Opening Act epilogue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge's girl

Acrobat
disclaimer: still fiction

(2 years later)

Another sound check in Vancouver. This time Troubled Offspring is headlining the show due to their recent number one hit off their new album. That song is ironically the once that they debuted here two years ago, Letting Go. This also marks two years since I last spoke to my mother. I’ve received the occasional e-mail from my brothers at Christmas and birthdays and to tell me when they’re kids were born. Daryl once joked that the only thing that got my mother off the tirade of ‘Beth should get married and have children’ was the fact that she didn’t want to have any kind of relation to a rock star.

Speaking of Daryl he fell in love over the break between albums. Which is a little relieving since he’s no longer secretly in love with me. She’s a nice girl too, though when I told him that he said “gee, glad to know she meets your approval mom”.

Daryl and I have been closer since the U2 tour and I’m glad that doesn’t bother Edge. Daryl told me that Edge had actually asked him to look out for me this tour, I don’t know why he thinks I need anyone looking out for me but the sentiments nice.

Suddenly someone lays a hand on my arm and I jump and spin around to see Edge.

“Bad Edge, don’t scare Beth,” says Daryl playfully from the stage.

I laugh. “What are you doing here anyway? I thought you were working on a new album.”

“Well Bono’s off saving the world again so we’re not getting anything done so I figured I’d fly over and see you.”

“Well I certainly don’t mind.”

He smiles and kisses me before turning to Daryl, “Mind if I steal your manager for a while.”

“Not at all. Who needs a manager anyway.”

“You guys,” I retort and Daryls laughter follows me out the door.

I walk hand in hand with Edge down to the coast line where we stop to look out over the water.

“Ever since last tour whenever I think of Vancouver I think of you,” Edge tells me. “I still can’t believe that you’d walk away from your family like that for me.” I turn to look at him but before I can say anything he continues; “and since then I’ve realized that I can’t live without you in my life and I’d like to make that a permanent arrangement. So will you marry me?”

Sometime when he was talking he’d pulled a ring out of his pocket.

For a second I gape at him before throwing my arms around his neck. “Oh my god yes!”

Daryl lets out a war whoop and yells “I knew it!” when he sees the ring before enveloping me in a crushing hug. “And you,” he says poking Edge in the chest, “better take good care of her or I’ll cut off your balls and feed them to by brothers cat.”

I thump him in the stomach. “Daryl!”

He grins, “What? It’s just a word of warning from your over-protective ‘little brother’.”

Now they’re about to start their encore. Daryl walks out and says, “Just before we play out last song of the night I’d like to send out a congratulations to our manager, Beth, who got engaged tonight.”

Suddenly a couple of crew members have picked me up and are carrying me out onto the stage.

“No, no, no! I don’t want to go on the stage! Daryl I’m so going to kick your ass for this!”

Daryl laughs. “Show them the ring, Beth.”

“I’m going to smack you with the ring,” I tell him, unfortunately the microphone is close enough to me to pick that up so everyone hears it.

Daryl grins and shakes his head before muffling the mic with his hand and saying to me seriously, “This one’s for you.”

They kick into Letting Go as I go back to my spot out of sight on the side stage. Edge comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist resting his chin on my shoulder. I intertwine my fingers with his as I watch Daryl pour his heart and soul into the song. As good as the memories of Vancouver are, for me they will always be slightly bitter sweet.

END

k I have two ideas for new fics. One is a sequel to this one and the other one is during the Zoo TV era so since I have no preference to which one I write first I’m asking you guys which one you’re more interested in.

i'll get started on the Zoo TV fic this weekend when i have some time to write.

and Mucca i'm glad u liked that line, i hadn't relized u were from Vancouver when i origanally drafted the story. though i've heard that U2's there now so tell us if you get to see them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom