PGP: Blue craic, Y U NO WORK...going Paleo on yer arse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for a 2 and a half hour hike with the family.....it was supposed to be an easy hike - next thing you know I'm scaling large rocks with a toddler on my back.

That was a great pic you posted on Facebook. So cute!

:wave: hey, all. How's everyone? I'm in Florida visiting my "new" family. Have met my grandfather and an aunt and an uncle. The uncle and his wife are very cool. We went on a great boat ride on a rented pontoon boat yesterday. We saw a ton of alligators and turtles but no manatees. Swam in a spring.

It's both a good vacation (it's warm here ZOMG, I don't need a coat, it's bliss!) and awkward, with this whole "new" family thing.

My uncle and I talked while swimming, and it was weird to have him tell me that he was mad at my biodad for years because of what happened. He was 10 and loved having me (a baby) around, and then I was just gone, and no one would tell him what happened.

So it's been interesting. But ZOMG warm weather. Going back to Seattle is going to be tough. Although I of course really miss my kitty.

:wave: hey, all. How's everyone? I'm in Florida visiting my "new" family. Have met my grandfather and an aunt and an uncle. The uncle and his wife are very cool. We went on a great boat ride on a rented pontoon boat yesterday. We saw a ton of alligators and turtles but no manatees. Swam in a spring.

It's both a good vacation (it's warm here ZOMG, I don't need a coat, it's bliss!) and awkward, with this whole "new" family thing.

My uncle and I talked while swimming, and it was weird to have him tell me that he was mad at my biodad for years because of what happened. He was 10 and loved having me (a baby) around, and then I was just gone, and no one would tell him what happened.

So it's been interesting. But ZOMG warm weather. Going back to Seattle is going to be tough. Although I of course really miss my kitty.

Glad it's going well. I know that can be tough having visited my father's family that I was sort of part of. Have fun. We'll be Florida in a week!

Glad to hear your time's going well so far, cori! I'm jealous of you being in the warm weather.

My parents are going on a cruise of the Panama Canal starting on Monday (my Dad's wanted to do this trip all his life, so it's a huge deal for him), and I'm supremely jealous. I want to go to the warmth too!!

A U2 person? :shifty:

Nope - he's practically a kid (late 20s or early 30s) and listens to some decent music but also angry white boy stuff like Incubus.

I'm off to bed now so I can be up for the vote in the morning. I know politics isn't for everyone, and for those of you not interested, thanks for ignoring/indulging me. Angela, thanks for your interest. :hug: This really is important to me. Like a new U2 album important. :lol:

:shocked:

Awesome news, GG! :hi5:

I found out yesterday that Monday's my last day at my contract. It's shorter than I was told, but I'm not mad at all. Yes, it's less money, but I am SO glad to be getting out of there and away from one person in particular, so it all evens out in the end. :lol: :crack:

Probably for the best. Glad you got some money and got out of the house for a bit. Here's to the next opportunity!

I went for a 2 and a half hour hike with the family.....it was supposed to be an easy hike - next thing you know I'm scaling large rocks with a toddler on my back.

Saw the pics - looks awesome! you rock!!!

Big race tomorrow - the Tucson Triathlon. My start time is 8:16 so if y'all could send some positive vibes my way between 8 and 9:30am PST, that'd be awesome!

Go Zu!! I will be thinking of you. You rock because you still do triathlons. I suck at the swim and bike...so I stick with what I know.

Probably for the best. Glad you got some money and got out of the house for a bit. Here's to the next opportunity!

Saw the pics - looks awesome! you rock!!!

Big race tomorrow - the Tucson Triathlon. My start time is 8:16 so if y'all could send some positive vibes my way between 8 and 9:30am PST, that'd be awesome!

Absolutely on all counts! It was definitely good to get out of the house consistently for a few weeks. Now onto the next adventure! :D

Vibes being sent in advance, and I'll be thinking of you in the morning too! You'll do awesome, I'm sure! :cheer:

Thora, yeowza, the customer stuff :crack:. Ah. Gotta love customer service, eh? Sorry you had to deal with that, but I'm glad you're free of that now and aren't having to deal with that ick job anymore.

:dance:

I'll get my hours at work. It'll be shitty times like early mornings or late evenings, but hey, it's hours. Hours = money. Means I can officially afford the week Ireland me and Jem were planning! :hyper: :fuckyeah:

Awesome. Very glad to hear that :up:. Sucks the hours aren't better, but like you said, it's hours, and you got what you were fighting for in the end, so yay.

And now I shall be jealous of you because of your mention of going to Ireland :p.

Cori, glad you've been having fun in Florida, though I don't doubt those family moments would indeed be awkward. Hopefully things are going well overall on that front, though.

And sending good vibes on to you, Zu, for your race tomorrow. Good luck!

Ugh. So my dinner tonight is disgusting. I found a crockpot recipe that sounded good, but nope. No good - it tastes boring and gross. Thankfully it isn't too much of a waste, as I only had to buy one ingredient (everything else I had normally), and it wasn't too pricey. But that's really disappointing. It's too late to start cooking anything else. Maybe I'll just have a sandwich or something. BOO-URNS! :sigh:

Thora, yeowza, the customer stuff :crack:. Ah. Gotta love customer service, eh? Sorry you had to deal with that, but I'm glad you're free of that now and aren't having to deal with that ick job anymore.

Yup, I'm not cut out for all that crap. :lol: When they offered me the job I almost said no, because I hate that. When I signed up with the temp agency I specifically said I wouldn't do that job, but yet they offered it to me anyway. :eyebrow: Whatever. :lol: I can hack one more day. I may have to go out for sushi on Monday just to celebrate it being done. :laugh:

Glad you're having fun, Cori. :hug:

*sends vibes*

Yup, I'm not cut out for all that crap. :lol: When they offered me the job I almost said no, because I hate that. When I signed up with the temp agency I specifically said I wouldn't do that job, but yet they offered it to me anyway. :eyebrow: Whatever. :lol: I can hack one more day. I may have to go out for sushi on Monday just to celebrate it being done. :laugh:

Sounds like a good idea to me :D.

Yeah. There's very few people with the temperament for such a job, I don't blame you for wanting to avoid that as much as possible, and I'm sorry it didn't work out that way. I remember reading that "Customer is NOT Always Right" book and reading about some of the good comebacks people who worked in customer service had for rude customers, and I was like, "God, I wish I could tell people off like that...".

I just don't understand why some customers think being rude is a good idea. I'm not going to be any more willing to help you if you're screaming at me or being bitchy or whatever. And if I do give you what you want, it's only because I'm scared shitless of you/want you to go the fuck away, and that's not a very good business model. I certainly understand customers' frustrations sometimes, I've been there, too. I just wish they'd learn that we in customer service can get just as confused or frustrated by the policies that are in place as they are, and we didn't come up with them, we just enforce them 'cause we'd lose our jobs if we didn't.

Bah. Anywho, glad to know you'll be free of that. Also sorry that your dinner didn't turn out as good as you'd hoped.

Sounds like a good idea to me :D.

Yeah. There's very few people with the temperament for such a job, I don't blame you for wanting to avoid that as much as possible, and I'm sorry it didn't work out that way. I remember reading that "Customer is NOT Always Right" book and reading about some of the good comebacks people who worked in customer service had for rude customers, and I was like, "God, I wish I could tell people off like that...".

I just don't understand why some customers think being rude is a good idea. I'm not going to be any more willing to help you if you're screaming at me or being bitchy or whatever. And if I do give you what you want, it's only because I'm scared shitless of you/want you to go the fuck away, and that's not a very good business model. I certainly understand customers' frustrations sometimes, I've been there, too. I just wish they'd learn that we in customer service can get just as confused or frustrated by the policies that are in place as they are, and we didn't come up with them, we just enforce them 'cause we'd lose our jobs if we didn't.

Bah. Anywho, glad to know you'll be free of that. Also sorry that your dinner didn't turn out as good as you'd hoped.

I've DEFINITELY wanted to give some people an earful, but obviously held back. :wink: And you're absolutely right - yelling/screaming at me and being rude is not going to help at all. :tsk:

I ended up having a sandwich, and that was fine. I'll have something better to eat tomorrow night. :)

Ugh. So my dinner tonight is disgusting. I found a crockpot recipe that sounded good, but nope. No good - it tastes boring and gross. Thankfully it isn't too much of a waste, as I only had to buy one ingredient (everything else I had normally), and it wasn't too pricey. But that's really disappointing. It's too late to start cooking anything else. Maybe I'll just have a sandwich or something. BOO-URNS! :sigh:

Bummer. That happened to me awhile ago. I substituted the cooking method and a couple ingredients and it sooooo wasn't the same. Fortunately Mr.Z and little Z didn't complain too much.

Thanks for all the vibes, PGP - I'm woefully undertrained for this race due to some injuries, and I'm doing the ultimate no-no, which is wearing new gear on race day (new goggles, mine started leaking yesterday, new cap, new top and shoes I've only done a few runs in). Good thing I don't really care about my times! :wave: Trying to go to bed early - see you on the other side.

Daz had suggested "PGP: Going Paleo - digging for bones" :giggle:

Palaeontology?? :hyper:

I suspect I may be the only person here who actually has dug for actual fossil bones... :wink:

I found a big one once, too... :shifty:

:hug:s and good vibes for everyone!

Glad you're getting your hours, GG... will you be getting paid back for what you missed as well?

Good luck Zu for the race! You're awesome for even entering. :D

And good luck Thora for the next job adventure! You were doing customer service in this one? You poor thing.. :hug: I never want to do that sort of work again, but sometimes we don't get a choice.
(When I was fresh out of uni with a shiny new useless science degree, I worked for a week selling phone subscriptions door-to-door... it was horrible. I did meet some nice people, but I also had a guy threaten to set his dog on me before I'd said two words. I was never pushy either - if they said no, I said "fine" and left. I can't stand pushy sales people - if I said no the first time, why would I change my mind after you contradict me and spew more of your sales pitch?? Yeesh.)

Glad things are going well with the "new" family, Cori. :hug:

Need to practice... haven't done any since Tuesday. :uhoh: Need to resist the urge to watch David Tennant videos on You Tube all day instead (like I totally didn't do yesterday)... I think I'm fangirling. :reject:

Bummer. That happened to me awhile ago. I substituted the cooking method and a couple ingredients and it sooooo wasn't the same. Fortunately Mr.Z and little Z didn't complain too much.

Thanks for all the vibes, PGP - I'm woefully undertrained for this race due to some injuries, and I'm doing the ultimate no-no, which is wearing new gear on race day (new goggles, mine started leaking yesterday, new cap, new top and shoes I've only done a few runs in). Good thing I don't really care about my times! :wave: Trying to go to bed early - see you on the other side.

Glad they ended up eating it! This was pretty bland and inedible. :yuck: I tried adding a few ingredients in the hopes that it would improve the flavour, but no dice. Oh well - you win some, you lose some. I've been mostly winning with food lately, so it's not a huge deal. :)

Sleep well!

And good luck Thora for the next job adventure! You were doing customer service in this one? You poor thing.. :hug: I never want to do that sort of work again, but sometimes we don't get a choice.
(When I was fresh out of uni with a shiny new useless science degree, I worked for a week selling phone subscriptions door-to-door... it was horrible. I did meet some nice people, but I also had a guy threaten to set his dog on me before I'd said two words. I was never pushy either - if they said no, I said "fine" and left. I can't stand pushy sales people - if I said no the first time, why would I change my mind after you contradict me and spew more of your sales pitch?? Yeesh.)

Thanks! :hug: My dream job will be hiring in April, so I have my fingers crossed for that one. :)

I was a receptionist, so I had to deal with people coming into the office who were pissed off. I hated being a receptionist when I did it many moons ago, so this feels like it was a huge step back. I'm not going to put it on my resume, so I'll just thank them for the money and move on. :lol:

Oh man, that sounds horrible! I can imagine that would be rough. And I totally agree - when I was in retail, I never tried to coerce people into purchasing something they really didn't want. If they said no, that was good enough for me, commission be damned. :lol:

David Tennant :drool: :love:

Zu's already seen this... I dunno if you're into Shakespeare at all, but this is from a DVD of Hamlet that he did...

David Tennant - Hamlet's Soliloquy (RSC Hamlet) - YouTube

I have the DVD but haven't watched it yet... Mum and I have a Hamlet date for Easter.

Thanks! :hug: My dream job will be hiring in April, so I have my fingers crossed for that one. :)

Wow, my fingers will be crossed for you too! :up:

I was a receptionist, so I had to deal with people coming into the office who were pissed off. I hated being a receptionist when I did it many moons ago, so this feels like it was a huge step back. I'm not going to put it on my resume, so I'll just thank them for the money and move on. :lol:

Eeew... I did reception once too, after the call centre job that almost literally drove me insane. (I had a bit of a mini-breakdown at work and quit what was otherwise a pretty good job, except for the phone bit.) It wasn't toooo bad, it was for a solicitor's office, but I still dreaded every phone call and every person who walked in the door. I only got abused a few times... :happy:

Oh man, that sounds horrible! I can imagine that would be rough. And I totally agree - when I was in retail, I never tried to coerce people into purchasing something they really didn't want. If they said no, that was good enough for me, commission be damned. :lol:

I've had some really pushy telemarketers... don't they understand that being rude to me isn't going to make me buy their product? :rolleyes:

Mind you, I got one telemarketer with an Irish accent... I let him give me his whole spiel just to hear him talk. :giggle:

I've DEFINITELY wanted to give some people an earful, but obviously held back. :wink: And you're absolutely right - yelling/screaming at me and being rude is not going to help at all. :tsk:

I ended up having a sandwich, and that was fine. I'll have something better to eat tomorrow night. :)

:yes: Agreed. I tell them off in my head, so that helps a little :p.

Cool. Can't go wrong with a sandwich. Yay for better meals to come, too!

Palaeontology?? :hyper:

I suspect I may be the only person here who actually has dug for actual fossil bones... :wink:

I found a big one once, too... :shifty:

Oooh, really? Awesome! What specific sort of fossil did you find?

YES. This, too.

I don't like being pushy, either. I remember my mom, when she worked at a Pier 1, talked about how the higher ups were constantly giving out memos to the employees to push these "instant credit" sorts of things on customers. My mom did manage to rack up quite a few of those over her time there, but the people who signed up for them did so because they wanted them and my mom didn't force it on them, they liked her sales pitch style. But the higher ups wanted the employees to pretty much do anything possible to try and get customers to accept these, forgetting that, like you said, customers don't like pushy salespeople. And these cards, many people either didn't need them, or it was just one more card they'd have to add to their endless list of store/credit/debit cards. They probably feel like they'll have to pay something eventually or the store's going to have some sort of hold on them for this "gift" or whatever, and even if that's not the case, I can see where they'd be suspicious and wary.

We have some cool, free offers at our store, too, but if a customer says no to one, I let it go at that. So does everyone else.

Need to resist the urge to watch David Tennant videos on You Tube all day instead (like I totally didn't do yesterday)... I think I'm fangirling. :reject:

:scratch: You say "fangirling" like it's a bad thing :p.

Seriously, hehe, oh, yeah, the temptation is strong, isn't it? YouTube is frighteningly addictive that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom