PGP: Blue craic, Y U NO WORK...going Paleo on yer arse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my biggest regrets ever is being all "omgwhat'shappeningwhereamiwhoamitalkingto??11!!!" when I met Edge. Because I had just met Bono like 5 minutes prior. I met Edge, talked to him, have pictures of it, but literally have no memory of our interaction. :lol: I want a do-over. :grumpy:

And I adore Edge. In a platonic way.

I was probably "oh hai Edge, I JUST MET BONO, HE'S SO DREAMY, do you know him??" :rolleyes:

On a completely different note, while I had uTorrent open this week downloading the Toronto 2011 show, I completed a Who show I've been trying to download for like a month now. It's from 82. Early 80s Who are laughably new wave in their look. I'm pretty sure Pete is wearing eyeshadow, and he is definitely wearing a wallet chain thingy. And Roger's hair is short but carefully coiffed. :cute:

One of my biggest regrets ever is being all "omgwhat'shappeningwhereamiwhoamitalkingto??11!!!" when I met Edge. Because I had just met Bono like 5 minutes prior. I met Edge, talked to him, have pictures of it, but literally have no memory of our interaction. :lol: I want a do-over. :grumpy:

And I adore Edge. In a platonic way.

I was probably "oh hai Edge, I JUST MET BONO, HE'S SO DREAMY, do you know him??" :rolleyes:

This for the win!! And I would do the same thing. I've never met any of them (at least for real) and I heard Bono just can disarm you with a smile and his eyes. I can imagine I'd be 'hubbah...bubbah...jiggah....I LOVE YOU!!!!"

On a completely different note, while I had uTorrent open this week downloading the Toronto 2011 show, I completed a Who show I've been trying to download for like a month now. It's from 82. Early 80s Who are laughably new wave in their look. I'm pretty sure Pete is wearing eyeshadow, and he is definitely wearing a wallet chain thingy. And Roger's hair is short but carefully coiffed. :cute:

I SO wanted to see the Farewell Tour. My step-dad wouldn't let me go since I was 11. The Who were my first, first favorite band.

This for the win!! And I would do the same thing. I've never met any of them (at least for real) and I heard Bono just can disarm you with a smile and his eyes. I can imagine I'd be 'hubbah...bubbah...jiggah....I LOVE YOU!!!!"

I feel so fucking lame, because I really do love Edge. If it weren't for Bono's sheer sexual magnetism, Edge would probably be my favourite member. And I remember NOTHING. Geez.

It was an amazing night. Not that many people there. Bono actually spent a few minutes talking to each person. It was unbelievably chill, no sense of rushing or anything. I can't even imagine a more ideal setting for a meeting, and I feel unbelievably privileged. And when I was speaking to Edge, no one was even around us. He was just there, milling about. There were maybe 30 or so people there, and they were all around Bono! Drea was there that night.

And I met Larry earlier that same day, when there were about 6 of us waiting. Drea missed that one, sadly. :( The only one I haven't met was Adam.

I SO wanted to see the Farewell Tour. My step-dad wouldn't let me go since I was 11. The Who were my first, first favorite band.

Which tour was that? :wink: I remember it being an ongoing joke in the 80s - didn't they do a farewell tour like every couple of years? :lol:

I finally did get to see them a few years ago, went with a fellow interferencer (Liz/Snowbunny), and it was an amazing show. She's all tough, but she cried (I didn't say that, though...). Of course by then, people were rolling their eyes saying it really isn't The Who. But it was Pete and Roger and Zak Starkey, and a bass player! The show before the night we saw, i think that was the opener, or at least the opener of that leg, in Detroit, and people were saying that Roger's voice was rough. I wasn't expecting much for our show, but I thought he was ON, it was a great show!

When you get to be that age and have as many miles on your vocal cords as he does, it's probably more hit and miss, but that's allowed. We happened to see a great show, vocally.

I honestly don't know what I'd do if I ever met any of the guys in U2. I've yet to hear any bad stories from people who meet celebrities I like, it seems the people I like are pretty cool and nice and good with the fans when they meet them and everything, so that reassures me should I ever be lucky enough to meet them.

But I'm still always afraid I'd be taking up their time or bugging them, and I'd probably wind up saying something they've heard a zillion times before. I hear people talk about how they managed to have some cool conversations with a celebrity they meet, and I'd love to do that, but I just get the feeling I'll wind up sounding like a babbling fangirl or an idiot instead :p.

edge6-25-2010.jpg

Need this dewatermarked. :hmm:

I find this one really adorable for some reason :cute:.

I saw them in 1989 and a few times after that. I sat on the phone for 2 days for those tickets. But it was the Who's Hard tour that was billed at the farewell tour. I loved Pete Townshend. I know. Weird.

That's how I'd like to meet the guys - in a nice chill manner or by accident. I don't want anything signed. I would like a photo. I just want to shake their hands and thank them for being a huge part of my life and shaping who I am. My inclination for philanthropy sprung from them in the 80's. That's all I'd like - just a moment to thank them. :cute:

That's how I'd like to meet the guys - in a nice chill manner or by accident. I don't want anything signed. I would like a photo. I just want to shake their hands and thank them for being a huge part of my life and shaping who I am. My inclination for philanthropy sprung from them in the 80's. That's all I'd like - just a moment to thank them. :cute:

Agreed :yes:.

I saw them in 1989 and a few times after that. I sat on the phone for 2 days for those tickets. But it was the Who's Hard tour that was billed at the farewell tour. I loved Pete Townshend. I know. Weird.

Phoning for tickets, what a relic. :cute: I lined up overnight for Def Leppard tickets and got front row. And at our lame-ass little Ticketmaster outlet, we were the only ones, till like 6 am. :lol:

Sorry if you've heard this before...but I don't think you have? They opened the third leg of the Vertigo tour in Toronto, played 4 dates there. The first was on a Monday, the second on Wednesday, then Friday and Saturday. We (Sarah and I) and various PGPers went to all of them. Tuesday was an off day, and from what I've learned, the day after a leg opener is used for ironing out kinks (heh...in the show). Sarah and I lined up at the arena early afternoon. There were about 5 or 6 of us there, us and several U2 GTers. Security came to the driveway probably an hour or so before anyone arrived. The guy was friendly, and giving us updates. Larry drove in (like an hour too early for Drea, she worked that day :( ) and the guy told us he'd come out and sign. He did. Got many pics. Was in awe, because I knew it was like spotting a rare species of bird. He was quiet yet friendly, didn't seem like an obligation for him to be out there, he just isn't overly chatty. He's no Bono. Then the others drove in, and then finally Bono. He actually pulled up and rolled down his window, said he was running late (shocker! :cute: ) and that he'd come out to meet us after rehearsal...I think he said 8 pm, but it ended up being more like 10.

Between the afternoon and the time we met them that night, some of us sat at the doors to the arena and listened to parts of the rehearsal. That night, they rehearsed...Discotheque for like 45 minutes or an hour, and then a rough sounding Mofo. Seriously. We reported back to Interference, and no one would believe us (Drea was with us, by that time). It was the Saturday Toronto show where they premiered Discotheque, and then they played it again a few nights later in Chicago, which we were also at.

Phoning for tickets, what a relic. :cute: I lined up overnight for Def Leppard tickets and got front row. And at our lame-ass little Ticketmaster outlet, we were the only ones, till like 6 am. :lol:

Sorry if you've heard this before...but I don't think you have? They opened the third leg of the Vertigo tour in Toronto, played 4 dates there. The first was on a Monday, the second on Wednesday, then Friday and Saturday. We (Sarah and I) and various PGPers went to all of them. Tuesday was an off day, and from what I've learned, the day after a leg opener is used for ironing out kinks (heh...in the show). Sarah and I lined up at the arena early afternoon. There were about 5 or 6 of us there, us and several U2 GTers. Security came to the driveway probably an hour or so before anyone arrived. The guy was friendly, and giving us updates. Larry drove in (like an hour too early for Drea, she worked that day :( ) and the guy told us he'd come out and sign. He did. Got many pics. Was in awe, because I knew it was like spotting a rare species of bird. He was quiet yet friendly, didn't seem like an obligation for him to be out there, he just isn't overly chatty. He's no Bono. Then the others drove in, and then finally Bono. He actually pulled up and rolled down his window, said he was running late (shocker! :cute: ) and that he'd come out to meet us after rehearsal...I think he said 8 pm, but it ended up being more like 10.

So. Damn. Lucky. That's an awesome story :) :up:.

Then that night around 8 or 9, we started gathering around the exit of the underground vip parking of the arena. I think it was around 10-ish when they started coming out. I think Larry and Adam may have come out with their drivers first and sped off, I can't even remember at this point. But then John Samson came out, and went down the line of approximately 30 people who were standing very orderly on the curb at the side of the roadway. He stopped near we were and chatted with us the entire time. I fell a little in love with John that night, what an amazing, nice guy! :heart: So gracious to fans, answering stupid questions - the girl next to us kept asking personal questions about Bono's family that I wouldn't even have dreamed of asking, but he answered them (his kids ages, were they in town with him (no!)).
Bono was at the start of the line, working his way down slowly, not rushing, spending a couple of minutes with each person. When he gets to you, it's like the world stops, or goes into slow motion, or something. I remember the one thing that struck me was how quickly he moves on stage, but how slowly and deliberately he was moving to talk to people that night, just so calmly and relaxed.

When he got to me, I was holding a print of the band that Sarah had gotten for me a few weeks before. He seemed enthralled with it, spent a long time inspecting it, and asked if I'd done it! LOL I said no. He even called John and his driver (who looked remarkably like Joe Pesci) over to see it. Then he signed it. I was also holding a copy of Bono: In Conversation. He saw that, and asked if he'd already signed that earlier in the week (he met a shit ton of people in Toronto) and I said no, so he asked if I'd liked that signed, too. I said sure, if you don't mind. So he did one of his doodles where he draws glasses on himself. Oh, and when he was signing my print, he asked my name, and he personalized it, which from what I've gathered since, he doesn't do that much!!! There was actually a giant debate amongst those who were there whether he signed it "from Bono" or "love Bono." Either way, I don't care. :lol: And then...I hugged him. It was an embarrassingly huge bear hug, I'm shocked John didn't pull me off of him, he probably would have if we hadn't spent the 20 minutes before conversing. :lol:

People have asked me about the hug since. They ask me how he smelled. I have NO idea. The only thing I noticed was...remember that jacket he wore on the Vertigo tour? The black one? It was actually denim, but it was weirdly coated with some black rubbery substance that made it feel like...rubber. It was weird. :lol: And that was my lasting impression, how this jacket that I'd seen him pictured in a million times, felt. :lol:

Click on my profile for a picture of the meeting.

Oh, and Sarah was next to me, and met him next. I was so flustered, I didn't get a picture of them, and she still jokingly rags on me about it, to this day. I feel awful. :reject:

And...scene.

I didn't try to meet them again after that. After Toronto, we went on to Chicago (6 shows in a row!!) and then two shows in Detroit a month later. Nothing could have lived up to that Toronto meeting, short of Bono requesting me to be his mistress. So, I never really tried again. I'm content with what I've had. I'd rather that other people have the chance.

I was also holding a copy of Bono: In Conversation. He saw that, and asked if he'd already signed that earlier in the week (he met a shit ton of people in Toronto) and I said no, so he asked if I'd liked that signed, too. I said sure, if you don't mind. So he did one of his doodles where he draws glasses on himself. Oh, and when he was signing my print, he asked my name, and he personalized it, which from what I've gathered since, he doesn't do that much!!! There was actually a giant debate amongst those who were there whether he signed it "from Bono" or "love Bono." Either way, I don't care. :lol: And then...I hugged him. It was an embarrassingly huge bear hug, I'm shocked John didn't pull me off of him, he probably would have if we hadn't spent the 20 minutes before conversing. :lol:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...:cute: *Sighs*. That's lovely. What a sweetie.

I love that story, VP. :love: So awesome!!

I get the WEIRDEST spam comments on my food site. Sometimes I'm inclined to allow them to go through just because they're hilarious, but of course I never do. Tonight's gem: "The website taste is perfect, the articles is truly excellent : D. Excellent process, cheers" :lmao: Well, it IS a food website. I guess it MUST be tasty, then! :wink:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...:cute: *Sighs*. That's lovely. What a sweetie.

He really is. I wish every fan could have that opportunity. :)

I love that story, VP. :love: So awesome!!

I get the WEIRDEST spam comments on my food site. Sometimes I'm inclined to allow them to go through just because they're hilarious, but of course I never do. Tonight's gem: "The website taste is perfect, the articles is truly excellent : D. Excellent process, cheers" :lmao: Well, it IS a food website. I guess it MUST be tasty, then! :wink:

Thanks. I feel a little stupid telling it over and over again, like I'm reliving my glory days. :lol:

Yay for good reviews! And goofy ones!

Enjoy your Friday night! :)

Thanks. I feel a little stupid telling it over and over again, like I'm reliving my glory days. :lol:

Yay for good reviews! And goofy ones!

Enjoy your Friday night! :)

Don't feel stupid! It's a fabulous story. :love:

Thanks, I will! I'm thinking about going to bed soon, even though it's not even 8pm. :laugh: :tsk: This week really wore me down. I am SO glad that Monday is my last day. Yes, the contract's shorter than I had originally been told, but I don't care. The last few days were pretty bad, so I'm glad to be getting out of there before my soul was crushed any further. :)

That'd be awesome :). I'd certainly want that experience. I'm glad you got such a wonderful opportunity.

I'm curious about your political tweets now :p.

The federal (national) party I'm a member of is having their leadership convention this weekend. :)

Not sure if you know much about the parliamentary system of government, but the party I'm a member of is the left wing of our three major parties. Right now, we have a majority government with the leaders being the right wing/conservative party. However, with our system, they were elected with less than 40% of the popular vote (there is a centrist party, although I think they'd like to think of themselves as center-left, and as compared to US politics, they probably are, and my party, the true lefties). People were tired of the centrist party, and so my party was voted in as the opposition party in government, the second in power - they made HUGE gains due to their leader, Jack Layton, this hugely amazing, popular, charismatic but very genuine politician. Then 4 months after the election, Jack Layton passed away - cancer. :( it was such a sad time, he resonated with people of all political stripes...people just related to him in a way that's extremely rare for politicians. The convention to elect a new leader for the party is this weekend. Everyone wishes it wasn't necessary - no one could ever replace Jack. But the choice will be very important for Canada's political future, to hopefully continue the gains that Jack made.

And I met Larry earlier that same day, when there were about 6 of us waiting. Drea missed that one, sadly. :( The only one I haven't met was Adam.

Catching up on your stories backwards - every time I hear about anyone meeting Larry, I have to hate them for just like a nano-second. And then, if it's a friend, I'm happy for them. But did you feel a chill just now? That was me hating you for a nano-second. :hug:

Ok. I've just deducted that early U2 sounds so odd compared to everything after just bc basically all postpunk around then sounded similarly odd :hmm:

*has been listening to weird stuff*

Guys, I'm in a relationship I don't know if I want to be in :| I'm trying to do my best to just be on my own but it's not working.

Although always very interested in politics, Sarah and I didn't really start getting involved till around a year ago. Then, with the leadership convention coming up, she bought us both party memberships for Christmas, which allow us to vote for the new party leader. :)

I was watching some of the leadership convention earlier tonight as it streamed online (and wishing I had been there rather than watching from home and voting online), and that's what my tweets were about. :) Jack's kids and his wife Olivia spoke during a tribute to him tonight. It was apparently trending on twitter worldwide. I may have shed a tear or two. I miss him so much. We were headed for such great things with him. I hope the new leader, whoever he or she is, is worthy.

Ok. I've just deducted that early U2 sounds so odd compared to everything after just bc basically all postpunk around then sounded similarly odd :hmm:

*has been listening to weird stuff*

Guys, I'm in a relationship I don't know if I want to be in :| I'm trying to do my best to just be on my own but it's not working.

:scratch: a relationship? With whom? I just spent the last half hour convincing one of my seniors not to sleep with the manwhore of the drama department :giggle:

And yeah, Boy/Girl came on my ipod today and I was like "wtf?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom