Looking for pics of Edge smashing his guitar. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packcrush

The Fly
I'm looking for any pictures anyone may have of Edge smashing his guitar after playing "Gone" during the 2001 concert in Boston. I'd be very grateful if someone could post them here. Thanks very much.

Gavin. :)

This is all I have with that part.

a0200666.jpg

52e9b8b2.jpg

bc3ed46e.jpg

Never seen those or new of that before! I was just thinking today of bands that do that and I thought of Edge and then thought 'nah he'd never do a thing like that'... well hell, was I wrong. Any one know why he did it?

-Nikki

Hmm... I think he was angry because he felt like they'd totally screwed up on "Gone." He was mad at Larry or something? LOL

I heard somewhere that he did it because Larry was drumming too fast. The Edge tried to indicate to him to slow down a little, but Larry misread his signal and started to drum FASTER. The Edge had to play really fast to keep up, and that's why he was pissed. That's what I heard.

Junebug said:
I heard somewhere that he did it because Larry was drumming too fast. The Edge tried to indicate to him to slow down a little, but Larry misread his signal and started to drum FASTER. The Edge had to play really fast to keep up, and that's why he was pissed. That's what I heard.

To add to this, I heard the same thing, but also the reason why he wanted Larry to slow down was because he dropped his guitar pic. (Told it can be painful to play really fast like that on an electric guitar).

u2granny said:
This is all I have with that part.

bc3ed46e.jpg

:hmm: Why Edge isn't the bass player, and why you never see pics of Adam kicking his bass.

Sucker would really hurt or break your foot kicking it. Heavier and bigger than electric guitars.

Last edited:
Even though Larry screwed up, you've gotta admit that version of Gone kicked butt.

Lisa71 said:
Even though Larry screwed up, you've gotta admit that version of Gone kicked butt.

The version on the DVD is actually from the audio of another Boston show on the tour (not sure off hand which one it was).

And if you watch the video, you can see the colors of his Rik changing from the sunburst to black. The sunburst is the one that he threw down and kicked. The black one was played after that.

thrillme said:

(Told it can be painful to play really fast like that on an electric guitar).

Very. :huh: I was playing a gig with my old band a year ago, and I lost my pick during a fast song... Rather than compromise the performance, I kept playing as usual. My index finger and my middle finger were both bleeding at the end of it. Luckily it was our second to last song and we were able to end it early. So I can definitely relate to Edge's guitar-kicking experience, because I felt like doing the exact same thing.

(I didn't though - unlike Edge, I can't afford to kick a guitar around when I get pissed off :wink: )

:ohmy: Losing your pick during a performance sucks big time
I did that once, I was playing a really fast riff on one string and my pick flew about ten feet into the people in front of me. I had to keep going :madspit:
PAIN
I gotta say, Edge was kinda sexy when he was throwing his little tantrum

Junebug said:

And here I thought he was doing his impression of Pete Townsend;)

Last edited:
I remember hearing that Edge was basically upset because he thought they'd made a mess of the song, and he was quite embarrassed at the whole thing later on. My source, and I'll be damned if I remember who it was, this was four years ago, also claimed it was the only time Edge had smashed a guitar. Edge and Pete Townshend are good friends with alot of mutual respect, but no one would get them mixed up.

Edgette said:

The version on the DVD is actually from the audio of another Boston show on the tour (not sure off hand which one it was).

And if you watch the video, you can see the colors of his Rik changing from the sunburst to black. The sunburst is the one that he threw down and kicked. The black one was played after that.

I didn't know that. Damn, my image of that is ruined now
:sad: LOL just kidding. Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't really payed attention to the guitar during that part....other than it being kicked, that is. It was still kinda cute.

Correct me if i'm wrong but on the Live in Boston dvd wasn't there this part where they were showing the making elevation live and there was this part where Edge was visibly angry and screaming at Larry? This was somewhere just before the part where the guy says "... fucking 20 kilowatts of light..."(he was referring to Bono up against the lights at the end of "The Fly")

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom