Ottowa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellyahern

Blue Crack Supplier
8 years and I still can't think of anything witty
Bono was at a news conference today before the show:

02474e97.jpg

e31518f2.jpg

Irish rockstar Bono addresses a news conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Friday, Nov. 25, 2005 prior to U2's sold-out show at the Corel Centre. While in Ottawa Bono met with political leaders and addressed world poverty. (AP PHOTO/CP, Jonathan Hayward)

ca47c06c.jpg

WOW!!! that last one is beautiful!:love: thank you kelly! :D

edit: oppps you weren't done posting. i am sorry. i mean the second to last one then. they all are.

ramblin rose said:
Thanks for the pictures Kelly. He looks so serious, yet gorgeous. :drool:

You're welcome :)

Yeah, from the yahoo articles, it seems like Canada's PM is exactly delivering on the promises he made in regards to world poverty, so Bono's not too happy :reject:.

But he still looks great :drool:, and cold, very very cold *brrr*.

P.S. I apologize to all Canadians for mis-spelling Ottawa in the thread title :reject:.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

P.S. I apologize to all Canadians for mis-spelling Ottawa in the thread title :reject:.

:mad:

:wink:

Thanks for the pics, Kelly. I expect the national news tonight will have plenty of Bono. They've actually officially declared today "U2 Day" in Ottawa.

(By the way, and completely, 100% off topic, has anyone seen Beli lately? )

My pics are soooooo bad and washed out that everyone looks like a ghost :mad:

Not to mention I was shaking. :madwife:

I had to post that link to the story though because in the article it says the word 'DROOLing' :giggle:

Last edited:
I think kelly meant to say that Bono isn't happy with Canadian PM Paul Martin's stance on global poverty. :wink:

Anyway, here's a link to a Canadian news article about what happened today:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...vertyhistory_20051125/20051125?hub=TopStories

Bono 'crushed' by PM's stance on global poverty
CTV.ca News Staff

Appearing on Parliament Hill, U2 frontman Bono said he's not just disappointed -- he's crushed -- by Prime Minister Paul Martin's failure to commit 0.7 per cent of GDP to eliminating global poverty.

With a federal election looming over Ottawa, Bono appealed to the "better nature" of what he called a "better country" to implore their prime minister to make the commitment without further delay.

At a packed press conference Friday afternoon, the outspoken Irish rocker told reporters Martin's reluctance to make the pledge flies in the face of public opinion.

"The Canadian people are ahead of the prime minister on these global poverty issues," Bono said, pointing to a recent EKOS poll that found widespread support for "more of the national purse into the world's poorest countries."

"This is the reason why I'm a fan of Canada," he added.

The fact the opinions of Martin and the Canadian public appear so far apart when it comes to meeting the 0.7 per cent aid target set out in the 'Make Poverty History' campaign, he said, have left him mystified and angry.

"I'm not just disappointed, I'm crushed actually," he said, blasting the former finance minister for not finding a way to make the numbers work.

"I'm mystified actually by the man at this point ... I just think it's a huge opportunity that he's missing out on."

Conceding the "absurdity" of a rockstar weighing in on such serious political issues, Bono said this issue is simply too dire for him to ignore.

"What we're really talking about is extreme poverty, stupid poverty, a brutal poverty that can be avoided," he explained. "It's something we just cannot permit."

When asked whether he thought Martin should be punished come election day, Bono warned the PM to expect to pay a political price.

"I think he will hear about it and feel it in the election, I'm absolutely sure of that -- this is not to be underestimated," he said, promising to raise the issue with every political leader he could during his time in the capital.

Mayor Bob Chiarelli has officially declared Friday U2 day in Ottawa, to coincide with a concert event the capital has been anticipating wildly for almost a year.

Since the Ottawa stop in the band's worldwide Vertigo tour was announced, Bono has made no secret the gig carries unusually political overtones.

"Paul Martin asked us to play the gig," Bono said when the date was first confirmed, promising to turn the event into a celebration or protest -- depending on whether or not Martin decided to sign on to spending 0.7 per cent of national income on foreign aid.

Bono, who lent his considerable star power to Martin's Liberal leadership victory celebration, has repeatedly described Martin as a "friend."

During an April concert in Vancouver, however, he chastised Martin for breaking a promise to meet the target.

--------------------------------------------------------------

GO BONO! :up:

Thanks Kelly!! Those pics are great. I hope Bono kick's Paul Martin's ass into gear. I love that huge sign that guy is holding up in the first pic with all the signatures. Bono must have loved to see that.

Back
Top Bottom