MERGED ----> Special Olympics 2003 + Special Olympics in Ireland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the speaker (I do not know if of radio or TV) was mistaken, when Pride began he said New Year's Day :p

(I feel very vain for notice those so simple details)

I know jackinthebox I heard that! That was the radio guy who wouldn't stop talking! If you watch the video version you can hear Bono presenting Nelson Mandela when they come out hand in hand :love:
It was a great performance, I just wish I could see it better on my computer!

img]http://homepage.mac.com/macduane/.Pictures/so20.jpg[/img]
so21.jpg

so22.jpg

so23.jpg

so24.jpg

so25.jpg

so26.jpg

so27.jpg

U2SJ said:
I know jackinthebox I heard that! That was the radio guy who wouldn't stop talking! If you watch the video version you can hear Bono presenting Nelson Mandela when they come out hand in hand :love:
It was a great performance, I just wish I could see it better on my computer!

yes, already I watched the video! although I hope that way somebody takes pity of me and upload to download the video in some Web... and not the 4 hours! only the part of U2 that is the one that interests to me

Last edited:
Great performance by U2! We?ve seen an orchestra version of One with Bono / The Edge / Brian Eno (War Child Bosnia) ? with Bono / Zucchero (Net Aid) ? with Bono / Daniel Lanois (Millennium New Year?s Eve) ? with Bono / Zucchero? / female backing singers (War Child Iraq) ? and now with all of U2 (Special Olympics Dublin). What is everybody?s favourite?

Pride performed live usually features a snippet of MLK?s ?I Have Been To The Mountain Top? speech. So to have Bono bring out Nelson Mandela was quite special. And with the Mandela SOS Concert for the AIDS Emergency in Africa rescheduled the day before for November 30th we have another powerful moment to look forward to

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!??? :sad:

I know this Spanish girl who got a ticket for the ceremony because she's working as a volunteer. The night before the ceremony I told her: Alright, make sure to take tons of pics and if you see Bono tell him that he owes me a dance ( here we go again with the dance thing! lol) and to play in Dublin soon!

Yesterday, I was at home watching the ceremony and I had my mobile in my bag so I didn't hear it ringing. And guess who was calling? Yes! My friend! She was standing right in front of the stage! She called me so I could hear them play live through my mobile!

I swear I could kick my self for being such an arse!!!!!! :madspit:

a-mole said:
:hmm: is Adam wearing contacts now or what?
I actually like dhim with glasses a lot :sad:

He could be wearing contacts but, I don't think so. He could've gotten that laser eye surgery. My friend had it done, and the way they do it now it's risk free. If it doesn't work, the worst that can happen is your eyesight will be the same as it was. You can't loose your sight from having the procedure. So my guess is that's what he did.

But, I could very well be wrong too. hehe.

I happen to like him without glasses. And the silver hair makes the whole look I think. :yes:

:wave:

~J

Nice pictures! :love: Thanks for finding them! I tried to look but my computer was too slow :grumpy:

only the part of U2 that is the one that interests to me

Why do you think U2's purpose is in performing as part of this show?

Think about it.

Anyways, thanks U2. Once more you showed me that you are the best band ever on the planet and you were the most fitting act between all the other amazing performances and the final intro from Mandela.

How did I miss this? What kind of an arse am I???? I knew it was happening, but somehow had no idea it was being televised!

BAH!

:rant: :banghead: :yell:

Maybe it will either be repeated, or I can get someone to make me a tape.

Mrs. Edge said:
How did I miss this? What kind of an arse am I???? I knew it was happening, but somehow had no idea it was being televised!

BAH!

:rant: :banghead: :yell:

Maybe it will either be repeated, or I can get someone to make me a tape.

You can still see it. Here's the link to RTE news. It's the entire opening ceremony. U2's performance is at 3 hours 37 minutes.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/games2003/index.html

?There?s No Them, There Is Only Us?

?Nelson Mandela.....This is the president, not just of South Africa, or Africa, this is the president of everywhere and everyone who loves and fights for freedom...? - Bono

??..a telling testimony to the indestructibility of the human spirit and of our capacity to overcome hardships and obstacles. ?..inspire us to know that all obstacles to human achievement and progress are surmountable. ??remind us of the potential greatness that reside in every one of us.? ? Mandela (inspiring words to hear no matter to whom or on what occasion!)

Niamh_Saoirse said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!??? :sad:

I know this Spanish girl who got a ticket for the ceremony because she's working as a volunteer. The night before the ceremony I told her: Alright, make sure to take tons of pics and if you see Bono tell him that he owes me a dance ( here we go again with the dance thing! lol) and to play in Dublin soon!

Yesterday, I was at home watching the ceremony and I had my mobile in my bag so I didn't hear it ringing. And guess who was calling? Yes! My friend! She was standing right in front of the stage! She called me so I could hear them play live through my mobile!

I swear I could kick my self for being such an arse!!!!!! :madspit:

That totally sucks!!!:scream:

:hug:

gabrielvox said:

Why do you think U2's purpose is in performing as part of this show?

Think about it.

Anyways, thanks U2. Once more you showed me that you are the best band ever on the planet and you were the most fitting act between all the other amazing performances and the final intro from Mandela.

I'm a strong supporter of the Olympic movement, in spite of the recent politics and other :censored: stupid stuff that has happened around it. I got a buzz when I saw the Iraqi delegation come in and there was a huge cheer. Sports can bring the world together--as can rock 'n roll. U2 were a perfect band to help their country welcome all of these athletes.

Back
Top Bottom