Mr. Macphisto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtwohearts

New Yorker
What IS the story behind MacPhisto? I thought it was just bono in a devil persona. Is there more? I didn't like it until recently so I never cared enough to ask. Now I just:drool:

bonomacph.jpg

This is my favorite.

Gavin helped Bono invent him. He was supposed to be the devil as a tired old popstar in Las Vegas. I also heard am 85 year old dancer inspired his moves. Having seen the German movie Mafesto, I am convinced this was also an influence though I've never seen it written.

Also....The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis has much to do with it....I've got a post somewhere in the book forum about my interpretation of The Fly and Mr. Mac

Basically Mr Mac is the end result of The Fly....a rock star who grabbed onto the rock and roll lifestyle and didn't let go...

U2Kitten said:
Gavin helped Bono invent him. He was supposed to be the devil as a tired old popstar in Las Vegas. I also heard am 85 year old dancer inspired his moves. Having seen the German movie Mafesto, I am convinced this was also an influence though I've never seen it written.

Also, Mac was a replacement for Mirrorball Man because they felt that character wouldn't work for the European part of the tour.

fascinating, but a frightening persona . . . . . .
I saw it on the popmart video and it gave me nightmares for weeks. I think it'll be o.k. now.:eeklaugh:

I think it was that Australian video. I can't remember what that was called:scratch: that live version of something . . . sorry I am a little ignorant.

Last edited:
Well as I said before I saw this persona live and I thought that Bono's head was getting slightly too big for his body. However during the Zoo-TV tour I think Bono's head was slightly enlarged after the success of JT and R&H. Anyway he looks very sexy as Mr. Macphisto, and I use to hate it. I wish I didn't just re-new my license plate, Mrs. Macphisto would have been good too.

I think MacPhisto comes from the German writer Goethe. In his book Faust he mentioned Mephisto and he is the devil...
Bono created Mr MacPhisto- the devil as the last rock star - so he could say things he usually would never have said. Macphisto had his debut in Rotterdam (1st concert of the European ZooTv tour)

I really loved it, when Bono (mac...) made his famous phone calls. So cool, when he tried to talk to presidents, the UN... or odered pizza :wink:

PS: I can recommened Bill Flanagan's book U2- at the end of the world. Really great. I've read it about 6 times :wink:

Yeah the calling the White House and telling to bewildered person on the other line that it was him who got the Pres. elected in the first place.... haha

I wonder if that person ever learned that they were a butt of a joke for a U2 concert. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom