oh, the pain! (those of the male sex beware...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
advil+choloate+diet coke
this is also the headache remedy as well - I could actually get all scientific here but this combo does work:)

aleve and a heating pad :hug:

seriously, heating pads work wonders :up:

I used to have really bad "hell weeks" - I fainted once in high school fromt the pain :yikes: If it is really bad, you might want to talk to your GYN doctor about birth control pills - a lot of women take them to help with cramps and bleeding.

-all of the guys sure must have left this forum fast after that post :shifty:

ugh, we must be in synch. hell week indeed. i feel your pain, girl. literally.

i'm a huge fan of ibuprofen, heating pads/magic bags, and a nice cuppa tea to take the edge off the pain. curl up in a nice warm place with your favourite blanket and throw on a movie. really, it's the only way to get by. :wink:

kellyahern said:

I used to have really bad "hell weeks" - I fainted once in high school fromt the pain :yikes: If it is really bad, you might want to talk to your GYN doctor about birth control pills - a lot of women take them to help with cramps and bleeding.

ah, i used to have similar problems back in high school too--passing out, nausea, two days off school every month... happily, it's better now. still not fun, but better.

Well I've had a shit hell f***ed up week!!! I definitely feel like going out and getting shitfaced.

The most worst awful week of my entire life. :madspit: :sad:

U2dem, mine is also at least 8 days and I have 3 days of non-stop cramps and five days of migraines (2 at the beginning, 3 towards the end). I just started birth control and hopefully that will help. For years, I'd been taking 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours for the first four days. Now I take naproxen because it works faster (if I missed a dose of ibuprofen, I would literally not be able to walk until the next dose kicked in a few hrs later) and it lasts longer. The bad part is lately every time I take it I get real bad chest pain. Guess my stomach has had about as much OTC meds as it can take.

I've read that exercise helps and I really agree. I think it releases hormones that dampen the pain. It also just helps you take your mind off of the periods. Back when I did gymnastics, we didn't really have a choice whether or not to exercise, but now I like to get out and walk it off. I also get REALLY depressed and moody during my period. This only started in the past year or so and you can't really tell on the outside, but sometimes I end up skipping class and laying in bed all day. I haven't yet found a solution for this though :(

Excercise helps a lot, although not in the moment.

Be careful with Naproxen, LivLuv, it's really hard on the stomach, and causes major wear and tear over time.

The pill is a consideration for anyone whose period lasts that long. If you have a history of breast cancer in your family and are under the age of 25, I would encourage you to get genetic sequencing of your BRCA genes done first before going on the pill.

dandy said:

i'm a huge fan of ibuprofen, heating pads/magic bags, and a nice cuppa tea to take the edge off the pain.

What's ibuprofen? :confused:

dandy said:
curl up in a nice warm place with your favourite blanket and throw on a movie. really, it's the only way to get by. :wink:

I usually pop some advils and/or chocolate, put U2 on the telly and eventually drift off. When I wake up, I'm usually better. :up:

What's ibuprofen?

Generic name from advil etc.

I can say that say you get a bit older things tend to become less painful/horrific - I used to have to take off a minimum of a day or so a month - I saw a GYN who started me on the pill which helped quite a bit - the thing to do is see a GYN if you are having serious problems - not fun at all but at least you will get some help

but I'm maintaining advil+chocolate+diet coke - possible movie (dirty dancing:reject: ) - repeat

anitram said:

Be careful with Naproxen, LivLuv, it's really hard on the stomach, and causes major wear and tear over time.

The pill is a consideration for anyone whose period lasts that long. If you have a history of breast cancer in your family and are under the age of 25, I would encourage you to get genetic sequencing of your BRCA genes done first before going on the pill.

Yes, it is starting to really hurt when I take it. I get this pain right at the bottom of my breast bone that comes and goes in waves for a few hours. It helps a little bit to eat a lot actually.

I might mention what you said to my doctor because my aunt (a blood-related aunt) had breast cancer before she was 30. Is that procedure expensive? :(

naproxen is evil. i was on it for awhile in high school, and it did help with the pain, but it stoned me out so badly that i couldn't function. different end of the same spectrum, i suppose.

:hug: for (well, all of us :wink:) you, liv. sorry to hear that it is literally hell on earth for you. if it's a good option for you, you should definitely try out the pill.

U2democrat said:
my cramps aren't too bad or anything its just annoying. and mine lasts 8 days! :ohmy:

:ohmy: I live in hell about 4-5 days a month and I live on extra strength tylenol. Be careful with Naproxen, aleve etc.. I took so much of it for my cramps I had an inflammation in my stomach and went through months of tests to finally figure out what it was..

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
U2dem, mine is also at least 8 days and I have 3 days of non-stop cramps and five days of migraines (2 at the beginning, 3 towards the end). I just started birth control and hopefully that will help. For years, I'd been taking 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours for the first four days. Now I take naproxen because it works faster (if I missed a dose of ibuprofen, I would literally not be able to walk until the next dose kicked in a few hrs later) and it lasts longer. The bad part is lately every time I take it I get real bad chest pain. Guess my stomach has had about as much OTC meds as it can take.

I've read that exercise helps and I really agree. I think it releases hormones that dampen the pain. It also just helps you take your mind off of the periods. Back when I did gymnastics, we didn't really have a choice whether or not to exercise, but now I like to get out and walk it off. I also get REALLY depressed and moody during my period. This only started in the past year or so and you can't really tell on the outside, but sometimes I end up skipping class and laying in bed all day. I haven't yet found a solution for this though :(

I have a prescription for Zomig. It is a wonder for migraines. I literally got my life back.

I have zomig and imitrex, but haven't taken them yet. The dr. gave me samples and there was 1 pill in a giant box with a library list of side effects so I decided not to take them

one4u2 said:
I have zomig and imitrex, but haven't taken them yet. The dr. gave me samples and there was 1 pill in a giant box with a library list of side effects so I decided not to take them

I've been taking zomig for several years and have had no problems. I've never tried imitrex.

I'm just not pill friendly.... Sudafed makes me feel wasted :happy: How long have you had migraines?? I'm actually having an MRI tomorrow, because my headaches suck.

one4u2 said:
I'm just not pill friendly.... Sudafed makes me feel wasted :happy: How long have you had migraines?? I'm actually having an MRI tomorrow, because my headaches suck.

Let's see, my daughter is l8. They started when I was pregnant with her. Connection maybe, no problems with the three boys.:confused:

dandy said:
naproxen is evil. i was on it for awhile in high school, and it did help with the pain, but it stoned me out so badly that i couldn't function. different end of the same spectrum, i suppose.

Really? The stuff I take is probably weaker. There's two stores in town where I can find it OTC. I know people who've had it prescribed after gymnastics injuries, but I'm guessing that's a stronger dose.

I've been on a generic of birth control for one week and two days. Hopefully it will take care of all three birds with one stone (terrible PMS, complexion, and NOT having periods while in remote African villages)

bonosloveslave said:
No issues since I started on the pill :up:

Does the pill really mess with your hormones? I've heard so many bad things about it (ie: it just drives you up the wall and can cause weight gain, etc.) and I'm already on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication. :crazy: I'm thinking about getting an IUD. Anyone know anything about those?

I hate how the time I'm at my most horniest is when I'm on my period-- right when I DON'T want to have sex. I mean that's just mean.

Chocolate & heating pads do the trick for me. :up:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Yes, it is starting to really hurt when I take it. I get this pain right at the bottom of my breast bone that comes and goes in waves for a few hours. It helps a little bit to eat a lot actually.

My uneducated guess on that would be heartburn. Have you tried some Tums or something?

Keocmb said:

I hate how the time I'm at my most horniest is when I'm on my period-- right when I DON'T want to have sex. I mean that's just mean.

:lol: :lmao: :lol:
I hear you.

Ibuprofen does exactly nothing for me unless I take at least six of them... 2 aleve will help a little. Maybe. I have some sort of resistance to OTC drugs, I think. If it gets really bad I take some vicodin that I have left from a hospital visit, provided I don't need to drive for the next four hours.

I didn't used to get cramps until I went on the pill, oddly enough. They didn't get too bad until I went off the depo shot... then I had one really horrible period and the rest since then have been fairly bad, cramp-wise. My remedy is a heating pad and a nice boyfriend to wait on me hand and foot.

and yes, the pill messes with your hormones. It IS hormones. I think most people would say it more regulates them than any thing else... I didn't have any problems with the pill. The shot made me gain about forty pounds, though.... I'd still recommend it. Statistically it works better than getting your tubes tied, you get no period, and you don't have to remember it every day.

And IUD lasts for five to ten years. It's uncomfortable to put in, but other than that, no problem. It can cause spotting and/or irregular periods. These symptoms vary, as with any medication or birth control, etc.
There are free "brochures" on all kinds of birth control at your local clinic. Tons and tons of types of pills ranging from least hormones to high hormones to control acne.
I have endometriosis- which just caused my most recent and awful miscarriage- which made my periods THE worst ever: long, heavy with clotting, and bad menstrual cramps that reside after 2 days, not to mention a bad dose of PMS.
In fact, my doctor warned me about the upcoming miscarriage, saying that it's horrific to go through, and utmost painful, with pains as bad as 'labour' pains! I was scared shitless! I took ibuprofen and vicodin and just waited, and what do you know, the same kind of my menstrual cramping pain came, and went.
A period as bad as a miscarriage, holy shit, poor me. :sad:

The next shot of vodka is to all the girls that feel that pain.

Kristie said:

My uneducated guess on that would be heartburn. Have you tried some Tums or something?

I think it's the naproxen b/c I've never had heartburn before and this only happens after I take naproxen. And the MORE I eat, the less pain there is. Once I googled "ulcer" and on the page I read, I had every single symptom described :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom