PGP: Blue craic, Y U NO WORK...going Paleo on yer arse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up on your stories backwards - every time I hear about anyone meeting Larry, I have to hate them for just like a nano-second. And then, if it's a friend, I'm happy for them. But did you feel a chill just now? That was me hating you for a nano-second. :hug:

But I know that you'd like to touch me to feel Larry second hand, so it's okay. :hug:

Seriously though, I almost feel guilty for meeting him because I know how rare it is, and I wish it could have been someone like you!

Back to the Who. I think Pete might be wearing blush, too. :lol: I guess the 80s were a confusing time for him?

Pete Townshend-Rough boys - YouTube

Eta - very rarely do you ever fine worthwhile quotes on YouTube, but I love this one:

@DizziNY1 Guys like Hendrix made love to the guitar , Pete fucks it.

Love that song.

That's a great story VP. I hope to have an encounter like that, but I'm afraid it would a chance thing for me.

My only two really glory U2 moments are in 1992. I had the worst seats to my first ever U2 show - behind the stage and against the back wall. Since they sucked so much, U2 did a ticket upgrade giving those with the suckiest seats a chance to snatch tickets to the 1st 10 rows. I was the very first person to take advantage. Front row center!

My second was climbing my way to the second stage during Outside Broadcast. I got to touch Bono's thigh. HOWEVER, I don't remember much because I was drunk and I took weird drugs from strangers. So kids, don't take strange drugs from weird strangers.

Love that song.

That's a great story VP. I hope to have an encounter like that, but I'm afraid it would a chance thing for me.

My only two really glory U2 moments are in 1992. I had the worst seats to my first ever U2 show - behind the stage and against the back wall. Since they sucked so much, U2 did a ticket upgrade giving those with the suckiest seats a chance to snatch tickets to the 1st 10 rows. I was the very first person to take advantage. Front row center!

My second was climbing my way to the second stage during Outside Broadcast. I got to touch Bono's thigh. HOWEVER, I don't remember much because I was drunk and I took weird drugs from strangers. So kids, don't take strange drugs from weird strangers.

I am bestowing the luck on you for next tour. :solemn nod:

Those are some cool stories though!

Re: Pete, I love that song too. I think he was probably an icon to me, before the Who was. Because of that album.

Is it just me not keeping up on things, or does it seem like there were much less meetings last tour? It seemed like on the Vertigo tour, everyone and their dog was meeting them. Is it an arena vs. stadium thing? Or was I just not paying as much attention to meetings last tour?

Guys, I'm in a relationship I don't know if I want to be in :| I'm trying to do my best to just be on my own but it's not working.

If you don't want to be in it, get out! :shrug: I'm sure it's easy for me to say that, not knowing the situation, but if it's not something you want, then don't do it. It might be tough to put your foot down and be assertive, but you're better off in the long run by ending it now before things get any further. If you want to be on your own, say that. There's nothing wrong with being single if that's what makes you happiest. :)

Is it just me not keeping up on things, or does it seem like there were much less meetings last tour? It seemed like on the Vertigo tour, everyone and their dog was meeting them. Is it an arena vs. stadium thing? Or was I just not paying as much attention to meetings last tour?

I definitely think there were less meetings this time around, or maybe people just weren't talking about them online. I remember hearing very few stories of people meeting them for 360.

I think the difference was stadiums as opposed to arenas. With arenas, they were likely to stay in town instead of doing a runner. With a runner, everyone seemed to be running late and in a rush. I think the lottery had something to do with it too. Most people here had GA and were doing the GA thang. Can't get yer shit signed when you are either baking in the sun fretting over your number or huddled under an umbrella fretting over your number.

:scratch: a relationship? With whom? I just spent the last half hour convincing one of my seniors not to sleep with the manwhore of the drama department :giggle:

And yeah, Boy/Girl came on my ipod today and I was like "wtf?"

One of my friends :| he's been used by a lot of girls at my school who he thought he was going to be in a proper relationship with but...nope. I'm trying to convince him that not all girls manipulate guys to have sex with them. I mean really.

I only really remember Bono saying (in U2 by U2, probably) that he was listening to a shitton of Siouxsie and the Banshees around recording Boy, but I've been listening to much weirder stuff recently that he may have just picked up by osmosis or something...postpunk was odd.

VP—about less meetings this tour, I'm pretty sure you're right...

I feel like you're right

But I know that you'd like to touch me to feel Larry second hand, so it's okay. :hug:

Seriously though, I almost feel guilty for meeting him because I know how rare it is, and I wish it could have been someone like you!

aw :hug: No, I'm glad you got to! My time will come...

:lol: !!!!! You're awesome. They're lucky to have you. :)

Thanks. I'm kind of like the cool aunt.

I think the difference was stadiums as opposed to arenas. With arenas, they were likely to stay in town instead of doing a runner. With a runner, everyone seemed to be running late and in a rush. I think the lottery had something to do with it too. Most people here had GA and were doing the GA thang. Can't get yer shit signed when you are either baking in the sun fretting over your number or huddled under an umbrella fretting over your number.

There were plenty of GA people meeting them, but I think you're right with the runner thing. Last tour there was less time between shows, and more multiple cities, hence fewer runners.

I feel like you're right

aw :hug: No, I'm glad you got to! My time will come...

Thanks. I'm kind of like the cool aunt.

I wish you could be my cool aunt and urge me not to sleep with unsuitable men. In fact, I wish there were unsuitable men in the picture for which you could advise me against. :happy:

One of my friends :| he's been used by a lot of girls at my school who he thought he was going to be in a proper relationship with but...nope. I'm trying to convince him that not all girls manipulate guys to have sex with them. I mean really.

Wow, usually it's the other way around with that!

Do you guys like each other in that way? Is there any sort of good romantic chemistry between you? 'Cause if so, it might be worth it to give things a try and help him overcome his issues and have you prove him right.

But if you have to go to that much work to convince someone you're not like everyone else, and they've got that sort of distrust going on and they're still not over it, and they have difficulty even trusting you, a friend, then yeah, I would say it's probably best to just stay friends and let each other be until any of these internal issues got worked out.

The federal (national) party I'm a member of is having their leadership convention this weekend. :)

Not sure if you know much about the parliamentary system of government, but the party I'm a member of is the left wing of our three major parties. Right now, we have a majority government with the leaders being the right wing/conservative party. However, with our system, they were elected with less than 40% of the popular vote (there is a centrist party, although I think they'd like to think of themselves as center-left, and as compared to US politics, they probably are, and my party, the true lefties). People were tired of the centrist party, and so my party was voted in as the opposition party in government, the second in power - they made HUGE gains due to their leader, Jack Layton, this hugely amazing, popular, charismatic but very genuine politician. Then 4 months after the election, Jack Layton passed away - cancer. :( it was such a sad time, he resonated with people of all political stripes...people just related to him in a way that's extremely rare for politicians. The convention to elect a new leader for the party is this weekend. Everyone wishes it wasn't necessary - no one could ever replace Jack. But the choice will be very important for Canada's political future, to hopefully continue the gains that Jack made.

Ah, gotta love it when the popular vote winds up not mattering much in the end, eh :p?

So basically, the conservative party is running the country like the president would here, and your party would be to them what Congress is to ours right now, then (only with the political affiliations reversed)? Right? I know we discussed the parliamentary system a bit here and there in school, but the ins and outs of how it operates I'm not all that knowledgeable on.

I heard you mention that a politician passed away recently and I meant to ask you more about that. How very sad. Especially since he seems like he was quite the figure on top of it all. Makes me think of that Congressman who died in a plane crash years ago...Paul Wellstone. I remember there was a similar reaction from people who liked him, too.

So yeah, I've no doubt it would be sad to have to go through this again. But hopefully you'll be able to pick someone who can carry on his legacy well. Is whomever's running to replace him looking promising to you?

Although always very interested in politics, Sarah and I didn't really start getting involved till around a year ago. Then, with the leadership convention coming up, she bought us both party memberships for Christmas, which allow us to vote for the new party leader. :)

Cool idea for a gift :up:!

I was watching some of the leadership convention earlier tonight as it streamed online (and wishing I had been there rather than watching from home and voting online), and that's what my tweets were about. :) Jack's kids and his wife Olivia spoke during a tribute to him tonight. It was apparently trending on twitter worldwide. I may have shed a tear or two. I miss him so much. We were headed for such great things with him. I hope the new leader, whoever he or she is, is worthy.

Ah, I see. Awwww. I feel bad for his family. My condolances to them and to everyone who were supporters of him.

There were plenty of GA people meeting them, but I think you're right with the runner thing. Last tour there was less time between shows, and more multiple cities, hence fewer runners.

I wish you could be my cool aunt and urge me not to sleep with unsuitable men. In fact, I wish there were unsuitable men in the picture for which you could advise me against. :happy:

:lol:

*sends unsuitable men VP's way* I know a couple. One in particular - VERY VERY sexy and VERY VERY unsuitable

M_A—Yeah, there is a lot to figure out. So confusing.

Comet—those sound really good...(although I agree, not too many at once!)

Wow, usually it's the other way around with that!

Do you guys like each other in that way? Is there any sort of good romantic chemistry between you? 'Cause if so, it might be worth it to give things a try and help him overcome his issues and have you prove him right.

But if you have to go to that much work to convince someone you're not like everyone else, and they've got that sort of distrust going on and they're still not over it, and they have difficulty even trusting you, a friend, then yeah, I would say it's probably best to just stay friends and let each other be until any of these internal issues got worked out.

Ah, gotta love it when the popular vote winds up not mattering much in the end, eh :p?

So basically, the conservative party is running the country like the president would here, and your party would be to them what Congress is to ours right now, then (only with the political affiliations reversed)? Right? I know we discussed the parliamentary system a bit here and there in school, but the ins and outs of how it operates I'm not all that knowledgeable on.

I heard you mention that a politician passed away recently and I meant to ask you more about that. How very sad. Especially since he seems like he was quite the figure on top of it all. Makes me think of that Congressman who died in a plane crash years ago...Paul Wellstone. I remember there was a similar reaction from people who liked him, too.

So yeah, I've no doubt it would be sad to have to go through this again. But hopefully you'll be able to pick someone who can carry on his legacy well. Is whomever's running to replace him looking promising to you?

Cool idea for a gift :up:!

Ah, I see. Awwww. I feel bad for his family. My condolances to them and to everyone who were supporters of him.

I remember the Wellstone thing, and to put it into context, this was much bigger here, it would have been as if one of your beloved presidents had passed away while in office...which, he wasn't the official Prime Minister at the time, but it speaks to his personal popularity, and ability to cross political boundaries.

A short primer on Canadian politics, feel free to ignore if you're not Angela, and even if you are, you may want to check out wikipedia, because I'm not sure I can explain this properly. :) We have three major parties, the Conservatives, the Liberals (centerists) and the NDP (leftists). There are a few others, but they are mainly fringe groups. In order to pass anything (bills, laws) in government, a party has to win with a majority, which the current Conservative party has, they JUST BARELY won a majority with under 40% of what you call the popular vote. Anything less, and they would have had a minority government, which means, to pass anything, they would have had to have the cooperation of members of the other parties. So, they have a majority this time, by the skin of their teeth...and the party with the second most number of votes is called our opposition party, which this time, is the leftist party, the NDP. Normally, our leaders are either the Liberals or the Conservatives, with the NDP being a distant third, but this time, voters were disenchanted with the Liberals so many of their votes went to the NDP party, hence our current opposition status. The NDP party has led many provincial governments in the past (and are responsible for our health care system, among other things) but have never led on a federal level. Jack Layton, because of his perceived likability and trustworthiness, combined with the pubic's distrust of the Liberal party (who had led for a long time and had gathered up some scandals) ended up being the official opposition, and with the public's fatigue of whoever is the current government - the Conservatives, in this case - could very well have led the NDP party to winning the next national election. But Layton was an exceptional person and politician. Look him up. I just hope the leader who is elected this weekend has a fraction of his caring and charisma. Charisma is such a fake word sometimes, though. Layton had something that genuinely connected with people. Of all political stripes.

:lol:

*sends unsuitable men VP's way* I know a couple. One in particular - VERY VERY sexy and VERY VERY unsuitable

FakeEdge? :shifty:

Oh wow. The guy who ran for my party in my city for the last election, we follow each other on twitter. Apparently he retweeted one of my tweets tonight. I didn't even notice, Sarah told me. Amazing guy, he didn't win in the last election, but he's young and he's going to go far. He'll win next time.

Ooh and this one. :combust:

leatherbadvertigoedge.jpg

:shifty: Yes, Edge... I've been very, very bad.

Ohai Edge. :love::drool:

I kind of suck as a Who fan apparently, because Eminence Front is on this dvd, and I never realized that Pete sings it. :reject: It's pretty obvious, in retrospect...

Eminence Front The Who Studio - YouTube

Is it weird that, with my being a lazy Who fan (meaning: I only listen to them on the radio), that I did know it was Pete singing, and not Roger?

Ok. I've just deducted that early U2 sounds so odd compared to everything after just bc basically all postpunk around then sounded similarly odd :hmm:

*has been listening to weird stuff*

Guys, I'm in a relationship I don't know if I want to be in :| I'm trying to do my best to just be on my own but it's not working.

:hug:

I just watched The Adventures of Tin Tin. :love:

I remember the Wellstone thing, and to put it into context, this was much bigger here, it would have been as if one of your beloved presidents had passed away while in office...which, he wasn't the official Prime Minister at the time, but it speaks to his personal popularity, and ability to cross political boundaries.

Right, of course. Certainly we in the U.S. have our fair share of tragic history of losing presidents in office. Been fortunate so far to not be witness to such things (though 9/11 certainly came close, because one of the planes was destined for the White House), and I hope I never am.

He sounded like a very cool guy. I'm sorry I'm only hearing about him now. I wish we had more people like that in our government here.

A short primer on Canadian politics, feel free to ignore if you're not Angela, and even if you are, you may want to check out wikipedia, because I'm not sure I can explain this properly. :) We have three major parties, the Conservatives, the Liberals (centerists) and the NDP (leftists). There are a few others, but they are mainly fringe groups. In order to pass anything (bills, laws) in government, a party has to win with a majority, which the current Conservative party has, they JUST BARELY won a majority with under 40% of what you call the popular vote. Anything less, and they would have had a minority government, which means, to pass anything, they would have had to have the cooperation of members of the other parties. So, they have a majority this time, by the skin of their teeth...and the party with the second most number of votes is called our opposition party, which this time, is the leftist party, the NDP. Normally, our leaders are either the Liberals or the Conservatives, with the NDP being a distant third, but this time, voters were disenchanted with the Liberals so many of their votes went to the NDP party, hence our current opposition status.

Okay, cool. Gotcha. Thanks for the detail and explanation-I think it makes perfect sense the way you discussed it :).

Makes me wonder if that's how things would start to go if we had a legitimate third party here in the States. That could make things a lot more interesting politically. Is there any particular reason the NDP often lags behind the other two parties?

The NDP party has led many provincial governments in the past (and are responsible for our health care system, among other things) but have never led on a federal level. Jack Layton, because of his perceived likability and trustworthiness, combined with the pubic's distrust of the Liberal party (who had led for a long time and had gathered up some scandals) ended up being the official opposition, and with the public's fatigue of whoever is the current government - the Conservatives, in this case - could very well have led the NDP party to winning the next national election. But Layton was an exceptional person and politician. Look him up. I just hope the leader who is elected this weekend has a fraction of his caring and charisma. Charisma is such a fake word sometimes, though. Layton had something that genuinely connected with people. Of all political stripes.

I'll certainly check him out more. You have me curious to learn more about him. I hope you guys manage to find someone good to take over from here-good luck :).

I'm curious about the scandals now :p. Ah, politics and scandal, such common bedfellows.

I just ate a ton of PB M&Ms and now i feel gross. :| Yay me!

I brought my little guy some Butterfinger bites, but then he got in trouble so he couldn't eat them... sooooo.... *kicks dirt*

I

FakeEdge? :shifty:

No, he is indeed very very sexy, but would probably be fairly suitable... single dad, Christian, good steady job...
No, I know this... well... manwhore. He's good looking, knows all the right things to do and say and sleeps with whomever he wants whenever he wants, and from what I hear, is very good at what he does :wink:

Slightly offtopic to everything. I've decided/come to realize I am a huge avoider of problems. If they happen I try my best to steer clear, or ignore them until they go away. I wish that was possible all the time.

I may just be getting really tired of being in one place at one time. It's hard for me to care about people in a new place. I haven't really connected with anyone in the same way. I just...ugh. Can it be the end of the schoolyear, please?

:hug: Katie. Know that feeling.

Doesn't scandal mean the same thing as politics? :lol:

I kid because really, I'm bored. :reject:

LOL. Hey, you have a fair point :D.

I found a site that went through and did articles on the entire Now CD series and now I'm going through and playing songs from each list. Why? I dunno. Nostalgia trip, I guess :p. But man, it's a strange, entertaining trip so far.

I feel so fucking lame, because I really do love Edge. If it weren't for Bono's sheer sexual magnetism, Edge would probably be my favourite member. And I remember NOTHING. Geez.

It was an amazing night. Not that many people there. Bono actually spent a few minutes talking to each person. It was unbelievably chill, no sense of rushing or anything. I can't even imagine a more ideal setting for a meeting, and I feel unbelievably privileged. And when I was speaking to Edge, no one was even around us. He was just there, milling about. There were maybe 30 or so people there, and they were all around Bono! Drea was there that night.

And I met Larry earlier that same day, when there were about 6 of us waiting. Drea missed that one, sadly. :( The only one I haven't met was Adam.

Yes I was... :grumblemutterhalfafuckinghourfrommeetingLarry: I was next to another member of the TO fan group, and she got Bono to sign in sharpie just above her chest (and not long after it became a tattoo and looks pretty cool). She and another TO fan group member were much bolder than I was, but I was about to get the surprise of my life :lol: Bono finishes with Maritza, shifts a step or two to me, and the next thing I know he's taking my hand, pulling me into a hug and saying "I'm getting all the kisses tonight" then kissing my cheek! :ohmy: I am not a Bono girl by anyone's stretch of the imagination but I'm still shocked I managed coherence after that :lol:

Meeting Edge right after didn't turn out as well - I didn't do anything bad, just not really coherent :( I'm glad I got to thank him in Montreal for making my 40th birthday special when Ingrid and I met him at the hotel :D I'd thanked him while he was signing my SLC ticket, and right after I said "that was my 40th birthday show" he looked up at me and smiled :)

Part of me wishes I could've met Adam and Larry in Denver - they arrived after Tina and I had gone in - but I keep reminding myself that I likely wouldn't have the pic that's now my avi (which she took) nor been able to crack him up right after if we hadn't got the spot we did that night...

I only really remember Bono saying (in U2 by U2, probably) that he was listening to a shitton of Siouxsie and the Banshees around recording Boy, but I've been listening to much weirder stuff recently that he may have just picked up by osmosis or something...postpunk was odd.

They wouldn't even need to go that far to get somewhat weirder stuff - if you haven't, listen to some Virgin Prunes stuff (Gavin and Guggi's band from the same time as early U2, with Edge's brother Dik). It's... not for everyone :lol: I had a couple tracks I was sent by a fellow U2 fan and definitely not my cup of tea - Gavin's solo stuff (at least the bit I've heard from the Shag Tobacco album and Abel from the newest one, the song they played during 360) is more to my taste.

(Oh, forgot to make this comment when the Peru pics were being posted - someone once described Guggi to me as "a coked out Legolas" before I'd seen pictures of him, and after having seen pics I had to agree :lol: So now every time I see a picture of him I have to try not to giggle...)

LOL. Hey, you have a fair point :D.

I found a site that went through and did articles on the entire Now CD series and now I'm going through and playing songs from each list. Why? I dunno. Nostalgia trip, I guess :p. But man, it's a strange, entertaining trip so far.

:D

That sounds fun, though. And I remember, one of the Now cds was the first piece of U2 music I ever owned. :shifty: :p

big weekend ahead, so goodnight, y'all!
G'night!

Oh god Virgin Prunes.

I can't stand their music but I'm fascinated with their stage presence/performances. Therefore I make way too many references to them from the randomest things.

For some reason Guggi has been permanently tied in my brain with Iggy Pop. But :giggle: "coked out Legolas" is a great image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom