My friend just met Bono!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phalanx

War Child
I got a call from a friend in Ireland, and he said he just met Bono! He was in Ireland for a few weeks, so I told him to go to Hanover Quay to see if he could meet one of the guys.

He said Bono pulled up in an Aston Martin, and went over to sign stuff and meet people. According to him, Bono is extremely laid back and relaxing and great to talk to. My friend showed him a magazine with a photo of U2 in 1979, and Bono just went "oh god, we were a fashion travesty". :wink:

There was one girl who was video-taping him, and Bono was getting quite upset with her because she wouldn't stop even though he had asked her to.

My friend said that Bono also went to the wall with writings from fans, and on one of the messages that said something like "C'mon Bono, work harder!" he wrote "for fuck's sake!" at the end of it. Bono said that Edge is driving him nuts with playing loud all the time, and that Larry was "knockin' on his head all day"...don't know what that means, but that's exactly what he said.

He chatted for around 15-20 minutes, took some photos and signatures and went into the studios. My friend wished him luck on the new album.

Plus he got me an autograph! :hyper: :up:

Bono is looking older he says, with a grey 5 o'clock shadow and with a very noticeable receding hairline. :|

Last edited:
Wow, that's great! Thanks for the report. (Too bad about that awful girl. What is it with some of these so-called fans? So disrespectful, and probably like that in everything they do.:madspit: )

Great story, but I'd have left out that last line :( He's nice enough to meet the person, I'm sure he wouldn't want negative reports about his looks posted online. Remember, he was upset about the video camera, that probably means he knew he wasn't looking his best that day and didn't want it recorded (don't we all have days like that?) If I met him, I'd never say one negative thing about him, poor guy, being so nice to fans, he doesn't deserve that :sad:

Interestingly, U2 Kitten, when I first responded to that post, that last line was not there. It was added later. Maybe the poster also felt unsure about the appropriateness of those comments, and hesitated about adding them.

Yes Biff that is interesting, I wish it had been the other way around, that they took it out instead of adding it:( It bothers me very much to see people lucky enough meet him and benefit from his generosity passing on things like that. It's mean. What's the point of doing something like that, to get a kick out of someone's reaction? A laugh? I don't even like it when people I know say they went to visit their relatives over the weekend and Cousin Winnie sure has packed on weight and Uncle Tom looks like he's half dead. It's gossipy, unkind and unecessary. I don't know why people can't leave stuff like that out.

Last edited:
It's an interesting question: why do people gossip, and take pleasure in other's misfortunes? It's part of the dark side of human nature.
By the way, U2 Kitten, there's a new picture of Bono at U2 Log, from yesterday, in his new car (not an Aston Martin but a Maserati!) I haven't a clue how to post it, or if that's even possible, but I'm sure you can figure it out!

Thanks Biff, I'll go fetch it! :wave: and you're right about human nature, which is why in general I prefer animals. ;)

I'm so lame :huh:

Here he is, looks fine and healthy, nice hair :love:

bonojune-vi.jpg

brb with Edge!

Bono looks like he has the sunburn thing happening again. I wonder if the Maserati is the convertible model. That's a really great car, by the way. Much cooler than his usual Mercedes. He's clearly getting back into rock star mode. :cool:

My Maserati does 185, I lost my liscense, now I don't drive-- Joe Walsh, Life's Been Good

He sure is, Biff :up: Remember that part of U2@TEOTW where he pulled up next to Axl and was embarrassed Axl saw him in an uncool Mercedes? He's going for it now! :yes: I don't know about Ireland, but where I live, 15 year olds can get their learner's permit, he can teach Jordan on this!

Yeah they're both sunburned. It can happen to anybody. I wonder if it happened in the South of France or on Killiney Bay?;) They are enjoying themselves so much, what lucky guys!

both of the boys are looking good - a tad bit on the sunburned side but who isn't this time of the year ( I am in the process of recovering from a bad sunburn myself - margarita's + beach = sunburn) My feelings right now? Boys must, must, must make new music! I really don't care if they want to shave their heads, wear togas etc. I need new u2 music - bad

It wasn't my intention to be insulting in any way. We're all getting older, there's no shame in it. I didn't say it in malice. If you think I shouldn't have put it, then I apologize.

However, let's be realistic. Bono won't spend his day scouring the internet to see what fans across the pond think of him. I have the feeling he is more concerned with individuals who criticize DATA and his charity work and call him a self-described philanthropist. People who complain about his causes and goals are the ones that probably irritate him, not people who count the wrinkles on his forehead.

I've bought enough U2 stuff not to worry too much about Bono.

Phalanx said:
People who complain about his causes and goals are the ones that probably irritate him, not people who count the wrinkles on his forehead.

I suspect you're right on that score. As Bono himself said, "The lines on your face are a map to your soul". He's lived a full life (which as you point out we have all contributed to), and I'm sure he wears his wrinkles proudly. He looks healthy and happy, and that's what counts.

I'll see what I can do for the photos. He arrives in a few days, so he'll be able to give me more information, and if I get the chance I'll upload the photos.

U2Kitten said:
Yes Biff that is interesting, I wish it had been the other way around, that they took it out instead of adding it:( It bothers me very much to see people lucky enough meet him and benefit from his generosity passing on things like that. It's mean. What's the point of doing something like that, to get a kick out of someone's reaction? A laugh? I don't even like it when people I know say they went to visit their relatives over the weekend and Cousin Winnie sure has packed on weight and Uncle Tom looks like he's half dead. It's gossipy, unkind and unecessary. I don't know why people can't leave stuff like that out.

:up:

The way I look at it is, if its something I wouldn't say on a public message board about a friend, I won't say it about Bono and/or U2.

I would never write something like "I saw U2Kitten this weekend and it was so great meeting her but she REALLY needs to have her roots done!" None of us would. So why is it okay to comment on Bono's gray hair, wrinkles or bad dye jobs? I'm not saying we shouldn't comment on his looks at all or that no one should ever make a negative comment...I just don't like picking on someone's looks, celebrity or average joe.

That said, I think Phalanx is right in saying that Bono probably doesn't spent a whole lot of time worrying about what people think about his looks but I still don't think its nice to comment on the negative aspects of someone's appearence.

Thanks, biff, I agree with you completely! :eyebrow:

Bono's lines ARE a map to his Soul and he has lived a FULL AND MAGNIFICENT LIFE - replete with its ups and downs, highs and lows, good and bad.

It is only through all of these experiences and lessons that Bono has learned in life that has given us the BRILLIANT PERSON THAT BONO IS! :yes:

I WOULD NOT CHANGE A THING ABOUT BONO - I THINK HE IS EXCEPTIONAL JUST THE WAY HE IS!:up: :hug:

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY!:bono: :heart: :heart: :angel: :wave:

Phalanx said:
Did I suggest Bono get a facelift or some hair implants?

You didn't have to, it was still rude, negative comments about someone who had done a very kind courtesy to your friend. Whether or not he reads it, I don't think it's nice, or necessary to even say things like that, about anybody, ever!!

And for the record, you can see, his hairline is right where it's supposed to be. Do you even know what a 'receding hairline' is? It means a person's hair is disappearing backwards on the top of their head. I don't see that at all on Bono. Even if it were true, it wouldn't be an appropriate thing to post in a happy band meeting story.
bonojune-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:

:up:

The way I look at it is, if its something I wouldn't say on a public message board about a friend, I won't say it about Bono and/or U2.

I would never write something like "I saw U2Kitten this weekend and it was so great meeting her but she REALLY needs to have her roots done!" None of us would. So why is it okay to comment on Bono's gray hair, wrinkles or bad dye jobs? I'm not saying we shouldn't comment on his looks at all or that no one should ever make a negative comment...I just don't like picking on someone's looks, celebrity or average joe.

That said, I think Phalanx is right in saying that Bono probably doesn't spent a whole lot of time worrying about what people think about his looks but I still don't think its nice to comment on the negative aspects of someone's appearence.

Thank you :hug: Exactly! :yes: It's just not nice to do it anyone, anytime, for any reason:(

and some of you wonder why I will never post my pic on this forum :reject:

Great story!!
Thanks for the info maybe my little girl will get her birthday wish after all!!:wink:

Bono looks great and believe me I know I had his face right next to mine a few weeks back!!!!!!!!!!:drool: :wink:

So you women can ogle him like a sex object, but I talk about his hairline and beard and I am the crude one here?

In all seriousness, I've understood your point, I even apologized for it. Why are some of you bringing it up again? For the drama?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom