Opening Act part 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge's girl

Acrobat
Disclaimer: fiction, all of it

Daryl regained consciousness about noon, which the doctors say is a really good sign even if they do have him in a drugged sleep now. His mother – Julie – is on her way here, and should arrive any minute so I’m waiting in the hotel lobby. At least Seb has the decency to wait with me, Alex and Ryan have disappeared to god knows where.

Paul handled the press release, so now I owe him big time, and I’m feeling a little guilty about it since Troubled Offspring is my band so I should have dealt with it.

Julie walks it looking around like she can’t quite believe the kind of hotel she’s in. Daryl’s older brother, Jake, is with her.

“Hi,” I say awkwardly, Julie became like a second mother to me when I became friends with Jake and later Daryl and I'd really like to keep that relationship with her but I'm worried that I wont be able to since Daryl got hurt.

“How is he?”

“He regained consciousness a couple hours ago, they’ve got him out on pain meds now though.”

“I heard something on the radio about you’re still performing tonight,” she says turning to Seb.

“Yeah, we figured we could do the show as a three piece until Daryl’s better. That way U2 still has an opening act and we don’t loose our place as U2’s opening act.”

Julie sighs, “I wish I understood what went wrong.”

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“Between him and Carla. She must have done or said something because it’s not like him to act like that.”

I nod in agreement. “Unfortunately no one knows what.”

Edge walks into the lobby and gives me a smile and I find myself smiling back.

“Should I be asking questions about you and Mr. The Edge?” Julie asks me and I’m sure I’ve gone bright red.

Jake laughs. “You know she’s only had a crush on him since high school.”

“Shut up,” I tell him good-naturedly.

“Make me,” he retorts.

Julie turns serious again. “Would it be possible for me to go see Daryl now?”

I nod. “I’ll just find go find a car. Seb, you’re better to stay here so you can make sound check on time.”

It’s a quiet ride to the hospital, and I’m careful to keep my distance from the family when we’re there. Jake comes out to sit beside me in the waiting room after a while. “No sense in staying in there while he’s sleeping.”

I grin, that’s Jake for you.

“So what is going on between you and ‘Mr. The Edge’? And don’t you dare tell me nothing ‘cause when mom said it you went bright red.”

“Would you settle for an ‘I’m not sure’?”

He raises an eyebrow. “Explain.”

“Well he told me that he thought he was falling in love with me last night.”

“After Daryl got hurt?”

“Yep.”

Jake snorts. “Beautiful timing on his part.”

I explain what happened and Jake rolls his eyes. “Note to self, punch Ryan.”

“I think someone’s already given him a talking to,” I tell him.

“Yeah, well I’ll punch him anyways.” He pauses and looks at me. “You do know that you have a thing for bridges don’t you?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Your ‘thinking spot’ for as long as I’ve known you has been a bridge over the creek by your house. Now there’s a crisis situation and you go find a bridge.”

I shrug. “Hadn’t thought about it really.”

“Yeah, well, I’ll warn Edge so he knows he doesn’t have to spew out ridiculous statements next time he sees you on a bridge.”

I punch him in the arm. “No you wont.”

“Ahh, so you do like him. And here I thought you were objecting to him saying he loves you.”

I’m considering punching him in the face when Julie walks over to us.

“Who told Beth that he’s in love with her?”

Jake grins like the devils advocate. “Guess.”

Julie raises an eyebrow at me and says, “Well that will be something to tell Daryl when he’s up and about again. Especially since he mentioned in his last e-mail home that he thought you and Edge were going to end up as a couple.”

“Must be the first thing he’s got right all tour,” I mutter standing up and Jake sniggers.

Daryl is up and about a few days later and while he may not be running everywhere like he normally does he makes up for it by teasing me at every turn.

I’ve found a secluded corner backstage to work while they do sound check when Edge comes over and sits down beside me. I continue working and he puts a hand over my notebook so I can’t see what I’m doing.

“Do you mind?” I ask looking up.

He grins impishly, “come to dinner with me.”

“Now?”

“No, yesterday.”

I shake my head and smile. “Alright, let me just finish this.”

As I walk into the restaurant with him fifteen minutes later I decide I’m seriously undressed in my jeans and t-shirt. Of course this doesn’t bother Edge one bit, which I decide is one more of those rock star things that I’m never going to understand. There are quite a few pairs of eyes following Edge and I as we sit down which makes me more then a little nervous. ‘What the hell am I doing here?’ I wonder ‘I don’t belong in the world of the rich and famous’.

Edge reaches across the table and takes my hand. “Relax, they wont bite.”

I snort softly. “There’s a reason I mange bands, I hate being the centre of attention.”

He smiles, “well ignore them, they’re not important.”

“Maybe not, but I don’t want to make a fool of you.”

I hadn’t realised I’d spoken that thought out loud until Edge replies. “You wont make a fool out of me. They’re opinion doesn’t matter to me anyways, it’s you that matters.”

I can feel myself blushing and look down at the tablecloth. He raises my hand to his lips and kisses my knuckles. I look up into his intense green eyes and find that it’s suddenly easy to believe that we’re the only two people in the restaurant.

that's a lot longer then I planned it to be :reject: i hope to have the next part done tomorrow provided i get enough time to write.

Back
Top Bottom