Model behaviour pt 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
Anneka had deliberately dressed down for the meeting, in a dark, but smart trouser suit. Her long blonde hair was tied back in a neat pony tail, and she wore very little makeup.

She didn’t want the media or the foreign ministers to think she was there just to add some glamour to the occasion, she wanted to be taken seriously.

She arrived in the car flanked by Brad Conway and Bono feeling more than a little jittery, not so much at the forthcoming meeting, but the fact there was so many camera’s flashing.

All her life had been practically caught on the camera and she had always had the media’s attention, it was something she was used to. But today it was a little discomfiting, this was about her. She was not the face and figure promoting some product or designer clothes, it was far more personal than that, and it would be the first public appearance with Bono on a high profiled activist campaign.

She still had concerns that the paparazzi would bring up what had happened in their past and make a big deal out of that, instead of the real reason why they were here

Whilst Anneka for the most part kept her head bowed, Bono happily smiled and waved to the crowd of photographers and television camera’s who were shouting and trying to get their attention and a good picture.

Then as they stepped into the building where the meeting was being held Anneka felt Bono’s hand slide into hers, squeezing it with a gentle reassurance that everything was going to be alright.

They emerged several hours later, this time slipping out the back way mostly un noticed into a waiting car that would take them back to the hotel.

Although being fortified with a few glasses of wine Anneka was a mixture of emotions as she sat in the back of the car with Bono and Brad trying to assess
their progress,.

Bono had done most of the talking, but he had graciously let Brad and Anneka get their piece in too. The ministers seemed to have listened attentively enough, and they praised then for what they were trying to do, even admitting more needed to be done.

But they had not exactly been forthcoming with pledges or promises that they would help take up the cause. Some of them had been more enthusiastic than others, she had to admit. She had come away still uncertain that any significant action was going to happen, although happy she had been able to talk and get their point of view across, she wasn’t sure it had been enough.

But then Bono had warned this was the way it could work before the meeting took place. And she felt she had to be content that at least they acknowledged their was a problem, That in a world of supposedly plenty, people and children where dying of hunger and diseases. But it just wasn’t going to go away by ignoring it, now people were not going to stand for it anymore, and those in power had to sort something out even though it would not be an easy task.

“It was kind of ironic how it all ended” she spoke up catching the attention of Bono and Brad’s who had been conversing between them, they turn to stare at her questioningly

“There we were, banging on about how wrong it was about people starving in the world, and we were all agreeing how terrible it was and something should be done.” her smile was full of irony as she continued, “Then when the meeting ends we get invited to this huge four course meal, with enough food to feed half of Africa, for just a dozen people or so and half of it will end in the trash” she pointed out with a small twisted smile

“I hope you both didn’t mind me wanting to leave early.. I just didn’t have much of an appetite” she then apologised.

Bono’s smile was sympathetic and understanding “I know, it gets to you sometimes, the ways of the world are a mystery to me .. But it doesn’t stop me trying to change it”

“I was glad you made an excuse for leaving early” Brad confessed, “I never feel quite comfortable sitting trying to make idle chitchat over dinner with those people, if you hadn’t of said something I probably would” he confessed

“I wish I could have transported them to Africa , to one of those refugee camps right there and then. Let them stay there for a week or so” Anneka then said wistfully. “Make them picture it was their families and friends and people they loved going through deprivation, I bet suddenly they would change their priorities.. I know it made me change mine”

“Yeah being there seeing it for yourself does have a profound affect” Bono agreed soberly

“It certainly does, I never realised how sensitive I was to those less well of to myself.. I had never give it much consideration” Anneka admitted. “Yet when I returned home.. I found myself looking at what I had. possessions I had bought clothes, pieces of art and furnishings that I cherished that cost enough money to feed hundreds of dying children twenty times over. I felt so guilty I almost felt ill. Suddenly they became meaningless to me a, just a reminder of the selfish fickle world we live in”

She shook her head recalling the defining moment, “That was when I decided I just couldn’t sit back and not do anything, So a lot of my stuff ended up in a charity auction.. And I don’t regret it one little bit”

“Well, I am proud of you Annie” Bono told her, “and Brad here has been singing your praises, saying how much you have helped and all that you have done.. You should be proud of yourself”

Anneka just smiled wryly “Maybe, but no matter how much I do, it still never seems enough” she replied

“We all feel like that” Brad soothed her, “But as Bono says, it doesn’t stop us trying, and as long as the likes of you and Bono get it to the public attention, the more will listen the more the people in power will have to sit up and take notice and we will make progress”

“I guess so” Anneka nodded, “After all if we don’t do it, who else will” she finished philosophically .

Bono had to return back to Dublin that evening, to get back to his musical commitments with the rest of the band, but before going he managed to catch up with Anneka in her hotel room just before she was due to go out on the town for a meal with Brad and his wife Mary that evening.

Anneka had changed again into a strapless red dress, that revealed much of her bare flesh front and back and was putting on matching red shoes when she opened the door to admit Bono.

“Hi thought I would just drop in before I go to say goodbye” he remarked. She could feel his eyes, naked without his usual shades, shooting her a quick appreciative all over glance

“Sorry I can’t stay longer and go out with you guys for a meal, but you know how it is, business calls, and some things just won‘t wait” he finished ruefully

“It is alright” Anneka replied, “We understand, and you can’t let the band down.. You will let them know I was asking about them.. Its been such a long time from I seen the others.. You know from what happened, it never seemed right talking with them and not talking to you” she finished a little awkwardly

“Well actually that’s why I dropped in” Bono informed her, “Edge and the others where asking about you as well when I was talking to them on the phone. They would love it if you could meet up with us all next week when we are in London promoting our new album, you know, give us all a chance to catch up properly”

“Y’know I think I would really like that” Anneka smiled “and if I get the time I will do my best to make it” she promised

“I will let them know” Bono replied smiling enthusiastically, “It will be great, just like the old days”

“Well not quite” Anneka reminded him “A lot of things have changed” her expression became more sober .

“You are still a beautiful lady Annie” Bono told her putting his arms around and embracing her, “Not only from the outside, but inside too, I am so glad we are friends again, thank you for giving me a second chance.. I promise you won‘t regret it”

The moment was almost too intimate for Anneka’s comfort, the feel of Bono’s hands seem to burn an imprint on her the bare skin of her back where they rested, She tried to resist the pull of his complimentary remarks, which seem to weave a spell and draw her too close for comfort, she wondered did he realise he could have that affect on her.

Sometimes she wished he wasn’t quite so open with his feelings it could be quite disarming when caught unawares like now, she tconvinced herself he was just being so emotional because they had just made up again, and there was nothing overly personal about it other than her imagination. She manage to pull away from him, hoping she sounded light hearted as she manage to find her voice.

“I know I won’t regret it Bono” she told him “You are a beautiful person too and I am glad we are still friends” she found herself emphasising the last word, somewhat subconsciously drawing a line between them. Then glancing at her watch she let out a small exclamation “Oh, I really got to go.. I was suppose to meet Brad and Mary down in the foyer ten minutes ago” she realised

“Then I better not hold you up any longer” Bono replied planting a brief kiss on her cheek, hopefully catch you next week, but I will probably phone you in between then” he informed her.

“Sure fine” Anneka nodded and smiled, “I look forward to it” but still she found it hard to meet his blue eyes directly, not wanting him to see how he had manage to send her emotions tumbling into a strange knot in the pit of her stomach and she wasn’t sure quite why but she felt she just had to escape.

I am hoping to get a little more drama and action going in the next few chapters to liven it up a bit:wink:

Back
Top Bottom