On the rising tide Chapter 21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
**Disclaimer – Though inspired in part by people who exist in reality, this story is not meant to represent them in any literal way. No offense is meant to anyone who resembles in any way any of the characters in the story.

On the rising tide Chapter 21

Edge stood outside the door to the great hall and took a deep breath to steady his nerves. He’d been waiting for this event for so many years it felt like his whole life. It wasn’t exactly as he had imagined, but little was in life, it seemed. He took the door handle in hand and swung the massive door inward, his eyes widening as the scene unfolded before him.

A wide garland of fragrant hothouse flowers ran the length of all four walls, with candles at each gathering point every three or four feet. The seats were each adorned with flowers as well, an arbor covered in them; brilliant pinks and soft sharp whites against lush greenery making the room feel more like an island paradise than a stone hall in Ireland.

The room glowed from hundreds of candles burning, all the oil lamps all turned down low to create the rich, low light. There was a red carpet from the door where he was entering which led between the rows of seats to the arbor, where two exquisite candelabras burned to illuminate the arbor where the Priest already stood in waiting.

“There’s the man of the hour.” Adam declared, hurrying across the room to embrace his friend in greeting. “You clean up well, Edge! This is a pleasant surprise.” He teased gently, and Edge smiled self consciously. He wore a charcoal color waistcoat and trousers, an elegant design embroidered in golden colored silk thread on the lapel. For once, he wore no hat at all. His long brown hair, though receding noticeably, was tied back in a handsome queue.

“Adam, you’ve done far too much.” He said, still overwhelmed by the warmth and beauty of the room.

“Nonsense. This would not even be considered a party by my family.” He replied dismissively as he guided Edge down the aisle to the arbor. From here he could see that one end of the hall had several tables prepared, these also decorated lavishly. To his left a small stage sat with several instruments in and out of cases which were a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

“You didn’t hire musicians, did you?” He asked, frowning at Adam.

“Of course not. All of the finest musicians in Ireland were already invited as guests.” Adam replied, smiling in that way which made it hard to tell if he was being sincere or sarcastic. Edge decided to take the comment as a compliment, considering the circumstances.

The small group of people who had been invited to be witness to the wedding was arriving, and Adam moved from person to person, making sure everyone was comfortable and happy. The perfect host, he handed out crystal flutes of champagne to people who could never afford the glasses or the champagne inside them.

Larry entered and looked around the room, appearing for all those who could see him as if he were a skittish animal, looking for a way out. He met Edge’s gaze and smiled in relief, making a beeline toward him through the other guests. After a polite ‘hello’, they stood vigil together, both nervous for their own reasons as the minutes ticked by.

Larry felt rather out of place amongst a group of people, dressed in their best clothes and making polite, shallow conversation. He preferred people who only spoke when they really had something important to say, for the most part. He was standing, with his hands folded behind his back, staring down at his shoes as if fascinated by them, when he heard Edge chuckle in shock and disbelief. He glanced up first at Edge and then looked to see what had the man staring, his mouth literally hanging open.

It took him a moment to understand what he was seeing. At first he was surprised that Edge would so openly stare at a woman while waiting at the alter for his bride. Before he could ask who she was, she turned slightly and he could see her profile. His heart seemed to jump up in his throat and lodge there.

Without a word to Edge he was moving, hurrying away from his friend and toward this surreal vision. Catching his approach in her peripheral vision, she turned to greet him with a cool, polite smile.

“What the bloody hell are you wearing?” Larry wondered aloud, his bewilderment clear in the expression on his face. Carra rolled her eyes at him and sighed dramatically, looking a bit more like the woman he knew so well. Larry snorted with laughter, one hand covering his mouth to muffle his amusement, but his eyes continued to move up and down the length of her in wonder.

The emerald green silk was the perfect color for her, making her pale skin look like porcelain and her complimenting the bold shade of her red hair. Her eyes were, if possible, even more green than he remembered them, and had she painted her face? Her lips formed the most perfect little bow, even as she scowled at his laughter.

“I was told by our host that I would be turned away from the festivities if I was not dressed appropriately.” She told Larry with a huff, turning on her heel and intending to march away from him. Instead, she twisted her ankle thanks to the ridiculous design of the sorts of shoes one had to wear with a gown, and toppled straight back into Larry’s arms.

Larry was shaking with laughter now, one hand under each of Carra’s arms as he helped her back onto her own two feet. She pulled away from his touch as if disgusted by it, and he held his hand up in silent surrender.

“I’m not laughing at you…” He started, his voice still thick with amusement.

“The fuck you’re not.” She mumbled, her cheeks flushing a deep red as her temper flared.

“That’s the girl I know.” He said, hiding his smile behind one of his slender hands again, rubbing his nose as if it itched. Carra did not doubt that it would, with all the flowers which surrounded the room. She could not recall having seen so many flowers gathered in one place in her entire life. “You look…”

“Ridiculous, I know. You don’t have to rub it in quite so hard.” She told him, her head drooping forward like a wilted flower, her red curls bobbing up and down before her eyes.

“I was going to say that you look quite beautiful.” Larry told her, his voice pinched and uncomfortable sounding. Carra looked up at him, arching an eyebrow in suspicion. “and a bit ridiculous.” He agreed with a boyish grin that she could not help but return.

“I seriously do not know how most women wear this shite all the fecking time.” She told him conspiratorially. Larry had some thoughts about why they would wear it, though he opted not to share them with her then and there. He’d never seen her look quite as tempting as she did right then, and the thought of a few stolen moments alone with her made his own skin flush hot.

“So, you’ve been doing well? I mean, since…” He started to ask, his voice trailing off as he realized he had no idea how to word the rest of the question.

“I’m fine.” She told him softly, and his heart fell. What had he expected, he wondered to himself. Had he really thought she would burst into tears and beg him to take her back? To tell him she was miserable without him? It would be easier, he thought, than having to tell her that he felt that way. His pride stood firmly between them, barring any chance at reconciliation on those terms.

The awkward silence seemed to spread outward throughout the room in a circle, with the deepest silence surrounding them and touching everyone else. Finally the door opened once more and Bono and Gavin hurried in, indicating that everyone should be seated. Larry and Carra were grateful for the distraction, finding their seats beside Adam and Fiona.

Bono moved to the front of the room and embraced Edge, patting him heavily on the back and whispering something that made both men shake with barely restrained laughter. Then Bono moved to sit beside Carra, leaving Edge and the Priest alone at the front, staring expectantly at the door in anxious silence.

Gavin had moved to the stage and retrieved from one of the cases a uillean pipe, which was a rather odd looking instrument to the eyes of most of the guests. Once he had seated himself and began to play, however, the sound which the odd instrument created immediately touched the hearts of each person in the room. It was a strange music, capable of seeming both utterly mournful and hauntingly lovely at the same time.

Bringing the pitch up and octave, Gavin started over with the same melody, and this time the door opened and Molly was guided down the aisle by her father. Everyone in the room stood to see her, not one person seemed capable of looking away. She was practically glowing, the enchantment of the room reflected in her lovely dress, the light yellow color of wildflowers in earliest spring. She carried a bouquet made up of the most lovely of the flowers that had been provided by the florist; even more beautiful than the ones on the walls.

The tiny white flowers that adorned her hair like a crown were as natural on her as if they had grown there, and her brown eyes sparkled with flecks of golden light. She smiled so hard that her cheeks dimpled, despite her attempt to remain composed, and anyone who could tear their eyes away from her long enough to look could see that Edge was smiling right back at her.

Carra felt the urge to reach out to Larry, despite her broken heart and battered pride. So strong was the urge that she couldn’t even think of fighting it; she simply reached out and took his hand in hers. She felt his flinch in surprise, heard the movement as he turned his head to look at her, but she kept her eyes on Molly and Edge.

She nearly burst into tears when she felt his arm relax and his fingers fold over her own, squeezing her hand gently as he turned back to the ceremony. Even as they were seated again, he held fast. When she had to release his hand at one point to scratch an itch on her opposite shoulder which simply would not wait, he waited for her to return her hand to her lap and reached out and took it in his again.

It was the simplest of gestures, but it meant more to her than if he had fallen at her feet, proclaiming his love and need in front of the entire congregation.

The dinner was exquisite, though that didn’t surprise anyone, after all the care Adam had taken in the rest of the preparations. Bono, of course, was eager to provide the entertainment. Bono gave Larry little choice in his participation, thrusting a bodrhan and cipín into his hands. Edge joined in as well, all of them adding their own talents at one time or another to the music. The celebration was full of all the love and life a wedding should be, and no less than the couple deserved.

They were wishing several of the guests farewell when they saw the soldier approaching.

Molly was the first to spot him, her startled gasp alerting Edge to her fear. She pointed up the road, where the bright red jacket of the soldier appeared from the darkness, like blood seeping from a hidden wound in the night itself.

“Go upstairs.” Edge told her, taking her firmly by the shoulders and forcing her to start moving to the staircase.

“No! Not without you!” She told him, her usually strong, stubborn eyes pleading and full of fear.

“I’ll be there soon, Molly. Go!” He urged her, kissing her softly and then resting his forehead against hers.

“Fiona, go with her.” Adam said, frowning as he watched the lone soldier draw nearer by the moment.

Molly and Fiona reluctantly mounted the stairs, remaining near the top to listen to the encounter. Though they had only known each other a short while, the two had immediately bonded. They had similar backgrounds, after all, both having grown up poor and Catholic in Dublin. They were not sure just what they would do if a fight broke out, but they knew that together they possessed an inner strength which would drive them to action.

“Don’t even think about it.” Carra told Larry without so much as glancing his way. She bent and lifted the hem of her skirts to reveal a dagger strapped to her lower leg, which she quickly unsheathed in preparation to do battle. Larry sighed and shook his head at the sight.

“I wouldn’t dream of it.” He quipped. “I’m looking forward to seeing you fight in that dress.” He added with a smirk.

Gavin let out a low whistle and nudged Larry on the shoulder, whispering to him conspiratorially.

“It takes a brave man to get that one with child.” He said, and Larry scowled at him in shock. “Has to make you admire the man what got her in this condition, that’s all I meant.” Gavin said, and Larry’s scowl deepened. “Bono swears it wasn’t him, and the more I get to know of her the more I believe it.”

“You’d best watch what you’re saying and who you’re saying it of, if you want to keep your tongue in your mouth.” Larry threatened, his hand resting threateningly on the hilt of his sword.

“I’m not… Bono said…” Gavin stammered, shocked at the reaction.

“Bono said what?” Bono asked, turning away from his vigil at the door.

“That Carra…” Gavin started, and Carra drew in a sharp breath, turning quickly to glower at Bono.

“What did Bono say?” She growled.

“Is it… Carra, is it true?” Larry asked, looking like a child who’d just been told that Saint Nicholas wasn’t real.

“I … not right now, alright?” She said, unable to look her lover in the eyes. This was not the way he should have heard that he was going to be a father.

“So, he’s the one?” Gavin asked Bono who slapped Gavin upside the head, only half playing.

“I think we have bigger issues at the moment.” Adam said, and Carra forced a smile at him, grateful for his attempt to change the focus of attention.

“It seems to only be one man.” Edge said, peeking out the door. “And we still aren’t certain of his goal. He may pass right by.”

“If only I had that sort of luck.” Bono murmured, though if the soldier did pass by, he suspected he might be in just as much danger from Carra and Larry.

“Carra, are you carrying my child?” Larry demanded in a sharp whisper as he pulled her aside.

“I did not mean for you to find out this way.” She told him with a nod.

“I think perhaps you did not mean for me to find out at all.”

“Don’t be absurd.” She told him, her attention still on the door behind him.

“Carra!” Larry snapped, grabbing her by the wrist and dragging her along behind him as he stomped up the stairs. Molly and Fiona fled into the nearest room when they heard them approaching.

“Let go of me!” Carra demanded, unable to wrestle free of his grasp. Larry caught her other wrist and squeezed until the dagger slipped from her hand.

“You have no place in battle when you are carrying my child.” He told her, and she stared up at him, jaw thrust out defiantly. “Carra, I’ve lost almost every woman I’ve ever loved. My mother, my little sister… I thought I had lost you as well. I know how you hate for me to tell you what to do, but please! If not for your own safety, for that of… our child! My God, Carra, a baby!” He said, his eyes welling with tears, shocking Carra into silence.

In all the years she’d known him, she’d never once seen him cry. He’d suffered loss and pain, she’d seen it with her own two eyes, but never had she seen his eyes turn so blue or seem so sad. She reached out gently to hold his face between her hands, and felt his grip loosen as his hands slid down her forearms.

“Larry…” she started, her mouth hanging open but no words forming. “Alright. Alright, love.” She told him, leaning in to brush a whisper of a kiss across his full mouth. She was trembling with shock and emotion as he took her in his arms and pulled her so close she could hardly draw breath. He buried his face against her neck, and she could feel his tears against her skin.

“I love you, Carra.” He told her, his lips against her ear now, his hands smoothing her hair, running up and down the length of her back. Carra had waited so long to hear the words that she could hardly believe it was true. She wrapped her arms around him and held fast to his warmth, her head resting against his shoulder.

“I love you, too.” She told him softly.

“I wish I’d known earlier.” Larry told her, wiping his eyes and nose with a handkerchief, one arm still holding her close.

“That I loved you? You should’ve known that for a long time now.” She told him playfully.

“That you were pregnant.” He said with a wistful smile. The more times he said it, the more real it became to him. “We could’ve gotten married today as well.”

“Married?” Carra asked, half laughing as she said the word.

“Of course.”

“Why do we have to get married?”

“We’re going to be a family, Carra, of course we’re going to get married…”

“I’m not about to promise God and the church that I’m going to honor and obey your every whim.” Carra told him, watching his blue eyes flash to silver again. He stared at her for a moment in open-mouthed shock. She was certain he was about to yell at her, to argue with her again when he did something she least expected. He smiled.

“You are the most obstinate woman.” He told her, leaning forward to kiss her softly.

“You wouldn’t have me any other way.” She replied with a grin, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him again.

“I have to go see what’s happening downstairs.” He told her between kisses. “I’ll be back soon, though. Don’t change out of that dress yet.” He told her with a wink as he turned and headed for the stairs. Carra let out a surprised chuckle, her heart feeling as if it had wings again.

Once it became clear that the soldier was, in fact, approaching the Clayton house, Adam ordered all of the others to stay back out of sight while he opened the door. No one was eager to do so, but if anyone could talk his way out of this situation, it would be Adam. He opened the door before the soldiers fist could make contact with the wood a second time, using the element of surprise to keep him at a disadvantage.

“Sebastion!” Adam cried out as soon as he saw the face of the young soldier, shocking all of the onlookers by gathering the man up into an embrace that lifted his feet clear off the ground. Both men were laughing when Adam put the soldier back on his own two feet, the soldier reaching up to straighten his hat and jacket self-consciously.

“I should have known!” The soldier said, stepping into the house and closing the door behind himself. “If anyone was going to be having a party here, it would be my wayward brother.”

“I’m not in London, at least.” Adam added, patting his brother on the back.

“I’ve heard rumors that you were, though, recently.” Sebastian said, his face and tone growing more serious. “Adam, tell me, is it true? Did you get married without consulting Father and Mother?”

“Is that why you’re here?” Adam asked, frowning at his younger brother and rolling a cigarette for each of them.

“I’ve been reassigned to Belfast city, actually. I need to report to duty in three days, but I suspected you might’ve come here so I decided to leave early and stop here on the way.”

“Well, you, believe it or not, are not your brothers keeper.” Adam replied sourly.

“Obviously, someone needs to watch over you.”

“I’m quite capable on my own. I’ve survived all these month since we parted company in London, haven’t I?”

“Yes, but how well is a matter yet to be determined.” Sebastion replied, taking in a long deep drag of smoke from the cigarette Adam had rolled him. “It looks as if you’ve been having some sort of ball?” he asked, strolling toward the grand hall.

“A wedding, as a matter of fact.”

“Yours?”

“No. I’ve been married for more than a month now.”

“I see. Mother will be disappointed, of course, that she didn’t get to host a big party. Father will be relieved you’re finally getting on with your responsibilities.”

“I don’t exactly see it that way.”

“Who on earth did you host a wedding for? What a shabby little display.” Sebastion asked, sniffing in disapproval as he looked into the great hall.

“A dear friend of mine.” Adam told his brother through clenched teeth.

“A friend who found it all to be quite grand.” Edge’s voice piped up as he approached from the sitting room, where he and the others had been concealed.

“I beg your pardon. I don’t believe we’ve met. Lieutenant Sebastian Clayton.”

“Dave Evans.” Edge replied, nodding curtly at the snobbish young man.

“Evans. Evans. I’m not familiar with the family name. Where are you from?”

“Right here in Dublin. Or, more accurately, on the north side of the city.”

“Ah.” Sebastian replied, looking down his nose at Edge.

“If you don’t mind, Sebastian, there are still some guests remaining. I should attend to them.” Adam said, moving to open the front door.

“Of course I don’t mind at all, dear brother. I’m quite exhausted from my travels. I’ll just retire for the night. I assume you are in the master suite?” He replied, starting for the stairs.

“Ah… no, actually. But I do have guests in there. I’ll help you find a room that isn’t occupied.” Adam replied, shooting a concerned glance at Edge as he followed Sebastian up the stairs, having to stop abruptly when they nearly collided with Larry.

“What the hell?” Larry wondered aloud, turning to Edge as they watched the brothers ascend the stairs. Edge did his best to summarize the situation. The fox had just made himself at home amongst the chickens.

oh my goodness! What a great chapter.

It made me laugh, it made me worry, it made me "aw"

I loved it! Can't wait for the next one!

Love this fanfic. Sad_Girl, you research everything so well and write amazing plotlines. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom