MERGED--> Bono in Washington tomorrow? + Bono at National Prayer Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nurse chrissi said:
56729947.jpg

oh please someone tell me I'm not seeing what I'm seeing here.

please. I really don't think I can go on :no: :no:

Dreamoutloud... I feel the same about that too... a friend today said something really bad about it.. we were having arguments for the millionth time.. he likes to discuss... he is a kinda nerdish, always talking about school.. and somehow we entered politics, and he was like yes all you can talk about is some lame irish leprechaun who pretends to know politics,... I defended him wiht saying At least he DOES something!
then he went like yeah, but what did he do for his own country? he's nothing more than a blown up idiot with a big head! He thinks he can do anything!
I got mad, and decided not to react or I would've gotten even angrier... and I didnt want to ruin me good mood.. but it DID hurt me that he said this.. why can't people respect others who try to change something... change isn't always a negative thing!

and wasn't tehre a story about Ali being elected as president of ireland or so??

I'm jealous too. I think that I at least get to touch Bono's hair before George Bush.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Watching that video had a rather strange effect on me. This is the first time I've ever seen video of Bono discussing God at length. The only reason I ever got into U2 in the first place was because of my admiration (and indeed, jealousy) of Bono's faith.
Watching that video sort of made me feel like I was in church. And you know, that's the first time I've felt like I was in church since the last time I was in church, which was almost two years ago.
Bono sounds like a really good Pastor when he speaks about God. Really good Pastors seem to be few and far between these days, but if I could just find one as good as Bono, I'd probably be more inclinded to go back to church. That said, watching the video left me wanting to cry, pray, and go to church.

Moving on from that, my admiration for him grows even more. Besides the fact that he's absolutely adorable, he has a wonderful sense of humour, particularly when it comes to poking fun at himself.
He's smarter than much of his goofball behaviour (for the love of all things rock and roll, do not give this man a tambourine, because then he will dance) would lead others to believe. This man knows his stuff, not just the bible, but cold hard facts about the world.
I have friends that just seem to loathe him for some reason. They don't like his music, but even so, they wish he'd stick to it, and quit trying to save the world. At least he's trying to make the world a better place. At least he's using the spotlight he's been given to make a difference. How is that not admirable?
I'm so sick of hearing people suggesting that there's no point. That Africa is a lost cause. What kind of monsters would we be if we didn't try? Rome wasn't built in a day. Africa won't overcome disease and poverty overnight. You can't expect results overnight. If you're not willing to lay the foundation, the building will never be built.

...And I kind of just went on a rant there, sorry :reject:

I'll just end this by agreeing with many of you:

Barack Obama :love:

I'll just add a big AMEN! to everything you just said.

Watching that made me kind of tear up myself, both for the strong admiration I feel for Bono and his belief in action, and a bit for my own somewhat lost faith (in what... God, people, not sure).

Thanks for putting into words what I've been feeling since last night.

:hug:

LostAtMoon said:

With both hands :tsk: and one of them is in his face :yuck:.

Maybe some of Bono's goodness will rub off on him???

(Sorry, I really, truly admire Bono and understand what he is doing -- you don't alienate some one you could get help from! Haven't we all done it at work or school or whatever? My problem is purely that I cannot abide Bush! Shutting up now.)

I fully understand people not liking Bono with Bush. However, I have seen Bono absolutely enchant hard-headed, judgmental people and make them more receptive and, well, more loving even. He has an amazing effect on them, and the rest of the band has done this also. :drool:

mybono said:

I feel this way myself..God..I can't believe it..Sad day for this U2 fan. Bono is hugging and smiling with a man responsible for war and trashing domestic and international law..It's just so sad..I wonder if this picture will be shown in South America when U2 plays there..Most people won't be too happy.

I totally agree with you dude....:tsk: That snake that Bono shook hands with....:barf: Bono should be president. What a speech though, thunmbs up for Bono!:up: :up:

DreamOutLoud13--

I also wanted to agree with everything you wrote.:up:

I watched the video and thought to myself---'why can't I find someone who preaches like Bono?' I also WANT to be a better Christian, because of him.

I :heart: Bono!!!

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures, the transcript of the entire speech, and links to video. I still think it looks like Bush's head was Photoshopped onto someone else's body. He is so good, and Bush is our national shame--just my opinion, of course. Don't know if this is the same video or not, but I think Bono looks and sounds amazing in it. Scroll down and click on Bono's picture--there's a short ad first.

http://usatoday.feedroom.com/ifr_ma...13e9x1093026a1faxw3d20&rdm=413488.73645741626

U2Girl1978 said:

Wow here comes the newcomers! You obviously have no idea what Bono is trying to do. Yes, people might not like this photo opportunity but he has to dance with the devil to get what he wants. Did you just come here to stir up trouble? Do you really care what Bono is trying to do? You just felt like bashing him because of this photo?

Yeah I know what Bono is doing. But the question I like ask B is does he agree with the US, G8, the West development policies? Because I believe these are very policies that are causing the problems in the first place. And don't mean it started with Bush or Blair, it started years ago,even back to 1886 when European powers carve up Africa. It's all about power politcs. So if we are ever going to get serious of wiping out poverty, "making poverty history", we have change our attitudes, give Africians a voice. That also means we have to make sacrifices. We are living in a over- consumption, everything cheap lifestyles. Maybe Bono can afford the changes, but most won't. The free trade aggrements especially like NAFTA has been shit. Also, reform the global economy, reform or replace the UN, IMF, WB, and the WTO. Remember the mess of the WTO talks? It's going to keep happening unless we get serious about the what's going on. Sure aid is solution, but only for the short term. It might saved lives with AIDS crisis. But when Bono said "lets' make poverty history" it's not so easy! I feel Bono is not telling, or doesn't know the whole story. Does Bono know about overpopluation, the arms trade, human rights, climate change (big problem!) war, woman rights (Bush cut funding to the UN Popluation Fund) and POWER POLITICS!. Bono I think should go back to school. Go to university. Learn different theories about politics, not just PROFESSOR SACHS views! I studied Political Science at university and I loved it! I do feel Bono is getting to touchy with Bush. A man who has cause so much misery for so many in the world. This man does not deserve any hugs or praise from anyone especially from the "spokesman for the poor" Bono.

In reference to my bono....
Easy there...if we could solve the myriad problems you mentioned...we would have a perfect world. Bono is probably aware of his detractors...and the alternate ideas. If he wasn't, he would probably be unable to do any persuasion.
The thing is, the things you seem to be asking for imply a revolution. Bono strikes me more as a reformer...working from the inside for little changes. I do think that it is presumptuous of you to say that Bono needs to go back to school, just because he holds an opinion and expresses a view that you disagree with.

Last edited:
Sorry if it's been posted, but I'm in the hotel restaurant using the computer. According to cspan.com, they're rerunning the Prayer Breakfast tomorrow at 10 a.m. (EST). I'm hoping so because I didn't get it taped.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/13789618.htm

Food for thought

Minnesota's Coleman becomes first Jew to lead National Prayer BreakfastBy Stephen J. LeeHerald Staff Writer

In a first-of-its-kind, Minnesota's own Sen. Norm Coleman helped lead the National Prayer Breakfast Thursday morning, introducing the star speaker, Bono, of the rock group U2.

A former Democrat who switched parties while mayor of St. Paul in the 1990s, Coleman called on his own rock 'n' roll past when bringing Bono to the dais.
As a former roadie in 1960s for the group Ten Years After, Coleman said he was in heaven introducing Bono, one of rock's megastars and one of the few who identify themselves as Christians.

Bono front and center

Wearing his trademark sunglasses, Bono made fun of himself, - as many critics have - saying he must have a "messianic complex," to want to be up front at the prayer breakfast.

He's forged a reputation as a celebrity who uses his fame to achieve good ends in the world, especially in funneling government and private money to help AIDS victims in Africa, and as a rock singer whose righteous crusading turns off some fans and critics.

Bono, promising to be good for anyone from the Federal Communications Commission listening for his usual use of the "F" word, kept his remarks bipartisan. At one point, he singled out Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., as a politician who has done effective work for AIDS victims.

He also urged politicians to do what the Scriptures of all three main religions of "the Book" command. Reading texts from the Hebrew Bible, the Muslims' Koran and the New Testament, Bono said all religions tell believers to care for the poor, the vulnerable and the defenseless.

One thing about America that surprised him was how many people tithe, giving 10 percent of their income to the work of the church, Bono said.

He challenged the politicians at the breakfast to think of aid to the world's poor as tithing and to double the United States' share, from 1 percent of the federal budget to 2 percent.

Bono said a wise man once told him to stop asking God to bless everything Bono was doing. Rather, get involved in what God was doing, the man told Bono. "It's already blessed."

Bono made Coleman's day by referring to him as "Norm."

Bush joins in

President George Bush also gibed Bono. "You know, I was trying to figure out what to say about Bono ..." And as the crowd laughed, Bono shot back, "Be careful."

Bush said Bono reminded him of a story about a Texas preacher
who always heard this one parishioner in the back pew jumping up at the end of a sermon and shouting, "Use me, Lord, use me."

Finally, the preacher told the man that if he was serious, he could paint the pews.

The next Sunday, the man jumped up and said, "Use me, Lord, use me, but only in an advisory capacity."

Bono isn't like that, Bush said as the laughter died down.

"So, I've gotten to know Bono. He's a doer. The thing about this good citizen of the world is he's used his position to get things done. You're an amazing guy, Bono. God bless you."

bearleft said:
Sorry if it's been posted, but I'm in the hotel restaurant using the computer. According to cspan.com, they're rerunning the Prayer Breakfast tomorrow at 10 a.m. (EST). I'm hoping so because I didn't get it taped.

Thanks bearleft.
Don't think that had been posted.

And :yes: they're rerunning it right now.

Bono is about to start speaking.

Last edited:
I see him now. They're having a prayer.

Something else I was thinking of that's so cool is that Bono can get to these people by using their own game against them! A hardass, drugged out rock star who sings about the devil couldn't to that, but Bono can! Because he's religious, or a believer, he can quote religious figures and writings and throw it in their faces, and if they're so holier than thou, or don't want to appear as hypocrites, they'll HAVE to listen to him and do what he wants! He's got 'em! :applaud: :bow: :up: :bono:

Last edited:
I found a link to download the video

http://rapid share.de/files/12434352/020206_Bono_National_Prayer_Breakfast.wmv.html

edit: apparantly the word rapid-share gets cut away here, so you know the drill, take out the space...blabla :wink:

Last edited:
greety said:
I found a link to download the video

http://rapid share.de/files/12434352/020206_Bono_National_Prayer_Breakfast.wmv.html

edit: apparantly the word rapid-share gets cut away here, so you know the drill, take out the space...blabla :wink:

thank yooouuuu :love:
I don't know why.. but I like to watch him speak like that.... or hear it... dunno.. it touches me in some way...

nenril said:
I spent like an hour trying to download it, finally cracked that damn CNN player, uploaded the vid to ysi and what? I'm late :grumpy:

I'm really sorry :sad:

I just found it in my mailbox, so I HAD to post it :hug:

thanks for the effort anyway, it's always much appreciated :up:

Great piccie too;)

how'd you crack it?
:bow:
that pic is gorgeous.. I love the orange shades! thanks for dewatermarking it! (that'd make a great hangman word.. dewatermarking.... :hmm: )

Back
Top Bottom