Oh My God, Edge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

so....who wants to buy it for me? :wink:

hes such a generous guy, i really respect him.

Okay...looking at the pics, it doesn't look like it's the ORIGINAL Explorer. There's no dent in it. And the hardware doesn't look gold.

large-406f.jpg

large-406b.jpg

Well, I've never heard that he had more than one of that particular guitar. The hardware could have been replaced and maybe it was cleaned up a bit. Anybody else hear of him having more than one 76 Explorer?

Dana

I don't know if he has more than one or not, but I hope so.

He's had the neck replaced and fixed a couple times, but the dent has been in it since the early days. So I don't know why he'd suddenly get that fixed now.

I just don't see him parting with this guitar.

I really think I've read somewhere that he has more than one, but I can't be sure.

The only thing about him selling it (if there is only one) is that it is literally priceless. No matter how high the price is, I don't see how it could be sold to some random person. Hmm.

It's FANTASTIC for Music Rising though!

OMG! Edge....
He has said this guitar is so special to him....
That's the one he bought when they first came to the states isn't it? Talk about sentimental value.
Last year I remember when he was talking about the auction he said that donating a guitar should be painful, it makes giving more meaningful. Or something like that.
He said much more eloquently than I! :)
What a guy! EDGE you are a sweetheart. It's just stuff right? Can't take it with you...but I and the rest of us will miss seeing that piece on stage....:sad:
WE LOVE YOU EDGE!:heart: :heart:
Great idea about buying it back for him!! We should do it!!

The thing that makes me think it's NOT the original is the whole "Notes Limited Edition Gibson Explorer."

That makes it sound like it's one of the reissues that Gibson has put out over the years.

Edgette said:
The thing that makes me think it's NOT the original is the whole "Notes Limited Edition Gibson Explorer."

That makes it sound like it's one of the reissues that Gibson has put out over the years.

But, if you look at how it is described in the press release they say it is the one he used in the Beautiful Day video which as I understand it was his original Explorer.

Dana

I think I read somewhere that he has spares for everything...

Either way, it's a very significant donation and I hope it brings a crapload of money to Music Rising :yes:

Icons of Music / Edge's Explorer

To Rihannsu:
Edge's first Explorer is a 1976 Limited Edition Explorer. The 1976's were reissues of the original 1958's but in mahogany, not korina wood.

Edge has at least two if not more of the 1976's. It appears that the #2, that was tunes to standard E, used for Miracle Drug and Beautiful Day is the one on auction.

Edge's first Explorer usually stays in E-flat for older tunes.

Also interesting... The blue 1981 Les Paul Standard is an interesting item. Wonder what songs it may have been used for in the studio?

So even if the Explorer being auctioned isn't his # 1, it's still one used alot, since The Joshua Tree tour, per a Harmony Central article that I read. So I'd be great to have, if one could afford it. Heck, I'd be happy to win the U2 rings!

Harmony Central link below:
http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2008/Music-Rising-Icons-Of-Music-Auction-II.html

http://www.juliensauctions.com/index.html

and more indepth here. (below)

http://www.auctionnetworklive.com/s...artLotId=382&direction=next&showThumbNails=on

There is the link to the U2 items. They are # 384-409

Last edited:
i can tell you without a doubt that edge has more then one explorer.

At one of the australian vertigo shows afew years back, i remember seeing edge play one explorer for saints, and then dallas running out with another explorer for him to play angel of harlem on. it really hit me and i was rather suprised cause i thought i knew most of edges touring rig quite well and i didnt know that he used 2.

so yer, it could quite possibly be the 2nd one. i'd hope so atleast!

:huh: It's confusing with the exact same conversation going on in 2 forums :lol:

Anyways, same as I asked over there, anyone know what that pic of Edge is from? Since the guitar he's holding is the one that was donated, just wondering...

We had the same discussion last year after Edge announced the guitar he was about to give away for the Music Rising auction.

I'm pretty sure he has more than one of this.

Anyway, the cause is obviously very dear to him. Good for Edge.

Glad to hear he's not parting with THE explorer... that would've been just plain wrong! :sad:

man, if I only had the money, I'd buy this baby!

Edgette said:
Thanks Edge_Orchestra, that's what I thought. (And was hoping.)

It does say early stage played but the Harmony Central article is quick to point out since the Joshua Tree tour.

The Blue LP says concert used. My question is WHAT concert? I've seen loads of photos online, in books, etc. I've never seen Edge play that blue LP onstage. Doesn't mean that he didn't. But if he did, it was few and far between. Used in the studio? That is more likely. There are a few guitars that he didn't take on the road or didnt' for a number of years until finally taking them... ie: The "Stuck In A Moment..." Strat.

Back
Top Bottom