No RSOC Meeting today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vienna_2_1408.jpg

adamswildhoney said:
Edgette, I like your gif in your sig!! where'd you get it from???

Thanks. :)

I found it today as I was searching for new Adam pics. It's from an interview U2 did at a L.A. radio station. :laugh:

:wave:

~J

adamswildhoney said:
That's awesome!! :lol:

*thinks that this is one of the biggest RSOC threads in awhile :hyper:

I think you're right...let's try and keep it going. :yes: We'll beat the Bono thread. :lol:

QUOTES

"It was like - throw out technology. Give us a microphone and a bit of tape and you do the bit in between."
Adam describes the simplicity of recording in the legendary Sun Studio, 1989.

"If you believe in a cause, you must be willing to put yourself on the line for that cause."
Explaining why U2 agreed to play in the war-ravaged city of Sarajevo on the ZooTV tour, 1993.

"It was a pretty special couple of years. I mean it was a pretty mad couple of years where reality and fantasy and everything got kinda mixed up big time."
Describing the atmosphere of the ZooTV tour, 1993.

"With that tour, I feel we really pushed ourselves to the limit. I know that we regained a lot of critical credibility; that's nice but to be honest that wasn't something that I really thought about very much."
Adam on the success of the ZooTV tour, June 1994.

Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude. - Adam

When you start out, you make one or two records that put you solidly in debt with the record company. Then, if your third record makes some money, you have to pay back at the record company, and if you're lucky, you have enough money to live for a year. Then, after that, the band is bigger, you have to expand your organization and do more professional shows, so you're sort of back in debt again. You never really catch up; for those first five years you're probably better off on the dole. - Adam
Although it's a confusing time, I think it is genuinely exciting. I think the world is filled with possibilities at the moment. - Adam, 1993

"It's taken us fifteen years to get an image together, or indeed to realize that image is important. And not important."

"I like the anonymity of being able to seek out things and reel them back to
my life, and then be able to create from that."

"Why Berlin? I can't really remember back that far!"

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude."

Q: What do you do with the money you would have spent on drinks?
Adam: "I buy socks."
Q magazine, 2000

continued

"In America, Bill Clinton represents the changing generations. I think it's very important coming at the end of this century, people who have control over our lives are people you'd actually like to sit down and talk to."

"Every band needs someone like Bono in it. When you join a band you don't know who's good at what. I'm really pleased that Bono took the job that he took and that I took the job that I took."

"I think bootlegs are something that's very difficult to stop. There are fans out there that want to buy them. I don't like overpriced bootlegs that are ripping the fans off. If they're good quality recordings of a show then I'm happy enough that people have access to those things."

"How many people really have friendships that have survived 20 years. I value it and think it's an amazing achievement."

"I certainly like looking at the Spice Girls."

"Be careful what you set your sights upon because it just might happen."

"I don't know what will happen to Hanson when their voices break."

"I'll tell you, you learn a lot about women from dressing up in women's clothes! You learn that when a woman asks you "Do I look alright?" what she's really saying is "I have just spent a lot of time making myself uncomfortable. If I go out in this condition will I look foolish, or is it worth it?". When you ask a woman to go out to dinner it's not like seeing one of your mates. She has to stop and think, "Hmm, dinner. That will be four hours of being uncomfortable." And if she says yes and then after four hours you say, "Lets go dancing, let's go to a club," and she says "No, I want to go home," it's because she has figured on four hours and now those four hours are up and she can only think of getting home and out of those clothes!"

"Our commitment was to a better way. We could have our own gang and not put up with the rest of the world."

"I would say POP is based on my musical style."

"You know, one or two members of the band could've said, 'Look, guys, I'm happy to do the record, but I don't wanna tour. I wanna stay home and get on with my stamp collection' or whatever, and then we'd have had to look at the record in a different way."

(about POP): "The accordions and mandolins were left behind."

"I don't really like hanging out with musicians. Talking about Peavey amps is not my thing."

"I don't really operate on that level very often- but I'm glad somebody notices that I'm well turned out." [From the chat on U2's Official Website, in response to a question about being well dressed]

"Men should not be forced to wear pants when it's not cold."

Question: If a Martian landed and was introduced to you and asked you what do you do, what would you say? Adam: I simulate love-making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."

Question: "Adam Clayton, what is more important, the sun or the moon?" Adam: "The sun, because it brings life and a new day."

"I just wasn't prepared for the establishment to write me off just because I didn't fit into their academic concept."

"Individually we probably wouldn't have gone anywhere musically. Without any one of us, the fragile uniqueness and special quality of U2 would be gone forever."

"Nobody knows how it works, you turn the music up as loud as you can and hope people like it."

"We're a bunch of noisy, rough Irishmen that are arrogant enough to drag their tails all the way around the world, and I think that's something to be proud of."

more

"I don't know what will happen to Hanson when their voices break."

"Bono would search for that higher state, improvising lyrics on the microphone, allowing the words, the feeling -- at it's best the ecstasy -- take hold."

"It's taken us fifteen years to get an image together, or indeed to realize that image is important. And not important."

"Part of the attraction of the band is that there is an integrity there, an honesty that comes over, and I also think there is an understanding that U2 are inevitably going to strive for the best thing they can possibly do when they make a record, that are made essentially for us with the belief that the audience will enjoy them as much as we ultimately will."

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude."

"Every band needs someone like Bono in it. When you join a band you don't know who's good at what. I'm really pleased that Bono took the job that he took and that I took the job that I took."

"I think bootlegs are something that's very difficult to stop. There are fans out there that want to buy them. I don't like overpriced bootlegs that are ripping the fans off. If they're good quality recordings of a show then I'm happy enough that people have access to those things."

"How many people really have friendships that have survived 20 years. I value it and think it's an amazing achievement."

"I certainly like looking at the Spice Girls."

"Be careful what you set your sights upon because it just might happen."

"In America, Bill Clinton represents the changing generations. I think it's very important coming at the end of this century, people who have control over our lives are people you'd actually like to sit down and talk to."

"I would say POP is based on my musical style."

"You know, one or two members of the band could've said, 'Look, guys, I'm happy to do the record, but I don't wanna tour. I wanna stay home and get on with my stamp collection' or whatever, and then we'd have had to look at the record in a different way."

"Men should not be forced to wear pants when it's not cold."

"We're a bunch of noisy, rough Irishmen that are arrogant enough to drag their tails all the way around the world, and I think that's something to be proud of."

"Individually we probably wouldn't have gone anywhere musically. Without any one of us, the fragile uniqueness and special quality of U2 would be gone forever."

"What happens is like you get so big that you can't write a diary. So you hire a film-crew to remind you of where you've been and what you've done."

"And if it doesn't work, we'll just blame Eno."

"I think women are the stronger sex. I don't think it's necessarily putting women on a pedestal, but I think it's acknowledging that women are stronger and you need their support and companionship to help you realise your potential as a man. That's an unusual theme in rock & roll. Rock & Roll is usually....[very macho]..yeah"

"I think if you're going to get into rock and roll you've got to be perfectly sure that from that day you start doing it, you know what you want and where you're going."

"Nobody knows how it works. You turn the music up as loud as you can and hope people like it."

"I just wasn't prepared for the establishment to write me off just because I didn't fit into their academic concept."

"Y?know, we go to night clubs, we?re always hearing and seeing the best everywhere around the world and you kind of bring that home with you and we just sorta felt that y?know we could do a club that was exciting and interesting to people and had a--had a broad music policy. I suppose it?s just because we want to go to our own place rather than roam around the city."

Back
Top Bottom