PGP: Blue craic, Y U NO WORK...going Paleo on yer arse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have the DVD, and I watched.

Many times. :shifty:

I'm looking forward to it!

Oooh, really? Awesome! What specific sort of fossil did you find?

We were nominally there looking for tiny mammal bones (the rocks were from the early-mid Cretaceous period, so dinosaurs were still around, but the researchers we were digging on behalf of were interested in what mammals were running around under the dinosaurs' feet), but mostly we found fish, turtle, and dinosaur bones. The big one I found was the femur (thigh bone) of a hypsilophodontid dinosaurs... and it wasn't very big, by dinosaur standards. Hypsilophodonts were little bipedal herbivores that were generally about a metre or two long (three to six feet).

:nerd:

I don't like being pushy, either. I remember my mom, when she worked at a Pier 1, talked about how the higher ups were constantly giving out memos to the employees to push these "instant credit" sorts of things on customers. My mom did manage to rack up quite a few of those over her time there, but the people who signed up for them did so because they wanted them and my mom didn't force it on them, they liked her sales pitch style. But the higher ups wanted the employees to pretty much do anything possible to try and get customers to accept these, forgetting that, like you said, customers don't like pushy salespeople. And these cards, many people either didn't need them, or it was just one more card they'd have to add to their endless list of store/credit/debit cards. They probably feel like they'll have to pay something eventually or the store's going to have some sort of hold on them for this "gift" or whatever, and even if that's not the case, I can see where they'd be suspicious and wary.

Bah... I hate those cards. I don't really want loads of cards in my wallet, and I don't go to any clothing shop often enough to make it feel worthwhile. Good on your mum for not pushing them!

We have some cool, free offers at our store, too, but if a customer says no to one, I let it go at that. So does everyone else.

And good on you too! :up:

:scratch: You say "fangirling" like it's a bad thing :p.

Seriously, hehe, oh, yeah, the temptation is strong, isn't it? YouTube is frighteningly addictive that way.

Well... it's been a while since I've fangirled about anything... well, there was Doctor Who in general, I suppose... and... uh... I know you're never too old... but... and... er... *cough* Anyway. :D

Oh it is. I spent pretty much the whole of yesterday reading about megafauna extinction (that was FB and Wikipedia's fault), then reading about Hamlet, and then watching David Tennant on You Tube. Curse that "related content" section!!

Right. Practice. Now.

Night, Tara :wave:!

We were nominally there looking for tiny mammal bones (the rocks were from the early-mid Cretaceous period, so dinosaurs were still around, but the researchers we were digging on behalf of were interested in what mammals were running around under the dinosaurs' feet), but mostly we found fish, turtle, and dinosaur bones. The big one I found was the femur (thigh bone) of a hypsilophodontid dinosaurs... and it wasn't very big, by dinosaur standards. Hypsilophodonts were little bipedal herbivores that were generally about a metre or two long (three to six feet).

:nerd:

Awesome. That's a pretty interesting find no matter what you're looking for. It's always cool to find out about what lived alongside the dinosaurs, how they managed to survive amongst them (and you realize how long some of the animals we're familiar with today have lasted as a result and it's sorta mind-boggling).

I like it when people get all geeked out about stuff like that. You learn something new, and it's a different sort of hobby/interest to talk about :).

Bah... I hate those cards. I don't really want loads of cards in my wallet, and I don't go to any clothing shop often enough to make it feel worthwhile. Good on your mum for not pushing them!

And good on you too! :up:

You prove my point exactly! The higher ups should talk to customers like you more often.

Also, thanks :).

Well... it's been a while since I've fangirled about anything... well, there was Doctor Who in general, I suppose... and... uh... I know you're never too old... but... and... er... *cough* Anyway. :D

Oh it is. I spent pretty much the whole of yesterday reading about megafauna extinction (that was FB and Wikipedia's fault), then reading about Hamlet, and then watching David Tennant on You Tube. Curse that "related content" section!!

Right. Practice. Now.

LOL. Yeah. Something like that :shifty:.

Haha, oh, god, yeah, it's scary how the "related content" stuff can get you sucked in so quickly! All I do is go online to read/watch one or two things, and then before I know it I've got, like, 10 tabs open and it's 3 hours later and I'm pouring through all sorts of stuff and thinking, "Ooh, that looks interesting!" or "Just one more article/video, I swear...". They've gotten good at making you stick around, those internet people.

Hope practice goes well if/when you get around to it ;). Hehe.

:reject: Instead of studying I sat in the garden for about two hours with a cat on my lap. Hey I am supposed to brush her daily, as per the doctor's orders. Not my fault she stays for two hours, right? :shifty:

:grumpy: Can I have my extra hour of sleep back now?

:hug: Time changes SUCK. I mean, I'm gloriously happy for the extra hour of daylight, but it messes my body up SO much. It took a week for me to feel like I wasn't a zombie. :lol: It didn't help that I was ALREADY exhausted from starting work again the day after the time change - when you added in the messed up hours in the day, that just made things worse. :crack: :lol:

Hopefully you'll adjust quickly!

It is SOOOO sunny outside today! :love: I'm going to have to go for a nice long run/walk this afternoon. Gotta take advantage of the sun whenever I can. :D

Question: If you had to choose, what would be your absolute fav moment from a show you were at this tour?

Mine would be when the band came out in Winnipeg. Front row, first ever GA, Amy and I losing our minds! Nothing like seeing the band up close for the very first time.

Popped my U2 cherry :shifty:

Sounds like a good idea to me :D.

Yeah. There's very few people with the temperament for such a job, I don't blame you for wanting to avoid that as much as possible, and I'm sorry it didn't work out that way. I remember reading that "Customer is NOT Always Right" book and reading about some of the good comebacks people who worked in customer service had for rude customers, and I was like, "God, I wish I could tell people off like that...".

I just don't understand why some customers think being rude is a good idea. I'm not going to be any more willing to help you if you're screaming at me or being bitchy or whatever. And if I do give you what you want, it's only because I'm scared shitless of you/want you to go the fuck away, and that's not a very good business model. I certainly understand customers' frustrations sometimes, I've been there, too. I just wish they'd learn that we in customer service can get just as confused or frustrated by the policies that are in place as they are, and we didn't come up with them, we just enforce them 'cause we'd lose our jobs if we didn't.

Bah. Anywho, glad to know you'll be free of that. Also sorry that your dinner didn't turn out as good as you'd hoped.

I do customer service via phone/email for a cool company, but some days are really hard. They tolerate me and my cube mate joking around all day, otherwise I don't think I could do it. We're still small enough that we can give fairly personalized service, so calls tend to go well most of the time. I hate giving in to nasty people but sometimes the only way to get them go away and stop being crazy is to give in. My boss and I have debated it hotly a few times - I think giving in is rewarding bad behavior and just encourages a world where the shitheads get what they want. He just wants happy customers. I try to reward the nice people as much as possible with surprise coupons off and indulge some chit chat. Some of the people who call us though, they're clearly disturbed and I'm still at a loss as to what to do with those calls.

Speaking of customer service - I got crap customer service from Edun. It was really sad!

The fact that I listen to U2 all day long through my ear buds when not on the phone probably saves my sanity, too. Something soothing about Bono's voice in my ear helps ease the trauma.

Question: If you had to choose, what would be your absolute fav moment from a show you were at this tour?

Mine would be when the band came out in Winnipeg. Front row, first ever GA, Amy and I losing our minds! Nothing like seeing the band up close for the very first time.

Can I have 3 favorite moments?
- opening strains of EBTTRT (I had stayed spoiler free all spring)
- Larry winking at me ('nuff said)
- Being 2nd row right under Bono, having him come out, me and my BFF FREAKING out (even though I'd been front rail plenty of times, and been near Bono when he was on stage plenty of times, something about being THAT close for most of the show, esp when he first comes out)

it all seems like soooooo long ago

:shifty: Does before the show count too? If so, TO is pretty damn high on my list!

Otherwise, seeing Zooropa live from the first time @Montreal I. Earlier that evening we met a semi drunk Norwegian guy who was partying with his friend, I saw him again right before Zooropa started, we just stood there, when the screen came down, the intro started, both our jaws hit the floor. After the song I remember myself saying I canNOT believe we just saw that. He hugged me, and we both went our separate ways again.

:lol: Oh the magic at U2 shows. Though we bumped into each other again for Crazy Tonight, we jumped up and down with a bunch of people there on the side of the pit, it was pretty hilarious.

Oh my god, where to start?! :love: I'll skip over the two shows I saw in 2009. Doing GA for the first time in Seattle on the last leg was amazing. Made some great new friends in line. The whole GA experience was just incredible. I'd been spoiled on EBTTRT, but every other song after it was a surprise (I had avoided most of the blue crack and hidden all my U2 friends on FB/Twitter for the few months prior in order to avoid as many spoilers as possible), especially AIWIY. I pretty much lost it. :lol:

For Montreal, one of my favourite moments has to be night 2, when they played OOC. Kaffy and I had our own little dance party way at the back. :lol: Everyone else around us had no clue what the song was, so they were looking at us like we were crazy for being so damn excited. :laugh: That was awesome.

Denver: Getting the smile from Adam during Crazy Tonight as I sang it at him *points to avi* and then making him crack the hell up immediately after when Bono started the chorus and he noticed just *what* concert shirt I was wearing :lol: (The first and only time he stopped on the catwalk by my part of Red Zone the entire night!)

SLC: Zooropa for my birthday! I'd got it in Denver three days before too, but having that start up just before midnight Eastern and having that as my birthday song... :heart:

Montreal 2: "Shine like stars" and Ingrid and I freaking out way in the back of GA!

Minneapolis: Epic rain and shirtless Adam! :drool::faint:

Non-show moments:

Denver: Red Rocks!

SLC: Landing in an airport surrounded by mountains :)

Winnipeg: Watching three friends doing their first GA up close and personal *g*

Edmonton: Having the entire Edmonton Eskimos football team walk past me in the hotel lobby (huge defensive linemen are HUGE, yo :wink:)

Montreal: Sightseeing with the girls and sitting with them as they saw U2 3D for the first time. Getting my do-over with Edge even though I couldn't get a picture, thanking him for making my 40th birthday special :heart: Party Train!!

TO: The International Room of Awesome. Seeing the Claw from the hotel bar before they realized the hotel was being invaded by U2 fans and closed the curtains. Playing Mother Hen and tour guide from the train station to the hotel. Managing to get Crystal to the Hideout in time for her to get that dedication I'd asked Brady and Kevin for after the show.

I share this. Being up close for the first time, and seeing that leather...:drool:

The absolute freak out we had when Larry hit the stage was priceless! :heart:

:wave: I've been MIA all week - it's been hectic around here to say the least. But Mr CK brought me a WONDERFUL surprise Friday afternoon - a Samsung Galaxy S II :D
My number stayed the same (the joys of porting), I was able to take the new phone and the old phone to AT&T (my new provider) and get my contacts transferred, and was shown how to transfer my photos, which I will do on Monday once the hubby & son are at work/school and I have the place to myself - FroBaby will nap and it'll get done easier that way.

I am barely capable of using it but so far I'm learning how to not be terrified of it lol. I need to figure out how/where I can find MW as a ringtone and get it. Also I need to know if Interference has an Android app and if it will cost me to d/l. I'm all about free apps since I barely know how to use them lol.

And yes, both kidlets are doing well. FroBaby is having some formula issues but we're working our way through them. And Lil' CK lost his 1st tooth on Friday as well! So the Tooth Fairy is now adding our house to her list. She left $2 for him Friday night and he was ecstatic about it Sat morning. :cute:

Am I missing any major U2 news? Other than Adam saying U2 is working on an album. Seems like someone is ALWAYS saying that so I have learned not to get 'too' excited...

Yay for new toys! :D There are websites you can go to where you can make your own ringtones for free, if you can't actually buy MW somewhere. I haven't done it in a while, but I'm sure a simple Google search will find you any number of sites where you can do that for free. I've made ringtones from live concerts, TV show themes and so on, if I haven't been able to find them from my provider's website. :lol:

$2? Wow, the tooth fairy has gotten pricey since I was a kid! :wink:

I haven't heard anything U2-wise, but then again I never know what's going on anyway, so I'm not very helpful in that regard. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom