OMG I'm so nervous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheWho4Life

Rock n' Roll Doggie
On Monday, in speech class... I gotta give a speech... :lmao: of course but, I hate it! I don't wanna! We have to bring in a thing from our past, a thing from our present and a thing for our future... and omg I can't do it cause im so scared :no: I mean, I'm gonna of course but.... :scream: Anyway, I don't know what I'm gonna bring in from my past yet or for my future thing, but for my present thing, I'm bringin in my Who book that I bought from a garage sale this summer and it was 2 bucks and yea.
But for the things we bring in we have to tell like how they affected our lives or soemthin, I guess like tell the class stuff about them so they know more about us... I don't know. But I'm scared to take the book cause, well I'm always made fun of for likeing the music I like... and takin that book with me and showin it to my whole class is just scary, yea I'm affraid of what they'll think of me... but that's just cause I have to be up there in front of them all!
:help: :uhoh: :slant:

EDIT: Forgot to add that my face turns so red when when iI do these kinds of things... which makes everything even more worse!
:eek: <<<<<<<<it gets worse then that!

Last edited:
Studies have shown that more people actually have a greater fear of public speaking than they do of death. So at least you know you're not alone!
Try to be well-prepared for this by practicing in your room in front of a mirror, if you can. Wear something you'll feel cool and comfortable in, and remember that most of the people in your class will be freaking out as well, even if they don't show it.
I remember the first time I had to speak in front of the class, my knees were shaking so badly I could barely stand. But someone came up afterwards and said I looked so calm! I couldn't believe it.
What are you going to pick for the other two subjects, and how long do you have to speak?

Well... I don't know my other 2 things I'm gonna choose :slant: and that's kind of a problem right now but I will find somethin... hopfully! I only hae to speak for 2 minutes and I know it doesn't seem long, and it doesn't feel that long once you get up there, but still just the thought of having to stay up there for a certain amount of time is SCARY lol.

Did you know that some of the greatest performers ever have suffered badly from stage fright. Both Helen Hayes (a very great American theater actress) and Laurence Olivier (considered by many the greatest actor who ever lived) both sometimes had crippling stage fright. If you've never heard of those people, I know you've heard of this next person: Bono
Did you know that after the Pop tour, he actually said he didn't think he'd ever be able to go back on stage? It had gotten so bad he was vomiting in terror before the shows. Obviously, he overcame it.
Whenever I'm getting ready to go into a classroom, I always feel nervous. I think it's a good sign, really. It means you care about doing a good job. Just be prepared, and keep telling yourself it's only a few minutes, and you'll get through it fine. Good luck!!!:up:

Just remember that everyone else is just as nervous as you are! If someone has to give a speech after you they won't even be paying attention because they will be focusing in on their own nerves.

We have a weekly meeting at work and there's 15 of us in my department. We all yell out questions to each other when we're at our desks and I'm comfortable with everyone I work with. But when we're in that meeting and they go around the room asking for input, trust me, I'm ready to crawl under the table until my turn is over. :(

I had to give many speeches and presentations in college and I hated every single one of them. :slant:

Good luck! :hug:

oh my i never knew that about bono! what on earth is there for him to be terrified of??:( :huh: we love him!

i had to do speeches in 8th grade. i was freakin at first because it had to be 5 minutes on some physical ailment people suffer or some shite like that. i did shingles.....:reject:

Well... I found out my 2 other things I'm doin :D

For my past thing, I'm takin in a Colorado licence plate cause it's where I was born :) And for my future thing, I'm takin in my British flag cause I wanna visit britian sometime in my life :D

Do those sound corny to you guys:uhoh:

You know what, I always wondered why people are so nervous to get up in front of a class, I mean we all know we aren't gonna die or anything, and we know people aren't going to make rude comments, or at least I know that... I just odn't understand my self lol.

OH! Roger Daltrey had a real bad case of stage fright too :wink: he had to go see somebody or somethin and talk about it to get over it, but I doubt he just came out of there one day and wasn't scared to go on stage anymore lol. I'm sure he still is a little affraid lol hehe.

My daughter went to a performing arts school. She would literally make herself sick before a performance. Nerves are a natural reaction. Just be well prepared and you'll do fine. Arw9797 is right. Everyone else will be just as worked up as you.

Those sound like good choices, simple and straightforward, not abstract. They'll be easy to talk about.
That's an odd coincidence, that the frontmen of your two favourite bands suffer from stage fright. Cool! Maybe it's because they both put so much into their performances.

biff said:
Those sound like good choices, simple and straightforward, not abstract. They'll be easy to talk about.
That's an odd coincidence, that the frontmen of your two favourite bands suffer from stage fright. Cool! Maybe it's because they both put so much into their performances.

Do you think it could be cause they are up there with nothin but a mic? Probaby not, but the other member all have somethin kinda big in front of them, and if you have some type of guitar, you don't alawys have to be lookin at the audience... ya know? lol I'm just wierd lol.

Lindsay the more you do it, the easier it is! I hated my high school speech unit but now I don't even care. Last year I took a communications class and had to do a 20 minute group presentation and it turned out great! Then I did a 20 minute presentation on my own for a business presentation class and I did't care at all! It saved my grade. I was pretty nervous beforehand, but everyone else made stupid mistakes or missed the easiest things, like eye contact and speaking slowly. We had to grade everyone else and my classmates graded me way higher than I expected. So basically I started out hating speech and would be nervous for weeks beforehand, now I want presentations b/c the help my grades.

I know what you mean about them helpin grades... cause they do! Theya re like the easiest thing to do... unless you have to research a lot... but even then... they are still pretty easy most of the time lol... but hten if ya don't do them... it's just... BAD.
But, I'm barely nervous if I go up with a group.

Don't worry - "Every little thing is gonna be alright!" :wink:

...and I like your choises for things to talk about! :D:up:

TheWho4Life said:
Do you think it could be cause they are up there with nothin but a mic? Probaby not, but the other member all have somethin kinda big in front of them, and if you have some type of guitar, you don't alawys have to be lookin at the audience... ya know? lol I'm just wierd lol.

I don't think that's a wierd explanation - Brian May (<--- "Queen"-guitarist :bow: ) once said about his guitar: "It's my weapon and my shield to hide behind" :yes:

Merc said:
Don't worry - "Every little thing is gonna be alright!" :wink:

...and I like your choises for things to talk about! :D:up:

I don't think that's a wierd explanation - Brian May (<--- "Queen"-guitarist :bow: ) once said about his guitar: "It's my weapon and my shield to hide behind" :yes:
:D

verte76 said:
I couldn't stand my speech class. It was required for my major. :censored: :censored: I don't know how I did that, I just did.

Me too. What was your major? I had a double major. Communications and Political Science.

Hey lindsay i know what its like to do speeches infront of a class as does everyone else. You and i are the same age but here at my school i had to take speech my freshman year. It is nervwrecking and.....no matter how hard you try you can't get clam wether u show it or not....but, once ur up there no matter how shaky you are u go through it fine...i mean maybe u stutter or....maybe your face does get red but no one reaqly cares cuz like everyone said........every single person in that class room is going through the same exact thing you are. By the way.....haha i remember lindsay, when u and i saw that thing about roger. Awww roger.....lol...yeah i have stage fright too...but once i get up there and going....and i get the crowd going...I LOVE IT!........the who rules!...and lindsay you and i ROAD TRIP TO BRITIAN......I WANNA GO TO LIVERPOOL AND UMMM NOT SO MUCH LONDON BUT I STILL WANNA VISIT OOO HOOO YEAH! *struts*:shifty:

just pretend like you're edge on stage when you're doing your speech.........cool calm and collected and everyone loves you. whenever i have to speak in front of a group of people i think of myself as a strong politician, it helps me relax right away.

Edge on stage! Are you insane! Tryin to act like Edge, so perfect and whatever he is... I think not my friend! Of course... ya know... his face is always kind of a redish color on stage isn't it :wink: OOOOOO we have similarities! but I'm sure it happends to him cause he's all sweaty and hot or soemthin.

Hey Who sorry I missed this thread before. I also hate speaking in front of my class. I CANNOT make eye contact as much as I try and stuff, I stumble in my words and sometimes I even shake (oddly enough I don't shake so much anymore). I always have the feeling pople are going to start laughing at me and making fun at me. :(

arw9797 said:

We have a weekly meeting at work and there's 15 of us in my department. We all yell out questions to each other when we're at our desks and I'm comfortable with everyone I work with. But when we're in that meeting and they go around the room asking for input, trust me, I'm ready to crawl under the table until my turn is over. :(

:| I shouldn't have said anything about the damn weekly meetings because now we each have to take a turn doing a training session in the meeting each week. I've only worked there for 3 months! How can I train anyone on anything? Plus my topic was picked by my boss and it's something I've never even heard of before :huh:

:sad: I think it sucks!

I have to speak in front of a group every week during team meetings. At least the team that I am helping with now we spread out the topics but when I go back to my normal team I have to facilitate the whole thing. I still get a little nervous but the more it goes on I dont mind it too much. If you know your subject and it's something you are passioniate about it makes it much easier.

The worst thing in speech class was when we had to do an impromtu speech on a subject we pulled from a hat. I had to talk for 5 minutes about freaking railroad tracks. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom