PGP because no one else would !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drea said:

Meal plans are par for the course in res - though I will say the declining balance thing didn't start till my second or third year :wink:

I never said the word "cook", now did I? :lol:

Declining balance? You mean running out of money too fast?

Drea! VP! :hug:

and whoever else is here! :hug:

I really should be doing other things, but decided to drop in for a short while. Especially since people are now here. :wink:

Bye Jez :hug:

I know Drea but I meant I have it on DVD rather than the released VHS :) the quality's a bit sucky...

how are you, VP? :)

Hey, VP! :hug:

How's Sarah doing at school? How long has she been there?

They allowed her to have a single room? Back in my day (back when dinosaurs roamed campuses or so it seems to me now), freshmen/first-years/whatever they called us couldn't have single rooms. :(

VintagePunk said:
Declining balance? You mean running out of money too fast?

No *g* Declining balance = starting with a certain amount on the card at the start of the year, and the balance going down every time you use it :wink: I had a full meal plan, so the money on mine was extra and could be used at the little diner place in Bartley Res (sold junk food, pop, for a while individual pizzas - those things were damn good - subs and milkshakes).

(A full meal plan meant everything was included and all I had to do was show my student card at the door of the res caf to prove I didn't have to pay.)

Jo :wave:

VintagePunk said:
I'm pretty well thanks, Kat. Last week was kinda blah, but things started getting a little better later in the week. :) How about you? Are you starting work soon?

That's good to hear :) I'm fine thanks! I think so, I have more training tomorrow evening and I think they might be giving us some hours then. I hope so anyway, as I really could do with the money!

Hi Bonogirl and Jo :)

jobob said:
Hey, VP! :hug:

How's Sarah doing at school? How long has she been there?

They allowed her to have a single room? Back in my day (back when dinosaurs roamed campuses or so it seems to me now), freshmen/first-years/whatever they called us couldn't have single rooms. :(

She's been at school for a week now, frosh week, classes start tomorrow. She's home now, she came home last night, but it was a last minute thing, she was going to spend the weekend at school, and I was supposed to go there today to spend the day with her...but last night she changed her mind, and I'm taking her back in the morning, she has a 10:30 class.

There's some (but not much) on-campus housing for upper year students, most of them get apartments. As for the first years, they have a variety of housing available, single and double rooms, and suite-style. Her first choice was suite-style, and single was her 2nd choice.

Drea said:

(A full meal plan meant everything was included and all I had to do was show my student card at the door of the res caf to prove I didn't have to pay.)

Drea :wave:

That was how my meal plans worked when I lived in the dorms (what we Americans call "res") too. That's probably how they still do it to this day.

The university I went to for grad school has what it calls the "One Card" for your student ID, your library card, cash for the parking structures and the copiers/printers ... the list goes on and on. I now have an alumni One Card from them in case I ever want to go back and use the library again. :wink:

Drea said:

No *g* Declining balance = starting with a certain amount on the card at the start of the year, and the balance going down every time you use it :wink: I had a full meal plan, so the money on mine was extra and could be used at the little diner place in Bartley Res (sold junk food, pop, for a while individual pizzas - those things were damn good - subs and milkshakes).

Yeah, that's what I meant, the balance on your card going down too fast. At UW, everyone in anything but suite-style is required to have a meal plan, since they don't have kitchen facilities.

They have a crazy payment system at UW. :crazy: Say the plan is $2000. At the beginning of the term, $800 or $900 is automatically taken off their amount to help pay staff and the upkeep of the facilities (so, a little under half of it). But, with the remaining $$ left on the card, as long as they use their card to pay, everything they buy for food/meals is only 50% of the price marked on it. And, all meals/food items anywhere on campus are charged individually, you can't just walk in, show your card, and grab dinner.

:crack:

Jo, it's referred to as Res here, as well. And it's the same for this school, it's an all-purpose card for like, everything. Besides the meal plan money, there's also $$ on it to spend in shops, or for various services.

Drea said:

Sarah saw this, and just asked - using that system, didn't that allow for people taking more food than they want/need, and storing it in their rooms...in other words, people scamming the system?

VintagePunk said:
They have a crazy payment system at UW. :crazy: Say the plan is $2000. At the beginning of the term, $800 or $900 is automatically taken off their amount to help pay staff and the upkeep of the facilities (so, a little under half of it). But, with the remaining $$ left on the card, as long as they use their card to pay, everything they buy for food/meals is only 50% of the price marked on it. And, all meals/food items anywhere on campus are charged individually, you can't just walk in, show your card, and grab dinner.

:crack:

Run that by me again? :huh: Because it was written by someone on crack. :coocoo:

Edit: No, I don't mean you're on crack, VP.

VintagePunk said:
Sarah saw this, and just asked - using that system, didn't that allow for people taking more food than they want/need, and storing it in their rooms...in other words, people scamming the system?

No, because they only had certain things available each meal (there was a schedule we could look at to see what was going to be there), and you couldn't really carry the plates out - would've been *really* obvious :lol: Though there was always cereal/bread/jam/peanut butter/etc available on a side table, so if supper sucked you could always have a toasted peanut butter sandwich or something... and order pizza or go to Dan's Diner (the place I mentioned earlier) later :wink:

jobob said:

Run that by me again? :huh: Because it was written by someone on crack. :coocoo:

Edit: No, I don't mean you're on crack, VP.

I was wondering. :sad: :lol:

Okay, you pay $2000. The school automatically deducts $800 to pay for staff and facilities, leaving you with $1200.

BUT, when you use your card/meal plan purchase any food, it's only 50% of the listed price, so, if you go in and you purchase a $6 dinner, they only charge people with a meal plan $3 for it.

It doesn't make sense to me either, but that's the way they do it. :shrug:

Btw, when I graduate (sometime this century, I'm assuming :mad: ) I'll have alumni access to the library too.

My online access to journals will be cut off, though. :sad: But I can use Sarah's access for the next 4 or 5 years. :shh: :shifty:

VintagePunk said:

My school was really mean about letting me take second helpings or large portions. :(

Bonogirl777 said:

I'm good. I bought a hot tub with my dad yesterday. :D We get it in about two to three weeks.

:hyper: I can't wait!

How are YOU? :giggle:

A hot tub, that sounds interesting! I'm not really one for sitting in things like that, I have to say. Are you gonna stick in in your garden and then sit out when it's hot? Or cold? I'm not sure I know how they work, heh.

I'm fine thanks, just about to go actually. It's late here.

VintagePunk said:
Hey Dazz! :hug: Great news about your sister. :) Have you heard any more news about your mom?

VP:hug:
Omg i was /am SO happy!!! :hyper: :wipesbrowwithrelief:
we met up for a while yesterday to see this "Art Parade" [very amusing" in Sohobefore she headed back homward to do a little shopping before going home. SO that was very nice.

Not yet....:heart:
......but your comments have helped to help me keep on the calm side most of the time.

I see Sarah come home :)...........AGOOD LUCK for her & her classes. I'm sure she'll being doing on the plus side of her studies !

Back
Top Bottom