PGP: Blue craic, Y U NO WORK...going Paleo on yer arse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, of course. Certainly we in the U.S. have our fair share of tragic history of losing presidents in office. Been fortunate so far to not be witness to such things (though 9/11 certainly came close, because one of the planes was destined for the White House), and I hope I never am.

He sounded like a very cool guy. I'm sorry I'm only hearing about him now. I wish we had more people like that in our government here.

Okay, cool. Gotcha. Thanks for the detail and explanation-I think it makes perfect sense the way you discussed it :).

Makes me wonder if that's how things would start to go if we had a legitimate third party here in the States. That could make things a lot more interesting politically. Is there any particular reason the NDP often lags behind the other two parties?

I'll certainly check him out more. You have me curious to learn more about him. I hope you guys manage to find someone good to take over from here-good luck :).

I'm curious about the scandals now :p. Ah, politics and scandal, such common bedfellows.

Sorry guys, ignore the politics if you want. :reject:

I think it's because while you guys have your right and left, we have our right and left and a little more left. Keep in mind though that our right is still probably way left of your right. But anyway...basically, our left votes are split between two parties, one that is actually left, and one that is a bit more moderate. Popular (but not necessarily correct) opinion has it that the very left party will bankrupt us while funding all the social programs ever (no one will have to work! We can quit our jobs and stay home and leach off of those who do work! I'll be lazy people nirvana!). This is not true. The NDP are currently running a very successful government in the province of Manitoba. Plus, I think anyone with any critical thinking skills at all can see that conservative fiscal policies DO NOT WORK. They achieve the exact opposite of what they say they will. the rich get richer while the rest of us...flounder.

I think a big thing in Canada with the third party is that people often voted strategically - in other words, voted for the party who would keep the disliked party out - and in leftist terms, that would be the Liberal party, to keep the Conservatives out. Even though I grew up in a strong NDP household, I did this myself, thought that anything to keep the Conservatives out of power would be the best thing, so I voted Liberal. Then the funny thing is, we had an election a year ago, and I was pondering who to vote for. The funny thing is, I gave up cable, don't subscribe to a newspaper, do all my reading online, so it's not like I have a huge media influence in my life. I remember discussing it with Sarah, and saying "okay, voting strategically is bs and a waste of a vote, I'm voting for who I actually want this time." And then within a week, the NDP candidate for our area came to my door. Had a 10 minute conversation with him, told him I was leaning toward him, and then by the end of the conversation, told him to put a sign on my lawn. I adore him, he's awesome, and just what we need. A social worker by profession, so he's in the trenches with people. He ended up coming a close second in our riding, but he's an awesome person, it was his first try and he's making a name for himself in the city, I have complete confidence he'll win next time. We've kept in touch via twitter and I've been to his office a few times...he has a volunteer card for me. :)

But anyway, the funny thing about not voting strategically, I feel like I was part of some mind meld, unbeknownst to me, because that little third party I decided to vote for, even though it may be a lost vote, ended up beating the Liberals by a LOT, so obviously other people were feeling the same way I was. And I think a lot of that had to do with 1) people being pissed off at the Liberal party, and 2) the leader of the party, Jack Layton, his message and sincerity resonating with a lot of people, all at the same time, thus making the NDP a viable federal party, all at the same time. He won the official opposition status by a LOT. Then 4 months later, he died. :( It was the most amazing outpouring of a public figure I've ever seen. Wow. I'm really not affected by the death of celebrities, I didn't know them, but I was genuinely sad about this, still am.

I brought my little guy some Butterfinger bites, but then he got in trouble so he couldn't eat them... sooooo.... *kicks dirt*

No, he is indeed very very sexy, but would probably be fairly suitable... single dad, Christian, good steady job...
No, I know this... well... manwhore. He's good looking, knows all the right things to do and say and sleeps with whomever he wants whenever he wants, and from what I hear, is very good at what he does :wink:

A U2 person? :shifty:

Sorry guys, ignore the politics if you want. :reject:

I think it's because while you guys have your right and left, we have our right and left and a little more left. Keep in mind though that our right is still probably way left of your right.

