, it doesn't heat up that much, anyway, it's only on very hot days (which it has been lately) that it happens.

I also called my mechanic first thing Monday morning and told him about it. He didn't seem to think the heating up while idling was that big of a deal in this weather. I was actually supposed to take the car into him this morning so he could check it, but then after it got to Burlington and back fine, I cancelled.

So, if all this had happened a few days before it did, and I'd had time to figure it out, I could have driven to get the Go Train no problem. But as things stood at the time, I couldn't take the chance until I knew. Just sucks that all this came up the evening before I was supposed to leave.

I also feel the pain of the tour coming to an end. Looks like my one show for this leg will be the one in Chicago last week. Even went so far as to check airfares to Moncton, and nearly swallowed my tongue. :sad: "Memories . . . all alone in the moonlight . . . ." :sad:

OMG, I just saw some of the photos that the photographer took at the party for my Mom/Aunt last month. :heart:

It's EXTREMELY rare for all of us to be in one spot at the exact same time, so the pictures are pretty damn special. I LOVE this one of all of us. :lol:

family-1.jpg

I really hope she posts some more soon, or gives prints to my mom/aunt that I can see sometime. She's really talented. :D

Sarah and I were at the back hugging during it. :)

I didn't hear what happened to Liz till after the show. :( We were supposed to look for each other at the back, the same place we stood together with Jem for one of the shows in '09. Lila texted me during Interpol to ask if I knew of any tickets, but didn't say who for. After the show, I heard what happened and we looked in the hotel lobby for her (we'd made half-assed plans to find each other). No sign of her, but we texted later, and she was in a bar down the street. Said she'd looked in the lobby for us, but we weren't there. It did take us a long time to get out. She asked us to come to the bar, but it was late and we had to get to the Go Station.

Aw, nice, Thora! :heart:

Sarah took a few pics of us, and I look like complete crap in all of them, except for the one where she instructed me to "make the worst face possible." That one came out pretty okay. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom