One of Edge's children unwell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not going to believe anything, unless it is confirmed on the U2 website or the band releases a statement. I will be keeping the Edge, his family and the others in the band in my prayers. However long it takes U2 to get everything straightened out is fine by me, and I believe everyone else as well. There is something that has caused a tour postponement and if it were because of an ill child, I would be very upset if they toured at all. Family is first no matter what.

If it IS published in a tabloid magazine such as Star, Enquirer, People or US, I'd like to see it.
Those tabloids are usually on the spot when reporting "rumours".
I will not believe it from just forum speculation.

If it is a rumor, it's terrible and heartless to the family. I've already seen 2 different childrens' names mentioned, they both can't be right. How cruel for the family :sad:

U2Kitten said:
If it is a rumor, it's terrible and heartless to the family. I've already seen 2 different childrens' names mentioned, they both can't be right. How cruel for the family :sad:

Two? I've heard 3! So far it's been Hollie because of Original of the Species. Yesterday it was Sian, and now today it's Levi. :sigh: How awful.

:shifty: nice avatar by the way! Go Vikes!

I heard Hollie and Sian too, now Levi? Oh this is awful. Someone is really messing with us- and them :( Are we even certain it's a child? The first thing I thought when they said family was a parent, both Edge's parents are still alive, but surely getting on in years.

Everything is rumor at this point. Hot Press confirmed with that it is one of Edge's family members who is sick but there has been no official confirmation from the band/PM about any of this.

I know it's really none of our business, but a simple official statement would stop a lot of the rumors and speculations. :shrug: The tabloid business is a messy place.

This whole situation is sad. :sad:

When I heard the news about the "family illness" I thought it might be a parent as they are getting on in years. While it's very true that this is basically none of our business a bit of clarification might stop the rumors. It seems like the rumors themselves might be really devastating. I don't know, I'm not rich and famous, I don't know what it's like to have rumors about you going around all over the planet. This is really sad whoever it is who is ill.

Dismantled said:
what if it's Edge himself:sad:

I didn't think of that and I really don't want to. :no:

But, considering they're confirmed to be playing the Brit Awards next month I doubt it is.

Edgette said:
But, considering they're confirmed to be playing the Brit Awards next month I doubt it is.

I know that everyone seems to be saying that they're confirmed to be playing at this award show, but I found it very strange that today u2.com posted a new article about this award show and any mention of U2 performing was strikingly absent.

Also if you go to Brit Awards website they are also not listed as performers.

Where/Who exactly has confirmed that they'll be playing here?

Edgette said:

I didn't think of that and I really don't want to. :no:

yeah I didn't either until I wrote it:sad: Its probably not true but its scary to think that anyone of them could get sick or killed just like normal people.....that is so scary to think about.....

There are many articles talking about U2 playing with Bob Geldof at the Brits. The U2.com article may not have mentioned it because it could have come from somewhere else (meaning they didn't write it). The LA Times is also saying U2 is still going to play at the Grammys next month.

dsmith2904 said:
There are many articles talking about U2 playing with Bob Geldof at the Brits. The U2.com article may not have mentioned it because it could have come from somewhere else (meaning they didn't write it). The LA Times is also saying U2 is still going to play at the Grammys next month.

I guess I just find it curious that on the http://brits.co.uk/ which is a pretty extensive site on the show there is absolutely no mention of U2, other than the nominations, while it specifically lists who the performers are.

God knows I hope they'll be there, I'm just not as sure as everyone seems to be.:shrug:

I

I'm not really worried that it's Edge himself. He has been out and about, doing videos, interviews, everything. If *he* were ill the tour would be off. It's obviously a member of his family. That's bad enough. I cannot imagine having a life like his and having to put up with an illness in the family, just as it was so hard on Bono doing the Elevation tour with his father dying and, during the first part of the tour his wife being pregnant as well. My goodness, these guys are strong. But they're human beings with alot of compassion and they are strongly attached to their loved ones. It's hard, and they are in my prayers.

Last edited:
Since when were the Grammys confirmed in the first place? I never read on an official site (Grammys/U2/wherever) that they were going to perform/appear at the Grammys this year.

What terrible news. The tour can be posted for sure. Edge's family needs him now and he needs them. The tour is nothing compared to the health of a child. We all have to pray for a full recovery for Sian.

I recall an article about the recording of "Original of the Species" and it made me wonder, Edge said that he cried when Bono sang it and I wondered why it was such an emotional song???
Does anyone else recall this article as well?
Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

I remember hearing that and reading it. I always thought he was touched by the sentiment that Bono wrote it for Hollie. I guess she was the original of all the U2 kids that is. That's always how I took it.

That original line, Ive always thought that to mean - you are special, you are the first one of your kind, there will never be another you, be proud, - etc. ie trying to combat some of the negativity that is hormonally created during puberty.

Ive never thought about it meaning - youre special, youre the first U2 baby. Why would being the first U2 baby be special?

beli said:
That original line, Ive always thought that to mean - you are special, you are the first one of your kind, there will never be another you, be proud, - etc. ie trying to combat some of the negativity that is hormonally created during puberty.

Ive never thought about it meaning - youre special, youre the first U2 baby. Why would being the first U2 baby be special?

The first U2 baby was when they started this phase of their family life that they're still in--raising children of their own. It wasn't long before that that *they'd* been the kids that were being raised. It could be that, Bono's lyrics are always pretty open to different interpretations.

I always thought of it like.... she was/is the first one to experience all the new things in life, how hard it is or how good it might be to be one of their children. Just my feeling about the song.

I can see Im in the minority. lol. I was just remembering my own troubled adolescence - the distorted body image, not having a place in society, being neither a child nor an adult and all the (lack of) respect issues that goes along with it.

Thats my take on the song anyway. I guess we all project what we want to hear in a song.

beli said:
I can see Im in the minority. lol. I was just remembering my own troubled adolescence - the distorted body image, not having a place in society, being neither a child nor an adult and all the (lack of) respect issues that goes along with it.

Thats my take on the song anyway. I guess we all project what we want to hear in a song.

Actually, in Universal Music Deutschland's HTDAAB press release, Bono specifically described OOTS as being "about seeing some people who are ashamed of their bodies, in particular teenagers with eating disorders, not feeling comfortable with themselves and their sexuality." So it would seem that, far from being in the 'minority' with your interpretation, you are actually closest to Bono's own intentions.

BTW, the 'original of the species' phrase is one Bono's been throwing around at least since Achtung Baby. One of the tag lines he was using ad nauseum in interviews at that time was: "We should like songs because they ARE great--not because they REMIND us of something great--we need to keep asking ourselves: Is this an original of the species?" At the time, he was mostly referring to the characterless 'retro' music then dominating the US charts; clearly, he's using it in a slightly different way here, but the general idea of remaining true to yourself and--again, just like you said--proud of your uniqueness is recognizably the same.

My prayers are with the Edge and Morleigh.

:hug:

U2 tours can be postponed, material objects can be replaced, but a life cannot.

If any of the guys are reading this, we'll wait for you as long as we have to, but we prefer that you spend much needed time with your family, who need you more than we do.

Wow, thanks for that Yolland. Thats interesting. I hadnt heard most of that, especially the Achtung Baby stuff. I was just about to start a thread about the song, or go search for an old thread. I never read the threads at the time because I didnt download the songs. I waited until the album was released so I missed all the banter. I should go search for it now.

Thanks again.

Oh, and in case I havent said it before, I do wish whomever is unwell an untroubled, speedy recovery.

beli said:

Makes great sense to me.

Edge talking about OOTS from a recent Q interview:

The Edge: "The last time I cried was listening to that song. It was a song Bono started on the last record about my daughter Hollie. He's her godfather. The lyric became more universal. About being young and full of doubt about yourself. He probably won't agree, but I think it has connotations for Bono, looking back to when he was 20."

Back
Top Bottom