That really still bothers me greatly, to think we're farther right than many other countries...:sigh:.

But anyway...basically, our left votes are split between two parties, one that is actually left, and one that is a bit more moderate. Popular (but not necessarily correct) opinion has it that the very left party will bankrupt us while funding all the social programs ever (no one will have to work! We can quit our jobs and stay home and leach off of those who do work! I'll be lazy people nirvana!). This is not true. The NDP are currently running a very successful government in the province of Manitoba. Plus, I think anyone with any critical thinking skills at all can see that conservative fiscal policies DO NOT WORK. They achieve the exact opposite of what they say they will. the rich get richer while the rest of us...flounder.

*Nods enthusiastically at the very last sentences of your post* YES. I am anxiously awaiting the day more people here in the U.S. catch on to that fact.

I've never understood that social programs argument, either. My family has benefited from social programs before (we've been on food stamps and such), and yet we still work hard. And when we didn't need the help anymore, we stopped taking it. Lazy people are going to be lazy regardless of what programs are in place. Certainly there are things about the programs that can be improved upon (cut out half the red tape, for instance-I don't know if it's that problematic where you live, but I lost count of how many forms my parents had to fill out to prove they were "worthy" of the help they wanted to get), but there IS a reason they exist, and the same people complaining about them don't realize how much they often benefit from them.

I think a big thing in Canada with the third party is that people often voted strategically - in other words, voted for the party who would keep the disliked party out - and in leftist terms, that would be the Liberal party, to keep the Conservatives out. Even though I grew up in a strong NDP household, I did this myself, thought that anything to keep the Conservatives out of power would be the best thing, so I voted Liberal.

*Nods* That makes sense.

Then the funny thing is, we had an election a year ago, and I was pondering who to vote for. The funny thing is, I gave up cable, don't subscribe to a newspaper, do all my reading online, so it's not like I have a huge media influence in my life. I remember discussing it with Sarah, and saying "okay, voting strategically is bs and a waste of a vote, I'm voting for who I actually want this time." And then within a week, the NDP candidate for our area came to my door. Had a 10 minute conversation with him, told him I was leaning toward him, and then by the end of the conversation, told him to put a sign on my lawn. I adore him, he's awesome, and just what we need. A social worker by profession, so he's in the trenches with people. He ended up coming a close second in our riding, but he's an awesome person, it was his first try and he's making a name for himself in the city, I have complete confidence he'll win next time. We've kept in touch via twitter and I've been to his office a few times...he has a volunteer card for me. :)

Very cool :up:. I understand sometimes you have to go with the best option available, but yeah, if a dream candidate comes along that truly does express every belief you hold dear and they prove themselves to be the best candidate possible, why NOT go with them? So many people here in the U.S. refuse to vote for any possible "third party/independent" candidates because "they'll never win". No, not if you don't vote for them, they won't, you're right. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I always try and vote for whomever is the closest to my beliefs. No candidate has been absolutely 100% in agreement with me yet on every important issue, but if we're in agreement on the majority of things out there, I will happily vote for them.

But anyway, the funny thing about not voting strategically, I feel like I was part of some mind meld, unbeknownst to me, because that little third party I decided to vote for, even though it may be a lost vote, ended up beating the Liberals by a LOT, so obviously other people were feeling the same way I was. And I think a lot of that had to do with 1) people being pissed off at the Liberal party, and 2) the leader of the party, Jack Layton, his message and sincerity resonating with a lot of people, all at the same time, thus making the NDP a viable federal party, all at the same time. He won the official opposition status by a LOT.

Awesome. Proof of what can happen if people actually take a chance and vote for something other than the status quo? That should be an example to voters here in the U.S.

Then 4 months later, he died. :( It was the most amazing outpouring of a public figure I've ever seen. Wow. I'm really not affected by the death of celebrities, I didn't know them, but I was genuinely sad about this, still am.

I fully understand being upset. He seemed like a guy who could make a serious change and had a great leadership about him. It sucks that those are the sorts of people who are snatched away so soon, while the scum of the earth are still alive and kicking.

I'm sorry for the loss :hug:.

That sounds fun, though. And I remember, one of the Now cds was the first piece of U2 music I ever owned. :shifty: :p

G'night!

It is :). Some crap here to slog through, yeah, but man, hearing songs again that I haven't heard in years, along with the occasional artist/song I love? Can't beat that.

I think that was the first U2 sort of thing I owned, too :lol:! I clearly remember owning the second of the Now series (on CASETTE), and that one had "Sweetest Thing" on there, which I loved when I was younger-and that was a good 4 years before my hardcore U2 fandom!

I think I stopped buying the series fairly early in, though, at around 3 or 4. So it'll be interesting to go through the ones I DIDN'T get.

Good night :wave:!

I'm off to bed now so I can be up for the vote in the morning. I know politics isn't for everyone, and for those of you not interested, thanks for ignoring/indulging me. Angela, thanks for your interest. :hug: This really is important to me. Like a new U2 album important. :lol:

I'm off to bed now so I can be up for the vote in the morning. I know politics isn't for everyone, and for those of you not interested, thanks for ignoring/indulging me. Angela, thanks for your interest. :hug: This really is important to me. Like a new U2 album important. :lol:

Hey, you're welcome :) :hug:. I told ya I like discussing this stuff :p.

I'm glad you show such interest. I really hope things do work out for you on this issue. Maybe some of that goodness can trickle down (heh, heh) here to the States for once and we can actually get somewhere positive.

I feel so fucking lame, because I really do love Edge. If it weren't for Bono's sheer sexual magnetism, Edge would probably be my favourite member. And I remember NOTHING. Geez.

It was an amazing night. Not that many people there. Bono actually spent a few minutes talking to each person. It was unbelievably chill, no sense of rushing or anything. I can't even imagine a more ideal setting for a meeting, and I feel unbelievably privileged. And when I was speaking to Edge, no one was even around us. He was just there, milling about. There were maybe 30 or so people there, and they were all around Bono! Drea was there that night.

And I met Larry earlier that same day, when there were about 6 of us waiting. Drea missed that one, sadly. :( The only one I haven't met was Adam.

:cute:
Dear Lord, I'd give everything to meet Edge...my Edge !!!! :sad:

:dance:

I'll get my hours at work. It'll be shitty times like early mornings or late evenings, but hey, it's hours. Hours = money. Means I can officially afford the week Ireland me and Jem were planning! :hyper: :fuckyeah:

Awesome news, GG! :hi5:

I found out yesterday that Monday's my last day at my contract. It's shorter than I was told, but I'm not mad at all. Yes, it's less money, but I am SO glad to be getting out of there and away from one person in particular, so it all evens out in the end. :lol: :crack:

Thanks. :D I was pretty worried that I might not have been able to make it. :( Would've sucked. I don't have any holidays during the year usually except summer, but this year we had the Uni ski trip. So my savings went to that. Then work cut me off right after it so I barely could save anything due to having to pay Uni tuition. :crack:

Hopefully the theme park responds to my application soon, would be great if I could work there a few days as well! I just want to work as much as I can this summer to save up for the next year. That'll be one expensive uni disaster. :crack: Bloody government making studying way more expensive.

Aw your contract is already over? So did anything change in the meantime or was it still boring as hell?

Thanks. :D I was pretty worried that I might not have been able to make it. :( Would've sucked. I don't have any holidays during the year usually except summer, but this year we had the Uni ski trip. So my savings went to that. Then work cut me off right after it so I barely could save anything due to having to pay Uni tuition. :crack:

Hopefully the theme park responds to my application soon, would be great if I could work there a few days as well! I just want to work as much as I can this summer to save up for the next year. That'll be one expensive uni disaster. :crack: Bloody government making studying way more expensive.

Aw your contract is already over? So did anything change in the meantime or was it still boring as hell?

That would be fun to work at a theme park! :D I definitely understand about needing to work so you can afford to go to school. On my summer breaks from university, I never had any time off because I had to work every day in order to make enough money to pay for my share of the tuition costs. :lol: Oh well. It ended up working out okay in the end. I hope you get the hours/money you need to cover your costs. It sucks how expensive school can be. :(

It was still very boring. There was absolutely nothing to do. Plus, the amount of crazy that I had to deal with from customers was horrible. I am NOT cut out to deal with customer service, which is why I didn't want to do this job in the first place. :lol: But I took it because I needed the money. NEVER AGAIN. :lol: And it turns out that the person that I was covering for had been on medical leave, but she'll be back next week. I'm glad. :lol:

Yeah exactly, it'd be fun, and I'll get hours. :D And it's mostly outside, so that'll be nice too.

Uni costs weren't bad, but I want to start my Master's degree next year, and that blows, because government decided this year that they're ditching the free public transport card and financial aid for all Master students starting this summer. :angry: Just the train is going to cost me about 200 euros a MONTH to get to uni and back. And then tuition costs above that. Yugh. And they want people to study? Yeah, most people are NOT going to do that now.

Shame it was so boring. :lol: So what was so horrible about the customers? Complaining?

Yeah exactly, it'd be fun, and I'll get hours. :D And it's mostly outside, so that'll be nice too.

Uni costs weren't bad, but I want to start my Master's degree next year, and that blows, because government decided this year that they're ditching the free public transport card and financial aid for all Master students starting this summer. :angry: Just the train is going to cost me about 200 euros a MONTH to get to uni and back. And then tuition costs above that. Yugh. And they want people to study? Yeah, most people are NOT going to do that now.

Shame it was so boring. :lol: So what was so horrible about the customers? Complaining?

Being outside is the best! :up: I really miss the summers when I was a kid and then when I was a bit older I worked at camp, because I was outside all day every day. :love:

That's ridiculous that they're getting rid of that benefit for students. :tsk: You'd think that they'd make it easier on students trying to get to and from the campus. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the worst parts were the complaints/yelling/threatening. One guy was screaming his head off and I was so scared that he was going to pull out a gun, that's how crazed and pissed off he was. He was threatening to report us to the news station or whatever, as if doing THAT would do him any good. :rolleyes: He asked me for my name, but one of the big burly guys came out and took him into a side meeting room and took care of him before I could do that. I was totally going to tell him my name was Shaniqua (the fake name I give when I don't want ppl to know my name). :laugh: Dammit! :angry: I knew there was no way I'd be getting in trouble, but still - I wasn't about to tell him who I really was. :wink:

People were VERY abusive on the phones as well. Plus one of my co-workers is a bit nutty too, but that's a story for another time. :crack:

Yea outside is good, as long as there's shade though. :lol: Otherwise I burn to a crisp.

Exactly. Bloody idiots they are. Lots of students are now quitting after their Bachelor degree because they can't afford the Master. And people are tending to go a lower level than university to avoid having to pay a 3000! euros fine if they study too long.

Wow that's pretty nasty. :crack: Sorry to hear you had to go through all that shite.

There's a fine if you go to school for too long?! WTF???!! :lol: That's so ridiculous!

Thanks. :hug: It wasn't fun, but there's only one more day. I'm glad to have gotten work/a paycheck, even though I was miserable for most of the time, and hopefully there will be MUCH better things for me in the future. :) Like the food blogging position I applied for at the beginning of the month. Applications are being accepted for one more week, then they'll be getting on with the hiring process. Fingers crossed I'll get it, because that's my dream job! :love:

There's a fine if you go to school for too long?! WTF???!! :lol: That's so ridiculous!

Thanks. :hug: It wasn't fun, but there's only one more day. I'm glad to have gotten work/a paycheck, even though I was miserable for most of the time, and hopefully there will be MUCH better things for me in the future. :) Like the food blogging position I applied for at the beginning of the month. Applications are being accepted for one more week, then they'll be getting on with the hiring process. Fingers crossed I'll get it, because that's my dream job! :love:

Yup. While our government ministers have all studied 7-10 years, we all will get a fine if you take 2 years longer than you're supposed to. I have learning problems, so I'm already in my 2nd year. Thank fuck they weren't allowed to put it to current students too, or I'd have to pay for this year right now. :| Well pardon me if some of us have more issues and can't study sometimes.

At least it's money and some experience. Hope you can get that position, sounds really cool. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom