No Secret At All - Chapter Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
A lot of the details of the Zoo TV tour have been/will be changed for the sake of the story. (For example, when Bono made the first phone call to the white house, his first appearance as Macphisto, when Adam and Edge cut their hair, and lots of other things) That’s why they call it fan FICTION :wink:
Disclaimer: although this story is inspired by real people, it is completely fictional. None of it happened. Even the things which are based loosely off reality have been changed/altered for the sake of the storyline. Please don’t mistake any of this for reality or take it seriously – it’s written for the sake of fun and entertainment. No harm intended. There will be some foul / offensive language and adult themes READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION

No Secret At All

Chapter Six

February 29, 1992

Taylor watched the show from the floor with the sound technicians, Paul, and a handful of other U2 employees. As she watched, she found herself trying hard not to be impressed but failing miserably. She’d seen a lot of concerts, but nothing like this before. It was cool, cheeky, smart and sexy – just like the men on stage. She couldn’t help be a bit dismayed at the way she’d been drawn in by them in one short day. She’d made a career out of her ability to maintain a distance from the people she worked with and had never before felt as if she could be friends with them.

She felt a strange kinship to Larry – he didn’t seem to be a bad guy, after all, just private. All four of them were more open and sincere than anyone else she’d ever worked with in this business. Even so, there was a real danger in getting in over her head. Danger, she told herself, with a capital A-D-A-M. She had known her share of broken hearts, and Adam Clayton had heartbreaker written all over him. Long before the concert had ended, she knew she was going to have to find a way to steer clear of him if she wanted to make this job work.

Edge wiped his face with one of the soft terrycloth towels they had on hand and just stood there, feeling the heave of his chest as his lungs pulled air in and forced it out in great volumes, his racing heart working furiously to keep up with his adrenaline flooded systems need. The crowd was deafening, even backstage and despite the four song encore they’d already given.

He was smiling so hard his cheeks ached, but he didn’t stop; didn’t even try too. This was what all the years of hard work and all of the personal troubles he’d suffered had been for. It was the afterglow. Then, in the midst of a moment of happiness he didn’t think could get any better, he heard someone calling his name, turned and saw a flash of long brown hair flying behind Lacey as she ran toward him, her arms open.

A second later he was bowled over as her body collided with his without slowing down; first he was spun backwards, his arms automatically going around her waist as she clung to him; then he was pulled back around sideways and felt his center of gravity tip past the point of no return as they fell to the floor tangled up in one another and laughing madly.

“That was amazing!!!!” Lacey told him, her green eyes shining as if someone had turned a light on inside of her. Her face was so close to his that the tips of their noses touched, and he swore he could feel her heartbeat against his chest as they lay there together, grinning like idiots and trying to catch their breath.

“Thanks, but what did you think of the show?” he asked playfully, making her wrinkle her nose at him. He felt his chest tighten almost painfully, his heart aching at the sight of her; wanting her, needing more of her even though she was already right there in his arms. He inched his face toward hers until their lips were nearly touching, realizing with a start that he was trembling slightly. Lacey lowered her eyelids, long brown lashes hiding her eyes as she lifted her chin slightly so that her lips brushed his in a feather-brush of a kiss that stoked the desire inside him until it was nearly raging out of control.

The sound of nervous laughter and Larry impatiently clearing his throat invaded Edge’s mind, however, drawing him back to reality and the bigger picture of where they were, and more to the point, who they were with. Edge brushed Lacey’s silky hair back out of her face and away from his own and peered up at his band-mates who were all standing nearby and gazing down at them. Adam smirked at them in an approving way Edge had rarely seen Adam look at him; Bono grinned in obvious amusement at the scene, but also obviously happy for his friend.

Larry scowled at them with a bemused look in his eyes, and Edge couldn’t blame him. Still, he laughed out loud at the look on his friends face. He was too happy to care if he was making Larry uncomfortable; and Larry needed to adjust – he’d agreed with them when they’d all decided to let loose and enjoy the life a little more.

“Uhhhm…” Edge chuckled, still lying on the concrete with Lacey in his arms, “Adam, Larry, Bono, this is Lacey James.” She smiled up at them brightly and told them hello as she rested her head against Edge’s chest.

“Hullo,” Adam replied politely, lighting a cigarette and considering whether or not to offer her one as well. Bono dropped down onto the floor and sat cross-legged, facing the giggling couple.

“I saw you at the after party last night, I think,” he told the girl, and she hummed in agreement. Larry frowned at them as if he thought he was the only sane one left. When Taylor marched out to the car that was waiting for her and saw them there, she hurried over to check on them, thinking someone was hurt or ill. Why else would they be lying around on the cement floor not far from the parking basement? Larry shrugged at her and shook his head, unable to explain the situation.

“Maybe we should go back to the hotel,” Edge finally suggested, speaking to Lacey but also to the entire group which had begun to gather around them. Adam gave first Lacey and then Edge a hand up, and as they all continued into the garage and then the waiting cars, Edge knew they all had questions and comments for him, but he didn’t care. He didn’t understand it either; it had just happened. He was happy – truly happy for the first time in a very long time.

“I’m hungry,” Katrina whined, stretched out on a chaise lounge on the balcony of the penthouse suite. The sweet scent of the sea drifted over them on a cool breeze, the sounds of the surf barely audible over the sounds of the city. The four men from the band, Paul, and a small handful of others were relaxing with some wine and light conversation after having cooled down from and conferred over the details of the first show. They picked apart every last detail, actually – anyone listening in would have thought the concert had been a disaster they were so hard on themselves. They refused to be anything but the best, though.

“Room service is closed for the night, love,” Adam informed the exotic beauty as she pouted at him. “Why don’t you check the mini-bar?”

“No,” she replied, her accent thicker when she pouted. “There’s nothing I want in there.”

Adam shrugged, leaning against the balcony railing and trying to think of an option that would make her happy. He frowned as he realized he couldn’t – at least not one that would be worth the effort. He had gone out of his way to answer her whims in the past and usually she was left unsatisfied and disappointed. He didn’t want to seem callous or cold, but frankly he was tired of jumping through hoops for her. Especially considering the fact that the nature of their relationship was unusual and considerably more beneficial for her than it was for him.

Most of the time, he didn’t mind. Being known as Katrina’s lover publicly was certainly fun, and she could be great fun at times herself. These days, however, being attached to her seemed to be more of a limitation than it was worth.

She seemed to realize that he wasn’t about to bend over backwards to please her, and so, with a sexy sigh that would reduce most men to quivering lumps, she stood and excused herself from the gathering.

“She’s quite a gem,” Lacey mumbled, not intending anyone but Edge to hear her sarcastic comment, but as soon as the words were out she knew she’d spoken too loudly. Adam was the first to snicker, though, relieving any tension the comment might have caused and making them all share a laugh.

“She has her attributes,” Adam said, stubbing out the cigarette he’d been smoking and blowing out the last puff of smoke from his lungs.

“Yeah, and she wears them all on the outside,” Larry quipped. He had never hidden the fact that he had no patience for Katrina’s antics.

“You’re just jealous because you’re not the prettiest one in the room when she’s around,” Bono teased. Larry lifted his middle finger at him, but he couldn’t help but smile a little at his long time friend’s good natured words. The all around mood was light, the concert had gone well and there was a great relief now that they had gotten the tour rolling. The hard work of writing and conceptualizing had mostly passed and now the job they had to do was exactly the part they all loved the most.

“You work for my lover, yes?” Katrina asked, not bothering to address Taylor by name or even waste time on a simple ‘hi’. Taylor felt her spine stiffen, her teeth clenching as she bit back the harsh words she wanted to spew at the woman. Instead, she managed to reply curtly,

“Uh, actually I work for Larry.”

“Same thing,” Katrina said with a flippant wave of her slender hand. “We need these things.” She handed Taylor a list. Mandarin Oranges, Papaya, Passion fruit, Kiwi fruit and several types of cheese and bread were listed on it. Taylor frowned and looked up at the woman, but Katrina was already walking away. She swore under her breath, wanting to simply crumple the list and throw it away; she had been on her way to bed for the night and hardly felt like going grocery shopping.

Still, she was employed to do the little things that would make life easier; and if Larry and the others were so determined they needed their fancy late night snack she would go get it for them. It would have been easier to do if Larry had made the request himself. She turned away from her door, her aching body longing for the comfort of the bed, and headed back downstairs. She would call for a car from the desk phone and ask the clerk to recommend a grocery store.

***********************************************************************************************

“You know, we’re making enough money now that you really don’t need to take side jobs,” Larry told Edge when Lacey slipped into the hotel for a moment.

“What?” Edge asked, his eyebrows drawing together in a confused frown.

“Babysitting,” Larry replied. Adam choked on his wine as he laughed unexpectedly. Bono laughed, too, and much to everyone’s surprise, so did Edge.

“Alright, very funny. I know, I know. I can’t explain it, though – she just – woke something up inside of me,” He told them.

“Inside your pants you mean,” Adam teased. Once again, even Edge had to laugh, his cheeks flushing pink.

“It’s not like that, at least not just that. Believe me, if you could know…” he let his words trail off, unable to explain what he felt for Lacey, especially not without sharing personal information he was sure she didn’t want to be the topics of discussion for everyone.

“Are you serious?” Larry obviously doubted there was any depth to the unique relationship.

“I am. Besides, I thought we all agreed to loosen up and live the life for awhile, you know, be rock stars,” Edge replied.

“Without compromising out beliefs,” Larry added, “if that’s possible.”

“Lardence, you need to learn to enjoy life on tour more. You’re young, you’re single, you’re a fucking rock star!” Bono lectured, and Larry rolled his eyes. It was hardly the first time he’d heard this particular speech.

“He’s not so young any more,” Adam joked, “he is nearly thirty, after all. Practically ready for retirement.”

“Don’t you have any wild oats to sow, Lar? Things you need to achieve, things you want to try?” Bono continued.

“I do! I mean, I’m doing them. I just…” He bit back his words as Lacey joined them again, not wanting to have this particular argument in front of a stranger. “I’ll try to loosen up a little, as long as you all try to keep in mind what’s most important here. We made a promise to keep each other in line and not get sucked into the shite that ruins so many people in our positions, and I don’t mean to let that happen.”

With that, he drained his wine glass and set it back on the table, rising and bidding them all goodnight. Edge turned to Bono and with one look he could tell that his friend was making plans of some sort to convince Larry to live it up a little more. He wasn’t sure he wanted to know what they would be, either.

“I think it’s time for me to go to bed, too,” he said, accepting Lacey’s hand as she held it out to him and asked him to walk her to her room.

*******************************************************************************************

It was nearly three a.m. before Taylor made it back to the hotel, grocery bags in hand. She took the elevator up to the penthouse, where she found Adam and Bono chatting on the balcony. Everything was dark and quiet, otherwise.

“Where’s Larry?” she asked, trying to keep the irritation out of her voice.

“He went to bed, why?”

“He went…” Taylor couldn’t even finish the sentence, the words replaced by a strangled note of irritation. “Well, here’s the stuff you guys asked for, even if it wasn’t worth waiting up for.” She thrust the bags at Adam, who accepted them awkwardly.

“What stuff?” He wondered.

“The food, the list you had the … the stuff you had Katrina bring for me to fill.” She explained, her patience running so thin it was see-through.

“Oh, God!” Adam groaned, closing his eyes. “I’m so sorry,” he told her. “If she tries that again just tell her you don’t work for her, and I’ll deal with her.”

“She said it was for you guys, Larry included,” Taylor informed him, her eyes narrowing as she became suspicious about the circumstances of her late-night errands.

“Just… don’t take any messages that come through her. Larry wouldn’t send her, anyway.” Bono advised. Taylor scowled, irritated with the supermodel, irritated with the guys, and most of all irritated with herself for not suspecting as much from the moment she was handed that list.

“She has to realize people who work with us don’t work for her,” Adam added sheepishly before Taylor left him standing there holding the groceries she’d just wasted forty-five minutes getting for his girlfriend.

“You aren’t going to stay?” Lacey asked when Edge tried to tell her goodnight at her door.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea,” he told her gently.

“Edge… You know everyone is going to think we’re a couple now anyway – the tabloids always have celebrities practically married when they’ve been seen together. And despite what you think, I’m not a little girl.”

“I know,” Edge murmured as Lacey kissed him along his jaw line, and then caught his earlobe between her teeth. “Believe me, I know…”

“Then make love to me,” she whispered hotly in his ear. He moaned and slid his hands up and down along her spine, drawing her close and kissing her.

“It shouldn’t be like this,” he told her with a sigh.

“Then what should it be like?” she asked, her green eyes shining with desire, her voice full of need as she caressed his stubbled cheek with one hand and rested the other hand directly over his heart.

“I know we like each other,” he said, and she laughed bitterly, “A lot, ok? We like each other a lot. I think you’re – so, so beautiful, and the thought of being with you drives me crazy,” he told her, kissing her lightly between phrases. “but you should be in love with the man you’re with the first time. How can you already trust me when we barely know one another?”

The question was rhetorical, and Lacey knew she could not have given him an answer that would satisfy him anyway. Instead she licked her lips and batted her eyelashes at him, giving him her sexiest look.

“Earn my trust then,” she told him. “Come in – talk to me, be with me, give me a chance to fall in love with you. I promise to let you know if I get uncomfortable with anything, and you’ll stop, and I’ll know I can trust you.”

“And I’ll die of frustration!” Edge laughed good naturedly.

“Let me try to relieve that frustration. I don’t know how, yet, but you can teach me,” she told him, sliding her hand down from his chest and making it to the button on his jeans before he caught her wrist.

“What am I going to do with you?” he asked her, grinning as he studied her face thoughtfully.

“I have a few ideas,” she told him suggestively before she turned and unlocked her door, walking into the dark room and leaving the door open for him so all he had to do was step inside.

Last edited:
YESH!! NEW SG!!! JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED!!
Looks like I'm gonna have to have a sales meeting with this Katrina...:madwife:
Look forward to more~~~:D

Back
Top Bottom