Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunrazor

The Fly
Yes, this is a new story, just because I love y'all so damn much.

Warning! Warning! Danger, Will Robinson! This is SLASH. That means two guys gettin' it on. It's mild by industry standards, but apparently some people just don't go for that sort of thing. And that's okay. Just so they know.

Everyone else, enjoy.

Open
By Sunrazor

The airplane was quiet, the lights lowered so that the exhausted crew could get finally some sleep. Here and there, the glow of a reading light announced the presence of an insomniac wrapped in a blue airline blanket; most were reading. A couple of them watched the tiny TV's set into the back of the seats, the lights flickering staccato over their faces. The engines roared dully; not loud yet somehow deafening in their monotony.

Edge sat with his reading light out, staring out of the window and down at the tiny lights scattered on the black ground like stars in an inky sky.

He had been writing, phrases, scraps of what might eventually become lyrics, just anything that popped into his head. But now he was lost in his own mind, and the notebook and pen lay forgotten on his lap.

The last few days had been hell.

It was mostly because of Bono. Not that Edge blamed him.

Pulling himself up onstage, trying his best to sing well, despite the fact that he was dangerously short on sleep and his vocal cords were reduced to so much raw flesh, then flying home to be with his father for a few precious hours, then coming back and doing it all over again.

A couple of nights ago, Bono had snapped, and there had been a fight backstage. Blows were exchanged. Insults were screamed. It had ended with Bono standing red and shaking in a corner, his fists clenched and tears shining in his eyes with Adam and Larry hurling abuse and Edge standing between them all, trying to get Bono out of the room before something irreparable was damaged.

Later, at the hotel, Edge had tried to get him to talk. He had carefully and gently laid out the issues involved: That the band all needed to be on the same page emotionally, that it wasn't good to clam up about things that were bothering him, that he needed to open up and try to calm down, and most of all, that he needed to stop pushing the other guys away.

Bono had simply grunted, stalked up to his room, and locked the door.

Edge sighed. Hurricane Bono had quieted somewhat since then, but it was still obvious that not all was well. Bono had withdrawn, become distant and cold, spending much of his time in his hotel room, and had, for the most part, ignored the invitations to go out to dinner, or to clubs.

It wasn't like him at all. Edge was worried.

He turned to look across the isle, and was surprised to see that Bono was still awake.

His light was out to, and he was sitting so still that for a moment Edge had been sure that Bono was asleep, but his head was thrown back, and Edge could see his eyes open and glittering in the dimness.

Edge hesitated for a monent, then rose, slipped silently across the isle and into the empty seat next to Bono. Bono turned to look at him, his face draped in shadow. "Help you with something, Reg?"

Edge peered at him through the dim airplane light, trying to gauge Bono's mood. He didn't seem particularly upset, but there was something there all the same, under the surface.

"You okay, Bono?"

Bono sighed and looked down at his hands. "No. And you know why."

Edge laid a hand over Bono's. 'Yeah. I do. But I wish you'd talk about it."

Bono rubbed his hands down his face. "I know. It's just.... it's hard. You know that. if it was easy, I'd do it in a second." He looked away and out the window, and for a few minutes, neither of them said anything.

"I just feel so cut off from everything." Bono's voice was low, quiet. "I feel like there's this plastic bubble separating me from the rest of the world. I don't know if it's the lack of sleep, or what..."

He paused again. "I just wish I could stop this. I just wish I could quit the tour, and go home, and crawl into bed and never have to shake another hand, or pose for another photo shoot, or perform for one more bleedin' person."

Edge wrapped his hands around Bono's and squeezed. He did know how hard it was for Bono to talk. He also knew how desperately Bono needed to do so. "I just don't know how you do it," he murmered.

Bono looked back at him and smiled sadly. "Neither do I."

Edge smiled back. "We're here for you. You know that."

"I do."

"Then why won't you come to us? Why do you always push us away when you need us most?"

Bono looked down for a moment, absently brushing a stray lock of hair back behind his ear. "I'm not sure, actually." He chuckled. "Maybe I'm just a slow learner." He tried to turn away again, but Edge's hand shot forward, turning Bono's face back to his own.

"No, Bono. I'm not buying that this time."

'Edge... what..?"

Bono wasn't playing games; he really was confused, but Edge wasn't going to let him off easy this time. He could no longer afford to do so.

"No more dancing around, Bono. I need to know." Edge took a deep breath. A voice in the back of his head spoke up, wondering if he was about to push this too far, and he stomped it down fiercely. Bono needed to open up, and Edge felt sure that if he didn't now, he never would. "I need to know what you're scared of."

Bono didn't say anything for a moment, and Edge was afraid he'd lost him. Then, very quietly, "I'm afraid of frightening you all away."

Edge stared at him. He had been expecting a lot of things, but not this. "Why on earth would you be afraid of doing that?"

Bono closed his eyes. When he spoke again, his voice was trembling slightly. "I just feel everything so intensely. I'm an intense person, or so people tell me." He opened his eyes, and stared up at the ceiling. "I'm worried that if I lose control of these feelings, if I let them out at all of you, that they might push you all away.

"And I'm also afraid of being selfish. I'm afraid of making you all sick of me. I'm afraid of looking like... a whiny little pop star, I guess." He laughed ruefuly. "So when this all came crashing down on me, I closed my heart off. I suppose that, in a way, I thought that I was protecting you all from myself." He laid his head against the seat, still looking at Edge, but with his eyes now distant. "But it looks like I'm losing you all anyway." He moved forward slightly, so that he and Edge were forehead to forehead. "If that happens, I think I might die."

They stayed like that in silence, just enjoying the closeness, the contact.

After a few minutes, Edge raised his head slightly and gently brushed his lips against Bono's cheek. "Better?"

Edge could feel him smile. "Yeah, actually. Thanks for listening."

Edge grinned. "Wasn't that my whole point here?"

Bono laughed and squeezed Edge's arm. "Yeah. Yeah, I guess it was." He paused. "But I didn't tell you everything."

"Oh, no?"

"No. Edge...?" He stopped, and Edge could feel Bono's eyes boring into his.

"What is it?"

Bono closed his eyes again. "There is still something that I'm afraid of..."

He leaned forward and pressed his mouth against Edge's.

The kiss was chaste at first, barely more than that which close friends exchange, but it deepened, became more insistant. Bono's tongue danced lightly across Edge's lips, coaxing them apart. Edge moaned, his hands tangling in Bono's hair as their tongues dueled, exploring and intertwining, curving together delightfully. This is crazy, Edge thought, and then: I never want this to end.

But it did, and they broke apart, gasping. For a minute, neither moved; they stayed wrapped in each other's arms, unable to separate. Bono brushed his lips gently against Edge's ear, sucking briefly on the lobe. Edge moaned again and dug his fingers into Bono's back.

Bono pulled away and stared at Edge for a moment, then turned away to face the window. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

Edge reached for his shoulder, turning them back face to face. "Don't be."

Bono lowered his eyes, refusing to meet Edge's gaze. "No, I am. That went too far."

"Maybe you needed to go too far, tonight."

Bono said nothing.

Edge ran a hand gently down Bono's cheek. "Really. It's okay."

Bono looked up at him then, and Edge saw fear and love and a terrible hope shining in his eyes. "You're not angry, then?"

Edge laughed. "Did I try to stop you?"

He reached across and pulled the blanket out of his seat. "I think you need to get some sleep now, more than anything. We'll talk tomorrow."

Bono gently put a hand on Edge's arm. 'Could I just ask you one thing?"

"Anything."

"Could you stay with me? I mean, just until I'm asleep..."

Edge laughed again. "Sure. And you will sleep?"

"You know, somehow I think I will."

Bono curled against him, tucking his head under the guitarist's chin as Edge spread the blanket over them both. Edge yawned. He hadn't realised how tired he was.

"Bono?" he whispered.

Silence.

Edge chuckled, then yawned again.

"Goodnight, Bono."

The plane roared on, over sleeping, oblivious lands. Off in the east, the first light of dawn peeked cautiously over the horizon.

The two men slept on, knowing none of this. They slept deeply, without dreams, and without care.

There would be time for waking.

------------------
"It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Fight Club

"Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so you don't forget. Forget that there are places in the world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside that's yours, that they can't touch. That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you." - The Shawshank Redemption

"All God wants is a willing heart and for us to call out to him." - Bono

"Ohh!!! Egyptians!" - Me, on AOL IM

[This message has been edited by Sunrazor (edited 08-26-2001).]

eek.gif

I'd love to see the guys faces if they read that story !
wink.gif

Cool story Sunrazor.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Bah! Good writing, but now I'm mad at Edge and kind of weirded out. *shower*

------------------
~*Mona*~
"What you don't have you don't need it now, What you don't know you can feel it somehow." ~U2~

"You give me something to sleep to at night" ~Michelle Branch~

Originally posted by WildHonee:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Bah! Good writing, but now I'm mad at Edge and kind of weirded out. *shower*

Sorry, Mona. Maybe I should have warned you.
But I wanted it to be a surprise! *evil grin*

------------------
"It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Fight Club

"Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so you don't forget. Forget that there are places in the world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside that's yours, that they can't touch. That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you." - The Shawshank Redemption

Originally posted by Sunrazor:

Sorry, Mona. Maybe I should have warned you.
But I wanted it to be a surprise! *evil grin*

I'm gonna have evil jealous nightmares *Mona gets revenge on Edge and steals Bono back and spirits him away to a land of lust and chocolate and mangos and cake and leather pants and--*

Ooh someone write a story about that!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~
"What you don't have you don't need it now, What you don't know you can feel it somehow." ~U2~

"You give me something to sleep to at night" ~Michelle Branch~

HOLY SHITE SUNRAZOR!!!!
AAAAAAHHHHHH!! MY EYYYYYEEEESSSSSSS!!!!
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
http://plauder-smilies.com/eek2.gif[/ IMG]

Okay,okay. *WHOO.* I've calmed down somewhat. So here's my two cents worth: I DON'T WANT U2 STORIES LIKE [b][i]THAT!!![/b][/i] It's taking the Bono-Edge thing just a bit TOO far...we's PLEBA and WE WANT OUR U2...um, the regular way, please. [img]http://www.u2news.com/u2feedback/wink.gif So there.

Disco...kinda disgusted, actually
tongue.gif

Mad at EDGE??? Mad at BONO I'd say! GAAAHHHH!!!!! And I thought what I wrote was scandalous!!!
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by WildHonee:

Okay, okay... Geez, Disco.
I'll WARN you the next time I do that.
You should go to Fanfiction.net. They have some stuff there in the U2 section that makes this look TAME.

Really. Sorry, Disco. Didn't mean to make your corneas bleed.
tongue.gif

------------------

I think I agree w/ Disco on this one.....
kinda grossed out !!
wink.gif

------------------
I'm just a singer,some say a sinner.Rolling the dice,not always a winner.
You say I've been lucky,well hell I've made my own.
Not part of the crowd,but not feeling alone.

----Two Shots of Happy One Shot of Sad-----

Sunrazor, this story is REALLY well written. I really like the way you wrote it, it's beautiful. And somehow I don't mind the whole "Bono-Edge go too far" thing because of the way its written... normally I'd be really disgusted, but this is actually written with taste.

Wow, you really have a talent... it's kind of inspiring. Thanks for sharing it!
smile.gif

------------------
"From an artist's point of view, failure is where you get your best material." -Bono

CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE! I FINALLY UPDATED IT AFTER A VERY LONG TIME! SLIDE SHOWS AND A TON OF PICS FEATURING U2!

http://rattleandhum.icyspicy.com

*aHEM*
To Discoteque, and browneyedgirl, and Mrs. Edge and WildHonee (I think. I'm actually not clear on whether or not you guys are mad at me)

I am sorry.

I realize that there are some people who don't like slash. I've just spent too much time in the U2 section of Fanfiction.net, I guess.
It was thoughtless of me to include no warning, and I apologize. There is a warning now. I will never make THAT mistake again.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't hate me. I really had no idea that some of you found this so repugnant.
I'm really, really sorry, and I'm gonna go cry now.
frown.gif

------------------

I like it Sunrazor. Thanks for the hot tip about the *ahem* other site.

This was kinda what I was hoping the Elevation video was going to do. You know, evil Bono ties up Edge. Oh well...

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Aww, Sunrazor don't cry!
You are a very good writer, and I thought that that was actually pretty tame. You have enormous writing skill and I actually thought it was kind of a sweet story.
smile.gif

Hug,
Blueeyes

Okay, now that I've apologized, I'm gonna mention something that struck me.

Mrs. Edge just posts a story that features a threesome and is borderline NC17 fare. (not that I have ANY problem with that. At ALL.
wink.gif
)
Everyone is thrilled.

I post a story that is tasteful (I think), G rated, and features a kiss between two men.
Quite a few people are appalled.

I just.... don't GET it.
*sigh*
Not mad, really, just bewildered.

------------------

That was a very sweet story, Sunrazor! Please don't feel bad- I don't think that the people you mentioned are mad at you in any way or think the story's "so repugnant." I don't want to speak for anyone, but it was probably kinda shocking for some people to read some slash. Also, the whole Bono-Edge thing is something we like to joke about, but to actually read about it going a little farther probably freaked some people out a little.

Anyway, thanks for posting the story and sharing your talent with the rest of us.
smile.gif

------------------
"We miss our lemon, I'd just like to say that." - Bono 5/9/01

I agree with Enormous Citrus fruit, I mean, Giant Lemon (sorry!). I didn't get the impression that anyone was angry, but they were probably just a little surprised. Please don't feel bad sunrazor!
smile.gif

Hugs,

Hey, hey, hey, HEY!!!!! Don't get upset, mine was an embarrassed face, not a mad face! I really enjoyed it! In fact, I found it rather stimulating!!! I was just saying the opposite of WildHonee, that I was jealous of Bono for helping himself to my boy that way!

I didn't find it repugnant, just scandalous in a different way from mine. I'm going to have to look into this fanfic stuff in more detail, just haven't had time yet. I've even been thinking of posting there.

Anyway, don't cry!!

No PLEASE don't apologise or censor yourself for me!!!!!
biggrin.gif

That would be CRAZY......I just shared my first reaction.....I'm not into censoring anyone's writing at ALL.....It's all cool ...
Write whatever you want.....I'm from liitle conservative Cincinnati ,it's not hard to shock me!!!
wink.gif

------------------
I'm just a singer,some say a sinner.Rolling the dice,not always a winner.
You say I've been lucky,well hell I've made my own.
Not part of the crowd,but not feeling alone.

----Two Shots of Happy One Shot of Sad-----

*Sunrazor looks up hopefully from her keyboard. Her desk is littered with kleenex*

You mean... you DON'T hate me forever now??? YAAAAYYYYY!!!!

*she does an Irish jig*

Well, anyway, I guess I DID mis-gauge some people's reactions.... Shock does sem to be the big thing... and ya know what? Maybe that's not so bad. Maybe it's good to shake up the citizens a little.
Anyway... I CERTAINLY wouldn't censor myself because of what anyone here thought. I'll just be careful to include warnings in these things in the future.

Mmmm.... I feel better. Who wants Bono-shaped waffles?

------------------

I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE IT!!! Please keep up the story, if that was your intention, if not, bravo on your story, it was well written.

------------------
You put on the leather pants and the pants start telling you what to do. -Bono

Whoa this thread came out of nowhere. I was reading and was like 'this sounds familiar' I already read it and responded to it and I just got outta the shower too.....

------------------
~*Mona*~
Bono Representative of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"There are groups at the top of the charts that are hailed as the saviors of rock 'n' roll...but they are amateurs. They don't know where the music comes from." ~Bob Dylan~

"What you don't have, you don't need it now. What you don't know, you can feel it somehow."~U2~

don't let people push you around, sunrazor. (not that i think you guys were being mean. don't flame me.) it is a well written story. i personally read ER fanfiction, but only by a certain author. they are an incredible writer and their stories are very tasteful. i have yet to read better ER FF. your story is good. but a little advice...

ADAM and BONO!!!!

take it to a new level, put my favorite bassist in the mix!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
?Hard as it is to keep it together, it is still possible to have those moments when it?s just the four of you being able to keep the rest of the world out... and that?s what it?s all about.?
-Adam

Love,
Emily

She's gonna dream out loud...

shit. there are 113 stories at that site, sunrazor. and most of them are slash.

*sits with mouth wide open*

gee, PLEBA girls, we thought we were obsessed.

------------------
?Hard as it is to keep it together, it is still possible to have those moments when it?s just the four of you being able to keep the rest of the world out... and that?s what it?s all about.?
-Adam

Love,
Emily

She's gonna dream out loud...

That was an excellent piece of fiction Sunrazor, you, like Jess have a great gift.

You know, I can actually picture a moment between them like the one you wrote about. And I don't find it weird or gross because they are human and men should be allowed to express some emotion without society jumping to conclusions. I love the fact that they openly express affection for each other, it says something about their friendship and love for each other, I think their spouses & sig. others are lucky to have men that are not afraid to be human.
IMO, men who are open about their emotions are 110% better than men who act like MrMacho jerks.

*disclaimer...I do not mean to offend anyone, we all have opinions regarding this kind of topic and I am merely stating my POV.
smile.gif

------------------
"She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in....She's gonna dream out loud.."

"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

Wow!! I really liked it, so well written. And I have no problem at all with them kissing, very sweet.

You have to look at the whole story. Bono?s afraid of loosing them and he can't find a way of showing them how much they mean to him. And Bono is a man that do go too far once in a while, in all kind of situations and why not in showing, in this case Edge, how much he loves him.

For me the kiss had nothing to do with the woman-man kind of love. Just an very openminded Bono that felt he had to go too far and it seems like Edge knows that he has to do that some times and was very happy that he finally showed something, since he had been very closed for a long time.

Very sweet story about the love this band has for each other.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast and Stockholm, YEAH! " ~ Bono in Stay, Sthlm 9th july 2001

Sunrazor...I just read your story, and I really liked it. You've been so delicate, so gentle, telling all those things...I really appreciate your talent. I think I will read this story again...I think it's...TENDER. Definitely tender. A story of real friendship.

Damn, real good story!!!

I have to confess that's hard to imagine Bono and Edge french kissing, but who knows???

Here is just fiction, although, I'd rather hear the same story BUT with different stars. For example : Backstreet Gays!!!
eek.gif

How'bout Nick Carter with Howie, LMAO!!!
biggrin.gif

That would be just PERRRFECT!!!

But, you would have to post your story on another site. You may forget my suggestion...

But, once again: Congrats
smile.gif
!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Bono & I: We shine like a burning star, we're falling from the sky... Tonight"

Eat your heart out, gals! (LMAO)

Back
Top Bottom