Out Of Control - Chapter 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
**The following is a work of fiction. No offense intended to anyone, it’s all meant in good fun. Strong language, semi-adult themes

Chapter Eighteen

Holly was considering trying to sneak a nap in the green room backstage while the boys were playing. She hadn’t slept well in days, her head and back and feet ached from the normal strains of her job. Crossing the country in a few days time was exhausting enough when you were on vacation, and having to transport an entire production that far was a nightmare.

Somehow, they had made it to L.A. without losing any crew or equipment, the stage was set up and the boys were rehearsing. If Holly could keep her mind clear of the thoughts which had prevented her from sleeping soundly, this was the perfect time for a nap. She had just gotten into a comfortable position on the couch when she heard someone call her name. She groaned and covered her eyes with her forearm, hoping whoever was looking for her would get the picture.

“Holly Marie Black, are you sleeping on the job?” A familiar voice demanded, and Holly peeked out from under her arm to see her long time best friend standing before her, her hands resting on her hips and a melodramatic frown on her pretty face.

“Julie!” Holly laughed, jumping up from the couch to wrap her arms around her old friend enthusiastically. “What are you doing here?” She asked when she released the girl from her bear hug, settling back down on the couch with a sigh.

“I work here.” Her friend informed her. “I’m sort of a… liaison or concierge I suppose. I make sure the bands have whatever they need while they’re appearing here.”

“Wow! Do you like your job?”

“Holly, you know me. Rock and roll concerts and after parties every night is the dream life for me.” Julie laughed. “And now I get paid to do it.” She added with a wink.

“And it’s legal to do so.” Holly laughed.

“What about you? Have you proven yourself capable of a hard day’s work yet?” Julie asked, and Holly bristled at the sarcastic tone in her voice. Julie had never understood why Holly would want to work as a roadie when she could have had a much easier position with her uncle’s company.

“I feel good about my job.” She retorted defensively.

“I’m glad to hear that.” Julie told her, and Holly looked at her for a moment, trying to determine if she was being sincere. “I am!” She added with a chuckle. Holly blushed a bit at her suspicion and returned her friends smile.

“You want the truth?” She said with a heavy sigh. “I’m exhausted.” They both chuckled at the admission. Julie knew Holly too well, and she had known she was holding something back initially. “But I do like my job. And I think I’m good at it.”

“That’s good, then. You look good; you’re all… skinny and muscular.” Julie said, squeezing Holly’s left bicep for emphasis. “I hope you haven’t turned into an ‘all work and no play’ kind of girl.”

“Me? Never.” Holly assured her friend playfully.

“So, which one is he?”

“What?”

“Which one of the boys in the band are you ‘playing’ with?” Julie asked, her eyebrows lifted in a sign of curiosity.

“Ah….” Holly felt the blood rush to her cheeks and looked shyly down at her hands. She wasn’t sure just how to answer. At first, she had thought along exactly the same lines as Julie. What had ended up developing had turned out far different from the simple fling she had anticipated. It was much more complicated.

“More than one?” Julie asked, leaning in conspiratorially. “Or… Oh, Holly!” She gasped, her eyes widening as she sat back in her seat and studied her friend. “You haven’t done something stupid like falling in love with one of them.”

Holly’s silence was more than enough of an answer, and it sat between them like a neglected pet begging for attention.

“Oh, Hol. You know how many reasons there are that you shouldn’t do that, right?” Julie asked, the pity in her voice as irritating to Holly as a set of fingernails squealing against a chalkboard.

“Look – I’m not stupid. I didn’t get into it thinking about falling in love and spending the rest of my life worrying about what my rock star boyfriend was doing when I wasn’t around! Besides, you don’t know anything about these guys – they aren’t your typical flash-in-the-pan rock group.”

“Oh, Holly.”

“Don’t feel sorry for me or treat me like an idiot, Julie.” Holly told her friend sharply.

“Alright, it’s your life.” She agreed. “I wouldn’t mind getting to know that drummer a little better.” She said with a coy smile.

“Good luck with that!” Holly told her. “Not only is he not your type, he’s also very involved.”

“That’s never stopped me before.” Julie joked.

“You’d have more luck with Bono. He’s single and a total flirt.”

“He’s cute...” Julie replied thoughtfully. Before she could say anything more, Larry and Edge strolled into the room arguing over who had screwed up the timing on the song they’d been rehearsing.

“It’s not my fault you’re always off on some weird fucking timing different from the rest of us.” Larry complained, his face set in the usual scowl.

“All you have to do is not rush the bridge. Every god-damned time, what do you do? You take it twice as fast as it’s meant to be.” Edge retorted, his usually serene sea green eyes shimmering with the sort of passion Holly had only seen a few times. A curse was on Larry’s lips but he kept it silent when he saw they were being watched. He opened a bottle of soda and took a long drink instead.

“Hey.” Edge greeted Holly, calming considerably once he saw her there. He took two swift steps across the small room and bent to kiss her softly on the mouth.

“Hey.” Holly smiled weakly at him, her eyes shifting to see Julie watching. “You guys have met Julie, right?” She asked.

“Sure, we met earlier.” Julie replied, flashing a brilliant smile first at Edge and then Larry.

“Julie and I went to school together.” Holly informed them as Edge settled into the seat beside her, sitting so close that there was almost no space between them at all. Their knees leaned against one another, and his hand rested on her thigh.

“Oh, really?” Edge replied, his eyes lighting up with interest. “Have you some stories to tell us about our girl?” he asked, and Julie beamed back at him.

“Oh, I have some very good stories.” She replied, making Holly squirm uncomfortably. She’d never been so grateful to see Bono in her life as she was when he made his grand entrance at just that moment.

“Did I miss the fight?” He asked, hopping over the back of the couch and settling onto the cushion beside Larry. “You’re both still alive and breathing. I don’t see any blood.” He continued assessing the situation playfully. Larry held up his middle finger in silent response and finished off the soda he’d been steadily draining.

Adam entered the room in a much more casual manner, helping himself to a beer before sitting on the arm of the couch Larry and Bono were sharing. Alyx leaned against the doorjamb, her camera dangling from a strap around her neck and her arms folded beneath her breasts. She smirked to herself as she watched Bono and Larry. Bono teased Larry about giving up the fight too easily. Larry looked his friend straight in the face and emitted a nearly room shaking belch. Bono made a face at his friend but couldn’t help but chuckle with everyone. It was a contagious sort of laughter.

Adam summoned up a burp as well, though not nearly as loud. Bono was the next to give it a try, and Alyx rolled her eyes.

“I think I know where this is heading, and I’d suggest opening a window before they start the second half of this contest.” She said dryly, and received a round of laughter and several broad smiles from the guys. Holly couldn’t help but notice the difference in Larry when he looked at Alyx. She smiled and winked at her roommate knowingly.

She hadn’t shared all the details of what had changed between herself and Larry, but Alyx had told Holly more than she probably should have. At least, by Larry’s standards. So Alyx pursed her lips at Holly to remind her of that.

“No worries, Alyx.” Adam said, pausing to smack his lips as he so often did. He smiled and continued. “I’m not about to get into a farting contest. Not with Holly here.” To clarify that this was not out of respect for Holly’s feminine sensibilities, he continued. “None of the rest of us would stand a chance competing against her."

“Adam!” Holly squealed, her jaw dropping in shock and horror. Adam grinned playfully at Holly, whose face was turning a darker shade of red by the moment. “I cannot believe you!” she squealed, stopping short and clenching her mouth shut tightly. If she said anything in her defense, she would only make it worse.

“Oh, come on. He knows you fart in bed by now.” Adam teased, smiling a broad, cheeky grin. It was the sort of familiar smile only shared between the closest of friends and lovers. Holly covered her face with her hands, mortified. From the look on Edge’s face, he had been clueless about any such thing, and he didn’t appreciate Adam bringing it up.

“It’s news to the rest of us, though.” Bono said, trying to alleviate the tension which had overtaken the room. A few of them managed a nervous chuckle. “What about you, Lar? Would you like to share any interesting bed stories about Alyx?” He asked with a smirk.

“You just can’t keep your fucking gob shut about anything, can you?!” Larry growled, which only made Bono’s smile get bigger.

“I have my secrets.” Bono told him smugly.

“You’d better pray I don’t find out about them or they won’t stay secrets for long.” Larry threatened, one corner of his mouth turning up despite his attempt to remain serious. Bono’s eyes turned serious for a moment. It was almost to quick to be seen, but anyone who knew him well recognized the change and couldn’t help but wonder just what he had to hide.

I prounounce SG a U2 fanfic Goddess. Reading her stories is heavenly:wink: :drool:

Another great chapter as always! I bow to my clone the great writer. If I was half as good as you are I would be happy. :heart: :love:

Thanks for being so sweet and supportive, guys - I had some personal stuff going on for awhile that really kept me from writing much - and of course, when you're away from a project like this, the spark can die out a bit - in the past few days I've been thinking about it non-stop though, and making noted in all sorts of weird places :lol:

Hopefully I'll have time to get some of it written this weekend :)

Being able to get back on-line and read this was worth spending the money to get my stupid computer fixed. Great chapter SG :D

Back
Top Bottom