My mom says I'm obsessed, what does your family think??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
Message for Lies' mom:

"Be happy its U2 and Bono...would you rather she be obsessed with say, Slipknot or Rob Zombie? It could be worse, much worse."

As an obsessed fan who happens to be a mom, I think U2 is a pretty wholesome obsession considering the other choices out there.
smile.gif

Yay Char! I am definitley telling my mother this the next time she starts in on me!
'Cept Slipknot frightens me beyond belief...I don't know if I can say that out loud and not start weeping...
wink.gif

*edit joost cause I'm a genius
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Well, it could have been an artichoke, but we wanted a more practical fruit." -Larry

AIM: LightMyWay02

[This message has been edited by Ultraviolet Light (edited 05-20-2002).]

Originally posted by lady lemonade:
lol, it's so funny that you mention that coz I used to be a big X-files freak and my mom though I was really crazy buying all these books, tapes and posters (did you watch the finale? I was a little dissapointed though it was the only episode I saw this year...)

mel, that's so funny! i'm totally the same way. i was really obsessed for about 4 years, but the finale was the first episode i saw this year. i, too, was dissapointed at it. o well, i still have my fav episodes to fall back on (freak show, stephen king, vampire one, etc). good show.

U2 ROCKS! heh...now it's not filed under the random folder.

Originally posted by lady lemonade:
(did you watch the finale? I was a little dissapointed though it was the only episode I saw this year...)

I liked it. It was the only episode I saw this year too.
smile.gif

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

My Mum is really cool when it comes to U2. She even bought me a heart shaped cushion for my Birthday. She said she thought I'd like it because of U2 having the heart shaped catwalk. How cool is that? Sometimes she watches my U2 videos with me when she happens to be in the room. She was watching Rattle and Hum with me the other day. She asked when it was filmed and when I said 1988 she said "Did The Edge have any hair back then?" I pointed him out and she says in a surprised voice - "ooh, he's even got a ponytail
biggrin.gif
. And she let me borrow a lot of money off her to buy rediculously over priced tickets for Slane from a ticket broker as well. I love my Mum!

My Dad quite likes them as well. He loves "New Years Day." And he says BTBS is a clever song. He does like to wind me up about them though, as does my brother. But they're just trying to annoy me.

Originally posted by Jody:

Her worst habit is critizing my boot collection by saying "but aren't all the concerts the same?"
rolleyes.gif

My Mum said this when I wanted to go to more than one concert. There are some things she just doesn't get
wink.gif

Haha! This is way funny because about last fall I started to get infatuated with the X-files.
eek.gif
I didn't watch much this season, mostly cuz Dogget REALLY bothered me and cuz it kinda went downhill with no Mulder. (Gotta admit that that's a part of why I love the show - Bono is number one on my list, but David Duchovny is number two!
wink.gif
)

Anyway, I rather liked the finale. I think they ended it well because they revealed some of the conspiracy, but they managed to leave you with the feeling that the truth is STILL out there. It's great because now you can go back and watch old episodes and still ejoy them without knowing *exactly* how it all ends. Besides, they are planning to make X-Files movies, so they kind of had to leave you hangin in the series finale.

LOL at this thread. I'm 25, so not living with my parents probably makes a big difference in whether or not they complain about my obsession. For the most part, my parents are pretty cool with it, and every time U2 is on TV, I have lots of relatives calling me. One even taped a four-hour long DirecTV special on U2 and mailed it to me as a surprise. The only thing bad is that my sister bitches if I talk about them too much, even though she likes some of their music.

You guys are definitely right, though. If you're going to be obsessed with something, it might as well be a band that champions so many good causes and inspires people to live joyful lives. It could always be worse.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

About the X-Files Finale

I used to be quite the X-Phile myself, but I stopped watching 2 seasons ago. I did watch the finale, and thought it was fabulous. The trial really summed up the series. CSM's re-appearance sought to keep the "conspiracy" alive for M and S. And that last scene!? *swoon* An excellet recreation of the pilot's hotel scene. I thought Mulder and Scully really explained the theme of the show through that last conversation. At it's core, The X-Files is about believing in something and always fighting for that belief, regardless of what it is. I was very pleased with the finale.

So pleased, in fact, that yesterday, I pulled out my Fight the Future dvd.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by madonna's child:
About the X-Files Finale

I used to be quite the X-Phile myself, but I stopped watching 2 seasons ago. I did watch the finale, and thought it was fabulous. The trial really summed up the series. CSM's re-appearance sought to keep the "conspiracy" alive for M and S. And that last scene!? *swoon* An excellet recreation of the pilot's hotel scene. I thought Mulder and Scully really explained the theme of the show through that last conversation. At it's core, The X-Files is about believing in something and always fighting for that belief, regardless of what it is. I was very pleased with the finale.

So pleased, in fact, that yesterday, I pulled out my Fight the Future dvd.
biggrin.gif

OMG! I know! That last scene *sigh*...and even the scene in prison with the big M & S kiss. It's about damn time! LOL
smile.gif

I also got out my dad's Season 2 DVDs and I've been watching them since monday. I haven't seen any of them before, so it's been entertaining.
biggrin.gif

LOL @ how this thread turned into x files! Anybody obsessed with x files? My sister is. She believes all the episodes are true!
eek.gif

------------------
~"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy,
I don't mind, think they're crazy
running everywhere at such a speed
'til they find, there's no need!
Please don't spoil my day,
I'm miles away,
and after all, I'm only sleeping!"~
John Lennon

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
LOL @ how this thread turned into x files!

Me too. I was going to ignore MC's post for the sake of the thread....
wink.gif
BUT, I found it kind of hard to watch the show the other day because the characters are obssesed with the conspiracy, and I thought they needed perspective, it's still just this life, as you may say about regular happenings. So I ~loved~ the end. I also liked it when one of the guys in the court said "What does this science fiction have to do with anything?!" Because that was how I felt. :p Yay for X-Files.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

Originally posted by Foadie:
My parents are all right, they were Beatlemaniacs, so they understand a bit. They do think it's silly to be on a forum about them! grrrness
When I was at the eye-doctor a few days ago, I did something so crazy! You know how they show you those letter charts and ask you to read the letters? Well, there was a really big line, and in the middle I thought it said B O N O so I spit it out SO fast! The lady looked at me funny, and then she checked my perscription (it was like the biggest line!) and I looked back up there and it said
B O N C. LOL!!! So yeah, I may be obsessed.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Foadie (edited 05-20-2002).]

That's so funny Foadie, LMAO!

I'm pretty obsessed, my parents are mostly worried about the amount of time I spend online looking at pictures, or here on PLEBA or the Zoo. I tell them I'll be the first one to recognize when it has gone too far, although with my recent posts about wanting to dip Larry's earlobes in champagne and lick them, I've been tempted to call for an appointment with the shrink, LOL!

My father hasn't liked any new music since The Beatles, so I don't get too upset when he says U2's music is worthless. Mom is not into any music at all, but she has the hots for Larry too!

My sister likes them, not as much as I do. She doensn't like AB, Zooropa or Pop that much, but she's really into ATYCLB and much of the older stuff. I still have to convince her that the boys are sexy. The other day, after seeing the "Stuck in a Moment" video that is on the Boston DVD, she said that Larry was "cosa mala" which literally means "bad thing" in Spanish, but we use it to refer to really good looking men. She still thinks the rest of the boys are ugly, though :-(

------------------
"I'm a rock star. I'm in your hands. Whatever you want to do with me, do it now." - Larry Mullen from B.P. Fallon's book Faraway So Close (and these are the words I want him to say to me when if I meet him someday...)

I think my problem is different from most of yours. I'm 40 years old, married with 2 kids and responsibilites, and my mom really bugs me about the time and money I devote to U2. She did it when I was crazy over The Who as a teenager too. She just thinks it's dumb to care so much about a band. I took a lot of hassle from her and others but my concerts were worth it. I gave up doing what I wanted when I was younger because of what people thought and I won't miss out on anything else because of that. I don't care what anyone thinks anymore. Usually people get more responsible as they age, with me it was the opposite. LOL! It's okay, it was for U2!

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

My family thinks that I'm obsessed too, but I don't live with them so they don't really understand the extent of my obsession. My roomate though is convinced that I'm insane. She bitches about it all the time, and because I love driving her crazy :mac: I tend to step it up a notch around her and relate everything to U2. She's always saying that U2 sucks and the Larry (my fav. btw) is ugly. I'm 19 and she's 18 and she says that it is disgusting that I have the hots for a 40 year old man. I've tried to convert her to "U2ism" but I don't think it's going to work. She likes teen pop :madspit: . I think I'll try to take it down a couple of notches while she's around before she ends up in the mental institution.

ILuvLarryMullen said:
She's always saying that U2 sucks and the Larry (my fav. btw) is ugly. I'm 19 and she's 18 and she says that it is disgusting that I have the hots for a 40 year old man

wow thats my friends all over.
theyre always saying how larry looks like a tinker/tramp and mocking his dangly earings, which i think are lovely.
they also think im weird for liking 40 year olds but then again they like fred durst and the backstreet boys :no:
some people have no taste :madspit:

See, when my friends see U2 they are all like, "Kari, why don't you like the drummer? He's the hot one!" Tee hee!

Either that or they say, "Wow, Bono is one of those guys that gets better looking with age." :D

Fortunately, my family is really cool about my U2 fandom. No one got on my case for going to Atlanta twice to get Elevated. It's about a three-hour drive, and my parents just more or less said "well, heck, she's going to do it" and let me do it. I do other things, like theatrical costuming, so I'm not sure everyone would consider me "obsessed" or whatever. I'm sorry some of your parents don't understand this delightful experience called U2 fandom! It's fun!
:yes: :yes:

Don't even get me started on my family..
They never shut up! They say I'm obbsessed and need to get a life..and they are constantly making fun of me. I even have heard my parents making fun of me behind my back. My sister is always yelling at me for talking about them "too much", playing their cds "too much", etc. Even as I am writing this my mother came in and made fun of me for being so excited about the Elevation concert tonight on ABC family, because I have the DVD.

Ugh! We should start a support club. :p

I'm on my own too, more or less. I'm 38, not married, and I work in a library. I do tell my parents just about everything I do. We're pretty close. I'm lucky! My mother even thinks that Bono's trip with O'Neill was pretty cool. So do I, naturally.
:lol: Anyway, I'm so glad I don't have a problem with this! I'd really hate it if I did! Some parents just don't get it! That's a drag.

Back
Top Bottom