My cat has an eating disorder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
You guys have to help me help my cat! He wants to eat SO BAD and he just looks so sad and hungry, ah! Don't let me give in! I gave him the right amount already and he's been pitifully meowing since I've been home. I keep breaking down and refilling his bowl but TODAY MUST BE THE DAY it stops. Now he's alternating between chewing on the food bag and jumping up on my lap to get attention.

Maybe feed him in smaller portions?

I've really got no idea, as I've never had a cat before. :shrug:

Your kitties are adorable, btw :)

I'll get some as soon as there's a day I don't work all day and have night class! Stupid lab, told me to get kitten food for a year.

frick! He followed me upstairs and tried to eat the turtle food from out of the tank! Now he's running laps going "mmmrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrOW" over and over and attacking the door b/c he knows the kitten got fed. I'm never going to get any sleep.....

I don't know what to tell you. Cats can be so strange. I stuggled to get one of mine to eat cat food. All he wanted to eat were plastic bags. He still likes them and occasionally is crafty enough to eat part of the trash bag. When I ask my vet, he said they can develop bad/strange habits if something is lacking in their diet.

Is he not eating at all? Maybe he's just unhappy about not being the only kitty (you got a second cat, right?). If it keeps up, I would recommend talking to your vet.

Sorry I can't be more help.

I probably can't help you... we just put a big bowl out for all the cats and refill when empty.

Then again, they go outside and do the whole running jumping climbing trees thing. :shrug:

I'm just not a by-the-book person, I pay no attention to what exact portion it says on the back of the bag, they're all different. (same with human babies) While there is nothing wrong with kitten food for a whole year, there is something wrong with kitten portions for a cat who's getting bigger. If he's tearing up the bag, he's hungry, feed him. I would not call that an eating disorder. If he starts to pack on weight then you'll know he's eating too much but even that is not a big thing since most indoor cats do get a little heavier from not getting much exercise, especially if they are fixed. Also if you have more than one cat I don't have a problem with leaving food and water out all the time to be nibbled on. That's what I do and so does my neighbor. Soft food I only give once a day.

Last edited:
And speaking of human babies, my youngest brother and his wife who just had their first baby a couple months ago are doing the old by the book thing and it's getting to them. The baby cries when it's hungry and they won't feed him because the book said not to. Then sometimes they actually wake him up out of a sound sleep to feed him because the book said to and he's not hungry, he cries, and his sleep is ruined.I'm sorry I think that's lame. If they're hungry, feed them, if not, don't. Screw the book, they don't know your baby/cat/dog.

Kristie said:
I probably can't help you... we just put a big bowl out for all the cats and refill when empty.

:up:

and unlike dogs, cats won't gobble everything up at once, they will only eat when they want to.

U2Kitten said:
And speaking of human babies, my youngest brother and his wife who just had their first baby a couple months ago are doing the old by the book thing and it's getting to them. The baby cries when it's hungry and they won't feed him because the book said not to. Then sometimes they actually wake him up out of a sound sleep to feed him because the book said to and he's not hungry, he cries, and his sleep is ruined.I'm sorry I think that's lame. If they're hungry, feed them, if not, don't. Screw the book, they don't know your baby/cat/dog.

They'll soon learn the first rule of parenting is "never wake a sleeping baby."

U2Kitten said:

:laugh:

I always laugh when people have their first baby and try to "go by the book." They try to keep to an impossible schedule, won't let anyone hold the baby, make their own baby food...everything but wrapping the poor kid in a sanitary plastic bubble.

Hehe...when the second one comes along, things are a whole lot different! Its food from a jar and "here, take this kid please!!" :wink:

Sorry for getting sidetracked here...I agree with the others who say just feed your kitty when its hungry. I never followed the recommended serving sizes with my cat...when she was hungry, I fed her. I normally gave her wet food in the morning and kept her bowl full of dry food all day. She nibbled off and on when she was hungry but generally didn't make a pig of herself :shrug:

Yeah, but he's 7 mos and already getting fat! If I feed him as much as he wants, he eats more than the maximum servings listed for a cat his age and weight.

Some cats regulate themselves well with a full bowl left out all day, others will eat out of boredom and get overweight. If he's getting chubby already, he will hopefully feel fuller with an adult formula - cup for cup, there will be less calories in the adult food but a bigger volume to help him feel full.

Plus neutured and spayed indoor only cats are naturally chubbier than those who go outside or have not been fixed (I have had all kinds, I have seen this in mine and others) I have 2 cats who had beautiful body shapes until they were fixed, now they are all fat in the middle. It comes with a loss of natural hormones.

LOL BAW! :lmao: So true! You can't tell them a thing, they'll have to find out the hard way. :tsk:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Plus neutured and spayed indoor only cats are naturally chubbier than those who go outside or have not been fixed (I have had all kinds, I have seen this in mine and others) I have 2 cats who had beautiful body shapes until they were fixed, now they are all fat in the middle. It comes with a loss of natural hormones.

True, they often get that tummy sag, but they can have that and not necessarily be overweight. We evaluate each cat based on their body size and bone structure, they tend to put on excess fat over the ribs and on their flank. They should have a nice hour-glass shape when you look at them standing over them, you also should be able to feel their ribs without pressing when you pet them. Indoor cats do tend to put on weight because they have a fairly low activity level - you need to adjust their calorie intake to account for that. Spaying/neutering also decrease their calorie requirements. Obesity sets them up for many medical problems, and it is much easier to prevent than to try to get the weight off once they put it on.

Yeah, he's definitely got some saggage going on. His face has really filled out as well and his fur changed from being scruffy dark gray to short and silver (it changes color depending on what way you pet him). You should see him squash Posh! He can almost fit her entire head inside his mouth. But she's the lucky one with front claws and she also likes to hide and pounce right on his back. They really go for the juggular! Sometimes I worry that they're not kidding, lol.

bonosloveslave said:

Obesity sets them up for many medical problems, and it is much easier to prevent than to try to get the weight off once they put it on.

Oh yes, humans too :yes:

His fur might have changed because of summer shedding and might be darker again in winter when he grows a thicker coat. I had a dog once whose brown spot turned light tan in summer and very dark in winter!

my cat is bulimic! :eyebrow: she will puke to get attention or show that shes mad at you. isnt that just grand? shell go and eat out of her dish (which is just left out full for her all the time) and come into the kitchen and puke right by me.
its like ew you little monster!
another little cat of mine i had to feed because i was his mommy :D and he would tear the crap outta his face when he was eating.
cats are weird

I have 5 cats my husband says we have 4 cats and a dragon because his stomach is dragging on the floor. He's fat and cute and the best cat in the house. Feed the kitten who is he watching his figure for? (or her)

Kristie said:

yeah, all our girl kitties got that too.. why does that happen?

:shrug: Beth?

Saturday me, Phil, and both of the cats are going back to Petsmart for new food for Beckham and a hind nail trim for them both (the vet did only Posh's front claws and Beckham has never had front claws since I've had him). Good thing I got two cat houses.

I don't know the medical reason for it, other than maybe gravity? Cats have much looser skin than dogs. I honestly can't remember the last several-years-old adult unneutered/unspayed cat I've seen to see if they have it, they are very rare because they just don't make good housepets...

I've had quite a few cats/kittens and my understanding is that they should be "free fed", meaning food should be available to them at all times when they are kittens - especially when they are really young.

When they start to reach full grown size, I cut back gradually and portion out the food and only feed them 2 times a day and only what they can eat in 20 minutes. No food is left out at this stage, as obesity is a problem for cats. But this is ONLY when they are full grown. And you have to be firm and consistent. They eventually get it.

HTH!! Good luck!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom