Models on a mission to boost charity for children

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niamh_Saoirse

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
SUPERMODELS Helena Christensen and Jodie Kidd swept into Ireland yesterday on a wave of haute couture - and raised €150,000 for charity in the process.

The models headlined last night's Brown Thomas fashion show in Cork's City Hall, the proceeds of which went to Chernobyl Children's Project, which is supported by their close friend, Bono's wife Ali Hewson.

The show was compered by RTE's Grainne Seoige.

Tickets for the event cost a €125 - but it still managed to sell out in minutes.

Danish model Helena Christensen got involved after Ms Hewson introduced her to CCP founder Adi Roche during a visit to Ireland last summer.

She was so taken by the charity's work that she not only agreed to front the Brown Thomas fashion show - but is now hoping to travel later this year to the Chernobyl region with both Ali and Adi.

"It is a very good cause and I am delighted to be involved," she said.

The New York-based model said she is a regular visitor to Ireland.

"I was actually in Cork many years ago - I travelled down with Michael Stipe (the REM lead singer). Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was there and Toni Colette. We all travelled down on the train to Cork from Dublin and went to a three-day poetry reading in Liss Ard in west Cork," she added.

In fact, Helena's Irish links are so strong that she now holidays each year with Ali, Bono and their children.

Helena has a seven-year old son - and that was another key factor is persuading her to support CCP, she said.

"There are so many charities around that are worthy and need help.

"But CCP, for some reason, is such a personal charity and these (Chernobyl) children are somewhat forgotten because it was more than 20 years ago that the disaster happened," she said.

Ms Christensen and British model Jodie Kidd - who is a long-time supporter of CCP's work - were given a special reception in Cork by the city's Lord Mayor, Michael Ahern.

They were also formally welcomed to the city by Ms Hewson and CCP founder, Adi Roche, as well as charity member, Bill Keary, and Brown Thomas manager, Caroline Counihan.

Amongst the exclusive labels featured in last night's extravaganza were designs by Armani, Gucci, Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen, Roberto Cavalli, Chanel and Prada.

The event - which featured a total of 27 models - also proved a major thrill for several Cork beauticians and hair-stylists who got a once-in-a-lifetime chance to work with some of the world's top models

396658.jpg

Wow Jodie looks like a giant!!!!

Great cause and congrats to them all for getting behind it.

How come Ali never ever wears anything but black?? With her coloring she could pull off deep reds, blues etc beautifully.

Show nets Chernobyl €150,000

Ireland's fashionistas were out in force at Cork City Hall last night as Danish supermodel Helena Christensen graced the catwalk for the Brown Thomas spring/summer show in aid of the Chernobyl Children's Project (CCP).

Christensen and top British model Jodie Kidd waived their catwalk fees for the event, which raised €150,000 for the charity. Speaking at a pre-show press conference, Adi Roche, founder of the CCP, said that all monies raised would go towards two key projects - the Homes of Hope Fostering Project and the Medical Care Cardiac Programme.

The Homes of Hope Fostering Project is a new strategy undertaken by the charity and involves shutting down orphanages and placing children in a family environment in newly-built foster homes. Money raised from the fashion show will fund the purchase of three new homes and provide education and counselling workshops for the families to assist them in the transition process.

Ms Roche said that 2006 was a significant year for the charity, as it moved away from "band-aid emergency relief" to more long-term strategic developments.

Christensen, who jetted in to Cork for last night's event accompanied by her parents, said she it was an "eye-opener" to find out the extent of the damage caused to Chernobyl and its people 20 years ago.

Last night's event involved the unveiling of the spring/summer collections of top designers Chanel, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Alexander McQueen, Roberto Cavalli and Stella McCartney. The sell-out show was hosted by RTÉ presenter Gráinne Seoige, who introduced Irish models including Miss Ireland Sarah Morrissey, and Glenda Gilson to the catwalk.

Acting as honorary male models for the night were TV presenter and actor Keith Duffy, singer Gavin Friday, 2FM presenter Dave Fanning and celebrity gardener Diarmuid Gavin. They were assisted by well-known faces from the Munster rugby team and local talk show host Neil Prendeville from Cork's 96FM.

The 650 guests were serenaded during the interval by tenor Paul Byrom. They included Minister Micheál Martin and his wife Mary; lord mayor of Cork Cllr Michael Ahern and his wife Eileen; CCP patron Ali Hewson; actor Colin Farrell's sister Claudine; and Anne Achieson, wife of U2's Larry Mullen.

I'd be up to Jodie's knees!

Whew! I just dyed my hair black and I'm not so sure I like it, but now I can say, "I'm going for the Ali Hewson look..."
And I don't know why but I prefer wearing black too and Babydoll you're right she can totally pull off any color.

Adi and Ali are queens of the South

ADVERTISEMENT

This year could well present a wake-up call for many of those soi-disant glitzy Dublin charity benefits that we've all taken for granted here for so long. The degree of ennui that has set in has some charity queens declaring they'd prefer a root canal to another lunch/fashion show.

Well, on Thursday night in Cork they showed how to put on an amazing, high energy night that left everyone, including the big crowd that had travelled from Dublin, gobsmacked.

The evening made a bundle of money for Adi Roche and Ali Hewson's Chernobyl Children's Project. And great fun it was, too.

Of course, that whiff of sulphur is always there when there are real celebs around: Helena Christensen and Jodie Kidd seemed to lift Glenda and Sarah's game - they both looked almost in the same league.

Grainne Seoige, as MC, was right on the money. While Bono was power-brokering in Washington DC - an excuse he uses a lot, Ali laughed - Ann Acheson, Larry's wife, flew down, as did Claudine Farrell, Colin's sister.

The runway line-up included Kelly O'Byrne and Karen Fitzpatrick, Lisa Duffy, Doon Doyle, Ursula Fanning and Orla Delaney, while among the boys were Keith Duffy, Gavin Friday, Diarmuid Gavin, Dave Fanning and artists Rasher and Graham Knuttel.

Cork's City Hall looked magnificent, Paul Byrom serenaded the audience. Amazingly, it has obviously recovered from my singing in a school choir there many years ago.

John Redmond, Brown Thomas Creative Director, had waved his magic wand all over the place and with BT's Moira Muprhy, who hails from West Cork, acting as project director, this evening was always going to be the business. Stylist Sinead Keenan guaranteed a seamless production.

Pink Jacob's Creek bubbles popped as guests enjoyed the canapés that tasted as good as they looked. Louise Kennedy travelled to Cork via Florence, where she had personally collected some to-die-for pieces from her new collection for the show. The Swarovski crystal-studded blue dress was one of the highlights of the evening.

Mary Martin, who accompanied husband Micheál (the Minister for Enterprise), had been at school with Louise and the gals hadn't met for nearly 30 years. Can you imagine the catching up? Dublin jeweller Paul Sheeran was enojying the calm before the Valentine's Day storm.

Brown Thomas Cork Manager, Caroline Counihan, welcomed local guests the Lord Mayor Michael Ahern and his very elegant Lady Mayoress Eileen, Margaret and Anne Marie Scally, owners of Hayfield Manor Hotel.

And when the show finished, there were a number of dinners around town guaranteeing a very late evening for some guys and gals who were heading straight to the airport for Maison et Objets in Paris.

Back
Top Bottom