MERGED --> Larry and cats: a side by side comparison + FINALLY-the REAL reason LARRY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The CAT User Manual from Bono The Cyber Cat
Meet Bono, The Cat Who Rules the Web, with cat (and human) members in 60 countries. Send free digital postcards, and read the only 'zine by cats, for cats and about cats!

SORRY GUYS SHUT DOWN NOW:(

FINALLY-the REAL reason LARRY hates cats

extract taken from

www.sundayherald.com

Bono will tell you two facts about Larry Mullen Jr (and rarely has the “Junior” been so apt): he is resistant to the ravages of time because, like Dorian Gray, he keeps a painting in his attic that ages horribly every year while Mullen preserves his boyish looks. He calls this hideous image “Bono”. Secondly, never get into a fight with Mullen because he’s always got back-up. “He might not necessarily thump you,” Bono explains, “but you never know who’s around the corner.”

But right now, the taut, tough beat-master is observing a cute kitten as it skitters across the bare boards toward him. The tiny ball of fur, no bigger than one of his sneakers, suddenly lunges and the fearless drummer shrieks like a girl. “I hate cats,” he shudders, pathetically attempting to regain his composure. “I had a terrible experience with one as a child.”

I TOLD YOU IT STEMED FROM CHILDHOOD
:(

POOR LARRY,GIVE HIM A DAY WITH ME AND I'LL HAVE HIM LOVING OUR FELINE FRIENDS BY THE END OF IT

in his heart he doesn't hate them,I think he's just scared...:hug: for larry from passingcat

My mum always said the best cat is a dead cat. I believe her 'cos I've never liked them but dogs are cool - the bigger the better as opposed to those little ankle biter creatures a lot of celebs are carrying around :|

Re: FINALLY-the REAL reason LARRY hates cats

passingcat said:
extract taken from

www.sundayherald.com

Bono will tell you two facts about Larry Mullen Jr (and rarely has the “Junior” been so apt): he is resistant to the ravages of time because, like Dorian Gray, he keeps a painting in his attic that ages horribly every year while Mullen preserves his boyish looks. He calls this hideous image “Bono”. Secondly, never get into a fight with Mullen because he’s always got back-up. “He might not necessarily thump you,” Bono explains, “but you never know who’s around the corner.”

But right now, the taut, tough beat-master is observing a cute kitten as it skitters across the bare boards toward him. The tiny ball of fur, no bigger than one of his sneakers, suddenly lunges and the fearless drummer shrieks like a girl. “I hate cats,” he shudders, pathetically attempting to regain his composure. “I had a terrible experience with one as a child.”

I TOLD YOU IT STEMED FROM CHILDHOOD
:(

POOR LARRY,GIVE HIM A DAY WITH ME AND I'LL HAVE HIM LOVING OUR FELINE FRIENDS BY THE END OF IT

in his heart he doesn't hate them,I think he's just scared...:hug: for larry from passingcat

I think you might be right with that. And remember, he's a dog person. :wink:

Who's kitten was it?

Anyway, I had a bad experience with a dog when I was a child, and a worse one when I was grown. But I don't let it make me hate all dogs. Dogs, like cats, like humans, are all different. Some are nice, some are assholes. You can't hold what one did against them all. If you did that would be a bad thing for humans. Could you image someone going "I hate people, I had a bad experience with one when I was a child" Duh. Don't we ALL have a bad experience at one time or another? No need to hold it against an entire species. Sorry that just really infuriates me when I hear someone say that about animals.:mad: :down: :madspit:

Also, my daughter has a friend who is afraid of cats because of some experience her Grandma, not even herself, had years ago. When she comes over here, I have to stash the cats (a chore you can image with 5) and if she sees one sitting there, she will start shaking and going "is he gonna bite me?" I want to laugh! If anyone knew anything about cats they'd know they don't just run up and bite like a dog does. It's sad, really, how people miss out on the love animals give due to some ridiculous, unfounded fear.:(

I just wonder what experiences you can have with a cat that makes you hate and fear them for the rest of your lives??? :scratch:

It's daft alright. When I was little I remember lying on my bed cuddling my cat, and suddenly she darted out her paw and stuck a claw in my eye. It hurt like hell, as I'm sure you can imagine! I might have been traumatised for life :wink:, but I realized it was my own fault: the cat had become mesmerized by the movements of my eye at close quarters and instinct had taken over for a second. Cats don't have very big brains, after all. Like all animals, if you take their point of view into account - we're supposed to be the smarter species, so it's up to us - you'll get along splendidly.

U mean he doesn't like pussy? Unbelievable, and I thought the guy was 100% straight! U learn something new everyday.

Rachel D. said:
Some cats are really discusting. All they do is poop and kill birds.

Same could be said of a great many humans :tsk:

To me cats are bundles of love, the best friends I've ever known. Honestly, it hurts me to think of anyone 'hating' them. :(

I believe though that most people who say the 'hate' them never really knew one, or never got close enough to know them.

Ancalagon, thanks for not holding it against your kitty, I'm sure he didn't mean to. :hug: My husband, and my kids, have elbowed me in the eye or the ribs in the bed accidently, I'm not tossing them and hating them for it!

Rachel D. said:
Some cats are really discusting. All they do is poop and kill birds.

some people really get angry that cats need to poop like everyone else-are you polite enough to bury it afterwards?

they also control vermin

Victorians used them in the kitchens to stop disease spreading from rats and because they found them so affectionate started letting them live in the house,Queen Victoria had a russian blue...

theblack death was caused by suspicious people killing off all the cats,believing them to belong to witches,so the rat race thrived and wiped out most of London

In vietnam,-because people mindlessly killed off cats their rice fields were destroyed by vermin,there is now a law forbiding anyone killing cats and they are like gold dust overthere-my brother lived there for 3 years and had his cat stolen...

Its sad that this forum is attracting some cat haters-I think until you have owned a cat and understand the love they lavish on you and how clever and astute they are,its easy to claim you don't like them-
:( :( :( :(

Last edited:
MsGiggles said:
My mum always said the best cat is a dead cat. I believe her 'cos I've never liked them but dogs are cool - the bigger the better as opposed to those little ankle biter creatures a lot of celebs are carrying around :|

I think she'd change her mind if she got mice or rats

I don't understand how anyone can agree a mini tiger dead?

It makes my stomach wrench:(

I DISLIKE cats also.
But for no perticular reason,just because they frighten me. & Im a dog person.

[ Alot of my friend have cats, Ive pet them & I guess hung around them but. I just dont perfer them over dogs ]

* pets golden retriever *

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Same could be said of a great many humans :tsk:

To me cats are bundles of love, the best friends I've ever known. Honestly, it hurts me to think of anyone 'hating' them. :(

I believe though that most people who say the 'hate' them never really knew one, or never got close enough to know them.

Ancalagon, thanks for not holding it against your kitty, I'm sure he didn't mean to. :hug: My husband, and my kids, have elbowed me in the eye or the ribs in the bed accidently, I'm not tossing them and hating them for it!

agree whole heartedly

also very affectionate loving people often really love cats-kindred spirits....

the Egyptians worshipped them and they never forgot :wink:

you would be put to death even for accidently killing a cat-even if you were the king-if you acidently killed the cat you were a gonna

too right !!!!:happy:

FYI if this thread continues to turn into a cat bashing thread I will close it. It's fine to say you dislike cats, I dislike dogs but I wouldnt say the best kind of dogs are dead :| That's just rude. Please keep the rude comments to yourself. I am a cat lover and so is the owner of this board and since it is privately owned and operated, we decide what is allowed to be posted here and cat bashing will absolutely not be tolerated.

Sicy said:
FYI if this thread continues to turn into a cat bashing thread I will close it. It's fine to say you dislike cats, I dislike dogs but I wouldnt say the best kind of dogs are dead :| That's just rude. Please keep the rude comments to yourself. I am a cat lover and so is the owner of this board and since it is privately owned and operated, we decide what is allowed to be posted here and cat bashing will absolutely not be tolerated.

I thought I was just exercising my freedom of expression here (as I see a lot of people doing so on Interference) and the comment in question was posed more as joke and in no way did I even insinuate that I kill, have killed or would kill a cat just because it's a cat....(or other animal). If anybody was offended by it, then I appologize.....life goes on

U2Kitten said:
Who's kitten was it?

Anyway, I had a bad experience with a dog when I was a child, and a worse one when I was grown. But I don't let it make me hate all dogs. Dogs, like cats, like humans, are all different. Some are nice, some are assholes. You can't hold what one did against them all. If you did that would be a bad thing for humans. Could you image someone going "I hate people, I had a bad experience with one when I was a child" Duh. Don't we ALL have a bad experience at one time or another? No need to hold it against an entire species. Sorry that just really infuriates me when I hear someone say that about animals.:mad: :down: :madspit:

Don't be too hard on little Larry. A phobia's a phobia, its not something he would be able to control without some sort of therapy.

Phobia's can stem from almost anything. A traumatic experience could be as little as a cat jumping out from behind a bush and scaring the daylights out of a toddler Larry, or as something as bad as one sleeping on his head when he was a baby. We just don't know, and we probably never will.
And remember, saying "I hate cats," is probably Larry's tough guy way of saying he's terrified of kitties.

I love all animals, and cats will always be my favourite, and, as much as I'd like to hear Larry say he loves cats too, I have to accept it's not gonna happen......
Unless we somehow get him to a psychiatrist....... :hmm: *plots kidnapping*

Last edited:
Personally, I'm a bit more partial to dogs, simply because those are what my family has owned throughout my life. However, I have no problems with cats whatsoever. I do think they can be really cute little animals :). There's good and bad in all animal species.

Anywho, on to Larry...if cats aren't his thing, then they aren't his thing. I can't stand spiders, but I also know some people who love 'em and even keep them as pets. To each their own :shrug:.

Angela

I can see why Larry would "hate" them if he's had a traumatic experience with one; I've been afraid of almost any insect with a stinger after I had a horrible allergic reaction to a bee sting when I was 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom