MERGED--> Bono in Washington tomorrow? + Bono at National Prayer Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nenril said:

It's ok lol :hug: That's me - always 2 mins too late :lol:

At least now I know how to get to those damn clips, hehe :evil:

The first step is to find the link to the actual video file. With regular Windows Media Player od Real Player it's quite easy, but CNN uses Flash player just to make our lives harder :wink: You have to right-click in your browser window (on the player) and select "show source" or something like that (I have Polish version of Windows, so it's my translation). A Notepad window will open - in that mess you have to find something that resembles a link - look for popular Win video extensions (asx,asf, wmv etc.).

Now you'll need a program that can rip streaming video. I used WM Recorder. Paste the link into the URL window, select it, and hit 'Record'. That's it :)
\

you can use google for that last step....
also I tried to rightclick on it.. but it didn't work.... I think the official site blocks rightclicking(I didn't try the CNN one yet) .. thanks for the tips :)

nenril said:
yes, if you have the link .wmv or else... paste that link into google...press search... it'll say no matches found.. but it'll make the link clickable... right click, save target as.. voila ^^

nenril said:
Oh... never tried this before, thanks :)

But with this one it wouldn't work I'm afraid. Even Streambox VCR couldn't download it, same goes with webcasts. Luckily WM Rec. works fine (downloading Davos clips right now :evil: )
where'd you get that program?? I have a lot of streaming audio/video here and I'd like to have that here too (most of it are playlists... you can save them, but still need internet for the file...)

mybono said:

So if we are ever going to get serious of wiping out poverty, "making poverty history", we have change our attitudes, give Africians a voice. That also means we have to make sacrifices. We are living in a over- consumption, everything cheap lifestyles. Maybe Bono can afford the changes, but most won't.

Hey mybono,

I think it's great that you're getting informed about these issues and learning all the ins and outs of this. I have to admit that I don't know as much about it as I should but am trying to learn more since joining this message board. I went to see Bono speak last night and he addressed many of the issues you talked about, so I think that these things are being considered, in particular corruption in Africa and measuring the effectiveness of the programs being put into place. He also spoke at length about people being more willing to make sacrifices if you can prove that they are really helping and not 'throwing money down a rat hole'. I remember this quote in particular (not an exact quote, just what I remember)..."There's the saying that you can give a man a fish or you can teach a man to fish, and teaching people to fish is great but...most Africans that I've spoken with want to be able to SELL their fish". I really do think that the ONE campaign is trying to focus on empowering Africa, not throwing money at it.

Last edited:
mybono said:

Yeah I know what Bono is doing. But the question I like ask B is does he agree with the US, G8, the West development policies? Because I believe these are very policies that are causing the problems in the first place. And don't mean it started with Bush or Blair, it started years ago,even back to 1886 when European powers carve up Africa. It's all about power politcs. So if we are ever going to get serious of wiping out poverty, "making poverty history", we have change our attitudes, give Africians a voice. That also means we have to make sacrifices. We are living in a over- consumption, everything cheap lifestyles. Maybe Bono can afford the changes, but most won't. The free trade aggrements especially like NAFTA has been shit. Also, reform the global economy, reform or replace the UN, IMF, WB, and the WTO. Remember the mess of the WTO talks? It's going to keep happening unless we get serious about the what's going on. Sure aid is solution, but only for the short term. It might saved lives with AIDS crisis. But when Bono said "lets' make poverty history" it's not so easy! I feel Bono is not telling, or doesn't know the whole story. Does Bono know about overpopluation, the arms trade, human rights, climate change (big problem!) war, woman rights (Bush cut funding to the UN Popluation Fund) and POWER POLITICS!. Bono I think should go back to school. Go to university. Learn different theories about politics, not just PROFESSOR SACHS views! I studied Political Science at university and I loved it! I do feel Bono is getting to touchy with Bush. A man who has cause so much misery for so many in the world. This man does not deserve any hugs or praise from anyone especially from the "spokesman for the poor" Bono.

Hi there! First let me say I HAVE studied development, economics, business, and politics at university. I've also studied third world development and non-profit aid organizations while being IN Africa. I have always been skeptical of Bono's ideas and it wasn't until I spent a month in Africa that I realized he was completely and totally RIGHT. You have to step back from the issue and how it is sensationalized here and see that this is not about money, or food, or AIDS, it's about a total lack of development, period. Africa does not need food, they do not need our money - the need the most basic things that are the foundation for progressive political and economic development: health care, education, and infrastructure. I threw all my political and economic theories that I learned while comfortably existing at a good school in a First World country out the door after my first 24 hours in East Africa.

As for Bush, he has listened to Bono every step of the way and has tried again and again to make progress with these issues. I saw that sincerely as someone who does NOT support Bush in general. It's not his fault the American public couldn't care less about Africa. Bush doesn't get to decide how much money goes where and why and how. That's up to YOU AND I. It's not gettting done because it's not on anyone's political agenda. If citizens cared, politicians would start to pick up on it and being to work with these issues in their campaigns.

If Bono has to hug and kiss Bush in order to get the rest of American to even realize that Africa exists, then I guess he's just doing what he has to do to get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom