New pic of Bono at court in Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=8740&pt=e

In 2000, she put up her U2 memorabilia, including an album sleeve signed by Bono, for sale at Sotheby`s because she was in financial difficulties.

She said she only raised a few hundred pounds and did not receive any objections from the band until she placed the remaining items for sale at Christie`s in 2002.

hmmm. I do love a riddle. LOL(a)

The band said they were taking proceedings against Ms Cashman to recover the memorabilia worth €5,000 (£3,300), because she was trying to blackmail them.

They are also seeking around 200 Polaroid photos taken by Ms Cashman.

This kind of comment doesn't make sense. How is Lola blackmailing U2 by selling the items? Was the auction a threat? "If you don't do "blah" I'll sell your gear". or "See, I'm serious, I'll show everyone the polaroids just as easily as I will sell your hat"

or something.

PS I made these statement up. No facts, knowledge or truth involved. Lola Cashman did not speak, write or otherwise transmit these statements.

So in Rattle & Hum, when the boys come offstage right before the BBKing song.. and Bono & Larry are giving directions to the guys on what to do... there is a woman asking Bono to change his shirt... is this Ms Cashman?

ps - would love to see the photos too...

Dunno.

1b534357.jpg

This is Lola Cashman now.

beli said:

This kind of comment doesn't make sense. How is Lola blackmailing U2 by selling the items? Was the auction a threat? "

Go back a few pages; we discussed this. The timing of all of this is important:
She put the items up for sale; Christies contacted the band to confirm the authenticity of the items; the band said the items were not hers to sell; she threatened to publish the so-called tell-all book if they didn't agree to the provenance of the items; they didn't agree, and said they were not hers to sell. She published the book anyway. And then (maybe because the book was a failure?) put the items up for sale. Salt in the wound: they have sued. She is counter-sueing, in London, for defamation of character.

biff said:

Go back a few pages; we discussed this. The timing of all of this is important:
She put the items up for sale; Christies contacted the band to confirm the authenticity of the items; the band said the items were not hers to sell; she threatened to publish the so-called tell-all book if they didn't agree to the provenance of the items; they didn't agree, and said they were not hers to sell. She published the book anyway. And then (maybe because the book was a failure?) put the items up for sale. Salt in the wound: they have sued. She is counter-sueing, in London, for defamation of character.

Okay. I was reading this the other way - that the return of the items was to prevent a future or current blackmailing attempt.

If its an historical blackmailing incident, that has already eventuated, why is the blackmail attached to this case? This could have been a straight forward return of stolen property case.

Actually, I don't think the blackmail is officially attached to this case; I think it's Bono being too verbose. How strange is that?:wink:

biff said:
Actually, I don't think the blackmail is officially attached to this case; I think it's Bono being too verbose. How strange is that?:wink:

:lol:

I look forward to the rest of this case.

PS Wouldn't Larrys sneakers from 20 years ago stink? :huh:

beli said:

:lol:

I look forward to the rest of this case.

PS Wouldn't Larrys sneakers from 20 years ago stink? :huh:

They might have finally milded down by now.

Here's another amusing version of this story:

Bono sees mirth in ‘Elvis girth’ in courtroom showdown

By Caroline O’Doherty

BONO may have had a quarter of a million people eating out of his hand in Croker over the weekend but it was his own dietary habits that engrossed a courtroom yesterday.

At issue was the reason why the rock star had several pairs of the same black, high-waisted, three-quarter length trousers made up in different sizes.

“I don’t want to embarrass you,” began his inquisitor, barrister Hugh Hartnett, “but you put on a bit of weight.”

Bono wasn’t about to combust in red-faced shame.

He even saw a little mirth in his girth. “It happened to Elvis,” he said.

“So you put on weight,” Mr Hartnett repeated, not about to let Bono’s comedy act steal the show.

“Yessir,” he replied in the best southern drawl his Elvis impersonation skills could muster.

Mr Hartnett wasn’t amused. So, he continued, barely allowing time for the chuckling courtroom to regain composure, the singer wouldn’t need the smaller pairs anymore. “You would not want to be photographed bulging out of them.”

Bono disagreed. “I oscillate,” he said, instantly winning the hearts of every female in attendance.

Bono’s fluctuating waistline was about the only area of agreement in the legal battle which erupted over a former employee’s attempts to auction off pieces of band memorabilia, namely one pair of trousers, a stetson hat, a pair of $10 (€8.3) earrings and a Christmas decoration.

Their one-time stylist, Lola Cashman, who created their iconic look on their Joshua Tree tour in 1987, claimed the band gave her the items on the last night of the tour. Bono said they never gave away items from their working wardrobe as they were retained for future shows, photo shoots and films.

Bono rejected the idea of the aftermath of the final show as an orgy of celebration during which he might have given his hat away.

On the contrary, insisted Cashman: “He was running around in his underpants with his hat on.”

Hopefully it was during his small trouser phase.

biff said:

On the contrary, insisted Cashman: “He was running around in his underpants with his hat on.”

Hopefully it was during his small trouser phase.

:lmao:

And a Christmas decoration? Thats a new item to me. That makes about 209 items listed in this return of 4 items. :wink:

beli said:

And a Christmas decoration? Thats a new item to me. That makes about 209 items listed in this return of 4 items. :wink:

But was his hat resting on his "small trouser phase" (hopefully not too precarious a perch)? And was the Christmas decoration some sort of "dangly bit"? :D

Truly, this just gets better and better.:wink:

Way too easy to make jokes! (Poor wee ocsillating Bono!)

biff said:

But was his hat resting on his "small trouser phase" (hopefully not too precarious a perch)? And was the Christmas decoration some sort of "dangly bit"? :D

Truly, this just gets better and better.:wink:

Way too easy to make jokes! (Poor wee ocsillating Bono!)

Bono was wearing his boots though. It was only Larry that removed his shoes and his bible for the festivities.

biff said:

I don't know if you actually read her "book", but she complained endlessly about having to perform her job, because it was so hard and demanding. But all she did was shop and clean up after the guys (and occasionally see them naked). Yep, just like a mum.

I didn't read it, I read your review. Just like I'm not going to read that Saint or Sinners book either.

All jobs suck sometimes and some jobs suck all of the time. I don't imagine her job would have been that stressful. It's not like she was working on an oil rig or sumfin.

Did she complain about seeing them naked? Which ones did she see naked? Any pics? oops. I didn't say that, did I?

beli said:

Did she complain about seeing them naked? Which ones did she see naked? Any pics? oops. I didn't say that, did I?

She saw them all naked, and Bono and Larry wrestling(!)
She did say that one of them was rather more well-endowed than the others, and I'm sure you are convinced which one that would be, aren't you? (McGuinness, obviously :drool: )

She mentioned one of them was more well-endowed than the others? Classy. :|

Bono and Larry were wrestling? Naked? In a mud pit? lol. What an odd thing to write about. Did she actually mention the clothes in this book?

beli said:

Bono and Larry were wrestling? Naked? In a mud pit? lol. What an odd thing to write about. Did she actually mention the clothes in this book?

Apparently just the lack of them.

beli said:

They were wrestling over underwear, apparently. Larry thought Bono was putting on his (Larry's) underwear, and he didn't take kindly to the idea.
And yeah, she talked about the clothes endlessly, in a completely unimaginative and uninspired way. Mostly it was about shopping, and how difficult her job was. Sigh.
Yeah, give me a few thousand to spend on rock stars' clothes, and just you hear me complain about it, godammit!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom