No Secret At All - Chapter Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
A lot of the details of the Zoo TV tour have been/will be changed for the sake of the story. That’s why they call it fan FICTION :wink:
Disclaimer: although this story is inspired by real people, it is completely fictional. None of it happened. Even the things which are based loosely off reality have been changed/altered for the sake of the storyline. Please don’t mistake any of this for reality or take it seriously – it’s written for the sake of fun and entertainment. No harm intended. There will be some foul / offensive language and adult themes READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION

No Secret At All

Chapter Five

February 29, 1992

Edge seemed even more wired than usual in the hour before the show, pacing nervously back and forth and even bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet. Adam relaxed on the couch, one arm resting across the back, the other lifting a cigarette to his lips, and watched Edge with idle curiosity. Katrina sat beside him, running her fingers through his hair and frown prettily.

“You need to change your hair,” she told him, her voice absolutely dripping with her Eastern European accent – which seemed to Taylor to come and go depending on whom she was speaking to and how they reacted to it.

“What?” Adam asked, frowning at the super-model and then turning his attention to the nearly room-length mirror opposite the sofa they were seated upon.

“You need something funkier to match the others,” she told him. “This is too normal.” Larry snickered at the idea of Adam being the ‘normal’ one, stubbing out the remnants of the cigarette he’d been smoking before the tech began wiring him up with the earphones he would need to hear his band mates over the sound of the audience.

Bono, too, was amused at the thought. Before he could comment on it, however, Paul interrupted by bustling into the room in a flurry of nervous energy.

“That is one excited crowd out there, my boys. I believe you may have just out done yourselves this time!” He announced, nodding in agreement with his own statement. None of the men had much to say in response – after all, they hadn’t done anything yet. The opening act had just started to warm up the crowd. The stage set-up was only part of the show, after all – and if it overshadowed their performance, it was an idea that would be a categorical failure in the band’s eyes.

“What about the ticket I had you reserve?” Edge asked, nervously adjusting the knitted cap he had recently taken to wearing.

“Last I heard it hadn’t been picked up yet,” Paul informed him gently, as if delivering bad news to a child. “But I’ll check again right now.”

“Who do you have coming tonight?” Adam asked, his blue eyes narrowing as he studied his mate with new interest.

“No one, it looks like,” Edge replied, trying to sound breezy, as if he didn’t care one way or another. The truth was that he had thought of hardly anything else all day. He couldn’t help but wonder if he had made the best decision the night before; yes, he was quite sure it was the right decision, but what if she decided to simply go out and find someone else? What if he never saw her again?

He didn’t like the thought of that. Even less did he like the fact that he was spending so much time and energy thinking about her. He was still reeling emotionally from his divorce, the last thing he needed was to get involved with the first girl who caught his eye. He had planned on focusing on music, putting all of his energy into this tour, really giving it his all. At the moment he should be concentrating solely on the show, but in truth it wasn’t even in the running for the first thing on his mind.

Bono shot his friend a sympathetic look and Larry frowned, concerned that none of the others seemed to be thinking about the concert they were about to put on; the considerably different show from anything they’d done before – in front of the biggest crowd they’d ever performed for. Was he the only one who hadn’t changed completely?
He flexed his hands into fists and released them, trying to relieve some of the tension building in his shoulders and arms. It was going to be a long tour.

**********************************************************************************************

When Lacey arrived at the ticket window, she was greeted by a big man in a security uniform and another man in a suit. For a moment, she thought she had done something wrong – then she thought there must be a mistake, because they were leading her into the arena via the security/emergency lane which kept the crowd at a safe distance from the stage and left room for passage on either side of the floor. She had been given a special access pass by the man in the suit, who introduced himself as Paul McGuiness, U2s manager, and the security guard was taking her up where she would watch the show from directly in front of the stage.

She was overwhelmed, although not entirely unused to special treatment. She had certainly not expecting to be treated as anyone important tonight, she was just happy to be able to attend a concert which had sold out months ago. The opening act had already performed and the roadies were setting the stage up for U2 as she stood between the crowd and the stage, staying towards the left hand side where she knew Edge would be. She let her head drop back against her shoulders as she looked directly overhead at the cars which were dangling, suspended over the stage for some reason unknown to her. The tower of TV monitors was massive, and as the lights dropped and the screens flickered to life she felt as if she had been plugged in; electricity flowing through her from head to toe. The anticipation was both wonderful and terrible; bliss and torture.

The entire crowd seemed to be holding their breath as the image of George Bush appeared. They listened and watched with the wide-eyed wonder of a child on Christmas eve seeing Santa Claus.

“We Will… We Will… rock you.” The edited clip of the President said. The crowd roared to life, and it felt almost as if the entire arena was airborne, buoyed on the excitement and enthusiasm of the crowd. Lacey realized she was smiling so hard that her cheeks were beginning to ache, but she couldn’t stop if she had wanted to.

“I'm ready
I'm ready for the laughing gas
I'm ready
I'm ready for what's next
I'm ready to duck
I'm ready to dive
I'm ready to say
I'm glad to be alive
I'm ready
I'm ready for the push
The cool of the night
The warmth of the breeze
I'll be crawling 'round
On my hands and knees” Bono’s voice cut through the noise of the audience, slightly distorted and mechanical, but as powerful and beautiful as always. Lacey was high on the thrill of it all, but more than anything it was the sight of Edge that made her heartbeat race. He was somehow even cuter on stage than she remembered him, though they had parted ways just that morning.

She watched the way he played that guitar and felt the heat of desire simmering in her belly. He was capable of passion – she couldn’t watch the way he moved, the way his face contorted, the ways the muscles in his arms tensed or the way his hands could be both gentle and rough at the same time and doubt that he was perhaps the most passionate man she had ever known.

When he saw her, his beautiful sea green eyes lit up and he smiled at her so brightly it was obvious he was happy to see her. After that he came to life in a whole new way; the music was still as perfect as it had been, but now he wasn’t just playing the songs but he was performing. Watching him strut and show off was intoxicating; it was hard for her to reckon this man with the sweet, considerate, almost shy man whom she’d met the night before.

“The Edge is on FIRE!” Bono declared at one point during the show, making the audience scream in agreement and Edge grin happily. Was it her presence that had brought this out? She’d always heard their shows were amazing – and she’d watched Rattle and Hum in the theater twice when it came out a few years earlier – but this show was so different… no, she was sure, this was not The Edge people had seen before. Whether she had anything to do with it or not, she knew she liked what she saw.

She also knew she wanted to see more.

I know it's been a long time, and this is a short chapter :reject: more soon. Promise!

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*
SG!!!! So fantastic to read your work again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love the way you're describing Edge!
:happy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom