My mom says I'm obsessed, what does your family think??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kariatari

War Child
Tonight I told my mom about my quasi-plan to get a cardboard Bono (just like the cardboard Adam
wink.gif
). Although I think it would be pretty cool, I was mostly joking about it. Anyway, my mom tells me, "Kari, I think you're obsessed, and you need to get a life. You really do."
mad.gif

She thinks that I'm obsessed because she says I "bend over backwards" to send boots to other fans (How hard is it to send boots?! HONESTLY?!) and because somehow anything and everything somehow ties back to U2. (But it *does*!
wink.gif
).

Granted, I may be somewhat "obsessed", but I don't think it's an unhealthy obsession. It's not like I'm going out and spending my life savings on U2 memorabilia or spending every waking moment of my life drooling over pictures and desperately trying to find out what kind of toothpaste the band uses so I can experience what their mouths taste like!!
mad.gif
GRRR!! Now I feel self-conscious even listening to U2 albums. GRRR!!
mad.gif

Sorry, I just needed to vent really REALLY badly. I also want to know what your family thinks about your "obsession". Thanks for listening!
smile.gif

my mom is the WORSE!! not only does she constantly ridicule me about U2, SHE'S the one to bring it up!! she's fookin confrontational these days. And it's not joost U2, its anything i like. she thinks Bono sucks and never hesitates to tell me so. It's gotten to a point where I act hyper-obsessed joost to show her I DONT GIVE A FOOK WHAT SHE THINKS!!!!

wow.....

*breathes*

[/venting]

------------------
"I retain the right to act like a hormonal teenager because i am one!!!" ~~~ Laura

AIM: Rattle n Hum 02

peace out \\//

Mom:

if yer checkin the history these days...I DONT CARE, you can read all of this I DONT CARE!!!! so maybe I'm not into the most normal of teenage things, but at least i have SOMETHING bigger than myself to look up to!!! who are you to point the finger?!?! when's the last time YOU did something to try and make the world a better place?!?!

grrrRRRRRRRR

ok, I think I'm really done now.

------------------
"I retain the right to act like a hormonal teenager because i am one!!!" ~~~ Laura

peace out \\//

sorry, one more:

i replied above before i even read the original post, lol! I think yer mom and mine should get together for lunch!

anyway, i know what ya mean about the boots. live music is my particular U2 mini-obsession. whenever my dad sees me he says "whatcha doin? gonna burn more CDs today?" or something equally smartass.

I've found the best way to get by is totally ignore my parents. I don't respond to their comments, I'll never stoop to their level. Consequently, our relationship sucks. I never tell them anything, or if I do, its the opposite of what i really mean. But that's the price I'm willing to pay to get them off my back. They live thinking I'm something I'm not and hopefully I won't be around the day they find out what I really want...

------------------

peace out \\//

Awww, I'm sorry about your relationship with your parents, LivLuv.
frown.gif
I think I would get pretty pissed if my parents told me that U2 sucked too. At least my dad kind of digs them, and even ganks my CD's once in a while.
wink.gif
And overall, my mom has been pretty good about it. She was the one who got me U2 tickets and plane tickets to see them in Phoenix for my graduation gift. I think it just bothers me because she hasn't ever said that my "obsession" has gone too far until now.

I mean, I know I appear to have gone *completely* overboard to some people, but to my friends it's just something that I have a lot of fun with - a hobby if you will. They tease me about being obsessed, but it's all in good nature. I think my mom is dead serious though.
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 05-19-2002).]

uh, my parents don't hate u2, but that's even worse! my dad tries to "connect" with me through them, and i don't like that! i feel far stronger about their music than my dad. he thinks every song is either on jt or atyclb. grrrr! he thinks we're close because of this, but i just ignore him! ah! i can't wait to get out of here!!! ahhh!
*goes crazy*

i'm an all or nothing kind of person, so his medium state of liking them drives me absolutely nuts. he thinks he knows stuff but he doesn't. and my mom just smiles and nods. grrrrrr!!!

It joost super-sucks b/c its not even U2 really, it's everything i do is never quite good enough even though i do great in school, never get into trouble, and have decent friends (((laura, ellen))). you'd think she'd leave me some room to be a complete phsyco about something, but nooooo...

the way i see it, there are MUCH MUCH worse things I could be into....

------------------

peace out \\//

I think I'm pretty obsessed. I mean I think I have EVERY U2 book ever written and obsess over U2 almost everyday, taping all their appearances and stuff like that. I think it's just being a devoted fan, but some others may think it's an obsession. I've SEEN obsession. I really don't care what other people think, I think Adam and Larry and Edge and Bono are THE sexiest guys I've ever seen and if someone disagrees fine, but if they call me "nuts" or pathetic, and some of my friends do, I just say, so what? It's my life, not yours, and *I* find them very sexy, it's my choice. They think Larry's a babe though, they agree with me on that LOL.

Originally posted by kariatari:

She thinks that I'm obsessed because she says I "bend over backwards" to send boots to other fans (How hard is it to send boots?! HONESTLY?!)

I've gotten the same thing. My mom questions B&Ping. Like, why spend so much time burning and then make me drive you to the post office?? haha

Obsession is mentioned a lot in my house. BS...

[edit] I used to really like The X-Files...
Me: Can I use your credit card to buy something online?
My dad: What?
Me: A U2 book.
My dad: Remember X-Files?
Me: That was kind of a tv show....
[/edit]

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

[This message has been edited by On The Edge (edited 05-19-2002).]

1. (((((((((Lies))))))))) oh, and while I'm at it, (((the rest of PLEBA))) too
biggrin.gif
...joost because I said so...

2. When it comes to U2, my parents just assume it's a phase, and don't ask. They put up with it in the car etc., but other than that they just kind of nod and smile. And when my mom (my dad knows better, methinks) says stupid stuff about me being a freak, I just tell her that I could be addicted to U2, or, if she'd rather, heroin. That usually shuts her up pretty quickly.
My friends bug me more about U2, but trust me, no one wants me to get into that...

------------------
"Well, it could have been an artichoke, but we wanted a more practical fruit." -Larry

AIM: LightMyWay02

My mom is pretty cool, she is a fan herself. It is my dad who doesn't really 'get into it'. I started talking about U2 and getting a little sad because we were driving past the Tacoma dome, where they played, and I was listening to a bootleg concert, and he was like "Uh.. I think you're being a little over-emotional"
rolleyes.gif
& anytime I try to talk to him about the music or the band, he's never very interested, so when I tell my mom that he wasn't (when we talk later on) he's like "Well all she does is talk about Bono!" Oh well ... My grandmother thinks I'm definitely crazy though. :p I used to jump around in my interests but I'm very into U2 now, yet she refuses to get me anything U2-related because she thinks it's a passing phase too. Ah, relatives.

------------------
-- Sara
the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind

[This message has been edited by littleheartsuitcase (edited 05-20-2002).]

My family makes fun of me, but it's in good nature. My father insists on pronouncing Bono "Bow-no" just to piss me off. My mother insists on moaning, "Oh now, it's BONO" everytime U2 comes on tv. And my brother goes into a prepared monologue about how U2 are a rip off of the Clash everytime I say anything about U2.

But it's in good fun.

------------------
Sunday all the lights of London / Shining, sky is fading red to blue / I'm kicking through the Autumn leaves / And wondering where it is you might be going to

Love,
Emily

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html" TARGET=_blank>
Emily's Wallpapers
</A>

My parents don't really think much of it...I mean after going to the studio a few times they're like "and they don't recognize you yet?!?!" and they're like tell them thank you for putting up with you but they love U2 and don't really think i'm obsessed with them...they put up with me really well
biggrin.gif

------------------
THE Larry Mullen Jr Page

Me: Bono do you know PLEBA?

Bono:*stares at me scared* ...Scary Girls!!

well they don't know about my thing for adam

thank god

my sister still thinks I have the hots for larry, and I intend to keep it that way. The less they know the better.

------------------
id love adam to perform for me..wearing only cologne and a smile

Well, some of my relatives condemned me and thought I was obsessed just for going to more than one concert, visiting U2 sites almost every day and keeping a couple of webpages full of Bono pics- they told me I had 'too much U2' and it was becoming an unhealthy obsession- until they read some of the things others on this site had posted, then they were like, 'oh dear Lord, I thought YOU were crazy!'
wink.gif
Now I'm tame by comparison, but they still don't excuse me
rolleyes.gif

------------------
~"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy,
I don't mind, think they're crazy
running everywhere at such a speed
'til they find, there's no need!
Please don't spoil my day,
I'm miles away,
and after all, I'm only sleeping!"~
John Lennon

My family likes to tease me about it, but they?re alright with it. One time when my mom was giving me crap, I told her that compared to people who have stupid hobbies like collecting beanie babies or travelling to every game some dumb pro sports team plays, I am quite normal.
biggrin.gif
That seemed to help her put it into perspective.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I told her that compared to people who have stupid hobbies like collecting beanie babies or travelling to every game some dumb pro sports team plays,

*raises hand* ...has been guilty of those too....
redface.gif

------------------
~"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy,
I don't mind, think they're crazy
running everywhere at such a speed
'til they find, there's no need!
Please don't spoil my day,
I'm miles away,
and after all, I'm only sleeping!"~
John Lennon

Message for Lies' mom:

"Be happy its U2 and Bono...would you rather she be obsessed with say, Slipknot or Rob Zombie? It could be worse, much worse."

As an obsessed fan who happens to be a mom, I think U2 is a pretty wholesome obsession considering the other choices out there.
smile.gif

I am about as obsessed as you can be without it being unhealthy...hehe...My mom is totally fine with it because she has been there. My dad thinks I'm weird and that I only like U2 because my mom does (as if!) and my younger brother just basically accepts it now. Sometimes I actually get the impression that he thinks my obsession is kind of cool, even though he's not really a fan himself...YET!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

My aunt and my mom both got me into U2, and now my aunt says that she created a monster.
tongue.gif
My mom, however, is just as obsessed.
biggrin.gif

My uncle and grandpa both treat me like I'm insane.
rolleyes.gif
No one makes fun of me for it, surprisingly enough.

------------------
"I dance much better horizontally than vertically." - Bono

Popheart.org

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 05-20-2002).]

I dont have a huuuuuuuuuge obsession with U2, just enough blah blah, but it dont bother me mammy..........she enjoys u2's earlier stuff and enjoys any U2 video I put in...................shes maybe said things about Bono's speeches....but I ignore that.....best I can do.......

But my mum ROCKS when it comes to U2!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by kariatari:
desperately trying to find out what kind of toothpaste the band uses so I can experience what their mouths taste like!!

LMAO ... It's scary that some people might actually do this.

My parents don't think I'm obsessed, though they do think it's a bit weird for someone who's almost 25 to be such a fanatic of a band. They tease me about listening to U2 all the time, watching videos and the Bono and Edge bears I made at the Build a Bear Workshop.

Thank goodness they don't know about PLEBA! LOL!

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

[This message has been edited by JessicaAnn (edited 05-20-2002).]

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
. One time when my mom was giving me crap, I told her that compared to people who have stupid hobbies like collecting beanie babies

LMAO! My mum collects those. Whenever she gives me crap about my U2 stuff I always fight back with the beanie baby arguement.
biggrin.gif

Her worst habit is critizing my boot collection by saying "but aren't all the concerts the same?"
rolleyes.gif

However she has said that next tour she will come to a show with me as she does like the music, that should convert her.
wink.gif

Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic:
It joost super-sucks b/c its not even U2 really, it's everything i do is never quite good enough even though i do great in school, never get into trouble, and have decent friends (((laura, ellen))). you'd think she'd leave me some room to be a complete phsyco about something, but nooooo...

the way i see it, there are MUCH MUCH worse things I could be into....

AMEN TO THAT!! i don't know why they complain! i work really hard in school and all my sports. the worst is my sister though. she says shes a fan, but only has atyclb. then when i want to listen to them in the car, she says she's sick of them. we always fight because i'm constantly on the computer talking to you fine people. my parents know about "a message board", but definatly not pleba specifically. they'd go crazy!

but i should really stop stressing because no matter how obsessive i may be, i could be (as ellen stated) addicted to heroin instead. that and i ENJOY BEING OBSESSED!!! it give me something to do which is way fun. that and i have met some really cool people (all of YOU).

[/rant]

my mom loved U2. she took me to my first U2 show and equally shared the love in their music. she was so bitter that i didn't take her to the show i went to during Elevation. she loved Bono and was always saying how cute he is. before i get teary eyed...i'll move on to my dad...

my dad also enjoys U2. he likes the Edge because he went bald at a young age (my dad went bald young too). he likes Larry because he works out....needless to say, my dad was quite surprised at the size of Larry's arms during the Super Bowl half-time. he owns his own copy of Joshua Tree and plays it quite a bit. next U2 show i go to, i'm taking my dad with me!

------------------
xoxo,
chelsea

i'm looking through your window
i'm walking through your doorway
i'm on the outside, let me in....let me love you.

you said... maybe... said I want to have your baby...BABY
we could make something beautiful
something that wouldn't be a problem
at least not in... miami

I can't change the world,
But I can change the world in me.
I REJOICE!!

Originally posted by On The Edge:
I've gotten the same thing. My mom questions B&Ping. Like, why spend so much time burning and then make me drive you to the post office?? haha

Obsession is mentioned a lot in my house. BS...

[edit] I used to really like The X-Files...
Me: Can I use your credit card to buy something online?
My dad: What?
Me: A U2 book.
My dad: Remember X-Files?
Me: That was kind of a tv show....
[/edit]

lol, it's so funny that you mention that coz I used to be a big X-files freak and my mom though I was really crazy buying all these books, tapes and posters (did you watch the finale? I was a little dissapointed though it was the only episode I saw this year...) For some reason she's more tolerant of my U2 obsession probably coz she likes Bono, she says that "he's attractive and he has an interesting face." I just say he's hot
wink.gif
She does think it's crazy that I need to get 30 different versions of the same song though...

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

I recently bought an autographed pic of the lads, and I was really excited so I showed it to my dad (lord knows why!). He kind of half-heartedly looked at it and asked, "So, how much did that cost?" and I said, "Um...50 bucks. But it was a REALLY good deal!" and he just kind of rolled his eyes and walked away. It's all in the body language, 'cos he doesn't usually SAY anything!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

My mom really likes them. My dad and her went to one of the Montreal shows and were standing up for 95% of the time ! She also tried to find them with me when they were in town so I could meet them. And she sometimes helps me classify all my photos of them, telling me which ones she finds the hottest. hehe.

My dad likes them too but gets annoyed when I start screaming when U2 is on tv. Hehehe.

------------------
The sunshine bores the daylights out of me
Chasing shadows moonlight mystery

My Photo Albums

My parents are all right, they were Beatlemaniacs, so they understand a bit. They do think it's silly to be on a forum about them! grrrness
When I was at the eye-doctor a few days ago, I did something so crazy! You know how they show you those letter charts and ask you to read the letters? Well, there was a really big line, and in the middle I thought it said B O N O so I spit it out SO fast! The lady looked at me funny, and then she checked my perscription (it was like the biggest line!) and I looked back up there and it said
B O N C. LOL!!! So yeah, I may be obsessed.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Foadie (edited 05-20-2002).]

rotfl foadie
biggrin.gif

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

Back
Top Bottom