On the rising tide Chapter 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
**Disclaimer – Though inspired in part by people who exist in reality, this story is not meant to represent them in any literal way. No offense is meant to anyone who resembles in any way any of the characters in the story.

Chapter 25

Colleen excused herself as Garvin was wishing the last of the guests farewell, claiming a terrible headache had overtaken her. She let her maid help her disrobe but then released her without requiring her usual nightly duties. She could manage the gas lights and the fire well enough herself, as well as the hot water bottle for her feet.

Her hands were trembling as she slipped her thick, flannel nightdress off over her head and she slid into a more delicate silk gown. Garvin had asked her to wear it for him more than once, but as yet she had not. Her duty as his wife was unpleasant enough, she had no urge to prolong it or encourage it.

He was so very different from Bono, she could hardly call them both men. They were not the same species, as far as her heart was concerned. Garvin was tall and awkward, his shoulders, hips, knees and chest bulging out like thick knots on a slender tree. He had thin patches of blonde hair spread unevenly on his chest, and a hideous moustache which tickled and scratched at her face when he kissed her.

His ears stuck out like handles on a jug, and his chin was small and drawn back, like a dog draws back it’s ears when it senses it is about to be scolded. His hair was kept short, though not as short as Adam’s, and it was course under her fingers. She would be deliriously happy if she knew she would never be forced to touch him again.

Of course, that was far from the reality. They were married, and he was expected to produce an heir. Or rather, he was expected to cause her to produce an heir. On their wedding night, Colleen had retreated inside herself, silently willing him to be done with her quickly. Since that night, when he had come to call, she had started thinking of other things to pass the time.

She thought about her childhood, wondered what it might have been like if she’d been born into her aunt’s house rather than her own. Wondered if she would have had the chance to marry for love. She wondered if she might’ve met Bono under different circumstances. If she had, would they still have felt so strongly for one another? It hadn’t taken much to convince her they would have.

She closed her eyes and remembered the fire in his kiss, the way his touch burned her skin and set her entire being aflame. Her body felt a whisper of excitement at the memory, and to her amazement, the violation Garvin was perpetrating upon her body was not quite so painful. She allowed her mind to wander, what would it have been like? If she had given in to Bono’s requests.

She was convinced it would not have been the same. Maybe, even, it could have been quite nice. Something to be cherished, rather than feared and avoided.

She drew in a shaky breath and scolded herself now. It didn’t matter, what she had realized in the past month. She was not allowed to change her mind. Here she was, dressing for a man who was not her husband, hoping he would come to her. It was a sin, what she wanted. Still, when she heard the soft sigh of the door, a jolt of electricity slipped through her body and made her gasp in anticipation.

She turned, her long brown hair not moving as quickly and falling in her face. She brushed it aside and smiled instinctively as she saw him. Her heart was pounding, her palms began to sweat, and her chest hurt from her short, shallow breathing. It was really him. He’d already shed the red jacket, now only in his white shirt sleeves and pants.

The make-up had mostly been washed from his face, though there were two small white patches. One along the strong line of his jaw and the other at his temple. She stepped forward and reached out to wipe it away gently with her thumb, and he moaned sweetly at the touch of her hand.

Without a word, his mouth was covering hers, all heat and smooth, wet motion. His thick hands were stroking her back, and sliding up into her hair. She did not hesitate to touch him, either. There was no point, now. He knew how she felt, and there was no sense trying to deny it any longer. She needed him, like air or water.

She met his kiss with more than simple willingness, but with a desire that surprised and nearly overwhelmed him. He moaned against her mouth, scooping her up into his arms and stumbling to the bed, onto which they tumbled with no grace whatsoever. Colleen let her head fall back as the laughter escaped her throat, and she felt him smile as he kissed her neck gently.

They had given themselves up completely, and there was no going back.

“I don’t want to leave you here.” He told her later, as he dressed himself.

“I know. I want to go with you. We both know it isn’t possible.” She sighed. As much as she wished he never had to leave, she wondered if it wouldn’t be better if he left quickly. Drawing out their goodbye was painful. “But you’ll be back, won’t you?” she asked, rolling over onto her side and drawing the sheets up over her breasts.

“Of course.” He assured her, sitting down on the bed, fully dressed now. “The devil himself could not bar the way.”

“And you’ll be nearby. We can see each other frequently.” She said, her voice growing strained as tears threatened.

“As often as possible.” He told her, kissing her softly, his hand stroking her hair as he rose to leave. “I love you.” He told her as he put the Macphisto mask on once more and prepared to slip out into the night.

“I love you, Bono.” She replied softly as the shadows swallowed him. She heard the door sigh and then shut, and all she could do was pray he could leave without encountering her husband or any of his most loyal servants.

It had not taken long for Colleen to put her offer into action. She informed her husband the very next day that she wanted to hire her own maid, and that she had already extended the offer to Fiona and her sister. It would be rude to tell them now that they weren’t welcome.

He had not been happy, but considering the fact that she had really made very few requests before that point, he acquiesced without much complaint. So Fiona and Emily were welcomed as guests in the household, with Molly in the role of maid and governess. Carra had not been as eager to fall into the role of maid to Colleen.

She had argued and fought with everything she had in her, but Larry’s stubbornness had won out in the end. He would not have her endangering their baby by living aboard the ship. Between the bitter cold and the danger of an encounter with another ship, it was the last place he wanted her to be.

Garvin was away at his post and with her friends in the home alongside of her, Colleen grew comfortable in her role as lady of the manor. Bono was sneaked in frequently, by either Carra or Molly. As the winter months passed, he took to the habit of climbing the trellis onto Colleens balcony and slipping into her room directly.

They made use of the changes Edge had designed for the ship, stealing the supplies frequently from the Audley’s own stables or ‘borrowing’ their horses as a means of travel into the city where they could purchase the supplies with what little money they had.

It was on one such trip that the group got their first taste of liberating money and goods from the British.
They had been told by every blacksmith in the city that they could not have the work done which they needed for less than twice the money they had. They were so very close to having the ship ready to sail, and yet their goal was blocked.

Carra had been the one to step into action, though Larry had only barely agreed to take her along with them on the ride. She had argued that if he didn’t let her ride with them, she would still take a horse from the stable and ride. Did he want her to ride alone, or with them? He hadn’t liked her bullying, but eventually agreed that she would be better off with them.

It was nearly spring, the earliest of the spring flowers peaking up from the muddy ground. The sky was brilliantly blue, though the air was still crisp and damp. It was nearing the evening, and though they were reluctant to return to the ship empty handed, it appeared as if that were their only option.

“Do you know how many times, on the way to the market or to Church, we have been hailed by British soldiers?” She said as they began to make their way out of Belfast, toward the Audley estate. “And to be sure, if I weren’t travelling with Colleen, they’d have taken whatever they wanted from me. I’ve seen them robbing others on the road blind in the name of the crown.”

“Which is one of the reasons I hate you travelling without her, these days.” Larry told her from where he was seated behind her on the horse. One hand held the reigns loosely, the other hand slid down over her hard, round belly. He felt the baby kick in either agreement or argument and smiled broadly. The thought of any man harming either Carra or his child was intolerable.

He could hardly stand to hear what she suggested next, though the others all agreed that it was a sound plan. Even her father, and Larry knew how Paul cherished his daughter. So he had let the logical side of himself win out over the possessive love which he knew tended to be unreasonable.

They found their hiding place along the road, Larry, Paul, Bono and Edge, while Carra had acted as bait. She sat on a large boulder and waited until two British soldiers approached. When they drew close enough, she stood and began walking away from them, limping awkwardly.

She pretended to ignore them the first time they hailed her, only picking up her pace slightly. One of the soldiers pushed his horse to a trot until he had passed her, drawing up and blocking her escape as the second soldier closed in.

Edge rested a hand on Larry’s shoulder to keep him from rushing to her aid and ruining their plan.

The soldiers dismounted and asked Carra what her business was, alone on the road this time of day. The sky had become a broad, red stain hovering over them ominously as the sun lowered on the horizon.
She begged them to allow her to pass, but they were insistent that she must be up to no good.

“I bet she isn’t even pregnant, under that dress.” One of the soldiers told the other.

“You know, I suspect you’re right. She’s probably smuggling something under there. Thinking we’d never be the wiser. If we wanted to check, she’d beg for modesty.” He continued, reaching up to grab Carra by the hair, catching her wrists when she swung at him. “But she wasn’t very modest when she made the child, was she? If she’s with child at all.” He reasoned, the other soldier agreeing and moving to rip the buttons off her bodice.

Carra managed to kick the soldier holding her by the hair, catching him squarely between the legs and freeing herself. The other soldier was ready for her escape and caught her. He was trying to wrestle her to the ground when he felt a boot against the small of his back, shoving him forcefully to the ground. Paul caught Carra before she was dragged down with the soldier.

“Are you alright, Lass?” He asked, his eyes full of concern for his daughter.

“I’m fine, Da.” She told him, turning to spit on the soldier who lay face down in the dirt. “I just wish I’d have been armed so I could’ve left me mark on this scum.”

“You’ll not get away with this!” The first soldier threatened, trying to scurry back to his horse. Edge and Bono barred the way, Edge twitching a finger at the man as one would at a naughty little boy caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

“You’ll get the noose, that’s what they’ll get!” the other soldier barked as he rolled over onto his back, wiping the mud from his face. He reached for his pistol, but drew up short when the tip of Larry’s sword pressed against his nose.

“You have been bested. You are outnumbered. I suggest you stand and deliver, sir.” He told the man, part of him wishing he would fight.

“Bloody highwaymen.” The soldier muttered as he emptied his own pockets and told his companion to do so as well. Once Paul held the men’s purses, they collected their swords and pistols and then bound their hands together, behind their backs.

“Why, we’re not robbers.” Bono told them cheerily. “We’re just collecting taxes on behalf of the Irish.” He grinned when they scowled at him, and as the others mounted their horses he paused a second longer, cocking his head to one side and looking at them curiously.

“We got what we needed, c’mon now!” Larry told him, but Bono knelt to dip his finger in the mud and trace a message onto one of the soldiers forehead. He grinned and nodded, pleased with his handiwork.

“There. Now we’re ready.” He said, mounting his horse, to which the soldiers horses were now tied.

“U2?” Larry said, rolling his eyes when he saw the bizarre message on the soldiers face.

“They’ll know us sooner than we’d hoped.” Bono told him with a wink as he spurred his horse on, leaving the others to follow him back into the city. Larry informed Paul that he would meet back up with them later, he wanted Carra to be home and safe as soon as possible.

They left the soldiers tied up, gagged and blindfolded on the side of the road as the last light of day faded into a moonless night. In his mind’s eye, Larry could still see that U2 long after the soldiers were out of his sight. If it was notoriety they were looking for, they would soon have it.

There is an extended version of the first scene, if you're interested. If you're on the list, check your mailboxes. If you want it and haven't got itlet me know

Eee. Is this over yet? :laugh: I just stopped reading back when you said "it's gonna get dark" and I'm waiting ever so patiently for you to finish the story so I can read the rest of it without wallowing in angst until new chapters!

:shifty: Okay. I'm not patient at all. FINISH THE STORY!!! :hyper:

Elsie said:
Eee. Is this over yet? :laugh: I just stopped reading back when you said "it's gonna get dark" and I'm waiting ever so patiently for you to finish the story so I can read the rest of it without wallowing in angst until new chapters!

:shifty: Okay. I'm not patient at all. FINISH THE STORY!!! :hyper:

:lol: Sorry, there are a FEW more chapters before the end :wink:

you should get this published. well, maybe not as a U2 thing (legal stuff n all), but change it around as a non-u2 thing. its too damn good!

Back
Top Bottom