Need to know how to pronounce a name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter's name is Niamh.
I couldn't go to the POPmart concert because I was pregnant with her, so I gave her an Irish name!
I know, I know - how far does your fandom go!?!

Leeloo said:
Niamh how do you pronounce Niamh? :reject: That's an Irish name? I thought it was Argentinian! :shrug:

:lol: No, it's not Argentinian at all! It's 100 % Irish.

It's pronounced something like Neev...

In Irish legend she is the daughter of Manannan who entices Oisin to Tir Na n'Og, the Otherworld . She provided him with a horse so that he could return to briefly visit his old home.

Niamh - say Neev, or if you want to be really pedantic, it almost has 2 sylables - Nee- av - soft on the v, making it almost like an f, and say it quickly, not dragging the 2 sounds/syllables out.

In legend, she was actually the daughter of the Sea-God, with long blonde hair and blue eyes, and she does entice Oisin ( say o-sheen), who was a very handsome and strong warrior, to the Land Of Eternal Youth.

There they lay around all day, feasting on the best of food and making love. They had 6 children from memory. Then one day Oisin says to Niamh, "I don't know how long I have been gone, but I must return to Ireland to see my father ( whom I believe was a mortal King)."

Niamh begs him not to go, but he insists. She then gives him a white horse to ride and says " Go if you must, but do not EVER get off the horse."

He goes back to Ireland and gets off the horse. The moment his feet touch the ground, he becomes a very weak, ill old man. He has been in The Land Of Eternal Youth for over 600 years. He dies and Niamh is left to weep for him for all Eternity.

That is just off the top of my head, the story when written down completely is some pages long, but the basics there are correct.

While we're talking about it...how about Saoirse? I just realized I had some of the letters mixed up in my head and now I'm really clueless! :reject:

Oh, while we are talking about nice names, any body got any boys names suggestions? Im pregnant and we have some girls names to chose from but not many boys name.

beli said:
Oh, while we are talking about nice names, any body got any boys names suggestions? Im pregnant and we have some girls names to chose from but not many boys name.

Congratulations !:hug:

My son is named Landen Drake & I've also always liked Aidan, Neil, and Liam.

wow, a whole thread of names definitely not pronounced phoentically! I can empathize...or wait, they probably are never mispronounced where they live.....I loose again.

(TheWho4Life, where in MI do you live?)

(beli, name your hypothetical boy David, everyone everwhere can pronounce it and he will not hate you for it later!)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
wow, a whole thread of names definitely not pronounced phoentically! I can empathize...or wait, they probably are never mispronounced where they live.....I loose again.

:shifty: how do you pronounce your name?

arw9797 said:

:shifty: how do you pronounce your name?

muahaha, what you all think but never ask....

Lies = "lease", like Liesl in the Sound of Music!

and don't even THINK Lies is like "lies" b/c you are WRONG! :p

It's a Dutch/German name (I'm 100% Dutch) so "ie" auf Deutsch makes "eeeee" and "ei" makes "eye".

TheWho, I'm in college in Grand Rapids, lived here all my life.

EDIT: in all my life I've met ONE other person with my name. Anyone read Politically Correct Bedtime Stories? Yeah, his wife is a Lies.

Last edited:
TheWho4Life said:
Traverse City, where the cherry festival is every year lol. Do you kno wwhat the Cherry festival is?

Sort of. I mean, I've never been to it, but I've heard of it and I've been to Traverse City many times. There's someone down the hall that's from Traverse City.

beli said:

Congrats Beli! :D

Now, these are some of the names I like. I hope you find them useful! :wave:

-Liam
-Valentin or Valentino (no, and I don't like it because of the designer. That was my grandpa's name)
-Aidan
-Brendan
-Ryan
-Sean
-Santiago

and more I probably forget at the moment...

Thanks but you are also proving my point that a lot of nice boys names end in "n" eg
Valentin and Landen both of which I havent heard before but are beautiful

My last name is Ireland-Johnston so names that end in "n" are out eg Valentin Ireland-Johnston sounds like to many ns. Fantastic names though.

(PS Neil is my brothers name so thats out too)

lol, actually Sault Saint Marie is farther from me than Indy, Chicago, Cleveland, or Detriot! I've been up there though, to the Soo Locks.

beli said:

:cute: Congratulation beli!

... not that I'm trying to promote my own little corner of the world :wink: but have you considered a Scandinavian name?! :D

I'll be back later with suggestions if it has your interest :wink:

beli said:

I've always liked the name Daniel

And I :heart: the name Alexander. It's my brother's name :up:

I always said if I ever have a son he would be called Joshua Alexander :yes:

Back
Top Bottom