Odd report of abusive mob outside Bono's house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I saw this on the @U2 forum:

From Ireland’s Weekend Herald. 19th May 2007:

Security guards at Bono’s Killiney home called gardai after a gang gathered to scream abuse at his family.

The gang also exposed themselves to security cameras at the U2 frontman’s gate.

Gardai were called to the luxurious home after the thugs shouted insults.

This week, Sgt. Peadar McCann told Dun Laoghaire District court that gardai responded to a call from Bono’s house last Saturday.

“Gardai attended the scene and the complaint was that a group of youths were there, exposing themselves in front of the security camera at the front gate and screaming abuse at the Hewson family.”

Sgt. McCann added that “Paul Hewson would be very well known.”

Judge Clare Leonarrd replied that the court “knew who Mr. Hewson was.”

Sgt. McCann was giving evidence in a case involving a man charged with resisting arrest. Robert Canavan (24) watched as the youths exposed themselves outside Bono’s house, the court was told.

He was arrested when he hurled abuse at gardai who questioned him about the incident.

Canavan, of Eaton Wood Court, Shankill, admitted a charge of obstructing gardai.

Judge Leonard bound him to keep the peace for six months and warned: “If you associate with people who behave badly you will be tainted by what they do.”

Nobody else was brought to court in relation to the incident.

Security guards described the group to gardai, who then approached Canavan outside nearby Killiney shores.

They believed at the time he was under the influence of drugs, but later found out he was under medication.

He was speaking “gibberish” and started shouting abuse, telling the gardai to “f**k off” and “get their hands off him”.

Sgt. McCabe said”[…}A struggle ensued and they eventually managed to handcuff him”

The judge applied the Probation Act, leaving Canavan without conviction.

kellyahern said:
Sounds more like :drunk:.
Yeah, probably just some drunken kids messing around; it happens, that's why celebrities have security guards.

Although the (apparently) older man standing around "watch[ing] as the youths exposed themselves" sounds maybe a little :coocoo: .

I seem to recall reading that Bono had a penchant for exposing himself at that age as well...

Last edited:
Caroni said:
Sounds funny but if you think the situation, that must be scary

that´s disrespectful:mad: :madspit:
yeah :angry: The part that gets me is that it says they were shouting abuse at his family, not just at him :huh: If that's true, that's all kinds of wrong :mad: He's got little kids.

unico said:
:lol: i was gonna say Pet Shop Boys fanclub.
but really, probably just a bunch of drunk kids. that stuff happens here all the time.

Haha!

Yeah I was gonna say, as far as people yelling profanities and exposing themselves, it sounds like a regular weekend night outside our dorm, except we don't have gates or guards.

Weird.

Liesje said:

Haha!

Yeah I was gonna say, as far as people yelling profanities and exposing themselves, it sounds like a regular weekend night outside our dorm, except we don't have gates or guards.

Weird.

that's what our doggies are for ;)

whatever happened to the old "release the hounds" defense?

:hmm: they must've been out playing poker or something.

but that is surprising, I thought Canaans were supposed to be great guard dogs. the only thing louder than a drunken mob is a pissed off guard dog.

kafrun said:
Must've been a group of EYKIWers :tongue:

:lmao: win!

srsly, that they hurl abuse at Bono I can understand, I don't justify it, but I can understand why... he's a celebrity and people often pick at him because he's a 'do gooder'.... but why his family :huh:

Galeongirl said:

but why his family :huh:

Angry ex boyfriend of one of the girls and his buddies? It's a possibility. When you have teenage daughters, that kind of thing can happen, famous or not. Maybe Bono ran the guy off himself so he was pissed at the father and the girl?

kafrun said:
Must've been a group of EYKIWers :tongue:

You mocking people in EYKIW is no better than them mocking PLEBAns...even if you include a smiley.

I just kind of found that a little annoying, since I always stick up for PLEBA when they get bashed.

Galeongirl said:

:lmao: win!

srsly, that they hurl abuse at Bono I can understand, I don't justify it, but I can understand why... he's a celebrity and people often pick at him because he's a 'do gooder'.... but why his family :huh:

Maybe you ain't been drunk at 3.00 am and at a loose end :wink:

blueeyedgirl said:

Maybe you ain't been drunk at 3.00 am and at a loose end :wink:

Well I have, but it never occured to me to go and pull something like that!:p

If it was London, it would be completely understandable, a bunch of Hooray Henrys off on a tear. But I've always had the sense people left Bono and the band pretty much alone at home. It would be sad if these idiots make life unpleasant for the Hewsons.

my mind is playing tricks on me. When I saw the title of the thread, I initially thought that someone was being abusive to one of the Mods! Geez, I need glasses.

Usually, you get inside the gate, the dogs can have your...parts...for lunch. Good guard dogs don't generally make a lot of noise - they just corner you and look menacing. /Really/ menacing. Hysterically funny, watching dogs corner some giant 6 footer.:p

Back
Top Bottom