Mysterious Ways, part 2: can you put into words...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
...exactly why U2 means so much to you??? I'm thinking I better start carrying a notepad around with me because new reasons are forever popping out of nowhere and everywhere. So here are only a few...to start:
wink.gif

• U2 are my contemporaries; they are my age. The paths their lives have taken somewhat reflects my own (even if I didn't do the 'rock star' thing)
  • OMG. Bono's lyrics. I've never had any other type of prose touch me like they have. This could be a thread in itself!
  • They are very strong in their faith in Christ without shoving it down everyone's throats. Including Adam's own. I dig that.
  • They've made the word 'monogamy' respectable again, and I, in turn, respect them even more for it. Sure, I'd love to snog 'em, but I'm happy they won't! (even my dreams are clean when they're in 'em!)
  • All the little things that came together in their favor: their backgrounds; their personalities; the changing musical "times", finding Paul McGuinness...
  • They're just really GOOD guys. Or so I hear.
    smile.gif
  • just a minor point, but OMG, THEY'RE THE BEST LOOKING BAND ON THE PLANET!!!!(maybe ever)

Come on, gals...you know you want to...so let the gushing begin!

Disco

Cool thread ! I like them because:

-The lyrics, the intensity of the songs...i cannot really describe the feeling. their songs can me make feel so joyful, or sad,etc..

-Their amazing live performances...they give it all.

-Their sense of humor

-They are not afraid of change..

- They seem like genuinely nice guys who care about their fans

- They are devoted to their families

-They are hot !!! They all have their own style; they don't have a cookie cutter look.

[This message has been edited by Naya (edited 09-09-2001).]

That's the problem -- I CAN'T put it into words.

Maybe one --
RELEVANCE.

*Mona's important moment of dignity is ruined because she doesn't know if that's spelled right*

Also Bono is a hot tamale!

------------------
~*Mona*~
"I'd like to thank you for letting me rub up against you!" ~Bono~

"I can't change the world
But I can change the world in me"

My reasons:

First off, God has used their music to open my eyes to a lot of things. Their music keeps me accountable that I'm doing things because that's what I feel I'm compelled to do, not because the rest of the Christian community tells me that's what I should do. They've taught me a lot about faith. They've been a very important tool that God has used for my faith. They haven't been the only tool, of course, but they've been a significant part of it.

I also believe they've set an example for rock. They've proved that it is possible to be a rocker and not give in to the crappy lifestyle of drugs, booze, women, etc. It is possible to be a rocker and still keep your morals and your faith and stay on the right path.

The lyrics are deep. They actually mean something. They have significance, unlike some other songs by so many other artists out there. Like someone else already said, RELEVANCE. Like Disco said, no other form of poetry has touched me like this.

They function like a mirror. They take a situation, tear it apart, analyze the crap out of it, throw it back together and toss it back in your face. U2 is a band that provokes thought and consideration. They are brutally honest about themselves and about the world, and they incourage the world to do something about it.

All in all, there's no other band in the world like them. BTW, Disco I hope you don't mind my asking, but are you a Christian? I thought I was the only one.

Oh, and one last reason before I forget:
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

band46.gif

They're the sexiest bunch of guys in the world! Look at 'em! *drool*
biggrin.gif

------------------
"From an artist's point of view, failure is where you get your best material." -Bono

My feeble attempt at a website:
Rattle And Hum

I AM Bonovoix!
biggrin.gif
Tho I readily admit that my deeds/actions/words don't always show it, I need to work on that (also why I tend to have a *squinch* of a problem with U2 - esp. their language and Bono's on-stage antics, OY!!!) I don't care how much of an 'agreement' he and Ali have about that, it's still...bothersome.
tongue.gif
I think if too much temptation is constantly shoved in your face, one day, you WILL cross that line. It's human nature. Just my 2 cents. It does certainly make me wonder after Adam, too, you know?? Like: 25 years later, who's influencing whom???
confused.gif
confused.gif

I may never see them in concert (depending on tickets, etc.) and I may never meet them in this life, but I am SO looking foward to meeting them AFTER this life!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(which will be about the same time I'll finally get to sing my heart out without embarrassment, hehehehe)

Okay, enough preaching for today!!! (perhaps this should go in that other forum?)
smile.gif

Discoroonie

Originally posted by Bonavoix:
My reasons:

First off, God has used their music to open my eyes to a lot of things.

BTW, Disco I hope you don't mind my asking, but are you a Christian? I thought I was the only one.

Originally posted by Bonavoix:
They function like a mirror. They take a situation, tear it apart, analyze the crap out of it, throw it back together and toss it back in your face. U2 is a band that provokes thought and consideration. They are brutally honest about themselves and about the world, and they incourage the world to do something about it.
oo! I like that!

Also U2 music is a great way to kinda channel religious thoughts etc. The ppl I talked to that went to elevation here said that they walked out and it was like they had just seen God or something -- like there's so much spiritual content in the songs that it's like a conversion. Heavy stuff!

Also to me music that's strictly religious gets a little weird, almost like you're expected to be confident about any kind of faith at all times. And U2 is about confidence, but it's also about it being ok that not everything's 100% and we don't know all the answers -- and we're all human and naturally we gotta say "wake up, dead man" or "Jesus can you take the time."

There's theories that WOWY is partly about faith, and that's fitting. It's just good not to be preached to, but also to have something / someone that will share opinions about faith and say that you're not a complete MacPhisto if you don't believe in what ppl think you should.

Not just the music either -- faith - generic faith - is about believing that you're not the best thing in the world, and that there's something bigger to be working for. And our boys have worked with governments and whatnot to help ppl who need it. I think that's a product of faith.

OMG!!!!!!!! I have to call the ppl in my social justice project group now!!!!!!
smile.gif

In this whole post not once did I mention Bono's pants! I mean.....

------------------
~*Mona*~
"I'd like to thank you for letting me rub up against you!" ~Bono~

"What you don't have you don't need it now. What you don't know you can feel it somehow."

It's good to know that there's somebody else here besides me who's a believer. If you wanna email me and we can chat about this...
biggrin.gif
I know I'm not the best example here either... but I can't help it.
smile.gif

bonavoix@hotmail.com

------------------
"From an artist's point of view, failure is where you get your best material." -Bono

My feeble attempt at a website:
Rattle And Hum

Well lets see....how to put this into words.....
biggrin.gif

It's been a 15 year love affair ...(did Disco say something about gushing)
wink.gif

#1 Bono.....no matter how much into the other three(god I hate it when people refer to them that way!!!)I get, he was the real reason for my falling in love with this band from Ireland. NO matter how over the top and sometimes down right cheesey he can be, I will always have the utmost respect for him......I've grown up listening to this man's words....his art has effected me practically my whole life.

#2 They try to show us a world that we may not see every day, but a world that we can have a positive effect on,even in the smallest way.

#3 They rock....the music, it's all about the music....anyone who thinks it's not, listen to....The Fly,Gone,New York,BAD....need I go on....listen to any live version of Where The Streets Have No Name and your answer to why I love this band is right there!!!!!

#4 The connection....they treat their fans great ,and I have alot of admiration for them because of that.I think they respect us, and it shows!!!

#5 They are so f@#*ing HOT!!!!
(I didn't want to get too preachy!!!)
wink.gif

------------------
I'm just a singer,some say a sinner.Rolling the dice,not always a winner.
You say I've been lucky,well hell I've made my own.
Not part of the crowd,but not feeling alone.

----Two Shots of Happy One Shot of Sad-----

[This message has been edited by browneyedgirl (edited 09-10-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom