MERGED--> Keane's Tom Chaplin: I Wanted To Kill Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaz02

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Tom Chapplin ( keane ) v Bono

Keane singer Tom Chaplin admitted that he got a strange urge to kill Bono when the pair met.

Chaplin and co. supported U2 on the American leg of the ‘Vertigo’ tour and says a weird thought came over him when he was backstage.

He told Q Magazine that he spotted some kitchen knives, saying: "The thought just came to me, 'I'll kill Bono.' Like when a Tube train's approaching and you get the urge to jump."

Tom Chaplin killing Bono - now that would have been a news story

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=17732

dont worry tom we all feel that way sometimes lol.

Keane's Tom Chaplin: I Wanted To Kill Bono

Keane singer Tom Chaplin admitted that he got a strange urge to kill Bono when the pair met.

Chaplin and co. supported U2 on the American leg of the ‘Vertigo’ tour and says a weird thought came over him when he was backstage.

He told Q Magazine that he spotted some kitchen knives, saying: "The thought just came to me, 'I'll kill Bono.' Like when a Tube train's approaching and you get the urge to jump. Since then I've been having fantasies about this."

Tom Chaplin killing Bono - now that would have been a news story.

:yikes: :eyebrow: :|

Last edited:
Well, Keane will be taken off any future guest lists for U2 concerts from now on.

:huh:

When I saw Bono, I wanted to run up and give him a hug. Though there was that rail and a large security guard, and a big crowd.

Where did you read this article? I read the gigwise link and there was no mention of the last line, "Since then I've been having fantasies about this" Thanks.

smileplease said:
I think he was having a little bit of fun. A 'dry' sense of humour and all that....

I think so too, at worst it's probably just a bizzare moment that went through his mind.

Well, Hinkley shot Reagan because he wanted to get Jodie Foster's attention, maybe Tom is all hot for Henry Rollins?

okay - total nerd moment about to happen

Has anyone ever heard of the "The Imp Of The Perverse" by Edgar Allan Poe?

The cliff notes version goes like this - say you're standing on the ledge of a balcony with another person and you think, for just a moment, that you could totally push that other person off the ledge but you don't because - you're a good person, God doesn't want you to, it would be wrong, you'd go to jail (whatever social reason works for you)

Poe argues that we all have a bit of a Perverse Imp in us but most rarely, if ever, act upon these thoughts. It seems that Tom Chaplin was just verbalizing his perverse imp to the the wrong person

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/gsr/impperve.htm

Last edited:
nurse chrissi said:

The cliff notes version goes like this - say you're standing on the ledge of a balcony with another person and you think, for just a moment, that you could totally push that other person off the ledge but you don't because - you're a good person, God doesn't want you to, it would be wrong, you'd go to jail (whatever social reason works for you)

Poe argues that we all have a bit of a Perverse Imp in us but most rarely, if ever, act upon these thoughts. It seems that Tom Chaplin was just verbalizing his perverse imp to the the wrong person

http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/gsr/impperve.htm

That was interesting. Thanks for posting it! :D

nurse chrissi said:
we all have a bit of a Perverse Imp in us but most rarely, if ever, act upon these thoughts. It seems that Tom Chaplin was just verbalizing his perverse imp to the the wrong person

url]http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/gsr/impperve.htm[/url]

that was kind of the take i got on it too. :nerd:

I think we all have a Pervese Imp. For example, at my old job I used to sit in meetings and wish I knew how to projectile vomit. I know, EW! But it was the Perverese Imp, not me! :wink:

Bono Mot said:
I think we all have a Pervese Imp. For example, at my old job I used to sit in meetings and wish I knew how to projectile vomit. I know, EW! But it was the Perverese Imp, not me! :wink:

"that was the perverese imp, not me" I think I'm going to have to use that

Ack! Typo! "Perverse," I meant...and now too late to edit. Lashings of apologies. :reject:

nurse chrissi said:

"Perverse Imp?" Nice theory, but I'm not buying it. I've read some Edgar Allan Poe, but I've also read some psychology. Chaplin's urge to harm one of the world's most famous people and then tell the press about it sounds more like a big red flag for mental illness. The man needs help, IMO.

LMBLover said:
Okay here's something...about that Henry Rollins statement...he's not too fond of Bono is he? I've heard that somewhere before, I think...What's his problem?!:eyebrow:

Henry Rollins has come right out and said that somebody should kill Bono, and he wasn't being dry, wry or making any literary allusions. That's why I wasn't too happy with the title of the book, it had been said before in non-tongue-in-cheek fashion. This guy has SERIOUS problems. He has despised yer man literally longer than some posters to this board have been alive. He even went off on a tirade about how Bono's ass looked in the Red Rocks video! But mind you, he hates the rest of the band, too!

He's made a career out of intimidating pseudo-intellectuals into turning him into some supposed avant-garde god who deflects all criticism, because if you don't like him, then it is because you're stupid and don't get him!! Basically, his talent lies in being really, really mad because he had a bad mother and a bad childhood. OH, GET IN LINE!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom