Moochie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm praying for you and Moochie. I'm sorry this is happening, it's got to be rough. I'm glad you have a nice kitty like Belle, she seems really empathetic!! :heart: :heart: :hug: :hug:

Moochie Update.

Ok, the outlook is not as well as I expected, but there's still hope. Moochie's BUN and Creatinine levels are back up. They were 143 and 12 when I took her into the emergency vet last Sunday, after fluid treatment at my vet those few days the numbers dropped to 65 and 5, but they're already back up to 129 and 9 already. :( (I know those numbers don't mean much to most of you, but basically, the lower they are the better.) So the vet said things weren't looking good, they could hospitalize her again and run fluids, etc. but there was no guarantee it would for sure help. So of course I started balling because she made it sound like I was gonna have to put Mooch down right then and there. :sad: But then she mentioned the sub-q fluids (did I get the name right?) which I would have to inject into Moochie twice daily, and I told her I definitely wanted to give it a shot. The vet showed me how to do it while I was there...I just hope I can do it by myself tonight :uhoh: I may need to see if my mom will come over and help me hold her the first time... I don't want to stick her with a needle and then have her get away from me and have to start all over :sad: I also got different food for her... food with trout as the third ingredient (Mooch likes seafood flavors best) and she actually ate some of it off the vet's finger at the office, and even poked her head out of the cat carrier to take a little bit more from the can, but then that was it (but at least it was something)... I tried giving her the food just now and she wouldn't even look at it. But the vet gave me a bigger syringe and at least now I know how much food they want me to get in her using the syringe and they said if she'll eat her regular food, that's fine, the most important thing is to get her eating on her own.

So I'm really hoping I can do the needle/fluid thing and get her eating, because it doesn't seem like her kidneys will take much more of this, and it's looking like Tuesday might be a very bad day if this stuff doesn't work for her/me. :sigh:

Gosh erised.. so much for you to deal with. See how things go with these new changes. The people on the cat forum have been telling me that you need to try a lot of different things before finally getting everything settled. I hope she eats the food.. and I think the subq fluids will help her. I know you have a lot to deal with, but if you post your story and the levels on the catforum or that other crf group I told you about I bet they can give you some excellent advice.

I will be thinking about you and moochie (I actually havent stopped thinking about you guys) :heart:

And that is soo cute about Belle. Somehow cats know when they need to comfort their owner. I'm glad she's there for you.

The fluids really aren't hard to do, and they usually make the kitties feel so much better afterwards. Even if I'm giving them to a cat in the hospital, it makes it a bit easier if you snuggle them lightly in a towel or blanket so they can't get away so easily. Actually once the needle gets through the skin, the rest doesn't hurt (they just resent being made to hold still for a few minutes). Don't be a wimp when it is time to poke the needle in, it seems to hurt worse if you just keep pushing to try to get it in - a quick stab works best. But it probably would help you feel a little better if your mom was there to help you the first time.

Are you heating up her food?

I have my fingers crossed for you and Mooch, Jenny! I hope you have positive results with what the vet recommended today. :)

:wave:

Thanks for all the well wishes everybody! :hug:

I actually think Moochie looks better already, but I'm trying not to get too excited. I went to the animal shelter to drop off some stuff, and let me tell you, when you have a sick pet, the best friends to have are those that volunteer/work for the animal shelter! :happy: Elaine, the shelter's director, hooked me up with a couple of smaller needles for the fluids, she said the ones the vet gave me were pretty big. She also gave me a can of food called a/d. (She joked, in a nice way, to me that they refer to it as "almost dead" food :| ) She says they use it at the shelter for animals that won't eat, and most of those animals will eat it because of its consistency. I 'm so glad she gave it to me, cuz even though I tried to get Moochie to eat her new NF food just now, she snubbed it, but I put down a little of the a/d food for her, and she actually tried a little bit... a very little bit, but still, I think it's progress. She's taken at least one bit of food both this morning and this evening and that's something she hasn't done since she got sick. So it's a very baby step, but a step. :) I'm still going to force feed her a little bit tonight, if she doesn't eat anymore. But she's looking better to me, she greeted me at the door when I came home (something she hasn't really done since she got sick) and she was actually waiting around the food bowls for food cuz it was dinnertime. Albeit she didn't really eat too much, but I think it's great that she's just showing an interest by actually going by the food and looking up at me to say "Where is it?" :lol:

So, I'm nervous about giving her the fluid tonight, just cuz it'll be my first time, but I went out and bought this large banana holder to hang the fluid bag on :shifty: cuz I thought it might help if I wanna/have to give her the fluids by myself. I definitely want someone around while I do it, and I'm thinking of calling the president of the animal shelter "friends" group that I support. She knows my kitty is sick and she said if I need anything to give her a call. So, even if she's busy tonight and can't stop by to possibly help me administer the fluids for the first time, I know she'll give me encouragement and I hope it won't be that bad. Seeing what I think is a little bit of an improved Moochie is what will drive me to stick that needle in her. I know that sounds a little sick, but that's how much I love her. :heart:

Ok, so I'm babbling now so I'll end here. But thanks again, everyone, for all your support. You have NO IDEA how much it means to me during this difficult time :hug:

Jenny I'm glad Moochie seems better today. I think you should definately call your friend to see if she can come help you give her the fluids tonite. At least once, so you can know exactly how to do it. Did you still give her medication today? How did she react?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!!

I've never had a sick pet before so I can't imagine what you are going through Jenny. Just hang in there. We're all thinking about you and Moochie. :hug:

Another Moochie update :)

Wow, I really can't believe the improvements I've seen in Moochie in such a short period of time... they're little improvements, but I think they're significant. She's eaten on her own 3 times this evening. Granted, she didn't eat THAT much during each setting but just showing an interest in food and actually eating some all by herself three separate times in one evening is so great if you ask me. She also seems much more alert, she's walking around more than she was before and just seems a little more herself... it's hard to explain but I'm seeing little things that are letting me know she's feeling better. :)

And.... *drumroll please, Larry* ... I administered the sub-q fluid all by myself this evening! :happy: Well, my mom was on hand cuz I wasn't sure how Moochie (or I) would react, but I held her in my lap and putting the needle in wasn't as bad as I thought... your mind makes you think it's going to be bad, but the needle goes in the skin so easy. And Moochie didn't even flinch when I put the needle in her (see, she's such a good kitty) there were a few times when I could feel her pushing like the wanted to get up and walk away, but I just held her firmly in my lap and petted her and talked kitty-talk to her. :cute: And it really didn't take that long to do either. So I'm glad I'm over that hurdle.

Now it'll be a wait and see... wait and see how Moochie's body reacts to these fluids over the next few days... I'm hoping she'll only continue to improve, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much. I'm just glad to see her looking better.

:applaud:

Sicy said:
Jenny I'm glad Moochie seems better today. I think you should definately call your friend to see if she can come help you give her the fluids tonite. At least once, so you can know exactly how to do it. Did you still give her medication today? How did she react?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!!

And the answer to your question, Sicy, actually is one of the things that makes me think Moochie is feeling a little better.

When I gave her the cimetidine earlier today, before we went to the vet, she reacted as she always had... drool from the mouth, and she'd go under my bed and stay there for a LONG time.

Well, when I gave it to her later in the day, after the vet visit, she drooled and she ran under my bed, but within a minute or two she was back out and about walking around. I couldn't believe my eyes! She never appeared to have "bounced back" so fast after taking that medication...but she had had one fluid treatment and eaten very small amounts of food twice on her own prior to that dosage. :)

So they are slow and small improvements, but I'm happy with what I've seen so far...hoping things continue to improve!

I knew you could do it! And I think the one-on-one time during the fluids is good too. The smaller needles will make it a little less painful of a poke, but it will take longer for the fluids to run.

Glad she's eating a bit too, have you tried mixing a bit of the a/d with the NF? Again, heating it up may help too. Baby steps! :hug:

omg YAY!!! This is fantastic news. I am so glad Moochie is showing some improvment :hyper: Is the food that she's eating her own food or the perscription food? I hope she will like the new perscription food if there's fish in it.

I'm so glad you were able to give her her fluids by yourself. Moochie is such a good cat. She must know you are trying to help her :heart:

You must go update the cat site thread!

bonosloveslave said:

Glad she's eating a bit too, have you tried mixing a bit of the a/d with the NF? Again, heating it up may help too. Baby steps! :hug:

I've tried mixing the a/d with the NF. She had no interest. She even snubbed the pure a/d this morning, but I gave Moochie her "regular" cat food this morning and she ate it...probably the largest quanity since she's become sick (even though it's still way below her normal appetite level, but I'm happy she's showing interest in SOME kind of food on her own). I'll eventually try mixing in small amounts of the NF food into her regular food in hopes of turning her on the to NF, but for right now, I want to just focus on getting her to eat more of whatever food she's willing to eat. :)

Sicy said:

I'm so glad you were able to give her her fluids by yourself. Moochie is such a good cat. She must know you are trying to help her :heart:

You must go update the cat site thread!

Cat site thread's been updated. :)

The fluids went well again this morning... she squirmed a bit more cuz it took a little longer (yesterday my mom ended up holding the bag and I think my mom's movements helped the fluids to drip a little faster), but Moochie did tolerate the dosage this morning and was such a good girl. :cute:

Jenn, if you are coordinated enough (well, it more depends on Moochie holding still), it's ok to squeeze the bag once the needle is under the skin to make it go faster. Ie, squeeze for a few seconds, then let the bag go to see what the level is down to. And make sure the roller is all the way up so that it's loose (so that the line is completely open).

And if she's willing to eat her own food, that's great - and hopefully that will work to start sneaking some NF in over the next few days :yes:

She's doing about the same. I'm going to try to assist feed her more, cuz even though she's attempting to eat, I know she's not getting enough in her to help her improve. So I went home at lunch today and feed her some k/d using the syringe, and I'll offer her food to eat on her own when I get home and see how she responds, though I'll also probably syringe feed her too.

I just called the vet's office, didn't actually talk to the vet (and that kinda bugs me... I'm thinking of switching vets, some place closer to home) but the receptionist relayed my message that Mooch seemed to be doing better, so they told me I could come in and get more fluids and needles and then once I'm done with those I guess it'll be back in for a recheck.

So that's about it for now...

bonosloveslave said:
Jenn, if you are coordinated enough (well, it more depends on Moochie holding still), it's ok to squeeze the bag once the needle is under the skin to make it go faster. Ie, squeeze for a few seconds, then let the bag go to see what the level is down to. And make sure the roller is all the way up so that it's loose (so that the line is completely open).

And if she's willing to eat her own food, that's great - and hopefully that will work to start sneaking some NF in over the next few days :yes:

I keep forgetting to ask you this, and i'm kinda embarassed to admit it, but that first night I gave her the fluids, out of curiosity, I was inspecting the needle (the used one the vet used to give Moochie the fluid at the office) and I accidently poked my finger with it :uhoh:... I washed the wound out with alcohol right away, but do you think it'll be ok? Can I catch anything (disease-wise) from this mishap? Should I see a doctor?

Back
Top Bottom