MERGED --> hello, hello + back with new computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte

The Fly
hello, hello

Hello, verte76 here with a temporary account. I'm having to use my dad's computer so I opened this up to avoid going through blue crack withdrawal. I can't do pix or anything right now, and in fact I'll have to start over on my photo collection when I get my new computer. :censored: :censored: It's so strange to be doing this on another computer, and let's just say, uh, I'm not used to this status. Oh well.

My other computer was going great last week, but Saturday morning it started to slow down. It was maybe a piece of screwy software I put it in, I don't know. It just kept going downhill, everything stopped working, I eventually couldn't get into any of my programs. So we had to pull the plug on the thing this morning and order a Hewlard-Packard from the local computer store.

hey verte, what's wrong with the PC? Anything I can help with? (I repair PCs for a living)

Just one suggestion - if it had Windows XP you can do a system restore. Not a complete destructive restore, but just roll the whole thing back to an earlier date. It gives you a calendar and you click on a date when you remember the computer working and it will put everything back to that. So if it was some software you installed, this would fix the problem in half an hour.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
hey verte, what's wrong with the PC? Anything I can help with? (I repair PCs for a living)

Just one suggestion - if it had Windows XP you can do a system restore. Not a complete destructive restore, but just roll the whole thing back to an earlier date. It gives you a calendar and you click on a date when you remember the computer working and it will put everything back to that. So if it was some software you installed, this would fix the problem in half an hour.

I tried System Restore, and couldn't open the program. I think it was a hardware problem of some sort. I couldn't get into any of my programs. It was maddening.

verte said:

I tried System Restore, and couldn't open the program. I think it was a hardware problem of some sort. I couldn't get into any of my programs. It was maddening.

Did you try it in Safe Mode?

Hi Verte! :wave:

I had a problem like that with my computer once. I found out that my antispyware program was blocking all the programs. Like exe things. etc. :huh:
Maybe thats the problem.

Did you try it in Safe Mode?

I couldn't get into Safe Mode. I'm telling you, this thing was a f:censored:g mess. I couldn't open my Word program. I couldn't open anything. It was a mess. We figured I was going to need a new computer soon anyway so we went ahead and did it.

verte said:

I couldn't get into Safe Mode. I'm telling you, this thing was a f:censored:g mess. I couldn't open my Word program. I couldn't open anything. It was a mess. We figured I was going to need a new computer soon anyway so we went ahead and did it.

Hmmm....well, you should be able to do a destructive restore since doing so won't require Safe Mode or the computer to boot of its hard drive (well, at least not the damaged Windows partition).

Watcha gonna do with the old computer?

back with new computer

Well, I'm back with my premuim account and a new computer! It's great to have a new computer! And now I have to go find my pix..........hope it's not too hard.

where's the old one?

Shot to bits. It stopped working, and I couldn't even open System Restore on it. We think some bad software might have been the culprit, but we're not sure. We gave it to the Salvation Army.

verte76 said:

Shot to bits. It stopped working, and I couldn't even open System Restore on it. We think some bad software might have been the culprit, but we're not sure. We gave it to the Salvation Army.

That's good. I was wondering where it went after it died b/c I was going to suggest what you did. :)

Back
Top Bottom