MERGED ----> did anyone notice....? (regarding Original of the Species :)) + thanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_girlie_2002

War Child
did anyone notice....? (regarding Original of the Species :))

I bought the album last Wednesday and its growing on me and I'm starting to love it. Anyway, I realized something. Does anyone remember the 60 Minutes interview from 2000? If you do, do you remember the song that Bono played for whateverhernameis in his car?
The song for his daughters? Well, at that point it was a "work in progress" now, its Original of the Species. :):) I picked up on it right away because of the verse "Everywhere you go you shout it
You don’t have to be shy about it"
I just thought that was really cool :) Lucky girls :)

Last edited:
It was originally meant for Edge's oldest daughter (his godchild).
At about 3 min into the song, just before the too-do's , you can hear him say "here's your father", then Edge's guitar comes in.

How cute! I thought that was about his girls! Good job noticing that connection!

thanks!

you guys are good! I had been thinking the same thing after hearing the song...just hadn't had a chance to re-watch the 60 minutes interview....
its a great song

oops - sorry didn't mean to start a new thread...not paying attention while posting....
should have posted the reply to "did anyone notice original of species"
sorry guys......

Yes, I did notice right away after hearing the ipod performance. I loved that particular interview/piece and used to get that song in my head a lot (rather annoying when you only know a single line).

Re: did anyone notice....? (regarding Original of the Species :))

u2_girlie_2002 said:
I bought the album last Wednesday and its growing on me and I'm starting to love it. Anyway, I realized something. Does anyone remember the 60 Minutes interview from 2000? If you do, do you remember the song that Bono played for whateverhernameis in his car?
The song for his daughters? Well, at that point it was a "work in progress" now, its Original of the Species. :):) I picked up on it right away because of the verse "Everywhere you go you shout it
You don’t have to be shy about it"
I just thought that was really cool :) Lucky girls :)

That's the first thing I noticed! I have that interview :D

The minute I heard OOTS, I thought of the 60 mintues interview. It's amazing to think that some of these songs have been around since the end of the last tour.

p.s. the interview isn't anything spectacular. It's mostly about Drop the Debt. the only really cool part is when Bono shows off some U2 haunts in Dublin.

You can watch portions of the 60 Minutes interview at cbs.com, and atu2.com have the entire transcript archived. It last aired on Feb. 20, 2002.

BTW, Bono himself never said that the song heard in his car was about his daughters; the reporter said that, in a voiceover. Of course, she was presumably quoting him; but, since both Bono and Edge later said that OOTS was about Edge's daughter, it's possible the reporter misheard.

Q MAGAZINE, Oct. 10, 2002: "Edge buries his navy blue skull-capped head into a bulging slip-case of CD-Rs and locates his favorite mix of 'Original of the Species,' a slinky pop song built around a primitive riff, with shades of Bowie's 'Aladdin Sane.' Bono is on his feet in an instant and monkey-stepping to the loping groove, singing away and proudly declaring, 'This one's about Edge's daughter.'"

Q MAGAZINE, Oct. 2, 2004 [Edge, describing OOTS]: "It was a song Bono started on the last record about my daughter Hollie. He's her godfather. The lyric became more universal. About being young and full of doubt about yourself."

Actually, that "more universal" comment probably has the most relevant point to make about the "who" behind this lyric, i.e., that trying to interpret OOTS too literally as "Bono's letter to ---" is likely only to distort his intended meaning.

That said, Bono's most recent comments on OOTS do suggest that he still has someone(s) pretty specific in mind for this lyric. From an excellent track-by-track band commentary found in Universal Music Deutschland's HTDAAB press release, and available on several German music sites, including U2tour.de:

[Bono on OOTS]: "...it's about seeing some people who are ashamed of their bodies, in particular teenagers with eating disorders, not feeling comfortable with themselves and their sexuality."

BTW, greety, you might want to share your interpretation with the folks at u2wanderer, who transcribed that bit as "Here comes the frog now" followed by "Dibbit, dibbit, dibbit..."!!!!

yolland said:

BTW, greety, you might want to share your interpretation with the folks at u2wanderer, who transcribed that bit as "Here comes the frog now" followed by "Dibbit, dibbit, dibbit..."!!!!

lol That's so funny.
No, usually I'm terrible at understanding the things Bono says/ sings between verses, but I'm quite proud i got this one.
Of course, knowing it was about Holly helped a tiny bit.:wink:

to add another comment: bono's thoughts on 'original of the species' (from the k-rock listening party the other sunday):

'if anyone has gone through a crisis of confidence in their life, and they didn't like what they saw in the mirror... and they look around and see other people who seem to have it all... this is the song for you.'

love this song.

:up:

dandy said:
to add another comment: bono's thoughts on 'original of the species' (from the k-rock listening party the other sunday):

'if anyone has gone through a crisis of confidence in their life, and they didn't like what they saw in the mirror... and they look around and see other people who seem to have it all... this is the song for you.'

love this song.

:up:

:love:

I know Bono said, the song was first written for Hollie.
But I think, it is about himself! In the HTDAAB-book Bono wrote, that he nearly lost all his confidence after his mother's death.
So in my opinion it is more about himself than he might admit... (I think even Edge mentioned it... I'm not quit sure)

Hey, yeah, that makes sense. He also said that when he and Gavin (or was it Guggi?) were really small, Gavin used to give Bono half of his money whenever he got some.
Aww, now isn't that cute?

Back
Top Bottom