New pic of Bono at court in Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thought you might like this...Mmmm....

Celebrity Moment: Bono, the Stetson and the Christmas Bauble.

After listening to the Live-Line programme on this subject, I feel duty bound to point out the real reason behind the Four Court drama involving U2 and Lola Cashman. It really is NOT so much about a Steston, Christmas Bauble and some out-of-focus Polaroids. No, this showdown is taking place on a matter of Principle (Management). Lola never did anything to ingratiate herself in the U2 camp, and her unauthorized biography does nothing to redeem her. She was (allegedly) a good stylist who believes she saved U2 from the scourge of mullets and tight pants. One might say: good for her for holding onto her truth when challenged by a bunch of ‘yes’ men. But one would be wrong! The inside reality of the U2 corporation is really NOT at all sycophantic. U2 have high standards and respect their employees, so as such do not deserve this kind of nonsensical twaddle, which passes as a revelation. In her book Cashman can’t even put herself across in an endearing light. She reads as an unlikeable, manipulative character; who thinks it is interesting to read about Bono’s (alleged) insecurities. Amidst financial difficulties, items acquired by Lola went unceremoniously up for auction. Billed as collectable U2 memorabilia, little did she know that no one was going to be interested in a load of old PANTS, except Bono. Bono is a stickler for justice and this court case to retrieve certain items was the only legal approach possible in response to Lola’s antics. When Ms Cashman published her book, she was no longer bound by a confidentiality clause. So it must have stung not to have had control of such intimate accounts. But, Lola’s revelations are not only boring; they are totally unnecessary and private. It is NOT Bono who is petty in trying to retrieve his beloved Stetson; but Lola who thought it appropriate to sell her soul.

Aries: Guard against an unexpected hiccup if it is not part of your game plan. Family links overseas look positive. The return of someone unexpected forms part of your destiny. A delayed message will reach you. Do give a partner the benefit of the doubt. Keep celebrations straightforward and hold onto dignity.

Leo: Promotion and recognition at work are highly likely. Make your requests and put yourself forward in subtle ways. If you have been in a rut, now is the time to get things moving. Mercury is about to move retrograde in Leo for three weeks or so, beginning on 23rd. You will therefore need to be focused and careful.

Sagittarius: Expect a delay financially as work takes a while to reap rewards. Free-up your energies by leaving the past behind. Do not give any time to people who drain you or leave you uninspired. Understand your reasons for a recent decision and make sure you are being totally honest with yourself. Love looks up; to heaven!

Taurus: You are stronger than you know and can rise above emotional hurt, frustration and disappointment. More than one person has deceived you, or so you believe. But be careful not to get things out of proportion. Paranoia is not attractive, so don’t even go there! Give others the benefit of the doubt, for the moment.

Virgo: If you had to put your love life on hold don’t worry. What transpires shortly will more than compensate; and how! Don’t let a false sense of guilt hold you back. Be true to what you feel and things will pan out just fine. Keep centered and remain grounded. What can go wrong? The answer is now precious little. Claim victory.

Capricorn: Take control of your life. You do not need the advice of other people to make progress. Things go wrong when you stop trusting yourself and hand your personal power over. Victory is yours if you remain independent. Channel your impressive creativity into the future and things will come about in perfect time.

Gemini: Be independent and ditch your insecurities within complex relationships. Persist with work but keep things in proportion and try to leave stress behind. Be careful with money: think long term regarding investments and cash return. Your Ruler Mercury is retrograde as from 23rd, so keep your wits about you.

Libra: You can still make a great impression where it counts; so use discernment and wisdom, for then your influence will be more productive. Be temperate, kind, and willing to listen carefully. Diplomacy is cool and opens doors. Watch out for hot headed reactions. Don’t get distracted by too much of the fun stuff.

Aquarius: Be practical and sensible. There’s more than enough to be getting on with. Keep your wits about you during this Retrograde Mercury phase. You also have Neptune Retrograde still going on, so it’s all up in the air just now! Enjoy NOT knowing what’s going to happen. Trust that things will fall perfectly into place.

Cancer: You need to make a move rather than wait politely. You may be a tad introspective though, so enjoy quiet times and relax. Don’t allow yourself to get worked up about insignificant nonsense. Keep your cool. Be comforted by the thought that there are no mistakes. We do what we do, and that’s that!

Scorpio: Appreciate the good aspects of your situation. You will notice that there are many reasons to be cheerful. If it can wait: let it be for the moment. You must be careful not to force yourself on anyone at present. Sit-back and let them come to you, and if they don’t…well then: that’s that! Be philosophical amidst loss.

Pisces: It is better to take action than let a situation fester. Spend quality moments with loved ones and speak up in the name of love: don’t falter! Frustrated communication may fudge the issue. With Mercury Retrograde coming up, you will need to hang in there and pay special attention to practical details and travel plans.

Wow, I'm impressed this thread is still going! Isn't the judgement tomorrow? Now that will be interesting!

Now, where's that donkey thread..........:tongue:

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=148357428&p=y48358y34

At the Circuit Civil Court in Dublin today, Judge Matthew Deery ordered Miss Cashman to return the items to the band within seven days.

He said he preferred the evidence of Bono, who told the court last week that he had not given her permission to take the items.

He noted in particular Ms Cashman’s unlikely description of the final night of the Joshua Tree tour in Arizona in December 1987, when she said Bono had given her the stetson hat while running around backstage in his underpants.

“It seems to me that Ms Cashman’s version of events, the giving of the hat, is unlikely to have occurred,” he said.

I wonder what happens to Lolas defamation claim now.

Did anyone read that article where she claimed that, when they first hired her, they used to communicate w/ her via notes they put under her door? If that's true, that is odd :huh:

I read it the other day but I can't remember where :der:

Queen Bee said:
I haven't really been caught up with this thread. Could someone give me a cliff notes version of what happened? :huh:

Lola knicked Bonos trousers, pants, earrings, 2 mugs, a sweatshirt, a hat, and a Chrimbo decoration a fan made. Larry changed his mind and confessed that he did actually give Lola his stinky blue sneakers and a bible. There are also 200 polaroids that U2 also want back from Lola. We, the people of Pleba, have not a clue as to the contents of said Polaroids so we have decided that they must be nudie photos, solely because thats what we want them to be.

The case was found in favour of U2. Lola also has a defamation case against U2 that is pended awaiting the outcome of this case.

from www.atu2.com:

U2 Herald 'Principled' Victory in Stetson Court Case

Irish Examiner, July 05, 2005

U2 said today they had taken their former stylist to court out of principle rather than because of the value of the goods she had taken.

The band sued Lola Cashman to recover Bono's iconic Stetson, a pair of metal hooped earrings, a green sweatshirt and a pair of black trousers, which she took without permission during the band's Joshua Tree tour in 1987.

In a statement, U2 said they were relieved the dispute had ended.

"This case was brought very reluctantly, in the context of a larger dispute which we never invited. The point of principle involved was of much greater significance to us than any item of memorabilia."

At the Circuit Civil Court in Dublin today, Judge Matthew Deery ordered Miss Cashman to return the items to the band within seven days.

He said he preferred the evidence of Bono, that he had not given the stylist permission to take the items, which were estimated to be worth around EU5,000.

He noted in particular Ms Cashman's unlikely description of the final night of the Joshua Tree tour in Phoenix, Arizona in December 1987, when she said Bono had given her the Stetson while running around backstage in his underpants.

"It seems to me that Ms Cashman's version of events, the giving of the hat, is unlikely to have occurred," he said.

Neither U2, who are playing in Poland tonight as part of their Vertigo tour, nor Ms Cashman were present for the judgment in Circuit Civil Court in Dublin today.

But U2 said in their statement that they wished Ms Cashman well in the future.

Ms Cashman had been personally hired by Bono in 1987 to replace their stylist who was on maternity leave.

During the two-day trial last week, Bono told the court Ms Cashman had a very good eye but was incredibly difficult for other crew members to work with.

She left the band in 1988 after they considered her price excessive, and went on to work as a stylist with George Michael and the Pet Shop Boys.

When she attempted to put the rock memorabilia up for sale, she received two letters from U2 lawyers in April 2002 seeking their return.

She started defamation proceedings against the band in the High Court in London.

Judge Deery said today he did not accept her claim that U2 had brought the case solely to stop defamation proceedings.

He added: "It appears therefore the outcome of these present proceedings in Ireland will substantially determine the outcome of the issue in the English courts."

He said it seemed, from documents presented to the court, that U2 were an extremely successful band who had sold out all the tour dates for their Joshua Tree Tour in 1987, as well as their current Vertigo tour.

"It would seem odd if the group were to make a provision to pursue a claim of this nature if the subject was not of importance to the band," he said.

The court had heard that U2 considered the items to be part of their working wardrobe and wanted to keep them for storage in their archives or for donation to museums such as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, USA.

Judge Deery recounted Bono's remark that the Stetson hat in particular had an iconic status and that giving it away would be ridiculous.

"It would be like the Edge giving one of his guitars away. It is not something which will happen," said Bono.

Judge Deery said Ms Cashman had claimed that the pair of black trousers and the green sweatshirt had been given to her by Bono from a trunk because they were about to be disposed of.

"It's highly unlikely that they were given in this way, and I feel the weight of the evidence is against the defendant's version of events," he said.

He said it was also very unlikely that Ms Cashman was given the pair of metal hoop earrings and a Christmas decoration as gifts by Bono.

He ruled that around 200 photographs taken by Ms Cashman on the Joshua Tree Tour should also be returned to the band, even though they were initially not part of the proceedings.

He said he was satisfied that they had been taken using film purchased by the band by Ms Cashman when she had unlimited access to her work as a stylist to intimate scenes such as band members dressing and undressing.

"There was an obligation on Ms Cashman to respect the confidentiality and to respect the dignity of the plaintiffs," he said.

Ms Cashman used much of the material to write a book, Inside the Zoo with U2, in 2003 which detailed the problems Bono had with his weight and trivial items such as missing teeth from guitarist The Edge's comb and food-stained white t-shirts worn by drummer Larry Mullen.

Judge Deery said there had been no mention of the giving of gifts to her by the band in the book.

He set a date for next Tuesday to decide on the issue of costs.

To Quote the famous Weird Al song "Jeopardy":

That's right Al--you lost! And let me tell what you didn't win: a twenty-
volume set of the Encyclopedia International, a case of Turtle Wax, and a
year's supply of Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat. But that's not all!
You also made yourself look like a jerk in front of millions of people! And
you brought shame and disgrace on your family name for generations to come!
You don't get to come back tomorrow! You don't even get a lousy copy of our
home game! You're a complete loser!!

beli said:

We, the people of Pleba, have not a clue as to the contents of said Polaroids so we have decided that they must be nudie photos, solely because thats what we want them to be.

So, it turns out to be true, then: "Intimate scenes such as band members dressing and undressing".:ohmy: Why didn't she just post some of them on the 'net? Bitch!

From the Irish Independant:

The Circuit Court President, Mr Justice Matthew Deery, also told her to
hand over a special Christmas decoration, 88 Polaroid pictures and 117 other photographs of U2 members taken during their Joshua Tree world
tour in the late '80s.

He said it had become apparent during the course of the hearing that
the group were also seeking the return of the Christmas decoration and
the photographs they had identified in a solicitor's letter of October

Bono had told the court the band always had its own cameras to check on how things looked. As stylist, Ms Cashman had gone into places where people were changing and her position was one of trust.

"Mr Hewson denied emphatically that he gave trousers and earrings to Ms Cashman but was not certain as to the sweatshirt and said he could have
given it to her," Judge Deery said.

I would LOVE to see this fan made Christmas decoration. :lol:

By the way, this green sweatshirt. Did Bono ever wear a sweatshirt onstage? I thought it was all waistcoats and baggy shirts back then?

He said he was satisfied that they had been taken using film purchased by the band by Ms Cashman when she had unlimited access to her work as a stylist to intimate scenes such as band members dressing and undressing.

you mean we won't get to see the grey underpants larry and bono fought over???:sad:

Golightly Grrl said:
If this woman is a stylist then I'm Coco Chanel! This is the woman who wants credit for creating U2's JT look? Homeless cowboys? Irish Boxcar Willies? My eyeballs should sue Lola Cashman for emotional distress!

And she may not be much of a stylist, but she does have a future writing fan fiction. Larry and Bono fighting in their skivvies? Edge and Adam wet and naked? Sounds like Pleban/U2 slumber party! I'll bring the salsa and chips!

:lmao: PLEBA girls rock!:rockon: You all are so smart and funny!

Homeless cowboys, Irish Boxcar Willies! :lmao:
Let's go for that look! What was she thinking?:coocoo:

When is this party?

Last edited:
browneyedgirl40 said:

:lmao: PLEBA girls rock!:rockon: you all are so smart and funny!

homeless cowboys, irish boxcar willies! :lmao:
let's go for that look! what was she thinking?:coocoo:

When is this party?

The party is March 2, 2007, my 40th birthday. I'd love to have a big bash with some of my favorite people, U2 and my beloved Plebans. A girl can dream can't she?

:hyper: So that was March 2, 2007, somewhere in Milwaukee? I'll be there!!:hyper:

kellyahern said:
Ms Cashman used much of the material to write a book, Inside the Zoo with U2, in 2003 which detailed the problems Bono had with his weight and trivial items such as missing teeth from guitarist The Edge's comb and food-stained white t-shirts worn by drummer Larry Mullen.

:giggle: Larry's a grub!

Same thing happens to me whenever I even think of wearing white.

Bono had weight issues?:eyebrow: He has always been a sexy slender(not skinny) man, which is perfect to me:love: I wonder if that is even true?:shrug:

Carmelu2fan said:
Bono had weight issues?:eyebrow: He has always been a sexy slender(not skinny) man, which is perfect to me:love: I wonder if that is even true?:shrug:

I vaguely remember something about that in the flanagan book. Bono was concerned that he looked fat in some of the pictures printed in the newspapers and had started jogging. does anyone else remember that???

I think B does have a tendency to easily gain weight if he doesnt take care of himself... I actually like him with a lilt bit o meat in the old bones... but let me see what it says on Flanagan's book...

Only fat references I found...

6tfpzn.jpg

6tfptx.jpg

Interesting!!!:ohmy: I would never have thought that Bono was insecure about his weight?:| Thank you Miroslava that was an interesting read!!!:up: I cannot belive Japan had a problem with feet on Edges face!!!:giggle: I know in the US we had a problem with the shirtless Boy on the U2 album cover, for what reason I do not know:shrug:

BonoFox1 said:

Michael Jackson!.............:reject:

Sorry but I remember reading that Michael Jackson wanted to but that big BOY backdrop the band used to use in th early days..

anyone remember that?

I'll look for that passage tomorrow, but yes, I remember :ohmy:

Miroslava said:

I'll look for that passage tomorrow, but yes, I remember :ohmy:

Here it is:

1. U2 once had a close encounter with Michael, and they've never forgotten it. In 1988 The Joshua Tree had sold fourteen million copies and won the Grammy for album of the year—beating Jackson's Bad. It may have startled Jackson, who did an elaborate production number at the show before the award was announced. (Adam had nipped out to go to the men's room and had to convince the guard on the door to let him back in—they had just called his band's name and he was supposed to be up at the podium.) After that Jackson got curious about U2. He invited them to one of his Madison Square Garden shows and to come backstage to meet him. They went—but when they were introduced to Michael they were startled to find he had a cameraman on hand to film the conversation. That was too weird for U2, who turned around and left.

When they got back to Dublin they got a message: Michael wanted to send a crew over to follow them around and film them working, playing, presumably eating and sleeping—so he could study them. That spooked our heroes even more.

Staring at the tabloid headlines now, Bono remembers the first indication that Jackson was interested in U2: over a decade ago there was a big blowup of U2's War album cover on display at the Hollywood Tower Records.

Word got back to the band that Michael Jackson had asked the store if he could have it when Tower was done with it. (The cover of War is a photo of a little boy, actually Guggi's younger brother.)[/list=1]

:yikes:

Back
Top Bottom