Makeup advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
I've started wearing makeup again (it's only been 10 years :eek: ) and I've figured out everything except what eye shadows might look good on me. I have fair skin, sort of medium brown hair and my eyes are kind of a mix between this and this . Could anyone suggest one or two colors that are more along the lines of a natural look? Links to said products would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Hey I can help you on this, really. Send me a picture of you and let me rack my brain.
I'm a trusted and talented makeup artist.
Willing to help!
cristaljade@hotmail.com

Last edited:
I don't know much about skin tones, but the one thing I can't live w/o is some kind of blush or bronzer. Nothing obvious where you're trying to change the color of your face, but some blush/bronzer on the cheeks and even just a tad in the nose, chin, and forehead gives you the "healthy glow". A lot of people go hog wild on the eyes but forget the entire rest of the face.

I have green eyes and love sage green shades of eyeshadow. My favorite eyeshadow is Smashbox. It lasts and doesn't tend to crease. It's made by the Max Factor family, so if you don't want to pay more you could try Max Factor eyeshadows.

I think the right shade of green works on blue eyes, also a very muted brown or taupe works on most eyes. Smashbox has great colors of shadow and blush that work for my skin, it's very pale and I have brown hair.

I think Sephora sells Smashbox too. The hottest thing now is foundation, eye, and lip primer that's supposed to make your makeup last longer. I haven't tried it but I'm dying to.

I use the Bare Essentials makeup and I love it! None of it is liquid. I honestly don't know how it works, but it manages to erase blemishes all day!

I also have blue eyes and I tend to use either brown or black liner and a soft pink shimmer or a champagne colored shimmer for the day. Those colors are light and natural. Then at night I add a darker color, sometimes I light brown or, depending on my mood/outfit, a blue. I think that, if you only use eyeshadow in small amounts, you can pull anything off! :)

I would advise you a soft grey/dark blue eye shadow (these colours for instance). It's a soft makeup but looks very nice on eyes with this colour.
You could try an eye liner, too. Go for a brown or dark purple colour if you don't like the black one, but I confess I have a soft spot for eye liners. Even with a think line it gives you a great gaze..:wink:
As for the lipstick, I'm not into coloured lipsticks cause I never feel comfortable with them. But did you try to put on a transparent gloss? It doesn't add weird colours but makes your lips look naturally 'pink'. I use the Agnes B. one (I don't know if you can order it in the US but I think any transparent gloss will be have the same effect). :)

Oh! I wanted that Bare Essentials! I thought of that as a lovely idea.
I guess it works great huh?

Advah said:
I would advise you a soft grey/dark blue eye shadow (these colours for instance). It's a soft makeup but looks very nice on eyes with this colour.
You could try an eye liner, too. Go for a brown or dark purple colour if you don't like the black one, but I confess I have a soft spot for eye liners. Even with a think line it gives you a great gaze..:wink:
As for the lipstick, I'm not into coloured lipsticks cause I never feel comfortable with them. But did you try to put on a transparent gloss? It doesn't add weird colours but makes your lips look naturally 'pink'. I use the Agnes B. one (I don't know if you can order it in the US but I think any transparent gloss will be have the same effect). :)

:up:

I think we have the exact same makeup sense! I :heart: eyeliner also!

I'm addicted to eyeliner! When I watch TV I always look at the actresses makeup rather than pay attention to the story..:shifty:

You all rock! I've gotten some warm browns but I'm definitely going to try the others out too. I was never good with eyeshadows so this was a huge help! :D

And now for eye liner...

Ok I have another question now! lol Now that I've gotten some great suggestions for eye shadow colors I need to know more about eye liner. I like my eyes the best and I think that I'd benefit bringing them out more. I don't want to be overdramatic but I want the attention on my eyes. So would a basic black achieve that or ...I dunno....what should I try? :cool:

EDIT: I saw the suggestions from Advah. :) Still open to suggestions though!

Last edited:
:heart: eyeliner :heart:

For normal, everyday wear, I usually line my top lid (thick or thin depending on my mood) only in a basic dark brown or black... usually brown. Then I line with black for evening wear :)

I hardly ever line my bottom lid because I end up with racoon eyes and that = not a good look on me! :huh:

I would start with a basic brown or black and just experiment. You can try different thicknesses of lines as well as different lengths. I usually draw my line out a little past the end of my eyelid so that my eye looks elongated... but it all depends on what you feel looks best on you. :)

I bought a couple of eyeliner colors today. How long is it going to take me to master this eyeliner stuff anyway? It's not easy! :ohmy:

I found it easy. But then again, I am a natural born artist.

I suggest lock yourself in the bathroom until you can get a straight line. Hehehe.:wink:

lol eyeliner can be a nightmare! Usually it takes me half an hour the first 3 days, and after that I could put it on with my eyes closed. (but watch out if start using it for several months, it'll be as if you'd never put some :mad: )
Some practical advice: I always put the liner with eyes almost closed when I look in the mirror, so that the line is almost straight. (sorry difficult to explain) It's the best way I found to make a natural line, because if you put the liner when your eyes are open, it'll be more difficult to make a line that fit your eyes.

I usually use black or purple liner, depending on the clothes I wear. I have brown eyes, brown thick hair and black thick lashes, so if I wear a black top with a black liner that's really too dark! :lol:
I never lid the bottom lid either: too dark, and I start crying whenever I laugh..:huh:

With your eyes Clarity, I think a metallic liner can be very beautiful for evening. For example: (still) Agnès B.

BTW, as it seems some of you ladies are makeup experts, can someone explain me how Alyssa Milano manages to have these perfectly curved lashed in some episods of Charmed???:eyebrow:

I hate the way I look without eyeliner. I would get it tattooed on if I were brave enough.

I used to only use liquid eyeliner (when I was a teenager), and then I switched to pencil eyeliners in my 20's and now I'm crap at using liquid. :huh:

Anyway, I have blue/green/grey eyes and usually use brown eyeliner, but sometimes use grey, black, or green. I do what hippy said and extend the liner a little bit on the top at the outside corner. I use a pretty thick line, but my eyes are sort of almond-shaped and I have big eyelids. I think I look strange without eyeliner/shadow under my lower lashes, but I think it all depends on your eye shape, really. :shrug::

I love having green eyes. I can work with so many different shadows. I have Mac and there is a pink lavender color that I put over my eye lids. Then I use a type of Crimson color on the edge and crease of my eyes. For a eye liner I use a darker crimson color. I put over my eye lids on top. It is ok if it falls under the eye alittle. Then a light color a light cream kinds yellow under the eyes brow area at the edge on top. I think mac has great colors and Prescriptives.

All this talk of eyeliner...

I think I am physically incapable of putting liner on my top lids. I put a little brown liner on the bottom and use a little black mascara (and then wipe most of it off with my fingers), and if I'm feeling snazzy, grey eyeshadow. If I'm feeling REALLY snazzy I might actually use a color :wink: It seems to work ok.

*boring*

Back
Top Bottom