One Tree Hill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Hi PLEBA!

On this day 3 July, 1986, one of U2's closest friends and associates, Greg Carroll, passed from our earth. :sad:

Greg was a Maori man that U2 met and befriended when he worked as part of U2's road crew when they toured the South Pacific area in the mid-80's. (Greg was from New Zealand)

In honor of the 18th "anniversary" of the passing of Greg Carroll, does anyone have any pics of him and U2 that you can post?

It would be a fitting tribute to a dear friend of U2's, especially Bono. (Bono, of course, wrote the song "One Tree Hill" in Greg's memory) :up: :hug:

I'LL SEE YOU AGAIN WHEN THE STARS FALL FROM THE SKY AND THE MOON HAS TURNED RED OVER ONE TREE HILL ....

:bono: :heart: :heart: :angel: ;)

neutral said:
Hmm I can't find any. There's supposedly a video clip somewhere that shows pics of them and from the funeral, but I can't find that either. :mad:

I understand he can be seen onstage at Live Aid, but I don't know what he looks like so I can't screenshot it and post those images of him and the band.

RIP Greg Carroll, even if it's a day late on this side of the world. I cry half the time I listen to One Tree Hill, especially the 26 December 1989 performance. I'm a New Zealander myself, so this song's special to me for a number of reasons. I am still outraged that some bastard chopped down the one tree. I was lucky enough to go to One Tree Hil when the tree was still there in 1993 - I was only six at the time, but I can still faintly remember looking up the hill.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I am still outraged that some bastard chopped down the one tree. I was lucky enough to go to One Tree Hil when the tree was still there in 1993 - I was only six at the time, but I can still faintly remember looking up the hill.

Off topic, but I didn't know that! :shocked: Was it vandalism? And atleast you got to see it, Axver, no matter how young you were.

ylimeU2 said:

Off topic, but I didn't know that! :shocked: Was it vandalism? And atleast you got to see it, Axver, no matter how young you were.

It happened when I was young - either 1994 or 1996, I'm not 100% which year - but what I remember, it was a Maori 'protesting' over some land rights issue. All he did was made the issue worse and looked like an absolute moron. He didn't actually cut the tree down, but the Auckland council destroyed it a few years later because it was dying and there was no way they could save it. They sure put lots of effort into trying to keep it alive, though. One thing it proves is that NZ is really a 'quiet' country because this was essentially a terrorist attack for us. It still angers me - how dare some absolute prick chop down a national icon.

Also, I never saw this, but from what I hear, Bono sent some fax ripping the 'protestor' to shreds, and it was read to the 'protestor' on national TV. Good on Bono, I say.

Thanks for the info. It's such a shame that someone would destroy something like that. I'm all for the right to protest, but that is taking it too far.

THANK YOU, Bono's American Wife, for the GREAT link for more info on Greg Carrol. The pics of Greg Carroll were WONDERFUL ! :yes:

And thank you, Axver, for your input on One Tree Hill.:wink:

I would not agree with the destruction of this ancient Maori spiritual symbol.

But the historical discrimination against the Maori of New Zealand and the Aboriginal People of Australia is an issue that I hope the modern governments of these countries are dealing with more seriously than in the past.

THANK YOU, PLEBA, FOR HELPING TO REMEMBER A DEAR FRIEND AND A GREAT INSPIRATION TO U2 - GREG CARROLL. :up: :hug: :love:

My grandmother was buried the same day as Greg :sad: There was one tree on a hill in view from the cemetary, and I remember staring at it in the rain crying that day. When JT came out and I heard One Tree Hill, that was the first thing I thought of. When I read the lyrics sheet and saw it was about a funeral the same day, month and year as my grandmother's, (considering the international date line) it was a touching but eerily ironic feeling.

Thank you, hotpepper, for the sincere words.:up:

I guess I just didn't want that day to pass without some kind of PLEBA remembrance - and I think everyone here did a GREAT thing to help keep alive the spirit of Greg Carroll and his significance in the lives of U2, especially Bono (the person I normally ascribe the :angel: for - ;) ).

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY! :bono: :love:

The tree was cut down because maori viewed it as a symbol of english colonization. THe tree was not native to New Zealand, it was brought by the english colonizers. THe tree was planted by the english and the hill was named by them as well. The NZ government has recognized that one tree hill is offensive to Maori, and is in the process of planting native trees as well as renaming the hill.

KUDOS to you, Marie Clare, for clarifying things for us about the One Tree Hill - I had heard a slightly different story, but yours makes sense. :wink:

I think the important thing is for us to be aware of and sensitive to the historic struggles of the aboriginal people of the South Pacific islands for equal treatment and the retention of their cultural identities. :yes:

But I agree - it wasn't the tree's fault. I LOVE TREES.... and BONO for writing that BEAUTIFUL song! :up::bono: :hug: :love:

Marie Clare said:
The tree was cut down because maori viewed it as a symbol of english colonization. THe tree was not native to New Zealand, it was brought by the english colonizers. THe tree was planted by the english and the hill was named by them as well. The NZ government has recognized that one tree hill is offensive to Maori, and is in the process of planting native trees as well as renaming the hill.

Um ... what? I've never heard that in my life, and I'm a New Zealander through and through. Almost all New Zealanders, including the Maori, were incensed that a national icon had been chopped down, and the guy who did it was hardly standing up for any cause. He was a lunatic and no-one supported his actions. Since when was One Tree Hill offensive to Maoris? I truly have not heard that and I don't believe it.

Last edited:
Axver, that's what I was thinking too!

But since I'm not a New Zealander, I didn't want to "take sides"

I think the important thing in this thread is really to remember Greg Carroll and the very proud and ancient People he came from - the Maori! ;)

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :love: :angel: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom