One of Edge's children unwell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love to u2granny, stars, Lost At Moon, Edgette and everyone else who is posting their sincerest thought, hopes and wishes for Edge and his family.

All we can do is to pray that this issue resolves itself successfully.:up:

But it does show all of us again, if any of us forgets from time to time that U2 is composed of four real people who can and will encounter some of the same real problems that we all experience.

Hopefully, this painful episode will help us to appreciate U2 even more. :wink:

:( :sad: :sigh:

I shall keep on sending my good thoughts and vibes their way, though a little part of me still wants to believe that this is not true...

Oh god, I can't believe it. It's so sad:sad:
I really have to cry. That should never happen to anybody of us.
Maybe it's just a rumour,but if not.....My prayers are with them.
Love and hope to Edge and Morleigh.

I find something very infuriating about the way the media have approached this. It seems very disrespectful - no parent wants to see their child's illness printed in HUGE LETTERS in a tabloid newspaper.

Seeing those pictures made me cry, too. My hopes that it isn't true are slowly dwindling with every passing day.

:hug: to Jamila and everyone here on PLEBA.

My thoughts and prayers are with Edge and his family at this time.

beau2ifulday said:
I find something very infuriating about the way the media have approached this. It seems very disrespectful - no parent wants to see their child's illness printed in HUGE LETTERS in a tabloid newspaper.

And you can really tell its a tabloid because they can't even spell the disease correctly, (at least that not how it's spelled here.)

ramblin rose said:

And you can really tell its a tabloid because they can't even spell the disease correctly, (at least that not how it's spelled here.)

Leukaemia? The spelling is correct. Maybe the word is spelt differently in USA English but this newspaper is reported to be Irish.

Last edited:
hmm.. I can't believe papers would disrespect the Edge and his family like that..part of me still believes it's a rumour, but part of me thinks that the papers cant just totally make up something like this out of nowhere, ya know? But then again why would u2.com send out this email saying how the announcement is coming shortly if it was true? I don't know what to believe anymore.
I'm still hoping that it's not true but all my prayers are with Edge and his family.

But what papers are these scans taken from? If it was the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Irish Times, BBC or even Hot Press that was reporting this story and had recent pictures with it (not eight-year-old paparazzi snaps) and a statement from a named person of good standing (not "unnamed sources close to the family"), then I would really believe this. Tabloid get things wrong all the time, in the US Star was reporting that Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt were stronger than ever just as they were announcing their separation. I just don't think we should take it as 100 percent fact that Sian is in fact gravely ill just because these rags are reporting it.

Sent this to the news desk, but am freaking out and thus had to share. This was sent on to me by someone I have been emailing with at U2.com

new.pressgazette.co.uk/?t=article&l=paper_in_legal_clash

Paper in legal clash with U2

Published: Friday, January 14, 2005

The Sunday World is due to face U2's lawyers next week to explain why it published details about a seriously ill relative of a band member.

The rock group injuncted the paper after its first edition to stop it repeating details in subsequent editions last weekend.

A court hearing next Monday will be the first time the Republic of Ireland's journalists' exemption from prosecution under the country's Data Protection Act 2003 will be challenged.

And it could even lead to the implementation of a statutory code of conduct for journalists in the Republic of Ireland.

The rock group's lawyers took action after the Dublin-based tabloid identified the relative and a condition they suffer from.

The story was not followed up in the Irish papers the following Monday after newsdesks were notified of the injunction granted against the Sunday World in the early hours of Sunday morning.

It is not known if the paper intends to contest the injunction - which effectively forbids it from again naming the relative or discussing their illness.

Despite knowing about the story, London-based titles - including The Sun , Daily Mail and News of the World - declined to publish it.

However, the Dublin-based Irish Daily Star reported aspects of the story last Friday. But they did not name the relative or the nature of their illness.

Now, if this injuction had been filed, why were they able to publish the really huge story this Sunday? And this makes it seem as if the published story is true, doesn't it?? :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Miroslava said:
Sent this to the news desk, but am freaking out and thus had to share. This was sent on to me by someone I have been emailing with at U2.com

The Sunday World is due to face U2's lawyers next week to explain why it published details about a seriously ill relative of a band member.

The rock group injuncted the paper after its first edition to stop it repeating details in subsequent editions last weekend.

A court hearing next Monday will be the first time the Republic of Ireland's journalists' exemption from prosecution under the country's Data Protection Act 2003 will be challenged.

And it could even lead to the implementation of a statutory code of conduct for journalists in the Republic of Ireland.

The rock group's lawyers took action after the Dublin-based tabloid identified the relative and a condition they suffer from.

The story was not followed up in the Irish papers the following Monday after newsdesks were notified of the injunction granted against the Sunday World in the early hours of Sunday morning.

It is not known if the paper intends to contest the injunction - which effectively forbids it from again naming the relative or discussing their illness.

Despite knowing about the story, London-based titles - including The Sun , Daily Mail and News of the World - declined to publish it.

However, the Dublin-based Irish Daily Star reported aspects of the story last Friday. But they did not name the relative or the nature of their illness.

Now, if this injuction had been filed, why were they able to publish the really huge story this Sunday? And this makes it seem as if the published story is true, doesn't it?? :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Oh no! :sad:

I agree with you, Miroslava. That reads to me like the injunction was filed because the papers reported details -- not because they reported the mere fact of the illness. So it sounds as if the rumors are indeed true.

Poor Edge. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Miroslava said:

I think they were able to publish because the injunction was only granted "in the early hours of Sunday morning", after this Sunday paper had been printed and sent out.
And yes, it does sound as if the details are true.:( :sad: Let's hope we're wrong!

beli said:
More than anything this indicates to me that the people involved don't want this issue discussed.

peace.

I agree, Beli. But if U2 themselves had issued a very brief statement days ago, this tabloid awfulness might not have happened. People would have been more inclined to respect their privacy, rather than go digging for the story. Human nature can be an ugly thing.

Back
Top Bottom