model behavour pt 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
(5 months later)

“Anneka I am glad you were able to make it today, we really need to have a little talk, ”Caroline Muir, the head of Kizz Model agency which Anneka belonged to these past four years informed her as Anneka stepped into her spacious office. Seeing her agent Robert Crawley sitting in the room as well did nothing to quell the ominous feeling Anneka suddenly felt in her gut.

Although she had only worked for Caroline’s Agency for four years, she knew Caroline much longer being a friend of Anneka‘s mother, and could tell by the older woman’s tone, addressing her a schoolteacher would a wayward pupil, that something had displeased Caroline Muir, and Anneka was about to find out what.

Robert was also looking a little jittery as he stood up to greet her, so he obviously was aware of whatever it was, she felt a slight sense of betrayal that they had been discussing her, and Robert had not even tipped her of what it might be about before being summoned here today

She sat down opposite it refusing the polite niceties of refreshments offered to her by Caroline, just wanting to know what was going on, that they felt they had to meet up with her like this to discuss whatever it was

“This is not an easy matter to bring up” Caroline addressed her as she now sat behind her desk, “But we decided its for the best, you know its your best interests we have at heart” she leaned forward her hands clasped smiling directly at Anneka

“I see” Anneka replied noncommittally “Well perhaps now you would care to enlighten me what this is all about?”

“You know we try and support our models and their endeavours as much as we can” Caroline then said, “That is why our agency is so popular, but it also has a reputation to uphold, the glitz the glamorized side, we like to portray which makes us attractive to potential business dealings, that make sure our model’s get top money and the recognition they crave.

Yes I am aware of all this” Anneka replied feeling herself getting a little impatient. And watched as Caroline shifted uneasily in her chair, lowering her eyes to the desk in front of her as she continued.

“We really do not like having to delve into the personal lives of our models, not unless it affects the agency, and that is why I thought we should have this little talk now, to sort things out”

“Sort things out?” Anneka looked mystified as she looked from Caroline to Robert
“What things exactly?” she demanded though deep down she already had a suspicion where this was going

“Well like I said it’s not that we disapprove of what you are trying to do, its commendable, that you are involved in this charity work, and the fact now its lately been revealed you are involved in a relationship with Bono. Interest you by the media has perked up”

“Don’t I know it” Anneka replied dryly “But we are doing our best to contain it, Bono has this plan that when they ask us about what is going on in our personal lives, we give then as little information as possible, and remind them about our ending poverty campaign,” Anneka smiled “Once they realise there is no juicy scandal, they lose interest. It works a treat. So we can get on with what we want to focus on.. Which is the Poverty campaign, and our private life stays strictly private”

“Like I said, what you are doing is very commendable” Caroline repeated, “But we are concerned you are perhaps getting a too involved with your charity work since you became personally close to Bono, and perhaps losing sight of your career and how it might affect it”

“And who exactly are ‘we’?” Anneka queried in a tight voice, feeling her body tense up. It seemed her suspicions had been spot on

Well Robert here, and me and others at the agency, as well as your mother” Caroline replied

“My mother” Anneka echoed with a small twisted smile “I might have known she figured in it somewhere considering the last lecture she give me over the phone a few weeks back”

“Well surely you can understand our concerns” Caroline frowned across at her, “They are not completely unfounded”

“Like I said, it’s not that what you are trying to do is wrong,” Robert now decided to butt in, “But perhaps you should be a little less enthusiastic about it. Take a back seat for a while and concentrate on what you do best. Your face and figure sell products Anneka, they want you to be glamorous and unreachable, not always talking about the poverty and problems in Africa. That’s not what they pay you for, and its not why they took you on in this agency” he explained and Caroline nodded in agreement

“I hate having to confront you like this, but I am doing it as a friend, we all our” Caroline continued, “Quite frankly your zealous interest in your charity work has overtaken everything else lately.. Its beginning to put people of. Soon all they will associate you with is Africa and Bono, and although that might be fine for someone
With less of a public profile and glamorous reputation, believe me its going to hurt you, and this agency, we can’t let that happen”

“Ok I get it” Anneka replied sharply, wanting them both to stop lecturing her. This had been brewing up these last few month ever since she and Bono had gone public about their romantic involvement with each other.

She felt she had to prove herself even more that she was serious and committed about her ‘charity work’ as Caroline called it, because everyone assumed it was Bono’s influence on her, and she felt she had to show that was not the case.

But still she felt the resentment rise in her, that everyone seemed more concerned with saving their own hides, rather than support her for what she was trying to do.

Modelling was supposedly glamorous and a desired ambition for young girls, but if you didn’t play by its rules it was cold and fickle. And she was breaking all the rules and it seemed now was paying the price.

Caroline was pulling her into line now, letting her know. No doubt pressured by Anneka’s mother who made it clear she disapproved of Anneka’s deep involvement and commitment with the poverty campaign and thought she should be concentrating more on her career and getting into the movie business.

“You know the interest I have in the poverty campaign is not about making my image look good, Its because I really do care and want to make a difference.. And I don’t see why the fact I am a model should affect anything else, but obviously I am wrong” she finished bitterly.

“I guess everything is fine as long as I am pulling in the big bucks for you and whatever company wants my face or figure to endorse its products and if you are uncomfortable with the fact my charity work is getting more attention, I am sorry but I think it deserves all the attention it can get to make people sit up and listen.

“But the point is a lot of them are not listening” Robert replied, “In fact they are doing the opposite switching of.. Because they don’t want to know and taking their business elsewhere, that is not good for your career Anneka.. Surely you can understand that”

“I am beginning to” Anneka replied, “And a big part of me doesn’t give a damn”

“Well you have to give a damn Anneka, because whether you like it or not you signed a contract that makes you obligated to us” Caroline then informed her crisply, “this agency unfortunately is not a charity it’s a business, and we have a reputation to uphold, and we expect our models to have that consideration”

“Look we are not telling you to quit it all together” Robert then hurriedly put in, concerned Anneka might lose it with Caroline and flounce out of the office telling her where she could stick her agency. He recognised the angry glint in her eyes, that told him her temper was reaching its limit.

“We just want you to get your priorities in order, and surely you must realise your first priority is to yourself and also to Caroline and her agency, you would not be where you are today without her help”

“I know that” Anneka replied, “And I am grateful” she looked across at Caroline,

“Its not you I am mad at really, I just get frustrated that the business we are involved in can be so shallow and greedy.. Perhaps its something I no longer want to be a part of” she finished ruefully.

“And where else would you go?” Robert asked looking uneasily, “What else can you do so well?” he pointed out

“If your heart is not in this anymore perhaps its time we did review your contract” Caroline spoke up, her tone more soft and understanding, “But I have to say, it would be a terrible shame to lose you. I think it is something you are going to have to think carefully about, we don’t want you to do anything you might later regret” she then pointed out.

“I think you are right” Anneka realised, “I am going to need some time to think on this.. Is that OK?”

“Sure” Caroline smiled, “Take all the time you need.

Back
Top Bottom