PGP: *ahem*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awwwwwwww, FroBaby :cute:.

Love the bit with your son, too, that's cool :). Glad to hear all seemed to go well-sorry Obama couldn't be there, but certainly understandable, and Biden and Clinton are worth seeing in their own right, so hey. Looking forward to reading about the full thing when you get the chance.

Hope the rain lets up soon!

The rain isnt supposed to let up anytime soon...Mr CK & I were making jokes about needing to build an ark while standing in line for the rally today :D

I've got batteries, gallon jugs of water, and am keeping the phones on their chargers when not in use. We're only getting the outer edges but it is more than enough for me!

Where are you Dazz? We are expecting 70+ winds later today.
Yeah, us too Wind-wise! :yikes:

omg>> they i think were not going to close a very few bridges (most have either been closed around 4P, others at 7P) like the RFK-Triborough Bride - but the Governer just closed this bridge because they got reports of a few 100 mph wind gusts. :crack:
I know you further south and in or near Tornadio Alley have dealt with is more than we. (high winds & /rain)

Grace, I'm in the western Bronx. I'm in a Apt building 6 stories / 2nd flr me. My windows face south, and east. But we are at the top of a moderate-medium hill aand the buildings south of us are smallish to small private houses. So on that side we are in a U-shape. aand there nothing to our south after that for several blocks.

My first concern is below us down the hill is a car window and hub cap repair/replacement service place. A Lot of stuff sits around out side. Of course they should have put stuff away but who knows how well taat's been done. My bedroom windows and bathroom ones face towards it.

So I got up on a chair and taped the the window closest to the more exposed part of the "U" upper rightside "pillar/arm". The othe window is closer to the gully of the "U", and it's ot the firescape window /window gate in place. I didn't do that one. Taped the bottom hslf of bathroom winow too hard to etn up to top as it overlooks my bathtub.

The I dceobated about the other windows . One I've just pulled the blinds down. There's also a locked window gate on that one because the width-end of trhe firescape is there.

THEN way in the wee hrs of last night Ii was reading on line about wind speeds ...so somewhere 100?mph oe 120mph or maybe somewhat below 100mph Roof Tiles can come off.
Well guess what the smallish building south of me has........ a tiled roof! :|

So I taped up the bottoms of the kitchen and other living room window. Did not do the tops so hope for the best all around. I pulled the shades down.
If i look like an idiot to a few oif my neighbors oh well....

:uhoh: Be careful there guys!
Thank's GG :hug:

Wow, really? That's...incredibly stupid. Hope he doesn't come to regret that decision in a big way.

Stay safe, everyone :hug:
thanks ML :hug:

Sometimes Mayor Bloomie is very good, but other times..... he can be extremely arrogant...and sometimes have a tin ear for working class & poor people as well.

He said something like "we have everything we need.." blah, blah :|

anyway, live tv casts look just awfull, just hoping all tube lines dont get flooded in NY and people get the F*** inside, that goes out to you too weather channel + all other reporters, if you stay out there reporting, so will people go out and film it :doh:
:hug:thanks JJ.

Here's the Big Problem w The Subway in Lower Manhattan. The whole southern end of Manhattan is basically a few feet above sea/river level.
Our subways some stations here and there have gotten flooded with RAIN Water over the decades.

But as far as I know NEVER Sait Water! THAT's the danger! There are 2 stations quite near the bay of the Hudson River Manhattan's southermost tip is and right by where The Staten Island Ferry docks. The river opens up into Upper & Lower Hudson Bay Statue of Liberty Island and Governor's Island are in it. Across the way (bay) is part of Northern New Jersey- Hoboken, Jersys City etc .

The Hudson River (Bay area) is techinically a Fjord ! The actually southern part of the river is sort of submerged and the Seawater from the Atlantic Ocean comes in. There are Tides practically up to Albany NYS!

I was thinking about 2 hours ago -- couldn't they at least have sand-baged THAT area??? Having seen enough TV footage over the years of people near the Missouri & Mississippi Rivers and local Rivers here in Northern Jersey who do that! :der:

My favourite geek is on CNN atm talking bout Sandy reject:

"The hurricane from hell, Katrina is a pea shooter in comparison" - Professor Michio Kaku

I love Dr Michio! He's a Professor here at City College (big breliever in String Theroy as well. :nerd:). I've known of him for dcecades since he's been an anti-nuclear weapons, maybe also nuclear power speaker esp in the 1980's. Saw him talking to us at some proest I was at from a flart bed truck.
He also has done a science radioo series i hear off & on in the past several years!

Dazz, CK, Grace BE CAREFUL!

the Obama rally was a crazy event. No Obama due to storm, but VP Biden & Pres Clinton did come into town. They moved everything up time-wise, and it was all done and over in about 3 1/2 hrs. I'm gonna do a full write-up in my personal LJ tomorrow provided we have power.

as for Frankenstorm, all hell has broken loose since post-rally. it is windy as hell here and POURING BUCKETS of rain. I'm near Youngstown, OH for those wondering. Also, I did post a few pics from the rally to my FB so those are available to look at.

Here, look at cute kids doing political stuff.

FroBaby 'eating' my Obama pin.
404662_370731593005631_507642505_n.jpg

Lil' CK watching his namesake, Pres. Clinton (my son's name is Clinton for those who don't know)
156609_370839456328178_1615142364_n.jpg

Aw, FroBaby :cute::cute::cute::cute:
And Lil' CK! :cute::cute::cute::cute:

Hi dazz :wave: still got power there ?

So far yes! :wave:

In the more inland (not on ocean, river edge) and higher up areas where most power lines are underground it's usually safe. Sometimes there can be an encroachment from those area maybe a bit into the underground lines...not sure.

however I have 3 flashlights, 2 transistor radios and candles/matces. :)

thanks for checking.

wow i'd only heard not seen the pics of thne crane yet . yikes!

:hyper::cute::heart:

aaawwwww Frobaby!!!
Not on fb so have missed photos! that's a great li'l photo, CK :lol:

oh no...yeah, tyou're near the western edge of the storm! :( :hug: be safe!!!

ETA

:der: :lol: been so busy getting last aftoon stuff done re storm.....

...that me hearing in early afternoon on radio hearing of Prs Obama cancelling being at rallies today....
didn't make the connection that yours would be one OF them!

B ut as said Prs Clinton and VP Biden are geat fun & /seroius as well speakers!

Yeah, Dazz...I put a few things up over the course of the day on my FB. I will do a full write up on my LJ and load photos to an album on FB tomorrow if the power stays on. Right now Mr. CK & I are keeping MSNBC and The Weather Channel on, and making sure that we have things ready to go in the event of power outages (flashlights close by, water ready for bottle making for FroBaby, snacks that dont require cooking like granola and cereal, etc).

And thanks Tara!

I just hope everyone in the worst paths of this storm stay safe!!! :heart:

The rain isnt supposed to let up anytime soon...Mr CK & I were making jokes about needing to build an ark while standing in line for the rally today :D

I've got batteries, gallon jugs of water, and am keeping the phones on their chargers when not in use. We're only getting the outer edges but it is more than enough for me!

:lol: Ah, darn. Well, hey, an ark would definitely be helpful right about now!

Good to hear it :up:. Yeah, I've heard the outer edges can be pretty intense as it is, I can't even imagine what it's like for people who are getting the brunt of the storm itself :crack:.

Glad to know you guys are as prepared as you possibly can be, though. Take it easy, guys, and again, stay safe. We'll be thinking of you and everything :hug:. Pop in when you can so we know you're okay (and I know that may be extremely sporadic at best, so, y'know, any silence is understandable).

Also, hey, you're on the news! Cool :D!

:uhoh: :uhoh:

ah, man the subways got hit with the salt water down in lower manhattan! :ohmy::angry: fuck

They cut the power from around 39th St southward! :ohmy:

Actually (just mentioned) it's been 10 yrs + a few months since the Last Gigundo Power Outage the one that hit from around Ohio then spread Eastward through to NYc and other Eastern States!

i was in Lower Manhattan wen that happened! But it was summer and 90+ F semi-humid! around4:00P ish?

I didn't walk across The Manhattan Bridge (the one U2 would go over by truck 2 years later! :hyper::drool::love: later!) until around a half hour before sunset when it was no longer shoulder to shoulder and the temps had gone done abit. By the time I got into brooklyn it was duskish! It would stll tsake me anothe3- 4 hrs to get home!

ah she's ok! "i'm watching television !"

yeah sure she can watch non-storm cable tv.

eh, since i was busy taking care of the rest of stuff i wasn't looking too much till like 9:30 ish plus.

tomorrows hide tide will be a foot less, and i noticed the wwinds started to die down 1 hour ago? a while after i made that comment about some in the courtyard.

By tomorrow less wind 40mph (nothing to sneezec at) less rain.

gaaaah some reporter was talking about how the East river currently the "shoreline" is Water St! :ohmy::ohmy: I know exactly where thast is! A block+ in from the East River. gah!

thety said the waters started to rush in to the tip of manhattan from both east and west!
flooding the brookyn-battery tunnel & Holland Tunnel

good morning everyone.

so far we are just getting hit with 45-50mph winds and TONS of rain. the schools where my mom teaches (an hour north of where we live) are closed, and all the PA schools near us (we live near the OH/PA border) are closed or closing.

Lil' CK has school today :angry: and if he hadn't already missed 1/2 day Friday and all day yesterday bc of the Clinton/Biden rally I would srsly consider keeping him home.

Dazz, you stay safe! :hug:

Gm, glad to hear everything is ok :hug:

why they interview people who are stranded in areas that were under evacuation order, they should get em to live tv and slap em :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom