Online chat... comments and thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ramblin rose said:

You know what bothered me, is that he said this in a WEBCHAT that basically was being listened to by the diehard fans.

My only consolation was that the other 3 stepped in to defend the fans. (I kind of got the impression that Bono was a little annoyed.)

I agree - yay for Bono! Yes I love him as a person, but when I finally get to meet him, I'm not gonna gush about how much I love him, I just wanna tell him how grateful I am for everything he has done over the years. :yes:

*and then maybe grab his tushie before he can run away* :mac:

I got to hear the chat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know lots of people did but they were not trying to get bloody speakers working all day!

10 mins before 8 I finally got some sound out of them (had them in the wrong hole!!!!!) but then nothing, it would not let me listen, realplayer kept saying error. So I fussed around, swore, I could actually hear my heartbeating through my earphones and finally at about 10 past 8 I got sound!!

I had actually went to a radio station online and I thought they were playing electrical storm but it turned out to be the chat, thankfully they were running late.

Anyway on to the chat, overall I thought they were down to earth, funny guys. I thought Adam was very funny but his phone line was rubbish! How perfect is he??!?! And he cooks!!!I loved the question about if they all go for dinner who pays first, Edge says they all want to pay first! But Adam invites them to his home and COOKS!!And gives them his expensive wine!

If you get the transcript you will see more but I am being brief, someone already mentioned about him saying "its a river", very funny!

The only thing I did not like was Larry's comments about fans, now I am a fan of the music, I have never been the type to get hysterical over anyone. If I walked past Bono or any of the guys I would do just that, walk past them. I am not into buttering anyone up or massaging egos .

But I felt bad for those people who have stood outside studio, I though Larry was very rude and disrespectful. :madspit: I could see through it if he was being harrased but I doubt that ever happens. I enjoy reading the stories where fans have met U2.

Though I was very very happy with the other 3 guys, they made it clear they do not mind as long as people don;t camp outside their homes. Larry sorta said fans should let Bono walk straight into the studio and make music (basically meaning he is wasting time outside with fans). I think this annoyed Bono and he got his point across.

Apart from that one part it was a great chat, ok no big exclusives but got to hear nice accents! Though I sat the whole time being jealous of them in NY!:drool:

Oh one thing, Bono was talking about the next album and said it could be ready before Christmas, but my player cut out just then, did he laugh and say something about not before but maybe by the end of Christmas???

Does this mean they will all be back in Dublin soon recording? (or back somewhere?

The bitch in me things we should round up as many people as possible, stand outside the studios in Larry t shirts chanting his name!!!! That will teach him a lesson!!!!!:mac:

IrishThunder said:

The bitch in me things we should round up as many people as possible, stand outside the studios in Larry t shirts chanting his name!!!! That will teach him a lesson!!!!!:mac:

:lol: :lol: lmfao!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha...oh gawd that would be so funny...i missed that part of the interview when Larry made that comment...i will have to listen to this interview again.

IrishThunder said:

Oh one thing, Bono was talking about the next album and said it could be ready before Christmas, but my player cut out just then, did he laugh and say something about not before but maybe by the end of Christmas???

Does this mean they will all be back in Dublin soon recording? (or back somewhere?

I thought B said that it wouldn't be out by this CHristmas (ie a little over a month) but it should be done by next Christmas (2003).

You are probably right, as I said the line went fuzzy. Hopefully a transcript will be online soon as sometimes the lines were crackly for me and I missed out on bits.

IrishThunder said:

The only thing I did not like was Larry's comments about fans, now I am a fan of the music, I have never been the type to get hysterical over anyone. If I walked past Bono or any of the guys I would do just that, walk past them. I am not into buttering anyone up or massaging egos .

But I felt bad for those people who have stood outside studio, I though Larry was very rude and disrespectful. :madspit: I could see through it if he was being harrased but I doubt that ever happens. I enjoy reading the stories where fans have met U2.

If you are not the type of person who harassed Larry, then you shouldn't be insulted. :shrug:

Larry wasn't being disrespectful by essentially stating he wanted peace at his work- it's his perogative. Maybe he won't get peace, but he has every right to want it.

I thought the interview was amazing, they all sounded so relaxed and happy, and it seems the music is coming along very easily. Yay! :D

oliveu2cm said:

Larry wasn't being disrespectful by essentially stating he wanted peace at his work- it's his perogative. Maybe he won't get peace, but he has every right to want it.

I really hesitated to post about this, cause I don't want any 'arguing' of any kind :) But just to give a bit of my opinion..

Larry and Bono seem very different to me-Bono enjoys the attention :D, whereas Larry is far more introverted/guarded. He would only be 'disrespectful' to fans if he felt they were being disrespectful to him. The one time I was lucky enough to observe him (not outside the studio), he was VERY courteous and respectful, even though he didn't say much, but that's just his personality.

Maybe he was referring more to people who repeatedly are outside the studio, even after they have already met the band once or more than once. If that's his opinion, then I think he has the right to have and express it. And like Olive said, he is very serious when they are working at the studio.

I think U2 would be very boring if all 4 members had the same personalities and had to all go along w/ Bono's (or any other band member's) opinion. I think their different personalities/opinions improve their creative process, which ultimately benefits us all :)

Gina Marie said:

I really hesitated to post about this, cause I don't want any 'arguing' of any kind :) But just to give a bit of my opinion..

Larry and Bono seem very different to me-Bono enjoys the attention :D, whereas Larry is far more introverted/guarded. He would only be 'disrespectful' to fans if he felt they were being disrespectful to him. The one time I was lucky enough to observe him (not outside the studio), he was VERY courteous and respectful, even though he didn't say much, but that's just his personality.

Maybe he was referring more to people who repeatedly are outside the studio, even after they have already met the band once or more than once. If that's his opinion, then I think he has the right to have and express it. And like Olive said, he is very serious when they are working at the studio.

I think U2 would be very boring if all 4 members had the same personalities and had to all go along w/ Bono's (or any other band member's) opinion. I think their different personalities/opinions improve their creative process, which ultimately benefits us all :)

After reading the transcripts and these comments, I think I get it a little better, it was just at the time it seemed a little icy. Maybe this would just be a challenge to all of us to stay as respectful as possible, understanding that sometimes we are invading working and personal time, and just do the smile and wave thing or whatever.
It would be really pointless for anyone to get openly pissy toward Larry about these comments because, number one, he is fully entitled to them since he is looking at this whole thing from a totally different place than we are, and, number two, you can't prove that you're respectful by being disrespectful.
I guess the thing is to be cool, because the band does appreciate that.

It's not what he said necesarily that bothered me.

It just didn't seem like a Webchat was the time or place to start airing out his frustration about the fans, or as he put it, his "intolerance" of the fan.

Larry was asked a direct question: "Do you wish you weren't famous?" Obviously as being famous he sees dealing with "fanatics" (he specifically differientiated from "fans") as something he wished he didn't have to do.

The one time that I was able to meet Larry he was an absolute sweetheart. He posed for a picture with my aunt, and made sure that everyone out there that day was able to get an autograph and or pic that wanted one. It amazed me, because I knew he was the least to enjoy the autograph sessions. I am still humiliated however because when he came to me, the only thing I had with me was an 8/10 photo of Bono, and he was like "I'm not going to sign that" and then scribbled his name all over Bono's face!!!:lmao:
But still the entire time he was laughing with me because I was so embarassed.
I feel that they have all the right to not want people hanging out at their homes, most importantly for the safety issues, and for their families. But I think that if a fan were to travel to Dublin and wanted to visit the studios once in their lifetime, it should be ok to hang out for an hour and see if the band were to show up. And as Bono said, he used to do it too!
Overall, I loved the interview, it was so great to hear how close they are still, you can just hear it in their voices! True U2 :heart: !

here's my two cents on what LMJ said,

it's his opinion and we should respect that, even if you don't agree with what he said.

I dont' consider myself to be one to "hang around " the studio, altho when I when to Ireland this year, I did go there to see where it was and we waited around for a while to see if any of the band were there, in hopes they might come out.

If I return to Dublin some day, i seriously doubt I would go back to the studio - what would be the point? It was cool to see the place where they record and all, where they find inspiration for the songs, etc. But I don't see myself hanging outside the studio for days on end. That does seem quite weird to me...

:larry:

i think we should pick Larry's comment to death. ;) *i am kidding*

seriously, i know and understand what he meant. fanatics vs. fans are different. i too would be annoyed if i saw the same people hanging out of my place of work on a daily basis for hours at a time. i would begin to worry about my safety.

anyway, great interview. i am just happy that i was able to listen to it while at work. :D

oliveu2cm said:

If you are not the type of person who harassed Larry, then you shouldn't be insulted. :shrug:

I thought the interview was amazing, they all sounded so relaxed and happy, and it seems the music is coming along very easily. Yay! :D

I think "Harass" is a strong word, I hardly think a grown man can be harrassed by some loyal fans who just simply want to meet their idol.

It was not just what Larry said that bothered me it was the tone.

Maybe he is not a "showman" like Bono, neither am I, I guess it is like my sister and I. She is outgoing and could talk with anyone and I like to keep myself to myself, which is why I'd never choose to be famous but I would never be rude to anyone.

His fans who probably paid for tickets, cd's, books etc that pays for his nice mansion,flashy cars and trips around the world.

I was insulted on behalf of those fans, I felt sorry for anyone listening to the chat and Larry's comments that did stand around outside studios, how must they have felt.

I am not saying people should wait outside all day and all night, follow the guys around but I don't think spending a bit of time with the people who put you in the place you are is asking too much.

Larry can have his opinion but so can I.

But if Larry dislikes seeing his fans "waste" time outside all day, and gets annoyed with them habging around (which means he must watch through the window) why not take 5 mins out, go out and give a few hellos and everyone will be happy. If when he leaves some fans decide to stay, so what?? He gets into his flashy car and drives home, no big deal.....

From the chat I don't think I am alone in thinking this, Bono and The Edge seemed a little pissed off at Larry for his comments.

I don;t think many people with the expection of U2 fans would even know who Larry was if he came walking down the street.

I just hate it when celebrities (especially if like Larry and they don't appear in gossip magazines nor are there many family pics around in tabloids) don't mind taking money from the fans but moan at the slightest thing. Is he a man or a mouse???

Last edited:
IrishThunder said:

His fans who probably paid for tickets, cd's, books etc that pays for his nice mansion,flashy cars and trips around the world.

I was insulted on behalf of those fans, I felt sorry for anyone listening to the chat and Larry's comments that did stand around outside studios, how must they have felt.

I just hate it when celebrities (especially if like Larry and they don't appear in gossip magazines nor are there many family pics around in tabloids) don't mind taking money from the fans but moan at the slightest thing. Is he a man or a mouse???

So, you're saying that it's perfectly okay for someone to loiter around a place of business simply because they voluntarily purchased a cd, book or concert ticket??

Larry is not saying that he dislikes the fans. He's saying that he is intolerant towards those who expect him to be at their beck and call just because they like the band. He is just trying to keep the focus on the music and not on the individual band members. After all, his tone wasn't harsh or angry. He went out of his way to emphasize that it's the "fanatics", not the fans, who disturb him.

I don't think anyone who always puts forth maximum effort, whether it's recording an album or playing live, is taking and not giving back. You pay for a cd or ticket and he does his best to provide a good album and great show. Anything beyond that is totally within his discretion and I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be allowed to go to his "job" or be with his family without having to worry about a crowd surrounding him and demanding autographs and photos.

Just my opinion.

U2SJ said:
"I'm not going to sign that" and then scribbled his name all over Bono's face!!!

GREATNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahhahahahahh!!!
:laugh::lol::lmao::laugh:

This is my crappy opinion on the Larry/fan comment.

Yes, I would be tired of people constantly staked out waiting for me, no argument there. But, I will say that maybe his timing (on an online fan chat) and exact words (maybe he didn't clarify himself) were wrong. I do feel sorry for all of those people who have waited outside the studio for him......I mean it's like "hell, I just waited out here to see him, and now I feel like a fookin' idiot."
But I do see where he's coming from.........although he doesn't have nearly the amount of exposure and media attention that Bono has..........thank God, he'd probably explode or something:lol:

binkstefu2 said:

So, you're saying that it's perfectly okay for someone to loiter around a place of business simply because they voluntarily purchased a cd, book or concert ticket??

Larry is not saying that he dislikes the fans. He's saying that he is intolerant towards those who expect him to be at their beck and call just because they like the band. He is just trying to keep the focus on the music and not on the individual band members. After all, his tone wasn't harsh or angry. He went out of his way to emphasize that it's the "fanatics", not the fans, who disturb him.

I don't think anyone who always puts forth maximum effort, whether it's recording an album or playing live, is taking and not giving back. You pay for a cd or ticket and he does his best to provide a good album and great show. Anything beyond that is totally within his discretion and I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be allowed to go to his "job" or be with his family without having to worry about a crowd surrounding him and demanding autographs and photos.

Just my opinion.

Well for one thing Fan is derived from the word Fanatic so Larry got that wrong, they are the same thing.

I know you can have obsessed fans and I agree they would not be fun to have around but I am sure Larry is not followed everyday of the year!

U2 are not business men who go work on computers all day, they are famous and that comes with fans. I personally don't think it is too much to ask to entertain a few fans outside every now and again in exchange for the life Larry has. I know many people in the World who would not mind a bit of hassle for it.

Last night was a chat for fans, why do it? To promote their album, if none of us had tuned in how would U2 have felt?? I thought it was a case of wrong place and time for Larry to comment like he did.

IrishThunder said:

Well for one thing Fan is derived from the word Fanatic so Larry got that wrong, they are the same thing.

I know you can have obsessed fans and I agree they would not be fun to have around but I am sure Larry is not followed everyday of the year!

U2 are not business men who go work on computers all day, they are famous and that comes with fans. I personally don't think it is too much to ask to entertain a few fans outside every now and again in exchange for the life Larry has. I know many people in the World who would not mind a bit of hassle for it.

Last night was a chat for fans, why do it? To promote their album, if none of us had tuned in how would U2 have felt?? I thought it was a case of wrong place and time for Larry to comment like he did.

I respectfully disagree on all points. There is a huge difference between a fan and a fanatic. I'm a big fan of both U2 and Larry but I'm not fanatical. I define a fan as someone who has a deep appreciation for a band and it's music. A fanatic is someone who takes that appreciation to unacceptable levels, i.e. stalking, loitering around private homes, etc. I don't want to be around fanatics anymore than Larry.

I don't think Larry is against giving an autograph or two but how do you expect them to record an album if they have to satisfy a crowd outside the studio every hour? And, they have to be businessmen to a point. After all, it is the music business and they have an organization to run as well as produce new music. Their offices are there as well and I just don't think it's cool to hang around when people are trying to work.

Finally, Larry was asked if he ever wished he wasn't famous. He simply answered the question. Also, it was perfectly logical to say something like that in a chat with those who are mostly hardcore fans. It's those among the hardcore who are the very ones who are causing the disturbance. Not all, of course, just a few. They would most likely be listening, right? Perfect opportunity to set some things straight as far as I'm concerned.

I completely understood what Larry was trying to say. It's a shame that he had to say it all.

Gina Marie said:

I was thinking about this later and I thought that this is probably what he was referring to. But I don't think he can possibly know who has just spent a couple of hours there and who has been there for weeks time and time again...

Anyway, this is not such a big deal... We all know how Larry is. Bono and him are just so different! :shrug: All's good. :D

And I can't help but love the difficult one... :sigh:

Last edited:
flaming june said:

I agree with him that fans should not approach their houses, but I don't see anything wrong about waiting patiently in front of the studio... :shrug:

What's wrong with it is that some people go too far and make a career out of it. The studio is their place of employment, a place they HAVE to go in and out of (like their homes) and it must get annoying to always be bugged there. Some people only go on vacation once or twice, and we all want that, but there have been some fans who sit there for days and days on end! I mean even after they have already met the band. If I were the band and I saw the same ones over and over even though they've already gotten autographs, pics and even rides, I would have to think, dear God, what do they want from us??!!! I think that's the kind of people he's talking about and I don't blame him a bit. Maybe if Bono and the others had the 'balls' to shun that type of fan there would be a lot less of it going on. It's like Dear Abby always says, 'no one can take advantage of you without your permission'- and they do not get Larry's permission!

Sigh, I only hope he doesn't also feel that way about girls who spend a lot of time online talking about them :uhoh:

Ok what EXACTLY did Larry say?? I must have missed that part.

In any case.. I think over the years I have become more of a Bono girl. Now that I'm older and really pay attention to how their different personalities are, rather than being 15 and being like ""omg Larry is SO HOT!!"" I am realizing that Bono is such a wonderful person and really enjoys the fans. Though I can understand wanting your privacy and not being bombarded by fans hanging around wherever you go. I guess everyone is different and we should respect that.

It is not anything we didn't already know.

Come on. :|
If you've followed the band for any time at all, you know how Larry feels about autograph hounds.
He was more out there (greeting the fans) on the Elevation tour than I ever remember him being before. I suppose he just thinks that there is a time and place for it, and at the studio or while he is eating is not one of those places. I haven't met him yet, but from what I've seen and heard from fans who met him before and after Elevation concerts, he was very cordial and even joking / laughing at times.
So if you want to chat up Lardence, wait 'til the next tour.
:drool: :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom