Old School, baby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I was born in 1973 and stuff (and am fast approaching the tender age of 29), I thought I'd make a list of all the things I remember of the 80's. Everybody else is doing it. :D

• The Challenger exploding (I was one of the unfortunate school children who were watching it live)
  • Cerritos Air Disaster (Air Mexico and another small plane crashed mid-air over Cerritos, CA and barely missed the mall my mom and my grandma were in by three miles)
  • My Buddy/Kid Sister dolls
  • Kids Incorporated! K...I....D....S Yeah!
  • Pretty in Pink/Sixteen Candles
  • Weird Science was da bomb movie
  • Using words like "rad" and "gnarly" were part of every day speak.
  • Aquanet to make my hair BIG.
  • Folding the bottoms of my pants. I still remember how to do it, too.
  • Baby-doll shirts matched with leggings. (sent my Christian high school into conniptions - we weren't allowed to wear them because if the pants weren't worn with the shirt, the shirt would be considered obscene. I didn't care 'cause I wouldn't be caught dead in that.
  • Converse hi-tops. I was one of the only girls in my school who wore them. I had an average of 3 pairs.
  • VANS!
  • Stirrup leggings
  • Guess jeans
  • Jordache jeans and the commercials
  • Miller's Outpost dudes - remember them? The two cowboys?
  • stirrups for my pants.
  • Rubber bracelets (and what scares me is they're BACK!)
  • Robo-tech
  • Pac-Man and Mrs. Pac-Man
  • Pound Puppies - came with their own little dog houses and everything!
  • Lite-Brite (many a Saturday morning was spent with numb fingers, creating those designs)
  • Shrinky-Dinks - baking plastic! What could be better for the environment?!
  • National Lampoon's Vacation - WallyWorld. The first rated-R movie I ever saw.
  • All 3 Indiana Jones movies: 1981, 1984, and 1989.
  • Return of the Jedi was *the* best Star Wars movie.
  • Who's the Boss?, Silver Spoons (RICKY SHROEDER!), Diff'rent Strokes, and Punky Brewster
  • I want my MTV.
  • Gremlins - terrified me.
  • That absolutely horrid commercial... "This will be our little secret." :barf: - I absolutely hated that commercial. The image of that man putting that little girl's dress down and then saying "This will be our little secret" has been burned into my brain. Make it go away!
  • This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?
  • The A-Team - where no one every got hurt.
  • MacGuyver - where he could stop a bomb with a pair of hockey tickets, make a bomb with a paperclip and some gum, and generally be one cool mofo.
  • 21 Jump Street rocked my socks.
  • Charlie's Angels
  • headbands - a-la Olivia Newton John in her "Heart Attack" video
  • Mullets - the cool boy in my 8th grade class had one. I kid you not.
  • Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!
  • Salt-N-Peppa - Push It
  • Michael Jackson wasn't a freakazoid
  • Madonna - Borderline. I remember when that song came out
  • The Bangles! First record I ever bought. Walk Like an Egyptian
  • U2 performing live on top of a liquor store in Downtown LA - and I wasn't able to go.
  • President Reagan getting shot.
  • That's Incredible! TV show with that Fran guy.
  • Who could ever forget the MUPPETS?!?
  • The Goonies - Hey you GUUUUUUUUUYS!
  • Lean on Me (both the movie and the re-made song)

OK. I know there's a helluva lot more, but I'll stop. :D

Moonie :D

Last edited:
1975 BABY, right here!!!

what do i remember being a victim of:

shoulder pads
sweater dresses (yes they are back)
units
converse high tops
Corey Haim
Corey Feldman
Coca Cola Rugby Shirts
Swatch Watches
Atari
Vans
Bermuda Shorts
Jams
Izod
Esprit
Acid Wash Jeans
Gothic look (i.e. The Cure, Depeche Mode, Smiths fans)
Big Hair
Hair Spray, lots and lots
Feathered Hair
Who's The Boss
Facts Of Life
Different Strokes
The Cosby Show
Cheers
Family Ties
Growing Pains
*Kirk Cameron
Fat Albert
Clyde The Frog
Strawberry Shortcake, Huckleberry Fin
Cabbage Patch Kids
Garbage Pail Kids
Micheal Jackson fan clubs
Parachute Pants
Members Only Jackets
Reebok Aerobic Hightops

lmfao. this is great.

I got some more

• Three's Company
  • I don't wanna grow up I'm a Toys R Us kid
  • the original nintendo
  • Donkey Kong
  • Really really fast computers (133 MHZ, and 1 bit of RAM)
  • War Games
  • external modems
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  • Valley Girls
  • Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  • Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam
  • The original People's court
  • Poltergiest (still the scariest movie on the face of the earth)
  • ET
  • BattleStar Gallectica (anyone with Brothers would understand)
  • New Coke
  • Journey
  • Foreigner
  • Boston
  • Chicago (the groups)
  • Iran Contra/ Ollie North
  • Jessica Hahn
  • Those Pink Ladies jackets
  • Members Only
  • Hey I still wear my Chuck Taylors
  • Where's the Beef?

:scratch: What was "New Coke"? I'm always hearing about this but I don't remember!

:lol: And there's always Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :lol: (see my profile picture! It was taken in the spring of 1991, but still!). I had such a crush on Michaelangelo...Dude!

moon_is_playing_tricks said:
I thought MacGuyver rocked.

YOU rock Moonie! :dance:

:sick: MacGuyver!! :sick:

i had a small obsession with that man! right when i got to that age when i discovered how interesting men could be..... MacGuyver and Quantum leap came on in the morning right in a row on USA. omg... it was like 80's sexy man overload! *combusts at the memory* :huh: :cute:

femaleorgazmatron said:

i had a small obsession with that man! right when i got to that age when i discovered how interesting men could be..... MacGuyver and Quantum leap came on in the morning right in a row on USA. omg... it was like 80's sexy man overload! *combusts at the memory* :huh: :cute:

:happy: Over the summer, my brother, who is 18, would make sure to get up by 11 so he could watch MacGuyver!

daisybean said:

I guess they reformulated coke so it would taste "better" but I guess it tasted like crap cause it didn't sell....

I don't remember ever trying it...we weren't allow to have soda or candy or junk food.

Yeah...Our parents would let us have the occasional sprite, but that's about it. :happy:

femaleorgazmatron said:

hahahaha.. oh my..

My parents used to watch those shows.
:lol: :coocoo:

I love this thread! 1980 was the year I turned 13 and 1989 was the year I graduated from college, so the '80s coincided exactly with my "coming of age" years.

Here's the stuff I remember off the top of my head (forgive me if I repeat stuff that's already been said):

* Trying to solve Rubik's Cube (I never succeeded)
* Break dancing
* John Hughes movies
* Flashdance-style sweatshirts
* Leg warmers
* Jelly shoes (they really left indentations on your feet!)
* Madonna wanna-bes
* Michael Jackson's moonwalking
* Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" album, which I listened to constantly in 1985.
* Prince's "Purple Rain" album.
* All the new wave bands, particularly Duran Duran.
* The "Chipmunk Punk" album (I am not making this up! There was an Alvin and the Chipmunks album in the early 1980s covering "punk" songs, but looking back none of them were what would be considered real punk. I think the closest they got was Blondie's "Call Me.")
* "We Are The World" and Live Aid
* Miami Vice
* Watching Friday Night Videos (my family didn't get cable until I was almost out of high school, so this was the only time I got to see music videos unless I happened to be at the house of a friend who had cable).
* "The Facts of Life." This was my favorite TV show when I was in junior high. God help me.
* Ronald Regan getting shot.
* The Iran-Contra hearings
* Hair metal :yuck:
* "Just Say No"
* Hearing about AIDS for the first time
* Then there was a certain Irish band. Not that they were a big deal or anything. All they did was save rock and roll.

Last edited:
femaleorgazmatron said:

MacGuyver!!

i had a small obsession with that man! right when i got to that age when i discovered how interesting men could be..... MacGuyver and Quantum leap came on in the morning right in a row on USA. omg... it was like 80's sexy man overload! *combusts at the memory*

Kaaaawwwww... thank you! :blush: :blush:

Irritation.... I just spent a good twenty minutes replying to this post and when I had to go back and take out too many of the images, my post disappeared. :growl:

Anywho... What got me into watching MacGuyver was my dad coming home one day and telling me he was in a tv show filming on the street. Sure enough, we watched MacGuyver when it was supposed to air and there was my dad in his company's blue truck, looking down at the action. I was hooked from that day on. I loved how he could solve problems and whatnot with basic kitchen/bathroom supplies. Preventing a bomb from going off with two coveted hockey tickets.... well, you gotta love the man.

Oh, and y'all wanna talk about big hair? Here's some proof:

Circa 1987:
3355992%3B23232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2326%3D676%3D%3B%3A4%3Dxroqdf%3E232333%3A378455ot1lsi

Circa 1988:
3355992%3B23232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D676%3D%3B%3A4%3Dxroqdf%3E232333%3A378456ot1lsi

Circa 1990: (my senior picture --> also known as the picture where my hair reached new heights)
3355992%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2326%3D676%3D%3B%3A4%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3B9584658ot1lsi

I loved AquaNet. I had a can of it at home, a can in my locker, and a can in my purse. It was the white can - the Ultra Super Mega Hold - or whatever. I swear I am partially responsible for the hole in the ozone layer... I mean that stuff was lethal. :ohmy:

I.... Have.... the.... POWER!

Jam Jar said:

80's!! Thunder..THUNDER! THUNDERCATS< HOOO! heheh..ho. haha, love that show..:D :lol:

I can't remember the whole opening sequence, but a few things do stick out in my mind...

"I am Adam, prince of Eternia and defender of the secrets of castle Grayskull. This is Cringer, my fearless friend. Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword and said...'By the Power of Grayskull!'

'I.... Have.... the..... POWER!' HeMan!

Cringer became the mighty Battle Cat and I became He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe!"

Cheeeeeseball, I know. But OHWOW, does this bring back the memories. :D I can still hear "He-man" echoing in my head.

Heh.

Re: I.... Have.... the.... POWER!

I can't remember the whole opening sequence, but a few things do stick out in my mind...

"I am Adam, prince of Eternia and defender of the secrets of castle Grayskull. This is Cringer, my fearless friend. Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword and said...'By the Power of Grayskull!'

'I.... Have.... the..... POWER!' HeMan!

Cringer became the mighty Battle Cat and I became He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe!"

Cheeeeeseball, I know. But OHWOW, does this bring back the memories. :D I can still hear "He-man" echoing in my head.

Heh.

nawww you're not a cheesball! hehe i LOVE He man! the new version is soooo great! (cartoon network, every saturday, i think, at 4) it's funny, prince adam's voice changes, so it's like he went from the age of 16 to 36 hehe. cringer's cute, but Orco, the dude who flies around in a dress (heh) is the best- his voice..AWWW! jeez i'm a dork muahaha

flaming june said:

You see, way before Larry, there was Lion-O...

I LOVE this thread! Daisy, I'm a 75 baby too, and I remember all those things you mention. The Garbage Pail Kids made me sick Punky Brewster was my hero!

Oh, and Moonie, I totally wanted feathered hair! And The A-Team and McGuyver were must sees. Remember Miami Vice? My parents wouldn't let me see it!

S'more:

Different Strokes
I was in love with Patrick Duffy
The Challenger
Top Gun
Cindy Lauper
The Goonies (I loved that movie!!!)
Gremlins
My Child (cute dolls!)
Barbie
Jem or Gem <------- Barbie type doll (remember the cartoon about her?)
Mon ChiChi
21 Jump Street (In love with Johnny too...)

Ok, I'll stop now

This thread is GREAT!!!! I :heart: the 80s!

I still buy and listen to music by Cyndi Lauper and Debbie (who is Deborah now) Gibson...yes, they still make music! :lol: Oh, and Pat Benatar, too! Also loved the Go-Gos, Adam Ant, Journey, Bon Jovi... I'm sure there's more!

I have Men At Work's album on vinyl! :D

And I :heart: 21 Jumpstreet!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! I have soooooooooooo many of those episodes on tape...tapes and tapes of 'em! That was the coolest show (Johnny Depp = :love: and Peter Deluise, too!)

My sister still has a working Atari system and some games. :yes:

I loved Strawberry Shortcake, the Smurfs (Papa Smurf was my fav) and I watched Inspector Gadget EVERY morning before going to school!!

Also absolutely LOVED the tv show Solid Gold!! I even created, with a friend, a website recently for the show. Check it out at http://www.sgdancers.com

:laugh:

Since I was born in 1973 and stuff (and am fast approaching the tender age of 29), I thought I'd make a list of all the things I remember of the 80's. Everybody else is doing it.
  • The Challenger exploding (I was one of the unfortunate school children who were watching it live)
  • Cerritos Air Disaster (Air Mexico and another small plane crashed mid-air over Cerritos, CA and barely missed the mall my mom and my grandma were in by three miles)
  • My Buddy/Kid Sister dolls
  • Kids Incorporated! K...I....D....S Yeah!
  • Pretty in Pink/Sixteen Candles
  • Weird Science was da bomb movie
  • Using words like "rad" and "gnarly" were part of every day speak.
  • Aquanet to make my hair BIG.
  • Folding the bottoms of my pants. I still remember how to do it, too.
  • Baby-doll shirts matched with leggings. (sent my Christian high school into conniptions - we weren't allowed to wear them because if the pants weren't worn with the shirt, the shirt would be considered obscene. I didn't care 'cause I wouldn't be caught dead in that.
  • Converse hi-tops. I was one of the only girls in my school who wore them. I had an average of 3 pairs.
  • VANS!
  • Stirrup leggings
  • Guess jeans
  • Jordache jeans and the commercials
  • Miller's Outpost dudes - remember them? The two cowboys?
  • stirrups for my pants.
  • Rubber bracelets (and what scares me is they're BACK!)
  • Robo-tech
  • Pac-Man and Mrs. Pac-Man
  • Pound Puppies - came with their own little dog houses and everything!
  • Lite-Brite (many a Saturday morning was spent with numb fingers, creating those designs)
  • Shrinky-Dinks - baking plastic! What could be better for the environment?!
  • National Lampoon's Vacation - WallyWorld. The first rated-R movie I ever saw.
  • All 3 Indiana Jones movies: 1981, 1984, and 1989.
  • Return of the Jedi was *the* best Star Wars movie.
  • Who's the Boss?, Silver Spoons (RICKY SHROEDER!), Diff'rent Strokes, and Punky Brewster
  • I want my MTV.
  • Gremlins - terrified me.
  • That absolutely horrid commercial... "This will be our little secret." :barf: - I absolutely hated that commercial. The image of that man putting that little girl's dress down and then saying "This will be our little secret" has been burned into my brain. Make it go away!
  • This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?
  • The A-Team - where no one every got hurt.
  • MacGuyver - where he could stop a bomb with a pair of hockey tickets, make a bomb with a paperclip and some gum, and generally be one cool mofo.
  • 21 Jump Street rocked my socks.
  • Charlie's Angels
  • headbands - a-la Olivia Newton John in her "Heart Attack" video
  • Mullets - the cool boy in my 8th grade class had one. I kid you not.
  • Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!
  • Salt-N-Peppa - Push It
  • Michael Jackson wasn't a freakazoid
  • Madonna - Borderline. I remember when that song came out
  • The Bangles! First record I ever bought. Walk Like an Egyptian
  • U2 performing live on top of a liquor store in Downtown LA - and I wasn't able to go.
  • President Reagan getting shot.
  • That's Incredible! TV show with that Fran guy.
  • Who could ever forget the MUPPETS?!?
  • The Goonies - Hey you GUUUUUUUUUYS!
  • Lean on Me (both the movie and the re-made song)

OK. I know there's a helluva lot more, but I'll stop. :D

OMG I remember every single item....
Move over children hehee..I was born 1971.. Yes, just call me mama Gisela!!
other items not mentioned - I think
  • The GoGos
  • Wham - when George Michael was soooo HOT and not gay (yet) I had a white t-shirt that read "Choose Life" in fluorescent pink letters with matching socks :D
  • the video-whip it & Tony Basil- Hey mickie,
  • Duran Duran - John Taylor was so hot, Blondie, Depeche Mode, Culture Club, AhHa, Bryan Adams, Journey
  • White Snake, Poison, Ratt, Motley Crue, Winger, Def Lepard, Skid Row, Cinderella, Queensryche - I still listen to them...wait - was I a "rock chick"?
  • cowboy boots with short skirts or with those flowered long dresses
  • long Blazers with spandex shorts and with just about anything else- I can't believe I'm admitting to this:eek:
  • I had a mullet - yep later came the big permed frosted hair, must get my scanner back to scan picture of me-self.:shifty:
  • Cabbage Patch Kids....I remember parents fighting over these!!
  • those little black boots with scrunchy socks over my pants - which were sewn to fit very tight, could barely pull them over my heel.
  • pants that were two-toned, one color in front and other in the back:barf:

Ok...I can't remember anymore.
It's wonderful walking down memory lane.

Back
Top Bottom